The Deal With Dogs And Bigfoot...

Guest VioletX

Guest VioletX

What is it?

I would like to hear personal experiences or whatever you think. I have heard dogs will chase BF and I have heard they are afraid or reluctant to be near BF., guess it could depend on the dog and the situation though.

Your thoughts please.

That's because some actually get trained if they are pets and happen to be on a chain. When the hairy people come to visit they know to keep quiet. We don't exactly know how they train them but I'm sure it has something to do with their BIG attitude. Other dogs will cower and cry then find the deepest hole they can and burrow.

My dogs would come back from the woods stinking to high heaven and I think now, though I can't prove it, that they might have been romping in the woods with them. When my dogs would trot across the road into my yard, you could already smell them.

Other dogs will become agressive and chase. They sadly, don't live too long in most cases.

Guest OntarioSquatch

I find it an interesting topic. I've read cases where dogs aggressively go after a Bigfoot, but like Sunflower said it never really ends well for the dog. There are some credible cases where the dog refuses to follow the scent and shows signs of fear. I believe this happened in the Sierras back in 2010 when dogs were used around the famous shooting site.

Guest Luckyfoot

I'm curious myself.

Mentioned in my other post , I have a 90 lb pitbull that tends to not show fear of bears. He has chased dear . There was a mountain lion sitting in my neighbor's backyard in Big Bear, dog knew it was there and wanted after it. When I had my place in Big Bear , I would walk him offleash in the forest a lot. He's had rattlesnake training.. He will vocalize if he detects a rattler.

I have plans to go a 'squatchin in the future. Probably lots of camping in California hotspots. I'm kinda on the fence on whether I will bring the guy or not. Reading stories of interaction on this forum and other has made me change my mind. I generally like to take him everywhere outdoorsy with me, but I love that dog to death and wouldn't want him harmed . But he could be a great asset as well. He can sense stuff I can't. Good at scaring off bears and big kitties. Seems Bobo brings his dog with him at least sometimes as well.

I will prolly end up taking him, but keep him leashed the whole time.

Guest VioletX

I'm curious myself.

Mentioned in my other post , I have a 90 lb pitbull that tends to not show fear of bears. He has chased dear . There was a mountain lion sitting in my neighbor's backyard in Big Bear, dog knew it was there and wanted after it. When I had my place in Big Bear , I would walk him offleash in the forest a lot. He's had rattlesnake training.. He will vocalize if he detects a rattler.

I have plans to go a 'squatchin in the future. Probably lots of camping in California hotspots. I'm kinda on the fence on whether I will bring the guy or not. Reading stories of interaction on this forum and other has made me change my mind. I generally like to take him everywhere outdoorsy with me, but I ind that dog to death and wouldn't want him harmed . But he could be a great asset as well. He can sense stuff I can't. Good at scaring off bears and big kitties. Seems Bobo brings his dog with him at least sometimes as well.

That is kind of where my mind is at with my dog, keeping him on the leash. I have a 55 lb 5 yr border collie and he shifts from extremely mellow to a complete spaz with skateboarders, bikes etc. and he wants to chase deer and rabbits, hmmmmn, maybe I change my mind as I write this description!

That's because some actually get trained if they are pets and happen to be on a chain. When the hairy people come to visit they know to keep quiet. We don't exactly know how they train them but I'm sure it has something to do with their BIG attitude. Other dogs will cower and cry then find the deepest hole they can and burrow.

My dogs would come back from the woods stinking to high heaven and I think now, though I can't prove it, that they might have been romping in the woods with them. When my dogs would trot across the road into my yard, you could already smell them.

Other dogs will become agressive and chase. They sadly, don't live too long in most cases.

Are you trying to say the Sasquatch train the dogs, that is what I am getting from your first sentences?My late dogs would roll in something and smell awful after words, I am not sure what it was maybe something decaying, but I am not ruling out Big foot ;)

I find it an interesting topic. I've read cases where dogs aggressively go after a Bigfoot, but like Sunflower said it never really ends well for the dog. There are some credible cases where the dog refuses to follow the scent and shows signs of fear. I believe this happened in the Sierras back in 2010 when dogs were used around the famous shooting site.

It seems weird to me that they would kill a dog unless protecting young maybe, I would think that most dogs would back down when confronted by a Bigfoot. Maybe not a trained fighting dog.

That's because some actually get trained if they are pets and happen to be on a chain. When the hairy people come to visit they know to keep quiet. We don't exactly know how they train them but I'm sure it has something to do with their BIG attitude.

It could be that the BF has lurked enough to where the dogs are used to it.

Most dogs have some sort of instict to roll in something smelly, a dead carcass, what have you. My chihuahua loves to roll in fresh cow dung.

Guest Luckyfoot

Most dogs have some sort of instict to roll in something smelly, a dead carcass, what have you. My chihuahua loves to roll in fresh cow dung.

True dat. Both my chihuahua and pitbull are guilty. Son's dog does it too (boxer mix).

Guest COGrizzly

He has chased dear . When I had my place in Big Bear , I would walk him offleash in the forest a lot. He's had rattlesnake training..

Super uncool and illegal.

Thank you for leashing the dog.

Question. Why do dog owners seem to assume that everyone loves dogs?? I do not. Now most of the time it's the irresponsible dog owner that I do not like, but still. I am FAR more afraid of a dog off the leash while walking in the forest than ANY black bear.

Why? Because DOGS KILL way more people every year than black bears, brown bears, and mountains combined....by ALOT.

Average Number of Deaths per Year in the U.S

Bee/Wasp 53 Dogs 31 Spider 6.5 Rattlesnake 5.5 Mountain lion 1 Shark 1 Alligator 0.3 Bear 0.5 Scorpion 0.5 Centipede 0.5 Elephant 0.25 Wolf 0.1 Horse 20 Bull

http://historylist.wordpress.com/2008/05/29/human-deaths-in-the-us-caused-by-animals/

Just to back up COG.......

Most dangerous animal in Africa? (Excluding mosquitoes and human?)

Not lions.

Not hyaenas.

Not leopards.

Not snakes.

Definitely not hippos (urban myth)

Not elephants.

Not crocodiles.

Dogs. Feral dogs kill around 20,000 to 25,000 people every year.

To be fair, this is roughly the same number as die of snake bites.

Mike

Guest OntarioSquatch

And it's not just for the safety of humans, it's other animals as well. I know someone whose little dog got torn up by a German shepherd so bad that the owner chose to have the little guy put to sleep. The German shepherd wasn't on a leash when it attacked.

My first sighting i had my dog , a full blood ed Americn satire terrier(AKA Piitbull).It was around 11:00- 12:00pm-am when we had placed a salmon jar across a two track with a green glow stick about 8' of the ground.we were all talking around the camp fire when my dog Jacob started alerting us of a intruder circling our camp sight.The intruder was moving within the darkness beyond light of out fire within the pines behind our cars.My dog kept barking in the direction of the intruder as it moved through the pines as it used it them hide.

Now i am from Detroit so my dog was well trained to protect our house and me from any intruder.So i was very comfortable with this dog when it alerted me of any intruder.

After we had our encouter with this creature,myself and my friend left to get this other reseacher..But before i left i put my dog in his crate inside our tent and zipped the tent and left for twon to retrieve the reseacher.we could not find the researcher and returned back to camp but got lost on our way back since it was our first time in this area.So we slept in a gas station and waited for the staion to open got some gas and went back to search for camp.

When we finally found our camp the researcher was finally there looking at prints that the creature had left behind .I went into my tent and seen that my tent was open and that there was these leaves and all this muck and water since it had rained the night before. i had found my dog cowarding and shaking which was very unusual and he acted very strange.When i brought him home from that weekend,that whole week he stayed in a corner shaking and did not eat.He did not play with the other dogs ,so something happened to him while we were gone that shook him up.

Our speculation is that the creature had entered our tent and checked out my dog through his crate. This is what shook him so badly.After that incident it changed him and made him a better dog .But now I will never know since he is now gone to a better place.

Guest Luckyfoot

Super uncool and illegal.

Thank you for leashing the dog.

Question. Why do dog owners seem to assume that everyone loves dogs?? I do not. Now most of the time it's the irresponsible dog owner that I do not like, but still. I am FAR more afraid of a dog off the leash while walking in the forest than ANY black bear.

Why? Because DOGS KILL way more people every year than black bears, brown bears, and mountains combined....by ALOT.

Wow. Run. The sky is falling.

How many bears and wildlife you run into that respond to their owner's voice command ?

that would make your point kinda moot.

I for one don't assume that everybody loves dogs. I know there are many folks out there who don't feel the same way I do.

But I do have a right to own a dog. So those types need to respect that.

I'm going to refuse to feel any kind of guilt for letting my dog offleash miles in the forest , or anywhere else I'm inclined to feel

isolated.

I

About three weeks ago, five men took two "hog" dogs into a field of mature corn that was in-line for harvesting when the moisture of the corn reached the acceptable level. The location is not far from a very large area of undeveloped creek, river and bayou bottoms lands which are known to be the home ranges of several family groups of BF, both the large "Reds" and some of the smaller blacks ones. The Longview "Capture & Containment" operation that is mentioned on the MABRC website is also located in that general area.

The five men and their dogs were walking around one irregular corner of the cornfield - that corner being near one of the large creeks - to try to find and kill some wild hogs that had been destroying that part of the huge cornfield to get to the ripe corn. The men and dogs were walking on the turn-row at the end of one section of the field when both dogs struck a scent trail. One dog refused to follow the trail into the dense corn, but one followed the scent about 40 or 50 feet into the corn. (That spot had not been damaged by the hogs and the corn stalks were still standing erect.) The dog made two quick "bayed" sounds, then a very quick yelp. Before the men had time to get started toward the dog, the dog was thrown over the corn toward them and made a head-over-heels landing on the turn row. The dogs was not seriously injuried, and bore no evidence of claw, teeth or tusk injury. The "banana" shaped tracks with the typical "nub" big toe off the side of the foot at the location of the dog's initial encounter showed the "pitcher" was one of the Black "BF".

Last weekend I drove to the area and spoke to two of the men involved. I spent one night down there, and I and four others were able to hear the distinct sounds from two of the black ones, from opposite directions in the same general area.

(A deputy sheriff in Clarke County, AL had his bulldog thrown back at him at his hunting shack a few years ago. That report is included in the group of reports given to Bobbie Short, and which are now on her web site.)

Edited by Branco

Guest COGrizzly

^^^ My College roommate and I were camping with other friends back in the day. While sitting around the campfire, my roommate bent over to pet this dog of a friend we had known for years and years. The dog bit Josh's face. Ruined his face. Ruined a friendship. Dog destroyed. Nothing had happened to spook the dog. It was a perfectly fine, well trained dog. Yet that happened.

I don't care if your dog has perfect voice command skills. What you are doing is still illegal. Some National Parks don't even allow them in some areas on the trail.

"Pets are not permitted on trails or in the backcountry." Rocky Mtn National Park - http://www.petfriendlytravel.com/national_parks

There certainly are places where it is appropriate to let your dog off the leash and play fetch. I care for a dog "Max" once in awhile and do that, where it is legal in the Forest.

Did your dog respond to voice commands when it "chased a deer"? If you knew the stress that puts on any ungulate, you'd be agreeing with me.

Guest wudewasa

I visited this park with some of those folks who let their dogs do whatever they want, and as long as they don't bother me and mine, no problem. When a large shepherd mix grabbed a hold of my dog (who was on a leash), I body slammed the attacker and put my boot in its rib cage multiple times. The dog got the message, the owner didn't. With indignant rage, she said "My dog just likes to play rough!" "SO DO I, !@#$" was my reply. She took a few steps toward me, and finally recognized that if she put her hands on me, then bad things would happen. It cost over $300 to have my dog sewed up. Now, I carry pepper spray in defense.

So yes, I know how a sasquatch might feel when a stupid human and their aggressive animals get too close to them and theirs!