Populated Squatch

Guest SquatchinNY

Interesting question. A few years ago I read a report by a researcher who was curious about just how observant humans were regarding their surroundings at night. He lived in what he described as a fairly normal suburban residential area; nice houses, front and back yards, street lights, sidewalks...the vinyl siding jungle as it's sometimes called. To find out how observant people are at night he walked at night and just watched and was impressed by how seemingly innocuous most people were to his presence even when he was in fairly close proximity, like right along the boundary of these small backyard fences, even though he wasn't hiding or using trees or bushes to hide behind. It is worth keeping in mind that street lighting and house lighting, as well as auto headlights and flashlights, and even campfires, don't actually permit us to see much beyond what we purposely illuminate, and in fact our eyes actually never really adjust to the dark unless we spend ten or fifteen minutes in darkness, which almost no modern human these days ever do on a regular basis. The ability to have light at our command and to illuminate our immediate surroundings means that our night vision never has the time to fully deploy and while it's not all that good compared to the night vision of creatures that have adapted to nocturnal lives, such as cats and flying squirrels, it rarely reaches its potential while we go about normal well lighted activities.

I have an area that I am currently researching. This area has it all... A major river, power lines and railroad tracks. Yet something else that I find to be of extreme interest is a natural gas pipeline easement that runs very nearby to this river area. As a matter of fact, all of these easements cross the river at one point or another along the way.

The interest in the natural gas pipelines is this - They are well-groomed, being constantly maintained to allow access. I have walked these pipeline easements and can tell you that the travel is easy as compared to power lines, which are not as well manicured. If I was a bigfoot, I'd utilize these easements due to the ease of travel they provide. These easements run along in some very remote areas, but they also come pretty close to urban areas, and become moreso as humans continue to encroach on these more remote areas. There are some documented reports of bigfoot sightings in my area. Is it a coincidence that three of these sightings occured within a half mile of these gas pipelines? One of these reports actually occured in an area where these pipelines crossed a roadway. I have also interviewed residents of the area that have chosen not to report their sightings. Coincidentally, these residents also live within close proximity to these pipeline right-of-ways.

All of the easements mentioned could be used by a bigfoot to traverse distances without detection. Yet the gas pipeline seems to be a perfect avenue of travel... Easy going, remote and easy to monitor insofar as maintaining visual perspective.

The point is that nobody really monitors these areas. It seems that a bigfoot could use these to get around, and in doing so could indeed come into contact with a town and it's citizens. When it does come close to a populated area it becomes more likely that it will be spotted, as I have postulated.

As soon as I get another game camera I will set it up along this pipeline. No baiting or anything else, just a camera pointed down the easement along the route where the residents have seen the creature.

I remember reading another report (maybe on BFRO) submitted by a fellow from a small town in Montana. He worked in a donut shop and had to get to work at about 3AM in order to start the donuts for the morning. One very cold and snowy morning he looked out the front window of the shop and saw a bigfoot walking right down the main street of town. He said he stepped out in front of the shop and watched the bigfoot walk a couple of blocks down the street and turn onto a small side street, where he lost sight of him.

There could be another incident from Montana, but I believe that report was from Colorado. I've included it here: http://www.bfro.net/...ort.asp?id=3185

A good read for sure.

A note to all members:

The topic "Through Towns" was merged into this one.

Edited by See-Te-Cah NC
To make note of a topic merge

I watch people pull across three three lanes of traffic, illegally, to get at a local McDonalds. I suspect we might have a generation of BF that have developed a taste for prepared food and have taken risks to get to it. Many of the rest of us have.

No one has taken a decent picture of one (that I have seen) since 1967 (if the PGF is real) so I doubt they would be hiking through towns or even living anywhere near populated areas that did not back onto huge forests...otherwise they wouldn't be a mystery at all. IMHO.

Cheers

+1

Evidently they come into peoples homes, dumpster dive at Walmart and show up nearly everywhere.... and in herds.

However please note that they are also very, very elusive.

They can also tell if there is a game cam within .5 miles and if it is functioning properly.

M

Good topic. Not all Bigfoot reports are actually caused by Bigfoot, just as not all bear, panther, alien, ufo, unicorn and even human sitings are what they were thought to be. To me, that's a given and no big surprise. Yes, I think they would use a trail/clearing and even approach civilization, if it seemed safe to them at the time or, if hunger etc. caused them to venture out of their safe zone...

Edited by xspider1

Image from a King County nursing home where a Bigfoot was allegedly dumpster diving...

28743b.jpg

Report...

http://www.bfro.net/gdb/show_report.asp?id=28743

The only way for this Bigfoot to get in and out is going away from the mountains, going in from and back to Puget Sound. This is a heavily populated area right beside Seattle. This report and the others like it in this thread are what kill the remote argument.

Guest GrapeApe

Bears and other animals are drawn to the easy pickin's of dumpsters all the time. Why not the big man? And our leftovers probably smell extremely enticing to them too.

Guest FuriousGeorge

This report and the others like it in this thread are what kill the remote argument.

I was about to have a rant about contradiction until I saw this. This sums it up best for me. Eh ya know what?... I still need to rant. The remote argument makes the most sense. This one,.... not so much.

If people don't see the squatch when he is dumpster diving, what about all of the evidence left behind? Does he cover it all up? Does he walk backwards and erase his footprints with a branch? If he comes at night, this evidence would be in our backyards the next day and in the daylight. Not to mention all of the pet dogs that would be going berserk all of the time. Squatch may be able to fool our senses at night but not Fido's. All it takes is one instance of "What is it boy?" and a look out the window and it's all over for bigfoot. One peek and one phone call. Unlike the remote wilderness, the police would be there in minutes.

What about the evolution due to allusiveness? Does that all get thrown out the window with one Big Mac wrapper? Where are all of the people that have argued the remote thing for years? Are you here arguing for this too? If you are not here, shouldn't you be? How about the mountain gorilla comparisons that we all love so much? Do elusive mountain gorillas come down to the villages and take stuff or do they stay in their environment?

And speaking of evolution, predicting the evolution of theories follows suit. Next up,....pit crew for Nascar. Think about how some of those guys can do it so quickly. Squatch blood, that's the answer.

Edit for speeling

Edited by FuriousGeorge

Guest FuriousGeorge

oops, I meant "elusiveness". Where's a bf to reach in my window and do a quick grammar check for me when I need it?

Edited by FuriousGeorge

Exactly. It would be so refreshing it we could just move past any obviously false rhetoric related to bigfoot. First on my list would be the "remote" fallacy - its close corollary would be the "PNW" fallacy.

BTW Furious, your scenario of Fido smelling something that causes his master to go check out? A generation ago, and master would be wielding a shotgun.

Guest FuriousGeorge

Yes, one shotgun and mystery solved. It's not as if someone would have said, "Oh that's just a bear, I'll let him make a mess and not discourage him to come back and mess up the garbage every night". That's not in the cards. It would be lights out for the critter.

I think one of the fallacies that rings a bell with me is the late night thing. For many years I worked the overnight shift. What always struck me as strange is that not many people understood the simple concept of not going to bed at ten or eleven o'clock at night. People in my life would understand it completely when I would explain that I am sleeping at noon because I was up working all night. The next day, they forget everything I explained. I guess it has to do with the fact that working at night never entered the pictured for them. I would hear stuff like, "What do you mean you cannot meet us there at noon?", no matter what I had explained. I never understood why they didn't understand. "He's still sleeping?, is he on drugs?" lol.

People often don't realize that other people are stirring around at all hours because they are asleep and always have gone to sleep at a proper hour. These stirring about people would prevent bigfoot or at least be witness to bigfoot more often than is being reported. There are police officers stirring about, garbage removal at these same dumpsters, joggers, teenagers causing trouble, vagrants, and plain old crazy people and whatnot. How about cars and trucks driving through a populated area? It would only be a matter of time.

There are just way too many eyeballs around. Bigfoot would not be a mystery and would never have been a mystery if he were frequenting populated areas.

Guest Peter O.

I tried to find a Google Earth image of my area at night, but for some reason there aren't any? ;-)

Seriously, though, I also don't believe that powerline rights-of-way are BF superhighways. Neither the Appalachian Trail. These are two things I heard on Finding Bigfoot that made me think they don't know as much about Squatch as they think. I've encountered trail intersections with the powerlines, and the only thing they're good for is a sunburn or gathering wild food.

A coyote also got into a Quizno's Subs in downtown Chicago. I agree that most people don't walk around at night, and stay on sidewalks, esp. in the burbs, that BF would have no problem being "prevalent, yet elusive". You can see a light from a lot farther than the person with the light can see. If BF can smell dogs, he can avoid them.

Guest FuriousGeorge

Can he avoid the sweet smell of antifreeze and whatever other poisons are in the garbage? One container of antifreeze and would have found a dead one on a golf course by now. There are too many pitfalls for me to buy into this theory.