Need Help In Central Texas.........

Bigtex

Most excellent post JohnC.......good stuff for sure, and I always 'talk' to the woods. 'My' woods, or stomping grounds are in agony right now due to the drought, many trees and plants are dead or dying.

I love watching the videos taken of plants in fast motion, showing their movements, and makes them so alive. Their life-timing is so slow compared to ours, it's hard to think of them as moving creatures, but they are. One must always consider the life-timing of any creature studied, how it relates to the environment, your life-timing in comparison and actions in the woods. For example, what most humans would consider a casual glance, most critters would consider an act of aggression, due to their faster life-timing. There was an excellent old Star Trek episode that touched on this concept.........the Enterprise responded to a planetary distress signal, but there seemed to be nobody there. However, the life-timing of the inhabitants was so accelerated, they couldn't be seen, and their talking sounded like insects. I have found that this 'timing' issue between living organisms is a huge consideration. Having said this......the life-time of a human vs. Bigfoot must be very close.

Edited by Bigtex

Intelligence is another big one I think about  This one comes about from an old anthropology professor I had many years ago. We had a lengthy discussion about how we tend to project our own standards onto things. We think in our own terms. This could easily be applied to the measurement of intelligence. We think building things, making tools, mastering fire, these are signs of humanity, and therefore "intelligence". I suspect as science advances, and more and more obviously intelligent species are understood, we will have total rewrite on what we consider primitive, intelligent, etc. I think something can be very intelligent, very self aware, yet have an intelligence so different from our own, that the bridge of communication is going to take a whole new concept to get across. Since we are using star trek samples, think of the Next Generation and the episode where the alien race spoke through examples of historic stories. Sometimes conceptual stuff is hard to get perspective on. lol

I appreciate your post,  JohnC

If only our intelligence wasn't so easily "overruled" by our emotions.  While reading your comments above,...the term "arrogance of humanity" came to mind.....not what I consider an "intellectual" trait......but more so an emotional set of blinders. Perhaps I'm barkin' up the wrong tree. 

It seems that because we, as a whole,.. do consider our species' level of intelligence as the highest standard,.....we have developed the attitude that everything else is beneath us. We  have the similar attitudes about others within our own human family. I consider this "prejudiced belief" the main roadblock to discernment.  Making us unable to understand or recognize the possibility of different types of intellect....maybe comparable to,...some maybe superior to what we have....and I'm thinking some may be among creatures that exist already on this planet.

Because of  humanity's history of subjugation of "designated - less intelligent" forms....I'm concerned about how a potential hidden society might be treated...if ever revealed.

Is it possible that such a hidden society might be intelligent enough to read the handwriting on the wall?  I think so, yes!  I'd want to remain hidden as well

Having said all this........makes me think about....no,... understand why others on this forum don't really want to reveal too much.....truth.  I respect that!

Makes me think about why I, personally, want to discover the truth about them

Bigtex -      having gone off on one of my philosophical rantings again......I meant to comment on the drought in your area......wish y'all could've been on the receiving end of some of the rain we've been getting here in SE Texas.....I drove through Cleveland yesterday....and they still had a lot of water standing in yards and ditches....from 6-7inches that fell day before yesterday.    I'm concerned about what we'll be seeing, weather-wise, in the next few years.  Strangely,...I heard a single robin sound off early this morning.  I can't recall of ever having a robin down here this early in the year.....usually they don't arrive until late fall.....ahead of the 1st "cold" front.

Thanks guys......great stuff to think about!

As far as intelligence goes.......IMO, brain development follows the classic Bell Curve, and we are at the top of the bell. Consider this, if a machine based alien race came to Earth looking for intelligence, and they used our criteria, what would they be looking for? They would surely think that the mechanical based computers used during WWII were the kings. These were used for many military purposes, but mainly calculating artillery trajectories. If memory serves, these 'super computers' took up 3 stories in a building and 15,000 square feet! The cell phone in my hand is light years ahead of this technology, tiny in comparison, much more trouble free, lees maintenance, and uses very little power comparably speaking. Plus they can survive being slammed into a wall:) Everything follows a logical progression, and if you think about our wonderful brains more carefully, they are too big, vulnerable, susceptible to many negative things, take a lot of fuel to drive, and not very efficient........this is what my wife was saying about my brain:)

Do Insects and Reptiles have super computers in their heads, as they are much further down range on the Bell Curve? 

Edited by Bigtex

Here's an example of the drought in Central Texas, and the effects on trees. This is typical of what the Red Oaks are doing to fight for survival, and 95% of the ones I see are doing this.

The first picture shows the tree top, healthy looking with plenty of leaves. Can't see what's going on inside the trunk, but the tree is weak, and very susceptible to breaking off, as many already have.

The second photo is the same tree, with it's resources being devoted primarily to the new growth at the bottom, the future of the tree.......a sad tale indeed! 

post-193-0-88493300-1407170443_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-79062100-1407170501_thumb.jpg

Here's the dried out Deer again, with close-ups of the distressed areas. This one just appeared on the scene already dried up, and is kind of a head scratchier as to where it came from, and why it didn't get torn up & spread around like the majority of kills do. Obvious signs of trauma are a broken hind leg, hole in the gut, throat ripped in an odd way, and the lower mouth/tongue missing. There are several possibilities for what happened, but it just looked extremely odd from what I am used to seeing.

post-193-0-66039100-1407183466_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-09817400-1407183480_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-42125900-1407183491_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-06310500-1407183502_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bigtex

Odd,....the way the throat looks like a big chunk was chomped out....and I hate to say it,....but the lower jaw-tongue area looks kinda like some of the photos of cattle mutilations I've seen......don't mean to open a can of worms with that comment. 

I could let my imagination get carried away with that carcass.....have to wonder why - how it got there

Guest ewashguy56

Odd,....the way the throat looks like a big chunk was chomped out....and I hate to say it,....but the lower jaw-tongue area looks kinda like some of the photos of cattle mutilations I've seen......don't mean to open a can of worms with that comment. 

I could let my imagination get carried away with that carcass.....have to wonder why - how it got there

That ( cattle mutilation) was the first thing that popped into my head upon seeing these pics as well, but you never know.

The dried dead Deer is a weird one, and was located deep in woods, not in the open. I hike through this area often during the summer because it offers several watering holes for my pups, and am sure the other animals gather in this area for the same reason. If I were a predator, this is where I'd be hangin' out for sure. This particular dead Deer just appeared one day, and hadn't been there the day before.

Here's a very old print in Limestone, and mud has settled in the actual print........has BF been around this long? I find human sized prints in the Limestone around here often, but also big ones like this.

Was also by the Funnel the other day, and tried to take the trail shown down through there to the other side, avoiding the dense growth under the bridge, but could not do it safely - that trail, even though it looks easy, is treacherous with large loose boulders hidden under the grass/weeds, and had to go another way.......what the heck is making this trail?

post-193-0-05394700-1407255012_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-39263900-1407255338_thumb.jpg

How fine is that?  Thanks for sharing the print in limestone, especially!  I've read numerous accounts of large footprints preserved in stone...like that one,...while hunting for HWM-BF accounts recorded in old newspapers...I love it all

What are your thoughts on using hair catchers of some sort?    

I'm not sure HWM, what type? I try not to leave anything 'surveillance' oriented out in my areas. The occasional Game-Cam to gauge animal movement, but not for BF, as I am near positive they can detect the triggering devices used in any type of store-bought type, and know they are there. I have discussed before, I make my own Game-Cams, and they are completely undetectable to critters, as they don't give off any type of electrical field. However, I have to be very selective where I put these, and prefer to be camping in the area.........the components to make are a bit pricey for me, so I want to protect my investment. 

I call it The Dangerfield Effect, as these Bigfoot creatures don't get any respect for being as woods-smart as they are......they are the MASTERS of the woods and outdoors, and you have to be very careful carrying or leaving any type of visible technology in the woods.

Also, I have a very distinctive old pickup truck that I drive 'n park in my hiking/research areas near my town, and some how, the BF's have figured out where I live........so I will be respectful to them:) 

Here are a few more Limestone fossil prints.......I posted these before, but always worth another look.

post-193-0-54604000-1407261478_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-52124000-1407261512_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-98556100-1407261527_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bigtex

Maybe something natural for catching hair Bigtex. If you find a reason to clear some thicket from one spot, maybe place the cleared thicket so it partially obstructs one of their trails. Not fully obstruct it, as you don't want to make a statement, just partially, as in you did not intentionally block their trail, you where just being a messy hiker. Is there much burr or thorn based thicket around you could use? 

That sounds like the perfect way JohnC.........there are a few old barb-wired fences still out there too, and I always look on those when located close to the high-clearance BF Trails.

I'm not impressed by stacked rocks usually, but will post these pics anyway. One of the BF Trails that I follow, and shown in red, has a fork that heads down to one of the few places that holds water during the summer months, trail marked in blue, and the short rock stack (green arrow) at the fork........sorry for the blurry picture. The rock stack appeared in mid June, when the creeks started drying up. Also, you can see disturbance on the blue trail heading down to the creek & water source.......it sloops down pretty good, and found an interesting slide print, and shown below.

Speaking of old barbed wire fences, here's one that crosses a main BF Trail, and rocks holding the wires to the ground.........notice the poop on the flat rock, with hair in it no less, and must be some kind of animal territory marker, as they must be using the very old barbed wire fence line that runs for miles in the woods as their own marker. My guess is the fence was in the open once upon a long time ago, maybe early 1900's, now deep in the woods. Does any one know how to gauge the age of barbed wire by the type? 

post-193-0-53584800-1407263138_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-37897200-1407263315_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-18735900-1407263338_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-47889400-1407263735_thumb.jpg

• gigantor unlocked and featured this topic
  • gigantor unlocked this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor unpinned this topic
  • gigantor unlocked and pinned this topic
  • gigantor unlocked and pinned this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured and featured this topic