Need Help In Central Texas.........

Bigtex

Glad to hear you're OK, Bigtex. One of the nice things about universal health care in Canada is not having to worry about the cost of an ER visit, it's already come out of my pocket when I paid my taxes. I won't go into the politics of our system vs your's, that's not allowed here, but it works for me.

I certainly agree with your second paragraph, that's what keeps our volunteer SAR teams busy, as it's only minutes from city to very rugged wilderness throughout most of BC.

Hey JanV & BC......thanks for the posts and concern! Yes BC, you guys have a better system up there for sure......however, down here adding a suitable health care system to the existing welfare State/Nation does not go well together, plus it seems we like to spend our tax dollars on weapons of mass destruction instead........go figure:)

The dogs were with me, my Wolf was instantly there, and licking blood off my face as I was laid out on the ground......I could absolutely 'feel' her concern, sweet creature. I don't even recall walking back to my truck, or the drive home.

I was basically moving fast, and down a trail I've been down 100's of times before. Was ducking a tree branch, and caught a 2 inch broken off limb piece just back of my forehead, stabbing into my head, and knocking me backwards on my rump.

I always carry a phone too, just in case I don't come back. 

By the way......the weather is getting perfect for some night work out in my area, anyone interesting in teaming up in the near future:)?

Love to, Bigtex, but the gas to get there would cost me more than your ER visit would have cost you. :-0 Actually, I'm heading out on Sunday with a local group to scout for tracks in the hills, as we got a few inches of fresh snow in the last couple of days.

Thanks for the well-wishes, Bigtex, though I like to kid myself that it'll be our persistence and superior bushcraft that'll get the job done :good:

As for the white stuff, I live in the only part of Canada that gets almost none, as the Fraser Valley gets warm air off the Pacific most of the year. Once or twice each winter, though, we get outflow winds from the north that turn our usual rainfall to snow, very heavy up in the mountains, but usually quite light along the valley bottom. We got less than 6" where I live, but the mountain passes just 60 miles east of here were closed for 3 days, as they got about 4', and the avalanche hazard was extreme.

We have it easy in Central Texas.....just Rattlesnakes & Heat to keep you frosty:)

For all of you experienced hikers out there......please share some of your safety tips for those here that are beginners.

Here's a great one, it's always good to pack a compass, but day hikers usually don't, so here's the tip; if hiking in woods, about every quarter mile or so, and depending on the thickness (more often when thicker), locate a feature that stands out along the trail, pass it by until the next bend, or the feature is about to be out of site - turn around, study for a moment, and see how it looks coming from the other way.......the way it will look coming back. The same feature will look totally different when viewed from different directions........and how quickly you can get lost. A few strategic subtle limb breaks along the way helps too, as long as they are......yup, visible coming from the opposite direction.

Probably the biggest factor that contributes to hikers' confusion is underestimating distances and time it takes to cover distance on foot. That, and most people don't really know how long a mile/kilometer is.

If you are not an experienced walker, your frame of reference for time/distance is calibrated to motor vehicle speed. It takes a conscious effort to avoid that and use walking speed as your yardstick.  So, what usually happens is the inexperienced walker starts to think, "Hmm...I should have reached that trail junction/landmark/road crossing/stream long before now...I must have missed it!" When this degree of uncertainty and second-guessing takes hold, you are cooked.  You double-back, waste energy and then the REAL confusion sets in because you now have really lost your ability to gauge how far you've come, and how far you've got to go.

In the best of terrain, and on a clear trail without a heavy pack, most people are doing their very best to travel 3 mph. You have to know your own pace, and how long you've been walking to really judge how far you've come if you are a novice walker. You have to adjust that expectation for the terrain, weather, energy level. Too, you've got to accurately predict how far you need to go. An accurate  map is the best source of that information, but after enought trail time, you get an automatic feel for how much distance you've covered. Until you get to that point, pay very, very close attention.

I've been amazed sometimes, even after all the trail miles I've covered, how my mind will still fall back on these tendencies in a moment of weakness or stress. I could be bushwhacking across country with a definite boudary line (i.e., stream, road, utility r.o.w.) that I positively can't cross without knowing it..yet there is still that unease and uncertainty when I don't arrive at it within a predicted time. Obviously, I've either not been traveling as long/fast as I thought, or I underestimated the distance, or it could be all of these things.  It takes some assurance to stay on that focus, knowing you'll arrive eventually, and to not spin off on a weird tangent.    

Edited by WSA

Excellent WSA......keep 'em coming guys.

Here's another tip for warm weather hiking, particularly in the South.......you will often walk by ledges, rocks, rotting logs, etc., stay far enough away from the edges so that any snakes hiding underneath can't strike you. 

I'm gonna say that a snake bite is a Top 3 bad juju of things that can happen hiking, as help can be hours away. I always carry a snake bite kit when the possibility exists for poisonous snakes. Even though they discourage folks from using these kits, and to seek immediate help, if I'm out there alone and/or several miles from help, I'm gonna cut the X's and use the sucker ASAP. Anybody have any snake bite tips?

Bigtex, the last few posts are all excellent stuff, but I'm concerned that too few people will see them here. I think you should start a new thread specifically for hiking and outdoor hints and tips - something like "Outdoor Bushcraft - Come Back Safe"

Good point BC, and I did consider, but there seems to be a fair number of folks who follow this......so decided to do it here. The thread's been around since the old Forums, and a lotta different stuff has been discussed, plus I am hoping that other field researchers read this and can offer safety tips, never to old to learn a new trick:) 

• gigantor unlocked and featured this topic
  • gigantor unlocked this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor unpinned this topic
  • gigantor unlocked and pinned this topic
  • gigantor unlocked and pinned this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured and featured this topic