Yowie

• Banned
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 11:17 AM

This thread shows a lot of undesirable type of things in the PNW
http://www.ifish.net...ad.php?t=148441
very cool read though
Not BF related

Yeah it is an unfortunate truth that the drug Meth has taken over a lot of lives destroying most of them... They have thought to take old campers out to the woods and make that crap, thinking no one will trip upon them. Now I have not found any active Meth lab camps but have found 2 sites where they were the year before, so it is a real danger and a shame...

Not only do these labs kill people daily with that crap they make, they destroy the environment with the harsh chemicals, and unfortunately they are usually near water so they pollute the lakes and streams also...

#22 fenris

fenris

Oh Mah

• Banned
  • 598 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 12:35 PM

I don't like to act like I'm sneaking around, because that could make them a little skittish. I try to keep a set routine so that I become predictable to them. I'm always amazed at how much the woods come alive when the animals get used to seeing me around. That's just what I do though.

Many people swear by other methods, including making a lot of noise or whatever and that's all good, because we all need to try different approaches to understand their behavior. Heck, it's darn near impossible to keep a bunch of friends quiet around a camp fire!

In warmer weather I set out the jungle hammock and "hang out" reading a book with music playing but not so loudly, just enough to be heard.
Enter the Wolf, "Out beyond the ideas of wrong-doing and right-doing" sang Rumi, "There is a field. I'll meet you there."

#23 MagniAesir

MagniAesir

Oh Mah

• Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 11:48 PM

I work with some of the chemicals used in making meth, and I can't understand why someone would intentionally put it into their body

#24 Huntster

Huntster

Sasquatch

• Skookum
  • 16,185 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 10:22 AM

Know who you go out with and the maturity level you can live with in them.

No doubt. I've learned that the hard way. I've been shot twice by hunting partners, and just a bit over a year ago lost a lot of gear in a forest fire started by yet another hunting partner.

I tend to prefer solitude more and more. Even though being by oneself is dangerous, I've found others to be even more dangerous..........

"God is dead" - Nietzsche
"Nietzsche is dead" - The Huntster

"The Huntster is dead" - An Unknown, Future, And Correct Sage

#25 Ace!

Ace!

Skunk Ape

• Banned
  • 3,162 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 10:58 AM

Wilderness Medicine Institute offers short-term first aid classes that are very informative. Many factors change when you're an hour away from the nearest help. Don't feel like you need to take a month long Wilderness EMT course, the basic Wilderness First Aid course will prepare you for 95% of the situations we would most like find ourselves (probably closer to 99%).

http://www.nols.edu/wmi/

On another note:
Remember the rule of 3s. 3 hours without shelter (meaning you'll get hypothermic and die if you don't have shelter), 3 days without water (bring a bit of water or a way to sterilize it), 3 weeks without food (meaning, don't worry about bringing food, it's the least of your worries). That's to put things in perspective. You don't need to bring meals into the woods for a day trip. A couple energy bars is probably enough to keep you from "starving" over the period of time you'll be lost.

Leave a note with where you're going
10-essentials (pick what works for you and know how to use it). If you have good gear and know how to use it, trust it. Just because you think you came in one way doesn't mean your compass is wrong. Your compass is right and your gut feeling is wrong. Practice makes perfect. After you're lost is not the time to learn how to use your gear.

If you get lost, stay where you are. Searchers will be looking for a needle in a haystack if you don't leave a note about where you're going. If that needle in the haystack moves around while they're looking for it, or jumps into a different haystack altogether you cripple the searchers chances of finding you. Make it easier for searchers. Don't move around unless there is danger where you are.

Yelling is futile, take a whistle and fire starting material, take bright colored material to tie to a tree branch. Signaling can become key.

Positive attitude
Stay where you are
Shelter
Don't move around
Signal
Stay where you are; make yourself as comfortable as can be, you'll be found in less than 72 hours.
A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having!
Justitia suum cuique distribuit

#26 Huntster

Huntster

Sasquatch

• Skookum
  • 16,185 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 01:32 PM

Remember the rule of 3s. 3 hours without shelter (meaning you'll get hypothermic and die if you don't have shelter), 3 days without water (bring a bit of water or a way to sterilize it), 3 weeks without food (meaning, don't worry about bringing food, it's the least of your worries).

I'd like to add to that:

You can survive:

3 Seconds without Thinking (meaning a wrong decision can kill you in seconds)
3 Hours without Shelter
3 Days without Water
3 Weeks without Food
3 Months without Hope (meaning that after about 3 months without being "saved", many give up hope, and make decisions that cost them their lives).

"God is dead" - Nietzsche
"Nietzsche is dead" - The Huntster

"The Huntster is dead" - An Unknown, Future, And Correct Sage

#27 Creekfreak

Creekfreak

Booger

• Inactive
  • 79 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 03:53 PM

Keep all body parts inside the golf cart at all times .

#28 Squatchdetective

Squatchdetective

Bukwas

• Inactive
  • 461 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 09:27 PM

Meth Labs are one thing, but more frequently depending on your climate, marijuana growing operations pose a significant risk as well. Moonshiners used to be the big one... but are much smaller now I think.

For those Squatching near the border... in the Arizona hills, Texas, again a lot of cartel activity.

Tis not the animal activity I generally am concerned with...its the humans!!!

PS: No running with scissors either!

Edited by Squatchdetective, 14 November 2010 - 09:28 PM.

Steve Kulls
Founder/Director:Squatchdetective.com
Host:Squatch-D TV
Sundays 8PM EST

@squatchdet

"Pro salus quod tutela nostri amplus quod pilosus amicitia."

#29 Bigtex

Bigtex

Oh Mah

• Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 07:55 AM

Great thread and posts here........as a life long hiker, I always tell people the most dangerous thing you will ever do out hiking is your next step! Watch your footing! I fell yesterday, and was extremely lucky I didn't do any serious damage to myself. I was REALLY paying attention too.

#30 tracker

tracker

Yowie

• Inactive
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 08:27 PM

The 3's rule. I imagine a person would be pretty weak in the third week without food or 3 days without water.

tracker's army survival tips.

Learn whats edible in the woods where you hike, even bugs. For the warmer season deep ventures bring a sheet of thin plastic to catch the morning dew laid out over a hole with a tiny rock in the middle so it will drip into your canteen underneath. That mouth full or two a day will keep you alive. And the sheet will fold up nice into a pocket.

Ok what about tips for when people become scared? They react differently and they forget the basics. Like a 3am visiter thats right outside your tent or something starts hunting or shadowing you? Or the human element, people messing with you or your campsite in the off season? What would you do it may or may not be dangerous, hmm?

Edited by tracker, 15 November 2010 - 08:30 PM.

"tracker,you make it look so easy! HOW do you get them on video?Are they just use to you being around?"par5sn2

Finding Sasquatch

#31 adamsclimber

adamsclimber

Booger

• Inactive
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 03:44 AM

Two very simple ones come to mind: If possible, go with someone reasonably familiar with the area, not always possible but recommended local knowledge of terrain can be invaluable.

The second I'll just put down to common sense if you're eye-balling that slope, log, rock, whatever obstacle and saying "I can make it" but your spidey sense is screaming "Don't do it ya D*** Fool" listen to the spidey sense and rethink the plan abit before committing.
If the good lord would have wanted us to be vegetarians...he'd of made broccoli more fun to shoot....

#32 Bigtex

Bigtex

Oh Mah

• Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 07:12 AM

Maybe this was already mentioned......but a trail or woods will always look different coming back through the opposite way. Always a good idea to turn around and look at the direction you just came from, and pick your area to do so that has memorable features that you will remember. And to those hikers (like me!) who like to hike without a compsass........watch out if some clouds roll in, and block your view of the sun.

#33 Squatchdetective

Squatchdetective

Bukwas

• Inactive
  • 461 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 08:45 AM

Good questions tracker.

If people are messing with my campsite, or there are people problems... it's time to move on, get out, etc. I think people that do that kind of stuff are crazy. To avoid that problem for the most part, never go it alone.

Something starts hunting me, time to change my own behaviors and access what exactly is going on. Shadowing me I do nothing, except try to be on the alert to make more observation.

As far as a 3AM visitor that's not human..it all depends on who it is.
Steve Kulls
Founder/Director:Squatchdetective.com
Host:Squatch-D TV
Sundays 8PM EST

@squatchdet

"Pro salus quod tutela nostri amplus quod pilosus amicitia."

#34 tracker

tracker

Yowie

• Inactive
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 01:17 PM

What's your plan for the late night visitors that are too close and bigger than racoons?

I confront with my led light, noise and weapon. In my opinion it's already made the decision for you by entering your campsite.
"tracker,you make it look so easy! HOW do you get them on video?Are they just use to you being around?"par5sn2

Finding Sasquatch

#35 tracker

tracker

Yowie

• Inactive
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 07:40 AM

Okay during the summer is easy enough to survive except maybe if injured.

What about in the winter if you have snow or no snow and you lost your own tracks.

What food and shelter/warmth resources are available in your neck of the woods where you search?

What if there's no snow but all the water is frozen solid and you can't break through for water or chips, what then?

Edited by tracker, 09 December 2010 - 07:41 AM.

Finding Sasquatch

#36 fenris

fenris

Oh Mah

• Banned
  • 598 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 08:08 AM

Okay during the summer is easy enough to survive except maybe if injured.

What about in the winter if you have snow or no snow and you lost your own tracks.

What food and shelter/warmth resources are available in your neck of the woods where you search?

What if there's no snow but all the water is frozen solid and you can't break through for water or chips, what then?

1) Warmth, don't under estimate the cold and it's effects
2) When working up a sweat, DON'T, sweat freezes, read above
3) get crampons for traction and/or snowshoes
4) A means for keeping batteries warm, they die quickly in extreme cold
Enter the Wolf, "Out beyond the ideas of wrong-doing and right-doing" sang Rumi, "There is a field. I'll meet you there."

#37 tracker

tracker

Yowie

• Inactive
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 12:56 PM

Hey fenris where have you've been ya old dog? :huh:

Where do you find water when everything frozen hard?

Here's one tip, people sometimes decorate their tree or house with them for xmas?

I throw in some more tips after some others have had their say.

Finding Sasquatch

#38 fenris

fenris

Oh Mah

• Banned
  • 598 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 01:35 PM

Hey fenris where have you've been ya old dog? :huh:

Where do you find water when everything frozen hard?

Here's one tip, people sometimes decorate their tree or house with them for xmas?

I throw in some more tips after some others have had their say.

you melt snow......

• Guests

Posted 09 December 2010 - 01:52 PM

I hope and pray I am never in a situationlike this but having a SPOT, knowing what is edible, and basic first aid and supplies are the best thing going.

Another thing you may want to think about, know what emergency services are available in your area and the skill level of the first responders. Not all rescue are EMT's. Helicopter rescue may or may not be a viable option due to weather, terrain, or the distance you are from a metropolitan area. Usually only tertiary centers have medivac, lifeline or whatever name your state uses for flight rescue. Take into consideration the time factor it will take for responders to get to you and get you out. This can determine what supplies you need to bring and how much. It's no fun waiting to be rescued only to have someone less competent than you show up, it happens though. It's a good thing to know what the county you are in has to offer so you can plan for the worst case scenario.

#40 tracker

tracker

Yowie

• Inactive
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 07:55 AM

Fenris, if you don't have a fire or a container for the snow how are you going to do it? with your wand Harry :D

Finding Sasquatch