Biggest Bigfoot Ever Reported?

Guest Twilight Fan

I'm sure exageration is common among witnesses. Not saying it's always intentional, just perhaps the shock of the moment. It can have that effect on a person. There are reports from all over the world of giant skeletons found....some said to represent a 11' + person. Just google "giants" and you'll have a months worth of reading...a lot of interesting stuff.

I'm not sure on the biggest Bigfoot, but this image always intrigued me. If my memory is correct, those guys were apparently in the back of a pick up and they were chased down the road by a Bigfoot the size of their cut out. I think the pic was from the early to mid 70s.

post-63-0-43795100-1332649641_thumb.jpg

That's one BIG cut out. Not sure if the finger placement is intentional though :lol:

Cheers,

Kraig

That sighting took place just outside of Sycamore Flats campground in the Sand Gabriel mountains. The 3 witnesses went on to form the Angeles Sasquatch Association and were active through the 70's & early 80's.

I am glad someone found and posted the pic of the cardboard BF. I have always been struck by that pic, though honestly have felt it a bit outlandish, sizewise. BUT people see what they see.

I think it is honestly very easy to over or underestimate size from a distance - look at all the sightings of large birds that get turned into GIGANTIC birds by witnesses (yes, I am very much skeptical of giant bird reports). The fact that those guys were in the back of a vehicle may have contributed to overestimating height (even though it seems like they would more easily underestimate due to their being higher off the ground).

Even using landmarks as a height guide has its issues, IMO. Memory and perspective can both be problems. Heights above 8-9 ft push believability for me (but hey, I am pretty obviously in the "closer to human" camp, so such inhuman heights would be pushing it). So that is something that we must reconcile...Easy to see why Hall and others went down the "true giant" road. I don't buy that reasoning, but I can see taking reports that don't fit the mold and claiming that they must be something else. If we can believe in multiple types of HBs in NA ( I find the idea of smaller ones local to the south appealing), then why not giants in the north?

How can someone even guesstimate the height of BF when they see one? It is like wood knocking, a report always comes in with 'it was 7 feet tall and 300lbs' or something. Sure, an eyewitness could say something was big and tall, it was ugly or it smelled bad, but to estimate the height? Based on what? Oh, based on what they think the height should be because that is what they have heard or read in the past. I agree, if someone goes back to a spot and measures something the creature stood behind they could get a rough estimate. Or if their was a trackway, they could measure the stride and calculate some sort of general height, but just accepting someone saying 'it was 8 feet tall' is not an accurate measure and should not be regarded as such. Then using such a value for further calculations and applying them to the general BF population is not reliable either. I mean, isn't that why they put the tape measure height chart in stores, so people getting robbed can estimate how tall the guy who just robbed them was? And look at the debate over the PGF film and Patty's height, that height is all over the place.

Cheers

Guest MikeG

Well, if it was standing in front of something you could measure, that would make it easy. "It came up to the lowest branch of that tree" of "it looked in the window, and the cill is 8 feet above the ground"..........

Mike

I watched the video from Snowshoe WV from 2006. This seemed like a giant bigfoot (10ft)

Edited by jd783

Referencing the book "The Field Guide to Bigfoot and Other Mystery Primates", in N. America..listed as a class of "true giant" , there was a 12' creature (inconsistent testimony by witnesses, that estimated the height from 10' to 14') that was encountered and seen..and also left 24" tracks. This took place at Pitt Lake, BC, Canada.

Leaving the continent ( but not counted as Bigfoot ), the "Big Grey Man" reported in the Cairngorm Mountain range in Scotland, was noted at 20' tall. This was pre-1952 , and also referenced for the same book.

edited to change a few words

Edited by imonacan

Last week a friend and I found a single left track of 26 1/2 inches in Southern Illinois. The night before he had turned around as this creature was crossing the road quickly behind us.

All the picture and details are here:

Southern Illinois Giant

Well, like MikeG said, if the creature's standing beside something (e.g. tree branch, road sign, etc) a height reference can be made. But MOST people would be so startled if they truly saw a hairy giant, they would have a mere nanosecond glimpse to recall even those ideal references, before attempting flight. Other than that, it's hard to say how tall something is. Case in point: I used to own a bar and one day a large group of bikers came and I was shocked to see a giant of a man standing right next to me. If I had only a glimpse to go on, I would have said he was way over eight feet tall. After the shock wore off I watched him walk under a chandeleer and was able to estimate his height at 6'11 to 7'2. Also want to add that not all witnesses may loose their scrupples like I might on initial sight, and they may well be giving acurate height guestimates.

Guest Jodie

Well that is amazing Stan. I just don't see how something that tall could be hiding in Illinois, or anywhere for that matter. To get an idea of the scale I am sitting in my dining room that overlooks the living room with 12 foot ceilings. That means I would be at eye level with anything looking through the clerestory windows on the other side of the room, that's just incomprehensible. Is it possible that the feet and hands are out of proportion with the rest of the body?

Admin

I seem to recall a report or two in the 14-16 foot range. However, I suspect that most reports are probably 10-20% overestimated in height (just a gut feeling) unless there is a something to definitely measure the height against. As far as the 12 foot plus sightings go, those may be off by a lot more. Really scary to think of 10+ foot creatures running around in the wilderness watching/stalking you. I am thinking that the 10 footers are fairly rare specimens.

I watched the video from Snowshoe WV from 2006. This seemed like a giant bigfoot (10ft)

Cool, haven't seen that footage before! Anyone know the back story?

Edited by summitwalker

I don't believe there is any secret formula to figure out height from footprint length. We know with humans there is great variation.

Guest BFSleuth

summitwalker, I clicked through to the video link to watch the video on Youtube and read the comments from the person posting the video, bbovin. It is the only video he uploaded 3 years ago, with almost 50,000 views. He said he was out geocaching in West Virginia when he took this video. There is also a post in the comments purporting to be from Finding Bigfoot two months ago requesting that he contact them because they want to include the video in their show.

Facebook/FindBigfoot did an analysis:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrvqqczKG4A&feature=related

He stabilized and slowed it down, which really helps looking at the motion of the creature.

StanCourtney, great report with that huge track!

I used Farrenbach's scale and extrapolated that a 26.5" track would estimate a height of 9' 11" and a weight of 1,060 lbs (about 480 Kgs).