Albert Ostman

Guest OntarioSquatch

Guest BFSleuth

I'll try to get on that by tomorrow, post some GE images of what I think might be possible. Too tired right now... (must back ... away ... from the keyboard)....

SSR Team

Good luck with that Guys, it's needle in a very large haystack stuff in my opinion.

Plus who knows how things could have changed in nearly 100 years.

Guest Kerchak

OK BFSleuth. Thanks. It'll be interesting.

I also think Bobby is probably right though....but there is no harm in trying.

Guest vilnoori

If the story is true, then it is best to work backwards. We know that according to Ostman's account he started out at the head of Toba Inlet, but ended up being picked up by a logging truck that took him down to near Sechelt Inlet, where he caught a boat back to Vancouver. So to back track, Ostman says:

Must have made three miles in some world record time. I came to a turn in the canyon and I had the sun on my left, that meant I was going south, and the canyon turned west. I decided to climb the ridge ahead of me. I knew that I must have two mountain ridges between me and salt water and by climbing this ridge I would have a good view of this canyon, so I could see if the Sasquatch were coming after me. I had a light pack and was making good time up this hill. I stopped soon after to look back to where I came from, but nobody followed me. As I came over the ridge I could see Mt. Baker, then I knew I was going in the right direction.

So looking at Google Earth, you start with Sechelt Inlet, Salmon Arm branch, and go over two mountain ridges in a north or northeast direction. Find a canyon that turns west and slopes down southwards at the top. Draw a 3 mile radius circle, but search northwards (remember Toba Inlet is North of Sechelt Inlet, so the high mountain valley Ostman describes must be somewhere in between). Look for a high mountain valley that is enclosed and exited through a narrow v. Look for caves or cliffs as he describes, a stream and a pond.

What fun. Good hunting. :D

That's too bad. I'm guessing it's the same people who won't consider his story a possibility.

Most likely...when the "lie detector" says what we want it to we are in favor but when it threatens to challenge our beliefs we are more likely to say it's bunk :) Has something to do with being human I hear.

My error AaronD, Albert O did pass in 1975. Fred Beck of Ape Canyon fame passed in 1966. I mixed them up some times. Sorry I do not recall the month.

Thomas Steenburg

It's all good, thanks

Weaver birds weave. Albert may have been using a descriptive term that wasn't strictly accurate.

Yes but by instinct. With a bf weaving would have to be a learned skill.

t.

SSR Team

Not instinct ?

Any idea how the first person started to weave then, or did they learn it off weaver birds ?

^^

This night it was cloudy and looked like it might rain. I took special notice of how everything was arranged. I closed my pack sack, I did not undress, I only took off my shoes, put them in the bottom of my sleeping bag. I drove my prospecting pick into one of the cypress trees so I could reach it from my bed. I also put the rifle alongside me, inside my sleeping bag. I fully intended to stay awake all night to find out who my visitor was, but I must have fallen asleep.

I was awakened by something picking me up. I was half asleep and at first I did not remember where I was. As I began to get my wits together, I remembered I was on this prospecting trip, and in my sleeping bag.

My first thought was — it must be a snow slide, but there was no snow around my camp. Then it felt like I was tossed on horseback, but I could feel whoever it was, was walking.

I tried to reason out what kind of animal this could be. I tried to get at my sheath knife, and cut my way out, but I was in an almost sitting position, and the knife was under me. I could not get hold of it, but the rifle was in front of me, I had a good hold of that, and had no intention to let go of it. At times I could feel my packsack touching me, and could feel the cans in the sack touching my back.

ck touching me, and could feel the cans in the sack touching my back.

Thanks. I just remember hearing his recorded interview and that was some time ago. I'm not up on all the details and your post provided some I didn't know.

Not instinct ?

Any idea how the first person started to weave then, or did they learn it off weaver birds ?

Are there weaver birds in B.C.?

Guest BFSleuth

I drove my prospecting pick into one of the cypress trees so I could reach it from my bed. I also put the rifle alongside me, inside my sleeping bag. I fully intended to stay awake all night to find out who my visitor was, but I must have fallen asleep.

At times I could feel my packsack touching me, and could feel the cans in the sack touching my back.touching my back.

It seems the BF carried Ostman inside the sleeping and also took the backpack, which was outside the sleeping bag.

However, note that the prospector pick was planted into the "cyprus tree". No mention of that in the later narrative from what I recall. I wonder whether it might still be there? Talk about trying to find a needle in a haystack.

Would it be this species?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cupressus_nootkatensis

Yes but by instinct. With a bf weaving would have to be a learned skill.

t.

What Ostman saw as "weaving" to others might have been seen by others as a "real mess". There's a belief bigfoots make sleeping nests. Maybe that's what he saw and with his less than perfect English described the "blankets" as more than they actually were.

Guest BFSleuth

He mentioned that moss was woven into the blankets. Moss makes a great bed and is good insulation as well.

Guest Dr. Boogie

With so much time having passed and the fact that there is zero evidence beyond his story then in order to believe that it happened IMO you have to be already be convinced that Bigfoot does exist. Assuming that you are already convinced or maybe even 'know' that Bigfoot does exist then you might find it easier to believe all the other elements of the story such as the BF carrying him for miles in his sleeping bag and then bringing him into the family home etc.

As somebody who's merely hopeful that Bigfoot does exists I find believing this story to be far too large a leap for me to take, I'll place my hope elsewhere.

He mentioned that moss was woven into the blankets. Moss makes a great bed and is good insulation as well.

Yep, you could be right.

t.