Need Help In Central Texas.........

Bigtex

I agree LM.....here are more pictures of the old tooth, plus some of the Cave where I found it. Tooth is well worn, probably explains how flat it is on top, and seems to be a bit different from Coyote teeth I have seen, bigger too. Part of the Cave looks excavated, and a shaft possibly dug in the back, covered in rubble now, might be worth cleaning out. The Cave shows sign of human habitation too, with signs of an old fire pit just outside the entrance, and heat damage to the rock face on that side (left of entrance). Also found some Flint skinning/cutting tools inside on the floor. For the early travelers up & down the Colorado River, this would have made a safe haven from the weather and a good hide out, as it is not far from the main body of the River. Thank you Steve for giving the Cave scale.

post-193-050931400 1317662232_thumb.jpg

post-193-000441100 1317662270_thumb.jpg

post-193-058588500 1317662288_thumb.jpg

post-193-073771900 1317662311_thumb.jpg

post-193-086418200 1317662325_thumb.jpg

post-193-075111500 1317662349_thumb.jpg

Finally got a rainstorm, however brief, but it dumped some much needed water, and filled my pool! Hopefully, the dirt will settle, and I can make a high-dive in a few days.

post-193-057611600 1318274889_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Great hiking weather, and many of the scattered pools have water again.......still need lots of rain though.

Retrieved one of my Game Cameras (Bushnell), and found this rather interesting photo of my little Fox friend. He lives in one of the area where I hike, and usually follows me when hiking without the Ridgeback......he seems to have a crush on my Rat Terrier. Didn't know Fox's could climb trees, he's way up there in the photo, and the bag of food was on the ground in the next shot.

post-193-039860100 1319052250_thumb.jpg

BFF Patron

Fox and the grapes? Was the bag empty on return? Had his climbing booties on you just can't see them.

Grease the tree next time and see how well the booties work then....... :ph34r: Sorry, slow day on the BFF.

The bag was empty......he had a feast, but might have been run off by two Raccoons a bit later, as they showed up in several photos not long after he got the bag down.

Here's an interesting photo......not my photo, but shows another reason local cats disappear.....they get eaten by bigger cats.

post-193-044334700 1319142867_thumb.jpg

BFF Patron

Some of the r/coons I've seen are much larger than a fox in some cases, two would definitely tend to intimidate, but not as much as a big cat would, lol. When I had cats, even my overweight house cat would chase down a fox....don't know what it would do if it caught it, that would have been another story.

You have to admit that fox had some agility to go vertical, stabilize and then problem-solve the bag problem. I'd bet that he probably just took a leaping grab and hit the ground. Great capture.

Hey Bipedalist...always good to hear from you. Here's a picture of the two Raccoon's, and were in several pictures. Also included a daytime picture of the bait tree, and shows just how impressive the Fox's climb was.

post-193-061980100 1319150156_thumb.jpg

post-193-053914600 1319150182_thumb.jpg

"Here's an interesting photo......not my photo, but shows another reason local cats disappear.....they get eaten by bigger cats."

BigTex

That pic is from todays local paper. There were two mountain lions in the yard at the same time.

NS

I am always on the lookout for dangerous wild game, and came upon this odd 'scat' left up in a tree. And after thorough examination, I have determined this is the most dangerous wild game of all......just glad I wasn't near the area when it went by!!!

Seriously.....this is a pretty remote area, and hadn't hiked through there in a few weeks......WTF? It looks like an expensive bra too.

I am always on the lookout for dangerous wild game, and came upon this odd 'scat' left up in a tree. And after thorough examination, I have determined this is the most dangerous wild game of all......just glad I wasn't near the area when it went by!!!

Seriously.....this is a pretty remote area, and hadn't hiked through there in a few weeks......WTF? It looks like an expensive bra too.

Also, the bra was hung perfectly up in the tree, but I would have needed a ladder......it was about 9 feet up there, and on one of my human/game trails.

post-193-017873400 1319814316_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bigtex

Here's another very odd find, and in an area I had never been before. Some kind of primitive alter, with napped pieces of flint cutting/skinning tools all over it. It was just strange, and gave me an eerie feeling. The flints looked like they were specifically placed on the alter over a period of time.......has anyone seen anything like this before? The base was made up of multiple flat stones, dry stacked, beautifully put together, and rock solid. My Rat Terrier gives it some scale.

I have hiked all around this area for years, but not in this particular section due to the density of the trees and underbrush. Decided to hack & bull my way through, and found a roughly 20 foot round clearing with this alter at one end......kind of a creepy place. I was going to leave a piece of flint myself, but there is no flint in the area, definitely brought in from elsewhere.

post-193-054767600 1319815908_thumb.jpg

post-193-003633700 1319815919_thumb.jpg

I have a bucket of flint skinning tools that I have found over the years, and some are pretty amazing. Gonna find a cool one, and leave it out there this weekend sometime. Thinking about leaving one of my BF Action Figures just in case:)

post-193-008342900 1319818620_thumb.jpg

• gigantor unlocked and featured this topic
  • gigantor unlocked this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor unpinned this topic
  • gigantor unlocked and pinned this topic
  • gigantor unlocked and pinned this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured and featured this topic