Missing 411

..And, if someone were to die, you have scavaging birds, and other predators out there who could eat the body.

Of course. Sometimes the scavengers even help resolve the disapearance by attracting the attention of searchers, or by scattering the remains and clothing across a wider area where it's more likely to be eventually found.

But even if the body is gone - today's synthetic clothing and gear - like packs - lasts a very, very long time. Not to mention hardware like guns, trekking poles, watches, knives and all the rest of the stuff the well-equiped outdoors person carries.

When even all this vanishes without a trace, we have real mystery.

• 5 weeks later...

I have read most of the eastern book and should get the western book soon. I have really enjoyed reading it but I will not be taking the books on any solo backpacking trips to read in the tent at night. Honestly, I don't really see anything there with the similarities and such but they make for an interested read anyway. I would assume if you are going to write a book about missing people in or near wild areas you would obviously come up with some clusters and similarity among stories.

In Sept. 14, 2012, the body Jakson Kreiser (19-year-old Michigan man) who failed to return from a rugged backcountry hike in Glacier NP back in July-2012 was found near Hidden Lake (Glacier National Park).

http://www.nps.gov/glac/parknews/missing-hiker-located.htm

http://www.kbzk.com/news/glacier-hiker-s-cause-of-death-released/

Autopsy revealed that the cause of death was drowning; he probably fell from a slippery waterfall into a creek.

In May 30, 2012 bone fragments of the missing backpacker Yi-Jien Hwa (a hiker who went missing in 2008 during a weeklong, 100-mile solo trek through the park’s rugged backcountry) were found above Avalanche Lake (Glacier NP).

http://missoulian.com/news/state-and-regional/glacier-park-bones-identified-as-hiker-missing-since/article_c04600aa-aa89-11e1-927f-0019bb2963f4.html

Of interest is that Hidden Lake and Avalanche Lake are only 2 miles apart (see NPS map link below).

http://www.nps.gov/pwr/customcf/apps/maps/showmap.cfm?alphacode=glac&parkname=Glacier%20National%20Park

I never been to Glacier NP, but it appears that that area between Avalanche Lake and Hidden Lake is treacherous.

If the body of Mr. Kreiser had not been found, I wonder if it too would be included in the Missing 411 book (just like Mr. Hwa case was).

Outdoor wilderness is dangerous, and hiking solo in wild places like Glacier NP or Yellowstone NP is not recommended.

BFF Patron

Tons of animals are lost to avalanche every year out there........ they don't have avalanche guards over the canyon rail-lines for nothing. Guess that puts up the big question about how BF avoids the avalanche fields.... and ones never been discovered that way.

Edited by bipedalist

• 4 weeks later...

I'm reading this fascinating two volume book right now, and am curious if anyone has ANY idea how to account for the bizarre phenomena of massive storms occurring right after so many of the people disappeared, hampering search and rescue efforts.

This doesn't signal any potential BF connection to me, though many of the stories do. Unless somehow the BF is able to know when a big one is coming, kind of like dogs and other animals are super sensitive to weather, and that makes them more bold when attacking or kidnapping? Yes, it's a wild theory, just putting it out there for discussion.

I would guess that the massive storms played a part in the person staying missing by not only hampering search and rescue but also exposing the person to an even more hostile environment.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest odonata

from Bigfoot evidence "DP: Every case in the “Missing-411 books are peculiar, that’s why they were written. One of the more recent and highly unusual cases occurred in South Carolina in 2011 and is a case that’s highlighted in the new book. Before I advise an audience about the facts behind a story, I always ask them to remember back when they had young children. In this story the boy was 21 months old. I ask the readers to remember back when they were around a child that young. How well could they toddle and how far could they walk. How quickly could they get out of your view? How much stamina does a 21-month old child have? In this incident the boy was in his residence with the family dog and his mother. She left the room momentarily and somehow the boy and the dog got outside. There was a large open field surrounding the residence before reaching thick woods. The mother realized that her son and the dog were gone and ran outside to check the yard. The boy and the dog were not only in the yard, they weren’t anywhere in sight. The mother called the sheriff and searchers started to arrive in mass. By late in the afternoon, the weather started to change to rain. Searchers continued to walk the surrounding property and found nothing that first night.

The first morning of the search, a sheriff’s deputy and a natural resource officer were in kayaks on a river two miles from the victims residence, they were just two of hundreds looking for the boy. A search helicopter was flying above the river looking for a body and had just flown over the kayakers. The two law enforcement officers were paddling upstream from the area of the residence and just turned a corner in the river when they made an amazing find. It was 2:30pm when they looked at a sandbar in the middle of the river. They found the missing boy alive lying on his back in the middle of the sand. They immediately called the helicopter back to the scene to pickup the boy and take him to his residence. The pilot confirmed that he had just flown over that section of river and the boy WAS NOT on the sandbar, minutes later he’s lying there.

There are many confusing aspects to this case. How the boy got away from his residence so quickly is not understood. How a 21 month old can manage to go through thick woods, enter the river and arrive at a sandbar in the middle of the river, the million-dollar question. Why didn’t the boy respond to hundreds of searchers that were in the woods that first night? The boy did not suffer from hypothermia even though the weather had been in the low 40’s with rain. The boy’s dog did reappear at the residence. This is one of three cases where very small children have disappeared from the interior of a residence while with the family dog. Each case is equally fascinating. "

I live so close to this that I had the search copters flying over my house. I think the auther needs to do more research into this The weather was up into the 60's that night and the Enoree River is low enough to walk across at ankle deep easy for a tot to cross. The sheriffs office asked people to stay away from the search area because they didnt want to disturb the tots footprints and evidence. We kept waiting for word to come help but the found him safe.. dirty and hungry but could have been worse.

• Upvote 1

I'm reading this fascinating two volume book right now, and am curious if anyone has ANY idea how to account for the bizarre phenomena of massive storms occurring right after so many of the people disappeared, hampering search and rescue efforts.

Coincidence?

Dang!! I still didn´t get to listen to the new show yet.

I didn´t read any of the new post in fear of "spoilers" :D Anyway... the vid was deleted so here is a new link for yall:

4OIj6afVxo8

• 2 weeks later...

This doesn't signal any potential BF connection to me, though many of the stories do. Unless somehow the BF is able to know when a big one is coming, kind of like dogs and other animals are super sensitive to weather, and that makes them more bold when attacking or kidnapping? Yes, it's a wild theory, just putting it out there for discussion.

There could definitely be a correlation to BF activity and weather. A lot of bears go to their dens and hibernate when a snowstorm hits, and there is a lot of speculation that they do so so that their tracks will be hidden to the den, due to the vulnerable nature of hibernating. There could be a myriad of reasons that BF's could be active during storms, or leading up to one. Wind covers any noise they'd make, rain could deteriorate any tracks(to a certain extent) or scent, snow covers their tracks, etc. I'm not sure what their patterns are, or if they are smart enough to think like that, but it's an interesting topic.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest BastetsCat

Coincidence?

Simply a parallel that I have drawn from unrelated research. In the Scandinavian countries in past Centuries there was a belief in Ogres. Some of them hairy men, stinky, smelly, and putrid. Lived reclusively in swampy areas and out of the way places. What I find interesting about the superstition of Ogres is that they were said to have stolen people from villages to eat or procreate and if they thought that they were being pursued, they would strike the ground with a great iron club that they were known to carry. The iron club held magical properties that would create a storm so they could get away.

I draw the parallel because I find it interesting that the myth fits somewhat with the missing cases. Not because I believe in Ogres. It could be that the responsible thing has been around for centuries, and has been doing this all along. Some of the myths that I have found searching the internet strike creepy likenesses to the missing 411 cases.

There could definitely be a correlation to BF activity and weather. A lot of bears go to their dens and hibernate when a snowstorm hits, and there is a lot of speculation that they do so so that their tracks will be hidden to the den, due to the vulnerable nature of hibernating. There could be a myriad of reasons that BF's could be active during storms, or leading up to one. Wind covers any noise they'd make, rain could deteriorate any tracks(to a certain extent) or scent, snow covers their tracks, etc. I'm not sure what their patterns are, or if they are smart enough to think like that, but it's an interesting topic.

Even deer are said to be sensitive to a coming storm. They will go out and feed more open than usual and then bed down for the storm. I have known lots of old timers (people) that could feel a storm coming. In this day and age storms don't make much difference to 'people' because we have modern convenience. Back int he day though it could be devastating or deadly to get caught out in one. There is 'proof' that animals sense things like earthquakes, tsunami's, and major storms. Could it be the opportunity of the coming storm?