• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#21 alford anthony

alford anthony

Booger

• Inactive
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:07 AM

Why not.I now live in St.Louis in a town of 20 thousand plus. I have one acre of property with a 4 to 5 ft hurricane fence and have had deer in my yard on two occasions.There are no wooded areas around? AND NO I DIDNT SHOOT THEM,THAY WERE OUT OF SEASON :hunter:

#22 Guest_Jodie_*

Guest_Jodie_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:51 AM

Best way to figure out if something can be seen in your area is to pick the route you are thinking of and try it out for yourself with one of those kiddy night vision binoculars for about 40 dollars. Then have a friend watch to see if they can see you coming or going.

http://www.google.co...ed=0CKoBEPMCMAI

We had a bear come through town last October via the river system in broad daylight. According to the DNR, I was the only one that called to report it which shows you how unobservant most folks are.

#23 Cervelo

Cervelo

Bigfoot

• Banned
  • 4,793 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:06 AM

I gotta tell ya unless someone is already using a power line right of way and has established a path (dirt bikes or 4wheelers)
They are not that easy to navigate on foot, the few I've stumbled across(lost) while hunting where a wall of new growth, briars, shrubs, ect.
The woods where much easier to navigate.
IMO this is one of those "theroies" that get suggested and morph into fact after they are repeated enough times.
These things look real easy to navigate on google earth no doubt!
Go find one start walking it then see what you
"think for yourself".

#24 summitwalker

summitwalker

Bukwas

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:16 AM

No one has taken a decent picture of one (that I have seen) since 1967 (if the PGF is real) so I doubt they would be hiking through towns or even living anywhere near populated areas that did not back onto huge forests...otherwise they wouldn't be a mystery at all. IMHO.

Cheers

Edited by summitwalker, 04 March 2012 - 09:17 AM.

#25 notgiganto

notgiganto

Yowie

• Inactive
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:16 AM

I would rather push and duck my way through dense laurels and rhododendron.
Open areas like that = walls of briars and rose bushes. Some of them taller than most folks. Not fun.
Very good point, Cerv.
I may believe in the possibility of the existence of relict populations of undiscovered hominoid creatures, but I didn't just fall off the turnip truck...

I don't think that what 'bigfootery' is searching for is Gigantopithecus, or even a descendant thereof...but I reserve the right to be wrong :)

#26 ShadowBorn

ShadowBorn

Oh Mah

• Members
  • 588 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:18 AM

Path of least resistance is always going to be the best for any animal including Bigfoot.Trails ,powerlines ,river beds you name it they will travel it.
"vini fortis, fortior est rex, et mulieres fortiores tamen, sed super omnia autem vincit veritas."
"wine is strong,the king is stronger,and women stronger yet,but truth conquers above all."

#27 Sasfooty

Sasfooty

Yeti

• Members
  • 2,965 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:17 AM

I think Cervelo's right about the power line right of ways. Most reoprts of them being seen in a right of way, say they were crossing it, rather than following it. I do know for a fact, though that they run railroad tracks.

Those who dance are considered insane by those who cannot hear the music.

It's better to walk alone than with a crowd going in the wrong direction.

Please note that anything I post is likely to be "IMO" & not subject to being offered up with proof.

http://soundcloud.com/sasfooty

#28 JDL

JDL

Yeti

• Sésquac
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:19 AM

The rights of way are probably more valuable to them as fringe habitat that attracts deer.
For those who have not personally encountered a bigfoot, the proponent/skeptic debate comes down to nothing more than opposing belief systems.

#29 dogu4

dogu4

Yowie

• Inactive
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:34 PM

Whenever I read of a report from a presumably populated area, such as the Anarundel area in suburban DC, I like to check out Google Earth to see what "populated" means...and in those cases where the reports seem realistic to me I typically find that there are overgrown areas of drainage or preserved wildlands connecting to the area's hinterlands. Even during the day humans rarely if ever really go into the overgrown areas in their neighborhoods and at night people are almost functionally night-blind when it comes to seeing into a landscape, and rarely can see beyond the projected beam of their flashlights or headlights. If BF exists with the kinds of intelligences one might expect for a close relative to humans to have, as many seem to think they are, then they could possibly be quite close on occasion and yet avoid detection. Cheers

#30 BFSleuth

BFSleuth

Sasquatch

• Banned
  • 5,037 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:19 PM

There has been a lot of discussion of habitat and travel "corridors" that BF take. Corridors can be train tracks, streams or other waterways, wooded areas, or power lines. With enough connections between what at first appear to be smallish wooded areas, like ravines near surburban sprawl, many large animals can have enough area to roam.

I remember talking with a park ranger for a county park on Puget Sound. He told me that there were cougars and at least three herds of deer that moved from ravine to ravine up and down the beaches and railways on the Sound at night to get to their ravine hideaways in the day. The sighting near Sea-Tac airport was just off of one of those ravines.

#31 dogu4

dogu4

Yowie

• Inactive
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:19 AM

Interesting question. A few years ago I read a report by a researcher who was curious about just how observant humans were regarding their surroundings at night. He lived in what he described as a fairly normal suburban residential area; nice houses, front and back yards, street lights, sidewalks...the vinyl siding jungle as it's sometimes called. To find out how observant people are at night he walked at night and just watched and was impressed by how seemingly innocuous most people were to his presence even when he was in fairly close proximity, like right along the boundary of these small backyard fences, even though he wasn't hiding or using trees or bushes to hide behind. It is worth keeping in mind that street lighting and house lighting, as well as auto headlights and flashlights, and even campfires, don't actually permit us to see much beyond what we purposely illuminate, and in fact our eyes actually never really adjust to the dark unless we spend ten or fifteen minutes in darkness, which almost no modern human these days ever do on a regular basis. The ability to have light at our command and to illuminate our immediate surroundings means that our night vision never has the time to fully deploy and while it's not all that good compared to the night vision of creatures that have adapted to nocturnal lives, such as cats and flying squirrels, it rarely reaches its potential while we go about normal well lighted activities.

#32 See-Te-Cah NC

See-Te-Cah NC

Chief Administrator

• FMT
  • 8,089 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:52 AM

I have an area that I am currently researching. This area has it all... A major river, power lines and railroad tracks. Yet something else that I find to be of extreme interest is a natural gas pipeline easement that runs very nearby to this river area. As a matter of fact, all of these easements cross the river at one point or another along the way.

The interest in the natural gas pipelines is this - They are well-groomed, being constantly maintained to allow access. I have walked these pipeline easements and can tell you that the travel is easy as compared to power lines, which are not as well manicured. If I was a bigfoot, I'd utilize these easements due to the ease of travel they provide. These easements run along in some very remote areas, but they also come pretty close to urban areas, and become moreso as humans continue to encroach on these more remote areas. There are some documented reports of bigfoot sightings in my area. Is it a coincidence that three of these sightings occured within a half mile of these gas pipelines? One of these reports actually occured in an area where these pipelines crossed a roadway. I have also interviewed residents of the area that have chosen not to report their sightings. Coincidentally, these residents also live within close proximity to these pipeline right-of-ways.

All of the easements mentioned could be used by a bigfoot to traverse distances without detection. Yet the gas pipeline seems to be a perfect avenue of travel... Easy going, remote and easy to monitor insofar as maintaining visual perspective.

The point is that nobody really monitors these areas. It seems that a bigfoot could use these to get around, and in doing so could indeed come into contact with a town and it's citizens. When it does come close to a populated area it becomes more likely that it will be spotted, as I have postulated.

As soon as I get another game camera I will set it up along this pipeline. No baiting or anything else, just a camera pointed down the easement along the route where the residents have seen the creature.

Chief Administrator
Forum Management Team

Please consider joining the forum's Premium Membership Plan if you are 18 years of age, have made 75 or more posts and have a warning status of 2 strikes or less.

You'll find much more content and forums available for you as a Premium Member. For more info please contact an Administrator who will be more specific about the additional content afforded and walk you through the registration process.

JOIN the Premium Forums!

#33 See-Te-Cah NC

See-Te-Cah NC

Chief Administrator

• FMT
  • 8,089 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:30 AM

I remember reading another report (maybe on BFRO) submitted by a fellow from a small town in Montana. He worked in a donut shop and had to get to work at about 3AM in order to start the donuts for the morning. One very cold and snowy morning he looked out the front window of the shop and saw a bigfoot walking right down the main street of town. He said he stepped out in front of the shop and watched the bigfoot walk a couple of blocks down the street and turn onto a small side street, where he lost sight of him.

There could be another incident from Montana, but I believe that report was from Colorado. I've included it here: http://www.bfro.net/...ort.asp?id=3185

A good read for sure.

A note to all members:

The topic "Through Towns" was merged into this one.

Edited by See-Te-Cah NC, 06 March 2012 - 10:31 AM.
To make note of a topic merge

Chief Administrator
Forum Management Team

Please consider joining the forum's Premium Membership Plan if you are 18 years of age, have made 75 or more posts and have a warning status of 2 strikes or less.

You'll find much more content and forums available for you as a Premium Member. For more info please contact an Administrator who will be more specific about the additional content afforded and walk you through the registration process.

JOIN the Premium Forums!

#34 indiefoot

indiefoot

Yowie

• Members
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:46 AM

I watch people pull across three three lanes of traffic, illegally, to get at a local McDonalds. I suspect we might have a generation of BF that have developed a taste for prepared food and have taken risks to get to it. Many of the rest of us have.

#35 GrapeApe

GrapeApe

Booger

• Inactive
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:19 PM

Coyote in central park, NYC. Once, anyway. 'Nuff said! ;)

#36 Martin

Martin

Bukwas

• Readers
  • 369 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:40 PM

No one has taken a decent picture of one (that I have seen) since 1967 (if the PGF is real) so I doubt they would be hiking through towns or even living anywhere near populated areas that did not back onto huge forests...otherwise they wouldn't be a mystery at all. IMHO.

Cheers

+1

Evidently they come into peoples homes, dumpster dive at Walmart and show up nearly everywhere.... and in herds.
However please note that they are also very, very elusive.
They can also tell if there is a game cam within .5 miles and if it is functioning properly.
M

#37 xspider1

xspider1

Yeti

• Members
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 11:27 PM

Good topic. Not all Bigfoot reports are actually caused by Bigfoot, just as not all bear, panther, alien, ufo, unicorn and even human sitings are what they were thought to be. To me, that's a given and no big surprise. Yes, I think they would use a trail/clearing and even approach civilization, if it seemed safe to them at the time or, if hunger etc. caused them to venture out of their safe zone...

Edited by xspider1, 10 March 2012 - 11:35 PM.

From the Centre for Fortean Zoology, 'Statement of Core Belief':
9. That the CFZ should be an international brother/sisterhood of like minded people who work together, mindless of differences of creed and culture, to push back the boundaries of human knowledge, for no other reason than that it is a good thing to do...

#38 kitakaze

kitakaze

Sasquatch

• Members
  • 6,643 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:33 AM

Image from a King County nursing home where a Bigfoot was allegedly dumpster diving...

Posted Image

Report...

http://www.bfro.net/...rt.asp?id=28743

The only way for this Bigfoot to get in and out is going away from the mountains, going in from and back to Puget Sound. This is a heavily populated area right beside Seattle. This report and the others like it in this thread are what kill the remote argument.
Bigfoot is everywhere, yet nowhere. LTC8K6 on the JREF

Bigfooters are like Mets fans. There's always tomorrow. Furious George on the old BFF

You don't have to believe it's real to love Bigfoot. Me

My brain is swimming. Louise (Graziella Granata) Slaughter of the Vampires 1962

#39 GrapeApe

GrapeApe

Booger

• Inactive
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:10 AM

Bears and other animals are drawn to the easy pickin's of dumpsters all the time. Why not the big man? And our leftovers probably smell extremely enticing to them too.

#40 FuriousGeorge

FuriousGeorge

Skunk Ape

• Inactive
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:53 PM

This report and the others like it in this thread are what kill the remote argument.

I was about to have a rant about contradiction until I saw this. This sums it up best for me. Eh ya know what?... I still need to rant. The remote argument makes the most sense. This one,.... not so much.

If people don't see the squatch when he is dumpster diving, what about all of the evidence left behind? Does he cover it all up? Does he walk backwards and erase his footprints with a branch? If he comes at night, this evidence would be in our backyards the next day and in the daylight. Not to mention all of the pet dogs that would be going berserk all of the time. Squatch may be able to fool our senses at night but not Fido's. All it takes is one instance of "What is it boy?" and a look out the window and it's all over for bigfoot. One peek and one phone call. Unlike the remote wilderness, the police would be there in minutes.

What about the evolution due to allusiveness? Does that all get thrown out the window with one Big Mac wrapper? Where are all of the people that have argued the remote thing for years? Are you here arguing for this too? If you are not here, shouldn't you be? How about the mountain gorilla comparisons that we all love so much? Do elusive mountain gorillas come down to the villages and take stuff or do they stay in their environment?

And speaking of evolution, predicting the evolution of theories follows suit. Next up,....pit crew for Nascar. Think about how some of those guys can do it so quickly. Squatch blood, that's the answer.

Edit for speeling

Edited by FuriousGeorge, 11 March 2012 - 02:04 PM.