• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 BigfootBeliever

BigfootBeliever

Booger

• Readers
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 09:09 PM

I realize there have been several posts in the News Feeds, but I thought I'd mention it here, too. Bob Saget's new show premieres tomorrow, Tuesday November 30th, on the A&E network. At 9:30 pm CST, the second episode airing is entitled "Let's Go Squatching - The Search for Bigfoot." It looks to be a fun episode. Episode information is available here: Strange Days Episode 2.

Edited by BigfootBeliever, 29 November 2010 - 09:09 PM.

#2 HRPuffnstuff

HRPuffnstuff

Sasquatch

• Sésquac
  • 5,297 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 05:01 AM

Saw that earlier this morning when setting up the DVR schedule for tonight. Sounds cool.... :)
I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself,
A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough
without ever having felt sorry for itself.

D.H. Lawrence

#3 Greldek

Greldek

Booger

• Inactive
  • 65 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 04:55 PM

I hope they put full episodes up online, either on A&E's site, or on Hulu. A&E is one of the few channels that offers online streaming for most of their shows, so there is a good chance. Especially if it is popular.

Edited by Greldek, 30 November 2010 - 04:55 PM.

#4 ChrisBFRPKY

ChrisBFRPKY

Bigfoot

• Members
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 10:37 PM

I watched the episode with the BFRO outing. As it was presented, I got the impression the episode does not elevate the reputations of Bigfoot researchers. I don't like those kind of shows/interviews myself. Possibly it was the editing process that was unkind. I don't know, but I just got the impression the show portrayed Matt Moneymaker and the other guys as a bunch of hooligans/weirdos with hi tech equipment. The investigation procedures observed in the episode: 1. Farting in a sound dish......2. Nice close up on the yells (compare that segment to the news team having the trailer park resident describe what the tornado sounded like.) then more later at the bait station activities.......3. presentation of facts: "Bigfoot loves beer." I didn't know that myself. I wonder what brand of beer Bigfoot normally drinks? Nice going guys....very professional.
Chris B.

Chris Bennett
Squatchdetective Radio Thursday Nights 8 PM EST
Bigfoot Research Project of Kentucky
BFRPKY.com
BigfootResearchProject.com

#5 Spazmo

Spazmo

Chiye-tanka

• Inactive
  • 807 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 11:02 PM

Dang it.
I was afraid of that.
I saw a clip on Facebook where Bob buys Bobo a Samurai sword. It was only a minute or so, and I figured it was funny. I have the episode on the DVR at home, and now I'm wondering how it will leave me feeling when I get home and watch it.

#6 ajciani

ajciani

Oh Mah

• Inactive
  • 673 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 01:15 AM

I got the impression the episode does not elevate the reputations of Bigfoot researchers. ... Possibly it was the editing process that was unkind. I don't know, but I just got the impression the show portrayed Matt Moneymaker and the other guys as a bunch of hooligans/weirdos with hi tech equipment.

But doesn't that pretty much describe the BFRO? (dives for cover).

And yes, Bobo carries that sword around for some of the episode.

On the plus side, they got a possible response to one of their calls, which Mr. Saget seemed quite happy about. Matt proved that woodland rats do show up on a thermal camera, as well as rocks. He also proved that a passenger in his car is a brave man indeed! Or maybe that was the editing?

All-in-all, I would say the episode was a plus for bigfooting, as they got a possible response to a simulated vocalization, which is more than some monster dedicated shows have gotten. It was certainly a minus for the BFRO, or is the saying, "even bad press is good press"?

#7 Squatchaholic

Squatchaholic

Chiye-tanka

• Members
  • 766 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 01:50 AM

I watched the episode with the BFRO outing. As it was presented, I got the impression the episode does not elevate the reputations of Bigfoot researchers. I don't like those kind of shows/interviews myself. Possibly it was the editing process that was unkind. I don't know, but I just got the impression the show portrayed Matt Moneymaker and the other guys as a bunch of hooligans/weirdos with hi tech equipment. The investigation procedures observed in the episode: 1. Farting in a sound dish......2. Nice close up on the yells (compare that segment to the news team having the trailer park resident describe what the tornado sounded like.) then more later at the bait station activities.......3. presentation of facts: "Bigfoot loves beer." I didn't know that myself. I wonder what brand of beer Bigfoot normally drinks? Nice going guys....very professional.
Chris B.

Yes, you called it Chris. Elevate the weird and off-beat. I wish someone could do a straight ahead show with some action. Not turning it into a realty bit.

#8 JohnCartwright

JohnCartwright

Chiye-tanka

• Members
  • 944 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 07:08 AM

It's a comedy show. Bob Saget is a comedian. What did you expect?
If you don't like me, bite me. - Steven "Indy" Pickett RIP

There are just some people in Bigfootery that simply give that heebie jeebie EB feeling. You know, where your whole body shivers and you exclaim YUCK! I get that feeling from John Cartwright, especially when he proclaims he's the WGBH. My dog has more class.- Skookumqwest

#9 Bigfoot Proof

Bigfoot Proof

Wildman

• Inactive
  • 170 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 08:21 AM

I felt the show was an overall embarrassment. No BF researcher should agree to any interviews, talk shows or documentaries unless it made perfectly clear, this is a very serious subject matter and any attempt at levity will not be tolerated.

It's time to be taken seriously.

Edited by Bigfoot Proof, 01 December 2010 - 08:21 AM.

Timid Forest Dwellers

#10 Knuck

Knuck

Bukwas

• Inactive
  • 250 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 08:35 AM

Saget is a comedian, and a damn sorry one at that. (Consider ALL the great shows he has had over thirty years). The BFRO stepped on thier collective junk by going on that show.IMHO-Knuck

#11 Yeti1974

Yeti1974

Bukwas

• Inactive
  • 481 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 08:55 AM

Yep. If you couldn't figure out that this was going to be a spoof going into it, then you need to spend less time in the woods, and less time worrying about your own self-importance.

#12 yetifan

yetifan

Yowie

• Inactive
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 11:04 AM

I thought the show was quite good...funny and fairly informative. When Saget said that Moneymaker was driving the car with his testicles I actually chortled. Maybe guffawed, not sure.

#13 apgrok1

apgrok1

Booger

• Inactive
  • 55 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 11:27 AM

My wife puts up with my sasquatch interest by ignoring it. However, when she heard the squatch response in real time on the show, she sat up and paid attention. I think most "non-believers" would have that reaction. They would tune in under the premise that Bob Saget would have a funny show making fun of stupid Bigfoot hillbillies, only to have their jaw drop when they heard Bigfoot call back. No matter how the BFRO was portrayed in his show, they were redeemed when the squatch howled back.

#14 ChrisBFRPKY

ChrisBFRPKY

Bigfoot

• Members
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 11:36 AM

To be fair, I really believe the BFRO were victims of the edit. I'm sure Matt and the Guys/Gals are all professionals but the segments left in the show made for a poor presentation of professionalism. I did enjoy the response they got, it was the high point of the show for me. Chris B.

Chris Bennett
Squatchdetective Radio Thursday Nights 8 PM EST
Bigfoot Research Project of Kentucky
BFRPKY.com
BigfootResearchProject.com

#15 Greldek

Greldek

Booger

• Inactive
  • 65 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 11:42 AM

Just an FYI for anyone without cable, Strange Days first two episodes are up on AETV.com (A&E's official website).

#16 Spazmo

Spazmo

Chiye-tanka

• Inactive
  • 807 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 12:18 PM

To be fair, I really believe the BFRO were victims of the edit. I'm sure Matt and the Guys/Gals are all professionals but the segments left in the show made for a poor presentation of professionalism. I did enjoy the response they got, it was the high point of the show for me. Chris B.

Having worked with the BFRO on several projects (lending tech support), I can say that your assessment is correct. They are professionals, they do take it seriously. And I agree that the final edit is probably more responsible for the feel of the show than anything else.
My problem is that shows like this are going to attract a lot of followers from a social standpoint rather than a research standpoint, and that this type of show has the potential to reduce Sasquatch research to something tantamount to seeing Elvis on a piece of toast. I'm not saying this show specifically does that, but that this show and others like it have this potential, and it's troubling.

#17 PBeaton

PBeaton

Bigfoot

• Members
  • 4,515 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 02:50 PM

I don't know quite what to make of it. Bobs a comedian so the programs goin' ta try a be funny, that's a givin'. Shoot, I love havin' a good laugh an a good ol' time, but...I think it pretty much just made it look like sasquatch research is carried out by...call'm what ya will. Moneymakers drivin'...huh. I don't know, the BFRO got publicity...doesn't mean anythin' to me. Normally I try an catch the repeat later if somethin' is of interest, in this case I didn't bother.
Just my two pennies...

Pat...

#18 Spazmo

Spazmo

Chiye-tanka

• Inactive
  • 807 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 05:34 PM

I watched the entire episode this morning (instead of snippets here and there) and I have to say, I liked it. But that's from a viewer's perspective, not a BF enthusiasts.

#19 BobZenor

BobZenor

Yeti

• Sésquac
  • 2,309 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 07:11 PM

I liked it a lot. I laughed a few times. I appreciated that at least they are having a good time at it. They aren't going to find it any sooner if they don't have fun with it. Bob looked like he had a great time for the most part as did most of the bigfooters.

#20 gerrykleier

gerrykleier

Wildman

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 07:35 PM

I thought it was a fun, lighthearted show and the BFRO and Bigfootery in general was given a thumbs up. Saget seemed genuinely interested in the subject it was handled a lot better than it almost ever is in mainstream media. The 'makin' fun of bigfooters' parts were warm and not at all pointed or cynical. Realize how great the potential for mockery was here... "Driving with his testicles" (I laughed at that too), "Meats and sweets", the amplified fart, finding...a rat!-the comedy was aimed at a mainstream audience and will play well with them. I presume the audience will end up liking the 'footers. Lightweight as far as what Sasquatch 'facts' were presented, but it was a comedy show, not a serious investigation of the subject and never pretended to be anything else. You could do way worse than invite Saget and his crew along for a ride.

Edited by gerrykleier, 01 December 2010 - 07:36 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users