Albert Ostman

Guest OntarioSquatch

Guest BFSleuth

Looking through his descriptions of where he started in Toba inlet, it becomes at first evident that he didn't start from the head of the inlet because when he first hiked up to about 1000' elevation he says he had a grand view of the straight and the islands. You can't see the straight from the head of the inlet because it is blocked by mountains.

Next, his description of the terrain he covers and the directions don't really fit with the geography. After he goes over the 1st pass he describes having a choice of going downhill West to an unknown inlet or downhill to the northeast. Nothing in the geography north of the Toba Inlet matches this description.

The more I try to make sense of his directions and descriptions of terrain the less sense it makes.

SSR Team

Agreed BFS.

Guest Transformer

Props to both BFSleuth and BobbyO! :clapping: Whatever their conclusions are at the end of their investigations into Mr. Ostmans story I think that their demonstrated openminded attitude by letting the facts take them where they may and letting their concerns be made public cannot be considered anything but good for this whole field.

Guest vilnoori

Maybe it was around Kutub Peak? He might have mistaken Powell Lake for an inlet as it is shaped very much the same, and you can indeed see the straight and islands from that peak. If he is describing "an unknown inlet" it tells me he really didn't know the area all that well! The area is full of hanging valleys, too. This could be possible if he was dropped not at the head of Toba inlet but rather at one of the stream head beaches on the south shore of Toba inlet.

Edited by vilnoori

Props to both BFSleuth and BobbyO! :clapping: Whatever their conclusions are at the end of their investigations into Mr. Ostmans story I think that their demonstrated openminded attitude by letting the facts take them where they may and letting their concerns be made public cannot be considered anything but good for this whole field.

Well said.

Thomas Steenburg

Remember the account we are putting the scrutiny to was transcribed around thirty years after the event. My hunting stories from 30 years ago are undoubtedly less exact as they would have been a few weeks after the event. That doesn't make my stories or Albert Ostman's story untrue.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest BFSleuth

A thread in the media forum is covering a 6 part series of excellent articles in the Yakima newspaper about sasquatch. The 5th article has sighting reports I hadn't read before. One in particular has an aspect that resembles one part of Ostman's story:

One Entiat Valley incident more than 20 years ago that didn’t become an official report involved a backcountry ranger who came across an extremely distraught backpacker hurrying out of the forest.

The man told the ranger he’d been camping alone when he’d been dragged from his tent and tossed around, still in his sleeping bag, by a large, hairy animal that he said was definitely not a bear.

The ranger didn’t take the camper’s name or write up a report.

Why?

Said the ranger years later, “I thought the guy was a whack job.â€

Well, I suppose I would seem like a whack job too, if I'd been pulled out of my tent and tossed around. Waking up to a nightmare.

SSR Team

The day i start manipulating evidence in this subject to suit my stance on it, or even in every day things in every day life, would be a very sad day..;)

Anyone who even half knows me knows that i would never do that, no matter what the outcome.

I am still in favour that Ostman experienced multiple Sasquatches first hand in that part of BC in the time frame he says.

I just think he well and truly got his locations mixed up, big time. :D

And that's very understandable considering he was grabbed in his sleeping bag and carried off to whevere the area was that they took him--at night. I know the woods behind my own place really well but if I were dragged to an area new there I wouldn't have a perfect handle on exactly where I was either.

30 years is a lot of time....that might explain why he got his directions mixed up. Kudos to you guys for trying to figure this mystery out!

Edited by AlbertaSasquatch

Guest BFSleuth

I think the only evidence that might exist today would be the prospecting axe buried in a cypress tree at the camp site where he was abducted. That would be a pretty incredible find. The problem is trying to figure out from his description of his location where that could possibly be. He can't have been at the head of the Toba Inlet in order to see the Straight and the Islands from his first night about 1000' elevation, he would have to have been closer to the mouth of the inlet. Then try to go through his description of terrain using GE it is ver very difficult to figure out where he might have been.

If anyone is capable of finding that axe, then that might lend some level of credence to his story.

Guest OntarioSquatch

I think his stuff would be long gone. It's been almost 90 years. I think another Bigfoot could have pulled it out by now.