• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 imonacan

imonacan

Chiye-tanka

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 12:03 PM

I'm sure there are stories out there, from Veterans, or the families and friends of Vets, that have heard their stories. This could be from the Vietnam, Korean War, or WW II eras.
Along with American and Canadian serviceman, there were British and Aussie serviceman, as well as Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese Vets that served in this region (my apologies, if I missed any nationality).. and might have have experienced "strange" or possible cryptic creature related incidents.
There was a very interesting thread on the former BFF, about incidents during the Vietnam War, concerning "Rock Apes".

I'll start, by talking about some of my minor experiences, while serving in the Philippines during peacetime (post Vietnam) . I was involved in a joint (with the Filipino military) training mission on Luzon, that took us into remote forested mountains and valleys. One of our instructors, was an Army Ranger special forces Captain. He did remark, that "damn big monkeys" existed in Vietnam.. and did indeed, throw rocks. I'm not sure, if "Rock Ape" or "Nguoi rung" is the same cryptid creature (?)
While sleeping out in a dense forested valley, myself and others.. experienced foul smells, and unexplained sounds (whines, sing song like humming, grunts, deep pitched chatter, and even strange laughter sounds). It kept me awake on several nights, and I confirmed these sounds were not just my dreams or imagination, by speaking with other men that heard it.
What floored me then, and keeps me interested now.. was the translated opinions of several tribesman, that we had the pleasure to meet, and observe crude, but effective means of gathering clean drinking water and food, from the forest. One tribesman was laughing and holding his nose, while speaking to one of the PARs, about the incident many of us had experienced , from the past overnight. Interested in the translation via the PAR.. the tribesman had told him, that the "baho man would not come any closer to the camp, because too many men were camped there". The tribesman also stated, that there were bad smelling (meaning of "baho") wildmen, out in the forest. Finally, while our convoy of vehicles left the same area.. there was a fist sized rock thrown , that clanged off the side of the first vehicle. It stopped the convoy, and was first thought.. to possibly be small arms fire, from the forest. I (eventually) saw the rock, and the dent it put in the door of the vehicle, next to the driver.
At that time in my life, I was "weirded out" by the events, but did not have a real interest in this topic, or connect this to any possible cryptic creature, or hairy wildman. My personal research, has lead me to think.. that it could either be the results of human trickery (possible, but unlikely), or else there was something strange, out there. I have done extensive searches (via internet) on the animals of the region, and can't come up with a good answer, with the exception of Warty Pig, that could be the culprit of the "grunts" I heard.
I have set up a network of contacts in the RP, and have inlaws and family there.. that have brought me other information, on local folks encounters with the hairy "Kapre" in 4 different locales throughout the islands. While the Philippines, is not notably on the map of mainstream bigfootery or cryptozoology... it has certainly gained my personal interest.
Only, on the ground investigations.. will answer, what is mythology.. and what could be physically real. No one I know of, is there doing this. If anyone is, it would most certainly be a foreigner.. as locals can't really understand, why anyone would want to pursue such things. Different cultures, have different thoughts on such topics.. that are very contrary, to the curious "need to know" ways of our western thinking. They (for the most part) are content to know these cyrptids exist, but (out of fear and respect) leave them be, and don't feel the need to prove their existence. This (dealings and respect for cultural beliefs and mythologies), will make any research.. a bit more challenging. To attempt to separate the myth from the reality, will be the first and foremost.
The latest information, I received from a contact at Los Banos U, on Luzon. It was about a story from several Japanese holdouts, that later surrendered to Philippine forces. Several men told their Filipino captors, of "something, large and hairy" that terrorized them why holding out in a cave, in the mountains. The story was allegedly from the "Battle for Leyte", in 1944. Any documentation, has proved (so far) futile to track down, and is probably filed away, in a local municipality. These Pinoy offices, usually keep very detailed records.. but finding it is the problem. I have searched for accounts from Japanese holdouts on Leyte, but have only come up with.. other locations. This link, I found interesting:

http://www.wanpela.c...istry.html#phil

I've been thinking, the incident could have taken place in January of 1946..which is the second incident recorded under "Philippines". Trouble is, this incident was documented to be 150 miles south of Manila..and not really naming the province. I think it is either Mindoro, or the southern parts of Luzon (Quezon province). Leyte.. is more like 400 plus miles to the south of the capitol...lol. Thus, the continuing search for the correct info, and the hope of finding the documented incident, and entire story.
I realize this thread will only draw limited interest, but I know there are a few.. that will be B) .
Anyone reading or lurking, that has info or stories... please add it here. If you are not comfortable with telling the story on a public forum, or even joining this one (but hope you do :)), you are welcome to email me personally, ( imonacan@gmail.com ) and know, that if requested... your story and info, will go no further than me.
Anyone with other worldwide information, outside of SE Asia and the Pacific region.. please do.. start a thread, and include it in this "International Sightings" folder.

Edited by imonacan, 07 February 2011 - 12:08 PM.

coyotes and owls... don't carry big sticks

Don't really care about my reputation. BF doesn't care , either

In order to "Research" something living.. does one not have to first find the subjects consistently, and then.. actually be able to observe them ?

#2 BobbyO

BobbyO

Sasquatch

• Sésquac
  • 5,218 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 01:12 PM

In my 7 Years here i have never seen anythign at all related to Thailand, have you Imonacan ??
It's one thing being obsessed by something, it's another thing entirely and bordering on lunacy to spend big portions of time obsessing over trying to disprove that same something to people who have seen that something, on a Website deidcated to that something. - Bobbyo

Keep the Forum alive, register as a premium member to ensure that by clicking here.

#3 ChrisBFRPKY

ChrisBFRPKY

Bigfoot

• Members
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 01:14 PM

This is a link to a story I found interesting over at the Bigfoot Encounters website. I like it largely because my wife is from Thailand and she confirmed that the places mentioned in the story actually exist. So it does have a few points for geographic accuracy. Chris B.

http://www.bigfooten...es/thailand.htm

Chris Bennett
Squatchdetective Radio Thursday Nights 8 PM EST
Bigfoot Research Project of Kentucky
BFRPKY.com
BigfootResearchProject.com

#4 SweetSusiq

SweetSusiq

Skunk Ape

• Members
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 04:52 PM

There was a very interesting thread on the former BFF, about incidents during the Vietnam War, concerning "Rock Apes".

Susi says: I remember reading those stories. Are they available for us to post here for discussion?
For new members who were not involved in the old forum, regarding these reports and sightings, it would be of benefit to them to read the earlier reports and discussions.
Bigfoot type creatures are reported all around the world. I find that *very* interesting.

#5 SweetSusiq

SweetSusiq

Skunk Ape

• Members
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 05:04 PM

In my 7 Years here i have never seen anythign at all related to Thailand, have you Imonacan ??

I think the TV program Destination Truth discovered some tracks and hair samples while searching for proof of Bigfoot somewhere in that area of Asia, didn't they?

#6 imonacan

imonacan

Chiye-tanka

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 12:14 AM

Bobby, other than the link Chris posted from the Bigfoot Encounters site... I have never heard about anything out of Thailand. That link, was an interesting read... and a new one for me (ape like creatures sipping tea). In the RP, the hairy ones... are thought to smoke crude rolled cigars. Legend has it.. you first smell the smoke, before you see the creature.
I was in Thailand for 5 days , on my way back to the states.. but never made it out of Bangkok. I enjoyed the people, culture, nightlife, and food.
It would be great hearing about anything additional out of Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, or Myanmar (Burma). Indonesia has the Orangpendek, and Malaysia has had many sightings of a BF like "apeman".. but have not heard much about anything there, recently.
I asked a Laotian gent at work, about anything he remembers from back home.. and he didn't recall, anything of interest.
I should have noted, that the Korean Peninsula is not considered, as SE Asia.. but would still like to include any stories (if there are any) in the thread, from anywhere in Asia- Pacific.

Edited by imonacan, 08 February 2011 - 12:15 AM.

In order to "Research" something living.. does one not have to first find the subjects consistently, and then.. actually be able to observe them ?

#7 imonacan

imonacan

Chiye-tanka

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 12:32 AM

I think the TV program Destination Truth discovered some tracks and hair samples while searching for proof of Bigfoot somewhere in that area of Asia, didn't they?

Yes, that was in Bhutan, in south Asia. I don't remember any conclusions about the tracks, but the hair sample turned out to be "unknown primate" .
I agree, Susiq2.. the archives from the old forum, would be a benefit, and add more to this discussion.

#8 BobbyO

BobbyO

Sasquatch

• Sésquac
  • 5,218 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 09:37 AM

This is a link to a story I found interesting over at the Bigfoot Encounters website. I like it largely because my wife is from Thailand and she confirmed that the places mentioned in the story actually exist. So it does have a few points for geographic accuracy. Chris B.

http://www.bigfooten...es/thailand.htm

Well well well, that has freaked me completely.. :o

Nakhon Sri Thammarat Province ( it's a Province not a County ) was the Province next to where i lived for 6 & a half Years here ( i lived in Suratthani Province ).

AND i once got lost in my Car a place called Ron Phibun, which is a small Town in NST Province, but bigger than what is described in that Account, for sure..

Ron Phibun always stuck in my head as we used to then pass it on our way to do our Visa Runs, going South to Malaysia..

I wonder if it's the same place ??

Where's the Missus from then Chris ??

I'm now based in Hua Hin, used to live on Koh Samui...

This is the first thing i've ever seen on soemthing like this here in Thailand,, & i think i'm lost for words due to the shock of possibly having something on my Doorstep for 6 & a half Years, like this maybe.. :D

Trust me, i've dug around here in Thailand about this kind of thing & have never ever heard a peep from any part of teh Country at all & kind of gave up..

But, sadly & honestly, my first & immediate though of when i read this Account, was " Burmese Soldiers ", seriously..
It's one thing being obsessed by something, it's another thing entirely and bordering on lunacy to spend big portions of time obsessing over trying to disprove that same something to people who have seen that something, on a Website deidcated to that something. - Bobbyo

Keep the Forum alive, register as a premium member to ensure that by clicking here.

#9 BobbyO

BobbyO

Sasquatch

• Sésquac
  • 5,218 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 09:55 AM

& after reading over the story 5 times now, sadly i've come to the conclusion of a big fat no no.. :(

Stirring the Tea ?? :D

Jeans on & Long Sleeve Blue Shirts ?? :D

Having seen what atrocities can be inflicted on fellow Human Beings in this Country, i'm going for either Burmese Soldiers or some other kind of Illegal Alien, without a doubt..

So i'm back to square one with the Land of Smiles, unfortunately.

#10 ChrisBFRPKY

ChrisBFRPKY

Bigfoot

• Members
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 09:07 PM

It was the only story I've ever found about Bigfoot in Thailand Bobby. My wife was living in Bangkok when we met but she was born in Suratthani. Her family is still there and runs the Sandy Bay Resort on Koh Phangan (Haad Yao Beach). It's a small World. :D
Chris B.

Chris Bennett
BFRPKY.com

#11 BobbyO

BobbyO

Sasquatch

• Sésquac
  • 5,218 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 02:15 AM

That is incredible Chris, i know Haad Yao, it's just a little further North than Thong Sala on the North/North West side..

That has really made me smile, incredibly small World.. :)

Ok, so anyway's this morning i speak to my Daughter's Mum about this Story, in NST & this is how it went :

==========================

Me : I read a Story about Bigfoot in Thailand yesterday, in NST, i don't think i believe it though to be BF's, i think the Lady was a little confused who told the Story & it was something else.

Daughter's Mum : No, i don't think so, no BF's here..Oh i know what it was, it was those Kids with all teh Hair, we get many of them here.

Me : What ??

DM : We see them on TV, here in Thailand, Kids who are born with lots of Hair, they stay in the Hopsital & they look after them there, i have seen many. They are like Monkeys, Black Skin, Hair everywhere, the walk like us, they are people but Monkey people.

Me : So they stay in Hospitals then, what about the Army ??

DM : No no, stay in special Hospitals maybe, not the Army though, go to see the Doctor soemtimes for cut the Hair, but not Army.
===========================

That's what she said, i'm thinking she means the Hairy people, not quite sure what the correct term is, don't they call them Wold Boy's or something ?? Mexcian Wolf Boy rings a bell ??

Guess they have them here too.

#12 ChrisBFRPKY

ChrisBFRPKY

Bigfoot

• Members
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 07:57 AM

That's kinda what I was thinking. I had to look the name up, it's called Hypertrichosis or The Werewolf Syndrome. I have no doubt that in some parts of the World the people with this disorder are treated badly. Likely due to misinformation or probably a complete lack of information about the disorder. The ape people in the Thailand story were probably just people with Hypertrichosis. Since the story dates back to the early 80's if I remember correctly, that would seem to work better with the Hypertrichosis explanation as well.
I think it is possible for some sort of ape-like creatures to be on the mainland in Thailand though. The numerous "Rock Ape" stories from Vietnam hint that it's possible. But, if there are any creatures there, I'm confused about the lack of reports coming out of Thailand. The odds are not very promising it would seem.
My wife said she hadn't heard of anything Bigfoot related or hairy people while she was in Thailand. I think she discovered the legend of Bigfoot only after arriving in the US. :lol: Chris B.

Chris Bennett
BFRPKY.com

#13 imonacan

imonacan

Chiye-tanka

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:16 AM

Quoted and taken from the Russian Information thread:

[qoute/]Thank you for your additional descriptions about the Kapre. Of course I included the folklore about the creature, I found...red eyes and a red cigar that "never burns out", using the smoke to lure humans and play tricks on them (sometimes they watch through the windows at night) !!! But the legends also described a "very tall" creature, more than 2m high...of course "invisility" could refer also "camouflage" or "mimetism"!!

What i think now it is that a whole folklore was developed from the sightings of a real, but unexplained creature.

I also found that (according to folklore) when Philippine people believe that there is a Kapre (or other ghost-like creature) in the surroundings, they consult a local "arbularyo" (medicine man), but I was impressed because there are many spanish words in the Tagalog and other languages, that are still understandable. The "arbularyo" is a herbalist which is called "herbolario" in spanish!!

I found two other tales involving Kapres...
1. An australian girl who went to Philippines, heard about the Kapre legend, but strangely, at night a monkey-like creature approached and scared her little daughter..who was unaware of these legends.

2. A folk-tale about a family and the strange happenings on their home. A girl also got an strange fever. They thought there was a "Kapre" in the surrounding playing tricks...and they went to the arbularyio. The arbularyio tried to visualize what was going on, and indeed, he told that there was a Kapre living above their house, on the roof!!!
The Kapre communicated (mentally?) immediately with the arbularyio and told "that's not me!!" The Kapre told that there was an old hag living on the next tree, who was creating the trouble.

Very interesting and very rich folklore!!
Have a nice day!
K. Adam.[quote/]

I had several experiences with arbularyos in the RP.. and both were positive ones. I'm impressed by what they know, and how they helped out me personally (ate some bad mussels), and a small baby that had a very high fever (separate incidents). Although, I'm not convinced of their mental abilities to talk with a Kapre, they are people that I believe have more extensive knowledge of the old world culture, much like the local tribesman. That does interest me a great deal.

note...tried, but maybe one of the mods, will please help me out with a better job of the quotes...lol

Edited by imonacan, 28 February 2011 - 09:17 AM.

#14 grayjay

grayjay

Yeti

• Banned
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:25 AM

I have always found it facinating that people from all around the world, aside from the folklore, seem to live just fine alongside these creatures. It's only when we get curious and begin asking questions that it seems unusual.

#15 BobbyO

BobbyO

Sasquatch

• Sésquac
  • 5,218 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 11:08 AM

Spoooky coincidence..

http://www.thesun.co...riest-Girl.html

#16 vilnoori

vilnoori

Yeti

• Members
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 11:31 AM

That's kinda what I was thinking. I had to look the name up, it's called Hypertrichosis or The Werewolf Syndrome. I have no doubt that in some parts of the World the people with this disorder are treated badly. Likely due to misinformation or probably a complete lack of information about the disorder. The ape people in the Thailand story were probably just people with Hypertrichosis. Since the story dates back to the early 80's if I remember correctly, that would seem to work better with the Hypertrichosis explanation as well.
I think it is possible for some sort of ape-like creatures to be on the mainland in Thailand though. The numerous "Rock Ape" stories from Vietnam hint that it's possible. But, if there are any creatures there, I'm confused about the lack of reports coming out of Thailand. The odds are not very promising it would seem.
My wife said she hadn't heard of anything Bigfoot related or hairy people while she was in Thailand. I think she discovered the legend of Bigfoot only after arriving in the US. :lol: Chris B.

You mean like this guy, Yu Zhenhuan in China?

Posted Image

#17 SweetSusiq

SweetSusiq

Skunk Ape

• Members
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 01:36 PM

Yes, that was in Bhutan, in south Asia. I don't remember any conclusions about the tracks, but the hair sample turned out to be "unknown primate" .
I agree, Susiq2.. the archives from the old forum, would be a benefit, and add more to this discussion.

I so appreciate your input. I'll ask again if they have had success recovering some of our important to us forum posts. My count for postings would increase. :) a whole lot!

Edited by Susiq2, 28 February 2011 - 01:38 PM.

#18 SweetSusiq

SweetSusiq

Skunk Ape

• Members
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 01:53 PM

Spoooky coincidence..

http://www.thesun.co...riest-Girl.html

Why not shave her face daily? If that were my daughter, that's what I'd do. Yikes, that poor child, my heart breaks for her. Life is hard enough just being normal looking. I've been told that I'm pretty from my hubby, and I think that women want to have their special person think that they are pretty or beautiful, or special in some way..
:ph34r: Looks can and will shape a person, especially a woman, IMHO.. :ph34r:
I have self assurance because of my appearance, but I also have a heart, and deeply care about other people, and their welfare.I don't worry about how I look anymore, I care about what is in my heart and soul. That child will need a very supportive environment, and someone needs to shave her face daily.
Is face shaving not an option? Lazar did not work, but what about a razor? :o

#19 BobbyO

BobbyO

Sasquatch

• Sésquac
  • 5,218 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 04:53 AM

Why not shave her face daily? If that were my daughter, that's what I'd do. Yikes, that poor child, my heart breaks for her. Life is hard enough just being normal looking. I've been told that I'm pretty from my hubby, and I think that women want to have their special person think that they are pretty or beautiful, or special in some way..
:ph34r: Looks can and will shape a person, especially a woman, IMHO.. :ph34r:
I have self assurance because of my appearance, but I also have a heart, and deeply care about other people, and their welfare.I don't worry about how I look anymore, I care about what is in my heart and soul. That child will need a very supportive environment, and someone needs to shave her face daily.
Is face shaving not an option? Lazar did not work, but what about a razor? :o

Whislt she's receiving global attention & the chance of $$ is there, there's no way in the World she'll be shaved..

#20 bipedalist

bipedalist

Sasquatch

• Sésquac
  • 11,833 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:50 PM

As I remember, one of the Rock Apes threads on BFF 1.0, did have some interesting accounts from the Montagnards in the Highlands, near military operations as I remember (Viet Nam era of course), doesn't mean stuff didn't happen before and after that time period of course.