• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 BCCryptid

BCCryptid

Bukwas

• Inactive
  • 275 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 09:56 AM

BC, great report about the family sighting! Too bad it is so old though. Any knowledge as to whether the witness revealed the location to a serious researcher for follow-up investigation? Sounds like it could be "the one" that provides conclusive proof if they are still around.

Well, I thought the BFRO reports of the nest blocking the hiking trail, and group of hostile sasquatches guarding it, was "the one", and if we could only find the nest we would be shooting the definitive videos (dodging rocks no doubt) so I led an expedition to that area, with detailed instructions left as to where to find my body should I not return.

We didn't find a dang thing, no nest, no tracks, no tribe of hostile wookies, no signs whatsoever. I think the location instructions in the report were deliberately modified to hide the true location, which I suspect is up on Mt. Benson somewhere, which is the closest mountain to this sighting you are talking about, btw.

The Nanaimo Lakes region is a well-known hotspot on the island. Just give me two weeks paid leave and a team and I'll go in there!

If your investigating sasquatches on Vancouver Island, I really can't suggest a better area, really. Watch out for weed grow ops though, avoid tresspassing back there, and go in a small group.
"I never made an ape suit for Roger Patterson and there isn't anyone else who could have, not in those days."
John Chambers, Hollywood expert on primate costume design, in interview with Bobby Short, 1997.

#22 BCCryptid

BCCryptid

Bukwas

• Inactive
  • 275 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 03:10 PM

BFRO REPORT 27847
http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=27847

Daylight sighting and possible vocal warning on Vancouver Island outside Duncan (Show Printer-friendly Version)

YEAR: 2010

SEASON: Summer

MONTH: June

DATE: Sunday, 06

PROVINCE: British Columbia

LOCATION DETAILS: This sighting was on Mt.Sicker just outside duncan B.C. The clear cut area has been cut for a few years but they have recently started logging areas nearby. (Specific directions omitted upon request.)

NEAREST TOWN: Duncan

NEAREST ROAD: Highway 1

OBSERVED: A friend and I were 4x4ing up in the back woods just outside of Duncan. We pulled up onto a look out on the top of a mountain in a clear cut area. The area is full of rolling ridges and hills. As we were sitting there I was looking out over the area and right near a bit or a ridge about 300-400 feet I saw a figure walking. It looked like it was on 2 feet approx...8 mabey 9 feet, kind of hard to tell at that distance. As soon as i realized i was seeing something i watched as it dropped down the ridge and dissapeared (this was around 9:30 pm) Jokingly i said to my friend "i think i saw a SAMSQUATCH"....quite often youll see a stump and go "hey is that a bear" but this thing didnt move like a bear. It looked like it was between 8-9 feet, his shoulders seemed slumped and draped in long black and brown hair, his arms seemed to hang lower than his waist and his head was a long oval again draped in hair... and then he was gone.

So we had out little laugh ya know, im seeing things.. 10-15 minutes later we were sitting there talking and my friend heard a noise at about the 2 o'clock position from the front of my jeep, we didnt pay to much attention but as we sat there we kept hearing it... Like a low deep grunt. We kept hearing the noise but only when we weren't really paying attention. Finally we got out of the jeep figuring mabey we will hear it better.. Needless to say i picked up some rocks and i started throwing them into the bush at first i through them towards the 5'oclock position and and then towards the 2 oclock. That got no results so my friend started yelling random things towards the bush making an echo... still nothing... we then moved back towards my jeep we were standing near the passenger side door when all of a sudden we heard that loud deep grunt again but this time it was coming from the 5'oclock position no more than 20 feet away from us. We heard no crashing through the bush even though the noise moved from the front of the jeep to the back of the jeep. This noise was like nothing i have heard before... the only way i can desribe it would be like 10 dogs in perfect synchronization letting out 1 short grunting bark at a time... It had so much bass that it just cut through the air... Instantly the hair was standing on the back of our necks and we ran back into the jeep. We then spun the jeep around to try and see anything with the headlights... with no luck, so we got out of there for about the next 3-5 kilometers driving down the mountain (about 15 kmh) it felt like we were being watched it was creepy. Its like whatever i think i saw travelled through the bush in front of us beside us and then up behind us.

ALSO NOTICED: There was a small black and white bird that kept squawking around us the whole time we were there. As the big noise that was close to us happend he was swooping around right around us..

OTHER WITNESSES: Me and my friend. We had just driven up to the lookout spot and hadnt been there more than 5 mintues

OTHER STORIES: Not in the same area, but more in the cowichan valley.

TIME AND CONDITIONS: I saw the creature at about 9:30 it was clear (we were above the clouds)and still bright.

The sounds started 10 minutes after that and proceeded untill about 10:10 when the noise was heard 20 feet behind us.. by this time the light was dissapearing and headlights were starting to be needed.

ENVIRONMENT: Top of the mountain in a clear cut area with rolling hills and ridges surrounded by pine and fir trees in behind us.
"I never made an ape suit for Roger Patterson and there isn't anyone else who could have, not in those days."
John Chambers, Hollywood expert on primate costume design, in interview with Bobby Short, 1997.

#23 Huntster

Huntster

Sasquatch

• Skookum
  • 16,443 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 03:24 PM

BCCryptid,

Did ya like Robs or mine better ? If ya liked mine, then I'm glad ta hear it.

I liked yours better. For example, the one with the squatch gathering water plants in shallow water and eating it. It looked more appropriate and thoughtful of sasquatch activities.

Did you do the one with the bicyclist near Ketchikan? The eyes on the cyclist looked appropriate......... :lol:

"God is dead" - Nietzsche
"Nietzsche is dead" - The Huntster

"The Huntster is dead" - An Unknown, Future, And Correct Sage

#24 BCCryptid

BCCryptid

Bukwas

• Inactive
  • 275 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 03:44 PM

I liked yours better. For example, the one with the squatch gathering water plants in shallow water and eating it. It looked more appropriate and thoughtful of sasquatch activities.

Did you do the one with the bicyclist near Ketchikan? The eyes on the cyclist looked appropriate......... :lol:

I agree, I can still remember the one of the sasquatch gathering plants, it was gorgeous!

#25 Squatchaholic

Squatchaholic

Chiye-tanka

• Members
  • 766 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 05:29 PM

I agree, I can still remember the one of the sasquatch gathering plants, it was gorgeous!

Appreciate the heads up on the bicyclist sighting. The 1st chapter is free in Google docs, looks like a heck of a read.

#26 Penamunde

Penamunde

Booger

• Banned
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 05:48 PM

We (our group) spent three and a half months on the island last year worked with several islanders and a group from the Vancouver BC
Area. We helped them with some equipment and they put us in to some great areas.

We spent a lot of time doing night observation from several boats with bait stations, BC do you have any stats on the number of sightings at the shore line?

We met a good group of people and down to earth as well. Some of us will be returning in march to continue our work.
Vance Dillon
Member of the O-6 (Orig-6)

The measure of success is never allowing others to obstruct it.

#27 BCCryptid

BCCryptid

Bukwas

• Inactive
  • 275 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 10:07 AM

We (our group) spent three and a half months on the island last year worked with several islanders and a group from the Vancouver BC
Area. We helped them with some equipment and they put us in to some great areas.

We spent a lot of time doing night observation from several boats with bait stations, BC do you have any stats on the number of sightings at the shore line?

We met a good group of people and down to earth as well. Some of us will be returning in march to continue our work.

Hardly any I'm afraid. There are far more shoreline sightings in Alaska, for example. Most sightings on Van. Island are highway crossings or hunters/hikers on trails/logging roads.

What areas did you get into?

#28 BCCryptid

BCCryptid

Bukwas

• Inactive
  • 275 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 10:49 AM

Tracks Report - Mt Arrowsmith

Submitted November 4, 2006

"Hello....my name is Anne Charlton. I live in the area of Mt. Arrowsmith foothills [near Nanaimo, Vancouver Island]. I am not usually a believer in the Bigfoot as such but I wanted to share what I saw last week in the area where I walk my dogs behind my rural home....

When I first saw the footprint, my first thought was...why was someone out here bare feet in this kind of weather and terrain???...then I looked closer...the sun was low so showed up the print perfectly...it was on an old logging road in the sandy top soil...this is what I observed....I lined up my running shoe with the print to have an idea of how big it was...it was approximately four inches longer than my shoe which I measured when I got home...this measurement was approx. 15-16 inches in length...the width of the front of the ball of the foot was approx. 7-8 inches...the print was of a left foot which was slightly curved inwards not unlike a baby's foot with only the outside of the foot making an indentation. It had a fairly pronounced heel - it also only appeared to have four toes, which were about two inches or more in length. I then realized that perhaps this could be a bear print....checking what rear bear footprints look like, this was nothing like them....after seeing one footprint I looked for more and found a second almost identical print a few feet forward of the first one. I did not find any more however as the prints led into the forest - this area is adjacent to a magnificent, steep, jungle-like ravine leading down to the Englishman River with old growth forest...

Please let me know what you think..."

src: http://www.ufobc.ca/...land2006_v2.htm

#29 BCCryptid

BCCryptid

Bukwas

• Inactive
  • 275 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 10:50 AM

Sasquatch Sightings on Vancouver Island

By Graham Andrews, Alberni Valley Times

13-Nov-2002

The West Coast rumour mill is abuzz as several people have reported sightings of huge creatures resembling the legendary Sasquatch.

People claim to have seen the creatures on the highway between Port Alberni and Tofino, on Radar Hill and Long Beach, and to have heard them howling in Indian Bay.

Arnold Frank and his nephew Patrick Frank claim to have seen one of the creatures twice. The first sighting for the men allegedly occurred as the two men were out walking in the woods, Arnold said. They heard heavy footsteps crashing through the forest, he said, and then saw a part of the creature.

"We just saw some real big orange eyes, real high off the ground," Arnold said.

A few nights later, the two men were driving along the highway at about 10:30 p.m. when they pulled over at a rest stop.

Arnold said he saw the creature dashing into the woods. But he¹s certain that it wasn¹t a bear.

"We both figured it was too big to be a bear," Arnold said. "And bears don¹t walk on two legs."

Frank estimated that the creature was between seven feet and eight feet tall, walked on two legs and had brilliant orange eyes.

He added that he was scared each time he saw the creature. "To see something that big would scare anybody," he said.

Arnold¹s brother, Alex, also claims to have heard the creatures howling around Indian Bay. "There's a weird howling sound going on around Indian Bay during the day," he said.

Another elderly woman claims to have seen one of the creatures crossing the road in front of her car. The gigantic biped allegedly stopped in front of her car, and looked directly at her before disappearing into the bush.

While tales of Sasquatch-like creatures are an international phenomenon, concrete proof of the beast's existence is rare and usually subject to scrutiny from the disbelieving majority.

But Sasquatch also has a place in the history of Nuu-chah-nulth people. Jessie Hamilton, an elder with the Hupacasath First Nation, recalled a story of one Hupacasath ancestor who went up into the mountains where he encountered the creature.

"One of our ancestors came across one in one of the mountains," she said. "He saw it and didn¹t know what it was."

As the story has it, the man attempted to hide from the beast by wrapping himself in a blanket. While wrapped in the blanket, the man was allegedly picked up by the great creature, and twirled around before being set back down.

Hamilton said that sightings of Sasquatch, or cacuuqhsta as his name is in the Nuu-chah-nulth language, are not unheard of, but are usually confined to the west side of the island.

"He was seen by different tribes on the other side of the island," she said. But it surprised her that the creature has been spotted so low in elevation. She speculated that the beast may have been driven into lower elevations by a lack of precipitation in the mountains over the past couple of months.

"It surprises me that he was seen so low," she said. "He may be looking for water."

src: http://www.ufobc.ca/...asquatch_v2.htm

#30 BCCryptid

BCCryptid

Bukwas

• Inactive
  • 275 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 11:00 AM

The 'Tale' of Muchalat Harry

Whether you accept Muchalat's story or not, it holds a central place in the legends of the sasquatch on Vancouver Island. The area this is from is still an excellent investigation area today, close to Nootka Sound, Ursus Valley, Meares Island, all reported locations.

"According to the Indians, there was once a large number of Bigfoot living on Vancouver Island, a large island, 12,408 square miles in area, off the west coast of British Columbia. The Indians knew about them, feared them, and respected them, but granted that they were harmless. One of the Indians of the Nootka Tribe, who lived at Nootka in 1928, claims to have been carried off by them and held captive for some time.
The story, told to me by Father Anthony Terhaar of Mt. Angel Abbey in Oregon, is a curious one. Father Anthony, a much-loved missionary priest who traveled the west coast of Vancouver Island for many years, was living at Nootka at the time of the story and he knew Muchalat Harry very well. Muchalat Harry was a trapper and something of a rarity among his fellow tribesmen. He was, according to Father Anthony, a tough, fearless man, of excellent physique.

In the course of his trapping; he was wont to spend long weeks in the forest alone, something that the average Indian did not do in those days, The Indians of the coast were apparently a rather timid people and they seemed to regard the deep forest as the home and territory of the Bigfoot. When they went into the deep inland forest for any reason, they never went alone. Muchalat Harry was different from other Indians. He went in the forest alone and feared nothing.

Late one autumn Muchalat Harry set off for the woods, with his traps and camping gear. His plan was to set out a trap line and stay in the woods for several months. He headed for his favorite hunting area, the Conuma River, at the head of Tlupana Inlet. From Nootka he paddled his own canoe to the mouth of the Conuma. There he cached the canoe and headed upstream on foot. Approximately twelve miles upstream he made his base camp and, after building himself a lean-to, started to put out his trap line.

One night, while wrapped in his blankets and clad only in his underwear, he was suddenly picked up by a huge male Bigfoot and carried off into the hills. He was not carried very far, probably a distance of about two or three miles, at the most. When daylight came he was able to see that he was in a sort of camp, under a high rock shelf and surrounded by some twenty Bigfoot They were of all sexes and sizes. For some time, they stood around him and stared at him. The males to the front of the curious group females behind them and young ones to the rear. Muchalat Harry was frightened at first and his fear grew to terror when he noticed, he said, the large number of bones lying around the campsite. When he saw these he was convinced that the Bigfeet were going to eat him.

The Bigfeet did not harm him in any way. Occasionally one came forward and touched him, as if feeling him, and when they discovered that his "skin" was loose — it was in fact his woolen underwear — several came forward and pulled at it gently.
While they looked at him and examined him, Muchalat Harry sat with his back to the rock wall and did not move. He was cold and hungry, but his thoughts were only on escape. Some time in the late afternoon, curiosity on the part of the Bigfeet seemed to slacken and with most of the Bigfeet out of camp, probably food-gathering he thought, there came the opportunity that he needed. He leapt to his feet and ran for his life, never looking back. He ran downhill, toward where he guessed the river to be and sure enough, he soon came to his campsite. In what must have been blind panic he bypassed his camp and ran for twelve miles to where his canoe was cached at the mouth of the Conuma.

Father Anthony describes the story of Muchalat Harry’s arrival at Nootka as follows. It was probably three in the morning. He and his brother Benedictines were asleep and the village was quiet. Suddenly there was a series of wild cries from the waters of the inlet. Lights were lit and he and others hurried down to the water's edge. There, near-frozen and exhausted in his canoe, lay Muchalat Harry. He was barefoot and clad only in his wet and torn underwear and he had paddled his canoe through the winter night 45 miles from the mouth of the Conuma River.

Father Anthony and his companions carried the almost lifeless form up from the water's edge. It took three weeks to nurse Muchalat Harry back to sanity and good health. Father Anthony, who took him into his own care, did the nursing and he told me [Peter Byrne] that during the course of these three weeks, Muchalat Harry's hair turned to pure white.

The story of the kidnapping came out slowly. At first Muchalat Harry would talk to no one. Then he told Father Anthony what had happened and, later, others. When he was fully recovered to health he was asked when he planned to go back to collect his belongings, the camp equipment, his pots and pans, his trap line and above all, his rifle, at the lean-to on the Conuma. In 1928 a trap line and all of its pieces must have been worth a great deal to an island Indian. A rifle alone would be regarded as a highly prized possession. But Muchalat Harry never went back to the Conuma. Not only did he never return there; according to Father Anthony, he never left the settlement at Nootka, never went in the woods again for the rest of his life. He preferred to lose all of his valuables and probably hard-won possessions rather than risk another encounter with the Bigfeet.

Late in 1972 I had occasion to visit Vancouver Island. I was on a routine investigating trip and when I found myself at Nainimo, not too far by road from the west coast and the scene of Muchalat Harry's adventure, I drove there. I stopped in Gold River and obtained from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police some maps and instructions on how to get to the Conuma River area. Nowadays there is a logging road that runs all the way down to the mouth of the river, and one Sunday morning, with the logging trucks out of the way, I drove there and made camp on the Conuma. I spent several days there, walking the riverbed and exploring. I tried to make a rough determination of where Muchalat Harry might have had his lean-to and I found a place that offered a good campsite, twelve miles from the mouth of the river on the edge of a series of high bluffs. The salmon were running in the Conuma while I was there and all night long I could hear them splashing up the shallow waters of the river. In the morning black bear worked the river, getting the salmon that had come ashore in the night or had become tangled in the limbs of fallen trees that lay in the river. I counted six bears in several days.

The country was generally wild and deserted and the actual mouth of the Conuma, where it flowed into the salt waters of the inlet, was one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. Some of the forest close to the river had been logged off, but the logging work had moved on west and while I was there it was quiet.
The days began with morning mists on the river and then warmed to the clear crispness of perfect autumn weather. Evenings were cool and damp and nights bright with starlight that provided almost enough light to read. I found no sign of Bigfoot on the Conuma, nor any sign of Muchalat Harry's trap line or lean-to. I hardly expected to find anything of the latter, after forty-odd years. But even though Muchalat Harry was long gone, the river and the forest remained unchanged, The splashing salmon, the cold, clear water of the Conuma, the moss-covered banks, the shallow pools in the forest that the Conuma drained, that were the breeding places of the salmon, the river birds, the plodding bears, the deep silent waters of the inlet, all were as they must have been forty years before, when Muchalat Harry cached his canoe and made his camp there.

The story of Muchalat Harry is not discussed much these days. Loren Coleman, in his book Bigfoot! The True Story of Apes in America, theorizes this may be due to two factors. First, the number of sasquatches reported by Harry, an amazing twenty of different genders, sizes, and ages, makes the account just too much for many to swallow. Second, the native origins of the story may have caused it to be mostly ignored in the years immediately after the incident allegedly occurred. Certainly, it is possible these factors were, and maybe still are, at play. My theory on why the story is not well known is simpler. It is due to what I call the "Silver Medal" factor. Allow me to explain. Typically, people do not remember who finished second in an athletic contest. You can probably recall the gold medal heroics of Olympians like Muhammad Ali, Jesse Owens, Mark Spitz, and Carl Lewis. More recently you may have watched Michael Phelps, Lindsey Vonn, and Shaun White win gold medals. Can anyone out there remember the names of the silver medalists? Probably not. It may be that Muchalat Harry's abduction tale has simply been deemed to be the second most interesting sasquatch abduction story behind Albert Ostman's account. In other words, Muchalat Harry gets the "silver medal" and, therefore, less attention.

I find the story fascinating. It is, of course, impossible for me to know if Harry was telling the truth about what happened to him in the wilderness near the Conuma River in the Autumn of 1928. What is not up for debate is that whatever happened changed Muchalat Harry forever. By all accounts, Harry was a fearless man who would spend weeks to months at a time in the forest alone. This, as was pointed out by Byrne, is in stark contrast to his fellow tribesmen at the time. If the missionary, Father Anthony Terhaar, is to be believed, Muchalat Harry's hair turned stark white over a period of only a few weeks and he never again entered the forest. Harry did not even go back to retrieve his rifle, trap line, and other possessions. The equipment Muchalat Harry left behind would have been worth quite a bit to an island Indian. The decision to leave it all in the woods indicates there was real fear in Harry.

There seems to be little doubt that the main players in the drama were real people. Father Anthony Terhaar was interviewed directly by Peter Byrne. Byrne seemed to have no doubt that Muchalat Harry had been a real person. While Harry was never interviewed by Byrne, his tale was well known among his fellow tribesmen who heard the story directly from his lips. Even had this not been the case it would seem Father Anthony Terhaar would have no reason to make up such a tale. Everything I've read about the good Father has been positive. He was respected and well thought of by those that knew him. Certainly, there was no financial incentive to share the story.

I believe something truly terrifying happened to the Nootka tribesman called Muchalat Harry. Whether the events played out exactly as described to Peter Byrne by Father Anthony Terhaar is something each person will have to decide for themselves. Many have a problem with the almost super human effort Muchalat Harry allegedly exerted to get away from the band of sasquatches. If the story is to be believed, he sprinted from two to three miles to the river near his camp site, then ran approximately twelve miles to the mouth of the river where he had cached his canoe, and then paddled forty-five miles back to his village. This is something a normal human could not have done according to many. I'm not so sure. Modern athletes today compete in "Iron Man" triathlons where they swim five miles or more, ride a bike for 100 miles, and then run a full twenty-six mile marathon. If this is within the realm of human ability then Muchalat Harry's escape seems possible. Byrne himself wrote that Harry was an exceptional physical specimen. When you add the fact that the man felt he was literally running for his life it seems more plausible. Fear and adrenaline are a powerful combination. It is no wonder it took three weeks of bed rest for Harry to recover from his ordeal.

Why a sasquatch would kidnap a human is another question all together. Was Muchalat Harry right? Did the sasquatches intend to make a meal of him? It seems unlikely. If that had been the intent why wouldn't the sasquatches have dispatched him once he was brought to their "camp?" Why would the males and most of the mature females leave him unattended if he were considered prey? Nourishment and calories are too precious in the wild to be treated so carelessly. Was Muchalat Harry merely a curiosity? Something along the lines of a sasquatch show and tell item? One can only speculate.

In any case, the tale of Muchalat Harry is, in my opinion, truly one of the sasquatch "classics." It is a story that is hard to believe in the light of day. Like many such tales, however, it gets a lot easier to believe when out in the woods alone at that certain time after the campfire has died out and dawn is still hours away."

src: http://texascryptidh...f-muchalat.html

#31 BCCryptid

BCCryptid

Bukwas

• Inactive
  • 275 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 04:08 PM

Sasquatch Sightings on Vancouver Island

By Graham Andrews, Alberni Valley Times

13-Nov-2002

The West Coast rumour mill is abuzz as several people have reported sightings of huge creatures resembling the legendary Sasquatch.

People claim to have seen the creatures on the highway between Port Alberni and Tofino, on Radar Hill and Long Beach, and to have heard them howling in Indian Bay.

Arnold Frank and his nephew Patrick Frank claim to have seen one of the creatures twice. The first sighting for the men allegedly occurred as the two men were out walking in the woods, Arnold said. They heard heavy footsteps crashing through the forest, he said, and then saw a part of the creature.

"We just saw some real big orange eyes, real high off the ground," Arnold said.

A few nights later, the two men were driving along the highway at about 10:30 p.m. when they pulled over at a rest stop.

Arnold said he saw the creature dashing into the woods. But he¹s certain that it wasn¹t a bear.

"We both figured it was too big to be a bear," Arnold said. "And bears don¹t walk on two legs."

Frank estimated that the creature was between seven feet and eight feet tall, walked on two legs and had brilliant orange eyes.

He added that he was scared each time he saw the creature. "To see something that big would scare anybody," he said.

Arnold¹s brother, Alex, also claims to have heard the creatures howling around Indian Bay. "There's a weird howling sound going on around Indian Bay during the day," he said.

Another elderly woman claims to have seen one of the creatures crossing the road in front of her car. The gigantic biped allegedly stopped in front of her car, and looked directly at her before disappearing into the bush.

While tales of Sasquatch-like creatures are an international phenomenon, concrete proof of the beast's existence is rare and usually subject to scrutiny from the disbelieving majority.

But Sasquatch also has a place in the history of Nuu-chah-nulth people. Jessie Hamilton, an elder with the Hupacasath First Nation, recalled a story of one Hupacasath ancestor who went up into the mountains where he encountered the creature.

"One of our ancestors came across one in one of the mountains," she said. "He saw it and didn¹t know what it was."

As the story has it, the man attempted to hide from the beast by wrapping himself in a blanket. While wrapped in the blanket, the man was allegedly picked up by the great creature, and twirled around before being set back down.

Hamilton said that sightings of Sasquatch, or cacuuqhsta as his name is in the Nuu-chah-nulth language, are not unheard of, but are usually confined to the west side of the island.

"He was seen by different tribes on the other side of the island," she said. But it surprised her that the creature has been spotted so low in elevation. She speculated that the beast may have been driven into lower elevations by a lack of precipitation in the mountains over the past couple of months.

"It surprises me that he was seen so low," she said. "He may be looking for water."

Local conservation officers said they had received no reports of Sasquatch sightings to date.

#32 PBeaton

PBeaton

Bigfoot

• Members
  • 4,496 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 01:34 PM

Hunster,
Sorry ta take so long, no, didn't do the guy on the bike. Glad ya liked mine just the same.

Pat...

#33 tirademan

tirademan

Wildman

• Sésquac
  • 223 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 04:17 PM

Here's an interesting story I found recently after Chris Murphy said he was looking for more BC stories.

Also a couple of old, but good ones from that area mentioning Island sightings.

tirademan

Attached Files

#34 MagniAesir

MagniAesir

Oh Mah

• Members
  • 570 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 08:39 PM

Nice to see some Van Isle reports

#35 PBeaton

PBeaton

Bigfoot

• Members
  • 4,496 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 09:34 AM

Tirademan,

Nice find. Although the first story said the subject had no shoulders or arms, an a tail. ???

Pat...

#36 tirademan

tirademan

Wildman

• Sésquac
  • 223 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 12:14 PM

Tirademan,

Nice find. Although the first story said the subject had no shoulders or arms, an a tail. ???

Pat...

Pat, on the surface (pun intended), that would seem to disqualify this creature as a sasquatch, but I'd argue the conditions might not have been perfect for these witnesses. If it was a swimming sasquatch, they might not have seen it's arms and a tail could have been it's legs kicking. Who knows? But they do describe a human like head and said it looked like a monkey when it blinked. If it were a seal or something like it, you would think they would have recognized it.

I'm not saying it was a squatch for sure, but I'd argue that when people see one, they describe it as best they can, depending on the situation and what is actually visible. This is also why I feel "bear mis-indentification" is a red herring.

Anyway, just thought it was another odd story of a human/monkey like creature!

tirademan

ps- even thought it's not quite on topic, I'll post another story I found of an odd swimming creature seen, so you can compare them..."no ears" on this one!

Attached Files

Edited by tirademan, 02 November 2010 - 12:18 PM.

#37 PBeaton

PBeaton

Bigfoot

• Members
  • 4,496 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 12:11 PM

Pat, on the surface (pun intended), that would seem to disqualify this creature as a sasquatch, but I'd argue the conditions might not have been perfect for these witnesses. If it was a swimming sasquatch, they might not have seen it's arms and a tail could have been it's legs kicking. Who knows? But they do describe a human like head and said it looked like a monkey when it blinked. If it were a seal or something like it, you would think they would have recognized it.

I'm not saying it was a squatch for sure, but I'd argue that when people see one, they describe it as best they can, depending on the situation and what is actually visible. This is also why I feel "bear mis-indentification" is a red herring.

Anyway, just thought it was another odd story of a human/monkey like creature!

tirademan

ps- even thought it's not quite on topic, I'll post another story I found of an odd swimming creature seen, so you can compare them..."no ears" on this one!

Huh ! Cool !

Pat...

#38 BCCryptid

BCCryptid

Bukwas

• Inactive
  • 275 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:53 AM

YEAR: 1987

SEASON: Summer

MONTH: August

PROVINCE: British Columbia

LOCATION DETAILS: Whiskey Creek, Vancouver Island. The location is a small gravel pit very close to the entrance of the Little Qualicum Falls Park

NEAREST TOWN: Qualicum Beach

NEAREST ROAD: Hwy 4a (Alberni Hwy)

OBSERVED: The following is a true and accurate account of a Sasquatch sighting by myself and two companions during the summer of 1987. This occured in a small gravel pit just off of the Port Alberni Highway near Cameron lake on Vancouver Island.

At approximately 11:00 pm on a Saturday night during the summer, myself and two friends arrived at the Whiskey Creek Pit as a result of a rumor that we had heard about a get together of young people at this location (All three of us were 18 years of age at the time.) I was the driver and had pulled my car off the highway and drove to approximately the centre of the pit. The rumor of the get together had been false as the pit was completely deserted. As I was about to back up and turn the car around, my friend in the front seat pointed out what appeared to be a set of eyes looking at us from out of the darkness at the western edge of the pit. I distinctly recall thinking the eyes likely belonged to a bear. Out of curiosity, I decided to turn the car in that direction and drove a little closer. As we approached, I turned on the high beams in order for us to get a better look.

There, caught in my headlights, standing at the base of the western edge of the pit was a creature that was clearly not a bear. We were positioned about 50-75 feet away and had a clear unobstructed view. It was very tall (around 7 feet) and very muscular with long arms. The creature stood very still and had a form similar to a human only much larger. It was covered completely in long dark hair with the exception of its face. The creatures eyes had a distinct orange glow about them from our headlights as it was looking directly at us almost as though it was stunned or it thought we couldn’t see it.

For a few moments there was a period of complete silence in the car as all three of us tried to take in what we were looking at. Then I remember being overcome by an overwhelming sense of fear as every hair on the back of my neck stood straight up. My friend in the front passenger seat started yelling at me to get the hell out of there. My other friend in the back also became very anxious and started screaming “let’s go! let’s go!” At that point, I put the car in reverse and began to back up and exit the pit. The last glimpse I managed to get of the creature was of it turning around as well.

We quickly left the pit and headed out on the highway for about a mile before I pulled the car over and stopped. Once we had collected ourselves, we discussed going back but decided against it as we were still too freaked out over what we had seen. However, a few days later we got together again with the intent to go look for footprints. We searched the general area in daylight but failed to discover anything discernable. We did find areas on the sandy banks of the pit that clearly showed something very large had climbed over several times.

ALSO NOTICED: Areas of the sandy banks had been disturbed but no distinct footprints were found.

OTHER WITNESSES: Myself and two friends (all in my car)

OTHER STORIES: Yes. In 2004 there was a report on Chek TV about two ladies driving to Port Alberni and sighting a large bi-pedal creature crossing the highway. This occured very close to the location of the pit. I've also heard of other sightings in the area but they are undocumented.

TIME AND CONDITIONS: Approximately 2300 hrs. In darkness under a clear sky.

ENVIRONMENT: Gravel Pit. At the time it was accessible by car although since then its been blocked off to vehicles. Second growth forest around the edges of the pit as well as smaller alder trees.

(From BFRO site)

#39 cdobranski

cdobranski

Booger

• Inactive
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 12:33 PM

Awesome thread i love reading sightings from the Island. I am from alberta but i have worked out of Sayward(Kelsey Bay) on a fishing boat. I had a Man tell me a story.

When he was young he was fishing for rock cod walking the coast his area was along "a cliff" but it was only about 10 feet high off the ocean for about 5kms. He told me he was going along the edge and was coming to a area were there is a little beach 50 feet long then back to the cliffs when he comes around the corner he sees 3 squatches with a few crabs in their hands and in his words he "squeeked" they all turned sharply made direct eye contact and one let out a very loud howl just like a wolf. He ran back home as fast as he could. he refused to tell people for 20 years and just lately started telling people.

Creepy. When i was there i didnt see anything. Maybe ill send a email to my cousin who lives in Tahsis which is by Tofino to see if he has any stories.

#40 BCCryptid

BCCryptid

Bukwas

• Inactive
  • 275 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:43 PM

Location: Nanaimo River, Chemainus River, Islands. sightings by local tribes covering decades.

Have had many correspondences with local native woman who has had experiences with the sasquatch in her tribal area since she was a little girl. They used to walk past her house on the wy to the river and bang on the sides of it as they walked by. Numerous family member reports, reports of young swinging in trees on side of river, reports of tree banging and ground thumping and sightings on her current island residence after native logging started. She reports that they used to only be along the river when the fish were running, now they are there year round. Activity is also increasing (perhaps due to disturbance of logging now going on in various reserves by native loggers).

PM me for additional questions and details, locations will be withheld and tribal permission is required for investigating on any reserve.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users