Risks And Dangers Of The Trade

Guest tracker

As someone that truly loves being in the woods I am constantly trying to hone my "bushcraft" skills. It makes my time in the woods more enjoyable and helps me prove to my self that I can survive using the basics of bushcraft.

I enjoy reading the various bushcraft and survival books. One that I highly recommend is "Hawke's Green Beret Survival Manual" by Mykel Hawke. A nice hard bound survival book that is worth every penny.

You might have caught his survival show on the Discovery Channel, "Man, Woman, Wild", where he starred with his wife. One of the better survival shows on TV in my opinion.

Although I always carry the essentials that I need for survival while in the woods, it is good to know the basics of survival, just in case.

I don't know when this event happened that the survival show y'all are talking about was based on, or what security is in place in foreign countries but you can't carry all of those handy things on a plane now. Being a smoker, I have to think of ways to get past security. I usually hide a matchbook in my checkbook register. That wouldn't do me much good if my purse burned up in the plane. I don't know that you could get on a plane with a knife so you might not think to pick one up once you are in the foreign country, unless you just think that way in general, and never leave home without one. Since reading this, if I ever go anywhere like that, I think it will cross my mind now.

I don't know when this event happened that the survival show y'all are talking about was based on, or what security is in place in foreign countries but you can't carry all of those handy things on a plane now.

Good point. I failed to think of that. If they were on an aircraft, they couldn't possibly be in possession of anything of value.

I guess that's why I've gotten to the point where I try not to fly anywhere anymore.

Being a smoker, I have to think of ways to get past security. I usually hide a matchbook in my checkbook register. That wouldn't do me much good if my purse burned up in the plane.

You'd be better off dying in a plane crash in a backwater tropical jungle. Imagine being incarcerated for a few years in such a place for possessing matches on an aircraft.

I saw a few of those "I Shouldn't be Alive" shows and for the most part I tend to agree.

On the other hand, there was an episode of a guy who, sailing across the Atlantic in a 24' sailboat, found himself in his survival raft when his sailboat sank in a storm, and he floated about for 76 days until the Gulfstream landed him in the Caribbean.

That guy was one tough cookie.

Good point. I failed to think of that. If they were on an aircraft, they couldn't possibly be in possession of anything of value.

I guess that's why I've gotten to the point where I try not to fly anywhere anymore.

You'd be better off dying in a plane crash in a backwater tropical jungle. Imagine being incarcerated for a few years in such a place for possessing matches on an aircraft.

Well good lord Hunster, you wait until you are in the rental car to pull them out and light up, if they find them you just hand them over at the security gate. If I'm crashed in a jungle, I doubt anybody will point that out to me when we are in dire straights. :D

Edited by Jodie

Guest tracker

Even still, they could of tried to salvage something and made a go of preparing to survive long term. instead of just waiting for S&R like they would wait for the auto club to come & save their butts.

Anyone else thinking they would of cut their loses and would try to improve their survival chances alone or with a small group then wait to die?

Anyone else thinking they would of cut their loses and would try to improve their survival chances alone or with a small group then wait to die?

Even busted up like they were, I'd be thinking "shelter" and "fire" (fire is how you signal in such a place). Two of the three men were busted up real bad, and the third wasn't in great shape, either.

Jodie is right. I wasn't thinking. TSA would have taken my lighter and knife away (but they would be somewhere in that aircraft..........). But they did spend way too much time sitting down and crying during good daylight.

THIS is a great thread. :D Thanks Tracker! B) Sometimes it seems like the confidence thing.. I followed a friend into a national forest knowing he knew where we were heading. As we were into an hour of looking for a nest of a fairly rare raptor spp for photo purposes.. after an hour I asked him.. so.. where is the nest? He turned to me red faced and said.. I do not really know. But it is around here somewhere. CRAP ! Was I paying attention enroute to present location ? Of course not... I was working forest flowers and neat macro shots etc. It was like fern gully LOL. Mature trees and YES another friend said he heard woodknocks in there during winter.. so anyhow.. now its hour 3 and finally finally we start getting divebombed by these parents who are not cool with our presence so close to the nest. And yes we did find it and yes we nailed some decent shots. Now the problem was getting out because to be honest I paid little attention confident that it cannot be that hard..... guess what.. 3 hr later near dark we still were not quite sure..

was not life threatening but it could have been had it gone into night and extended into the second night... since I was wet and cold and not prepared... for a night there let alone more than that.. luckily an hour before sunset we hit the trail and came out 150 feet from the vehicle. Overconfidence and a false sense of security can be a player in accidents too. That pretty pink ribbon.. in the pocket.. NOT a bad idea.

Guest tracker

Overconfidence and a false sense of security can be a player in accidents too. That pretty pink ribbon.. in the pocket.. NOT a bad idea.

You said it treeknocker. those are some of the key reasons why we have fatalities in the wild. Always be prepared like your going on a solo trip even when with a group of experienced hikers/hunters. Who knows they may become injured or separated so you may be the one that has to save everyone butt by first saving yours and then going for help.

Guest ChrisBFRPKY

On the other hand, there was an episode of a guy who, sailing across the Atlantic in a 24' sailboat, found himself in his survival raft when his sailboat sank in a storm, and he floated about for 76 days until the Gulfstream landed him in the Caribbean.

That guy was one tough cookie.

I agree, there are some shows that demonstrate humans at their best too. The shows I don't approve of are the ones like the couple that gets seperated from a tour and decides to lay down and die. Oh, I have to watch my blood pressure during those. If someone is really trying, I give them an "A" for effort. The ones that leave me steamed are the ones that sit down on their backside and give up without even trying. I guess I have more respect for life than that, especially my own....Chris B.

Guest tracker

Yea i can't watch those ones or scary shows with stupid people either. You know, the ones where the victims drop the weapon right beside the phsyco after hitting him with a pillow or something? I find myself cheering for the killer to be rid of them quicker, is that bad ? :huh:

Edited by tracker

I'm not an outdoorsy person but I think from watching these kinds of shows and talking on forums like this that at least shelter would have crossed my mind. I did basket weaving surely I could make a lean to out of palms in a pinch.....maybe I need to practice. It might be one of those cases where it looks easier than it actually is. Even with a lighter, how do you start a fire with wet wood or kindling, or do you use trash from the plane wreck assuming it would be dry?

Guest vilnoori

Ya know it's not just forethought and being prepared, it's just plain old human ingenuity. It seems people just don't think the right way any more in a survival situation. Like in that book, Sahara...the fellow crashes in the Sahara. He has a rough idea where he is and the direction he needs to go. Does he stay put and thirst to death? No. He takes off a plane wing, breaks the wheel base and wheels off the rest of the plane, grabs some rope, and rigs himself up a sail on wheels. He's out of there within a couple days by windsailing out.

Think how we invented flint knapping. If you don't have a knife, or an axe, make one out of rock, fer pete's sake. It won't be fancy, and yes it will take experimentation and hard work, but its better than nothing. If you are in forest an axe is one of the most important pieces of equipment you can have. Do you know how to find rocks that create spark? Carry any metal? You can make a fire from a mirror, battery, etc. But do you really need fire? It's handy, yes...

Read about how the soldiers during the Civil war/war of independence used to have to cold camp to avoid betraying their presence to the enemy. Do what the animals do...find a tiny sheltered location with slight but adequate ventilation, fill it full of dry leaves/grass or whatever, and hunker down. Try to stay well fed. You don't need a gun to kill things to eat, you can use a net, a sling, heck, a sharp needle on a string with a bit of bread, floating in a duck pond. If you are good at throwing stones you can get yourself something. Snares are a dying art.

Unfortunately not many people do the scouts these days. Too bad...

Guest tracker

Hey cold camps are SOP( standard opperating proceedure) in the forces during all campaigns. Sure if your cold, wet or need to boil water or cook game get a fire going. Its great for signaling, keep it smokey during the day.

Personally when I am tracking/hunting or somewhere where I shouldn't be? I never sleep in the same location where the fire was. Can anyone give me some reasons for this tactic first before I talk about it?

Even with a lighter, how do you start a fire with wet wood or kindling, or do you use trash from the plane wreck assuming it would be dry?

Could be tough. I've been in situations where starting a fire was a long, painful process because everything was wet, or had frozen when soaked.

But with enough fuel, I can start a fire even with wet wood, and it appeared that the airplane wreck provided plenty of fuel.

The good thing is that wet and/or green wood when burnt produces much smoke. Good for rescue.