• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Explorer

Explorer

Wildman

• Sésquac
  • 246 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:41 PM

A couple of years ago, both a look-out tower ranger (located north of Shasta) and a Mt. Shasta ranger told me that the Marble Mountains (located in the Klamath National Forest, CA) are known for Bigfoot sightings and were supposedly a hotspot.

I checked the BFRO website, and confirmed that they had numerous sightings but not as numerous (or high density) as the Six Rivers National Forest.

Nonetheless, I was so intrigued by a BF encounter report that took place in the Marble Mountain Wilderness area back in 1998 that I decided to go there this year. The link to the BFRO report is attached below.

http://www.bfro.net/...rt.asp?id=22434

The eyewitness was backpacking solo along the PCT (that runs along the eastern edge of the Marble Mountains Wilderness) and on her 2nd night on the Marbles had a very freaky encounter with a BF.

The eyewitness did not say exactly (although she gave a pretty good description) where she camped that 2nd night except that it was above a lake that drains into Wooley Creek. Unfortunately, there are two forks to Wooley Creek, North and South. The exact location of her sighting is not on the BFRO report and I don’t think the Mangani map has the correct location based on her descriptions.

After reviewing the Marble Mountains Wilderness map and going over her description, I believed that she was camping on a ledge above either Man Eaten Lake, Wooley Lake or Minle Lake.

Thus, I went backpacking to that area of the Marble Mountain Wilderness for 3 days (Sept. 10 thru Sept. 12) to explore and see if I could find the location of her experience. My destination was Man Eaten Lake – because it drains into the north fork of the Wooley Creek and I thought it would be a good candidate.

I entered via the Lovers Camp Trailhead and spent first night at the Lower Sky High Lake. Second day I backpacked up to PCT and camped on a ledge about 150 ft above Man Eaten Lake.

The area is wild and very rugged.
The ranger warned me that I was on my own since cell phones don’t work there, and she was right.
I had no encounters with bears, cats, deer, or Bigfoot.
The only disappointment was that cattle are allowed around some of the lakes and I had to listen to their bells the first night at Sky High Lake.
I also ran into cattle along the PCT, but saw no more after the trailhead down to Summit Lake.

The eyewitness from 1998 entered the Marbles via the PCT near Mt. Etna Summit and backpacked North for 2 days.
She exited where I entered at the Lover's Camp TH.
Thus, I kind of did the reverse but did not go all the way back to Mt. Etna but instead exited via a loop (via Little Elk Lake).

While Man Eaten Lake had a drainage going down a steep cliff into Wooley Creek drainage and was surrounded by high peaks, it did not have the creek that she mentions next to the ledge. Thus, I don’t think Man Eaten lake is the correct location.
The other potential places that she could have camped that were close to PCT and are above a lake are Wooley Lake and Milne Lake which where ~1 mile from where I was (but I did not visit to check).

Anyway, I think I was pretty close to where she had her encounter.
That 2nd night above Wooley Creek drainage was warm and beautiful and I did not hear a thing – just the wind.

After the trip, I went back to the Ranger Station at Fort Jones to find out the areas in the Wilderness where cattle are not allowed.
They gave me a list of all the lakes where cattle are allowed.
Thus, next time that I go to the Marbles, I will go to areas with no cattle.
I will probably go to the Wooley Creek Trailhead that goes deep into the guts of the wilderness (as opposed to the route I took which is at the top).

It is not as much fun to backpack solo, so if any of you Forum Members will like to join me in a future trip to the Marbles please let me know.

#2 Ace!

Ace!

Skunk Ape

• Banned
  • 3,162 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:42 PM

Yes
A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having!
Justitia suum cuique distribuit

#3 Explorer

Explorer

Wildman

• Sésquac
  • 246 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:04 PM

My map attachment did not go the first time around.
Hopefully it will show now.
Just a rough Google Earth map showing the location of the original BF sighting and my recent trip.
Added all of the Mangani BF sightings that were close to this area.
I also added markers to show points of interest: Patterson Film location, Etna Summit, Somes Bar.

Attached Files

Edited by Explorer, 23 September 2012 - 10:07 PM.

#4 brucescotland

brucescotland

Wildman

• Inactive
  • 163 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:59 AM

Although you didnt see-hear anything im so so so envious that you are able to actually visit and retrace the steps people have had encounters. Id join you in a second if i could.
........."and whats he doing now"?............."hes looking at me".........."uh oh"............

PMP ..........£13 uk pounds.....bargin at twice the price.....would of joined sooner had i know what i was missing...

#5 BobbyO

BobbyO

Sasquatch

• Steering Committee
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:20 PM

Cool post Explorer, thanks for posting it..
It's one thing being obsessed by something, it's another thing entirely and bordering on lunacy to spend big portions of time obsessing over trying to disprove that same something to people who have seen that something, on a Website deidcated to that something. - Bobbyo

Keep the Forum alive, register as a premium member to ensure that by clicking here.

#6 Strick

Strick

Oh Mah

• Inactive
  • 549 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:24 PM

Explorer, You should go back in hiking season if you're feeling too isolated. I think around late July would be right for the Marble Mountains. The PCT is very seasonal as most people start in April but have to be done by the end of September when the snows start to come in in the Northern Cascades. An area that can be very busy during early summer can be practically uninhabited a few weeks later.

I have hiked through the Marbles and it is a very beautiful area. You are correct that the free-roaming cattle are off-putting in such a remote place and take their toll on the purity of the water sources. I have not had an encounter in the area, but I was awoken in the middle of the night by a whole herd of deer around my tent on the ridge that is just South of Etna Summit. A weird place for deer as it was a very exposed ridge with no tree cover. I felt for sure it was one of those ridge-walking Bigfoots you hear about!

Scott Herriott told me about a Bigfoot encounter a PCT hiker had in the 1970's on the junction of the PCT and Bloody Run Trail. Apparently, he woke in the morning to find huge prints around his tent and the zips on his backpack had all been undone and inspected. I staked the place out myself but it was very quiet. The area is a horse camp now and it would be tough to distinguish Bigfoot tracks from all the hoof prints. LOts of creepy Coyotes in the neighbourhood.

Incidentally, Etna is perhaps the nicest town along the PCT and a great place to base yourself. Very Friendly. However, I started quizzing a Ranger about Bigfoot and got a few funny looks...!

BruceinScotland

Don't do yourself down! It's not impossible to spend some time in the Western States looking for Bigfoot if that's what you really want to do. Hell, me and Bobby do it all the time!

I would strongly recommend hiking the 2,600 miles of the Pacific Crest Trail. It will take you through all of the finest Bigfoot habitat in North America and change your life while you're out there.

#7 dogu4

dogu4

Yowie

• Inactive
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:12 AM

This BFRO report has long been one of my favorites, both for bringing to mind the kind of solo treeline hiking in that region (the Sierra/Cascadia Klammath Knot type) that is so appealling, and even more so the general description of this highly active creature and its antics which seem so consistent in my view as to what a sasquatch must be for it to exist and yet remain elusive as it has. I admire your having gone solo and agree that usually it is not all that much fun though it does have other rewards; being inconspicuous and on one's own itinerary being chief among them. Thanks for sharing. Cheers.

#8 corvus horribilus

corvus horribilus

Bukwas

• Banned
  • 431 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 01:21 PM

I like the youth trip Marble Mountain video from ten or so years ago. Whilst the 'den' discovered might be debatable, the video of the distant BF (or hoaxer) makes excellent watching. If subsequent height comparisons are accurate, then the hoaxer would have had to be wearing a suit/structure that raised him up to over 8 and a half feet. Hoaxers of this calibre and dedication should be inducted into some sort of 'Hall of Fame' for such efforts!
I can neither confirm nor deny that I am really a crow.

#9 Cervelo

Cervelo

Bigfoot

• Banned
  • 4,793 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:11 PM

^^^^^
This was posted by a member here it's a screen capture and enlargement from that vid
Posted Image

#10 Ace!

Ace!

Skunk Ape

• Banned
  • 3,162 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:16 PM

Can you cite the member that's done that?

#11 Cervelo

Cervelo

Bigfoot

• Banned
  • 4,793 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:20 PM

I can't remember Ace but I'm pretty sure it's in the thread about the vid....I'll do some snooping when I get home
iPhone doesn't search well on this site

#12 corvus horribilus

corvus horribilus

Bukwas

• Banned
  • 431 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:29 PM

@cervelo, I think the hoaxer has done a better job than wearing shorts, as the zoom on the camera introduces weird pixelation effects. Other frames show a regular suit or legs. I think there is probably better evidence to debunk the video with.

Of greater interest to me is the height comparison. See 9.20 on the vid below:

Either a better hoax than we think, or FB/FB are 'hoaxing' the reenactment? Something definitely afoot here, and smelly!
I can neither confirm nor deny that I am really a crow.

#13 Woodswalker

Woodswalker

Bukwas

• Banned
  • 310 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:04 PM

I would strongly recommend hiking the 2,600 miles of the Pacific Crest Trail. It will take you through all of the finest Bigfoot habitat in North America and change your life while you're out there.

PCT Is very close to the sites of my experiences and evidence collected. Part of my hypothesis on the animal and its movements includes the PCT and its overland route to many habitats favorable for BF.

#14 Strick

Strick

Oh Mah

• Inactive
  • 549 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:32 PM

^ I wouldn't be surprised. I'm not sure why more PCT hikers don't report Bigfoot sightings to tell you the truth.

It's something of a taboo subject on the trail.

I've heard Matt Moneymaker make exactly the same case for the Appalachian Trail corridor in the East as a kind of nocturnal Bigfoot thoroughfare.

Makes sense.

#15 Cervelo

Cervelo

Bigfoot

• Banned
  • 4,793 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:25 PM

I don't think the Marble Mt vid is a hoax they just didn't realize what they were looking at a guy hiking pretty simple really, shorts, boots and backpack is what I see.
It's the Bigfoot community that turned it into something it's not and then give it a few years and it's fact....just like the majority of the "evidence".

#16 kbhunter

kbhunter

Yowie

• BFF Blogger
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:33 PM

Nice post Cervelo, I don't remember seeing this. Looks pretty clear cut to me!
KB
To live life is to love life. Loving life is much easier when we all accept each other for who we are.

#17 Cervelo

Cervelo

Bigfoot

• Banned
  • 4,793 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:41 PM

^^^
Thx

#18 dirtmonkey

dirtmonkey

Booger

• Inactive
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:53 PM

raaaats.
friend of the Feet

#19 damndirtyape

damndirtyape

Chiye-tanka

• Members
  • 881 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:16 PM

That image looks like it is from the re-enactment and not the original video.

#20 Ace!

Ace!

Skunk Ape

• Banned
  • 3,162 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:30 AM

That was the reason for my post DDA. That certainly doesn't look like it's from the original video. The original was from so far away and the quality wasn't there. It was so badly pixelated that it's hard to believe anyone could get that detail from the original video. I just don't think anyone could.