• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Yeti1974

Yeti1974

Bukwas

• Members
  • 481 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 10:43 AM

I've been looking in my "new" backyard (just moved to this location) at night for a couple months now, and never saw anything shining back at me. Last night I did--up a forested hill, quite a ways away from me, but definately not starlight, and I wasn't seeing things (my wife confirmed that there was a "light" where I was pointing, although she didn't see two "eyes" as I did).

Anyway, I obviously can't be sure it was anything squatchy--perhaps an owl on a tree looking down on me? But I'm pretty sure something was there.

Guess I should get a thermal cam.

Will keep everyone posted on any developments.

#2 ludo

ludo

Booger

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 11:47 AM

I was once puzzled by a thread on eyeshine back on the old BFF. I even recall someone saying that bigfoot actually emits light from his eyes. No, surely that's my memory playing tricks... Anyway now might be a good time to get a better understanding of it.

Yeti1974, was this shine reflected light from your home? Was there any way of knowing how far away and/or high above the ground the eyes were? And was it, as you seem to indicate by saying it wasn't starlight, white in colour? Several people have opined that bigfoot eyeshine is red or sometimes yellow.

#3 Ambermae

Ambermae

Wildman

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 11:59 AM

I am confused also ludo, i was under the impression that you need a light source to be shone at the eye to get eyeshine, ah la 'deer in the headlights' but mybe i'm wrong. Wouldn't be the first time :P
Anymore of that behaviour and you shall receive a short, sharp visit from the smack fairy! - Stephen Fry, QI

#4 Yeti1974

Yeti1974

Bukwas

• Members
  • 481 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 12:46 PM

I'm pretty sure the light wasn't being reflected from my house--I've never seen it before in the pitch black behind my house, and there was no light source being shone from my area that would have caused it.

I did notice that it came and went at one point. I asked my wife to come outside to see, and then I couldn't see it anymore. Waited a couple minutes, went back outside, and it was there again. After that, I quietly asked her to come outside, and that's when she saw it too.

It was pretty far away--going uphill, I'd hate to even guess how far it was. But I did shine a flashlight at it and couldn't make out anything, so it was farther than my light could go. Again, can't really say how high up it was given the terrain. I did notice that it seemed to move or "sway," but this could have been a trick of my eyes of course.

As far as color, I'd say it was somewhere between yellow and white.

#5 TooRisky

TooRisky

Yowie

• Banned
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 02:39 PM

Thinking eye shine in the dark is BF would be the last thing I would think of, considering all of the creatures who's eyes shine even in low light...

#6 Yeti1974

Yeti1974

Bukwas

• Members
  • 481 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 02:47 PM

BF didn't seriously cross my mind. Possum, owl...but again, I'm not going to be especially shocked if something larger turns up.

#7 RB.

RB.

Booger

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 02:48 PM

Before even considering the possibility of what you saw being bigfoot related, I would first attempt to rule out the most likely causes...

For instance... white / yellow eye reflection is common to deer... and there are millions of them wandering around at night...

You did not mention the time, but another consideration would be when the moon rose last night... it's been emerging very early morning recently out here on the left coast... so if the moon was low on the horizon, it may indeed project a bright light on the hillside before you actually see the moon rise... and if the alignment is just right, it may appear as though there is no discernible light source...

Flashlights... is it possible there are any hidden marijuana plots up on that hillside? What about roads... or... *ahem*.. areas prone to teenage love / beer drinking / partying?

You might want to go take a look in the daylight... but please be careful in unfamiliar territory... Watch out for: tracks... scat... booby traps... Mexican nationals with AK-47s... beer cans... and discarded party ballons...

I might also suggest you attempt to video any further unidentified lights... bring it here and we will be happy to draw a bunch of red circles on it for you... no need to thank us... it's what we do...
Whoa... you really don't look well at all...

#8 Yeti1974

Yeti1974

Bukwas

• Members
  • 481 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 03:10 PM

Don't have a video camera but I'd be happy to snap a few shots if it happens again, for what it's worth.

I've seen plenty of deer around my house in just two months--never had one (apparently) stare at me for that length of time, without moving and making noise. I've gotten pretty good at making out deer sounds--but nobody's perfect.

Moon reflection doesn't make sense to me given the location, neither do flashlights. Starlight coming from sky beyond the trees was the only thing that did make sense, but I've pretty much ruled that out by scanning the area today.

Pretty confident it was an animal, or somebody screwing with me.

#9 RB.

RB.

Booger

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 03:21 PM

My point with the moon rise was that it could cause a reflection of the eyes of a creature, or something else... like a shiny piece of metal or glass... geometry would come into play here... but perhaps I've gone off on a tangent with that idea...

If that was someone screwing with you... they need to get a better hobby, cause that's a pretty lame one...
Whoa... you really don't look well at all...

#10 gigantor

gigantor

Bigfoot

• Tech
  • 4,825 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 11:17 PM

I think moonlight could be a possibility...

#11 fishnut

fishnut

Booger

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 07:05 PM

I agree on the moonlight.

#12 Yeti1974

Yeti1974

Bukwas

• Members
  • 481 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 03:35 PM

Moonlight reflecting on pieces of metal that move, disappear, and then are gone the next night?

My backyard is a forest. It's not beyond all comprehension that I saw an animal's eyes.

#13 yakcam

yakcam

Wildman

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 03:48 PM

Don't have a video camera but I'd be happy to snap a few shots if it happens again, for what it's worth.

I wish you the very best of luck! :)

I hope you have more success than I've had trying to do the same thing. It is so frustrating, especially if the eye shine's at a distance. I cant see it through the viewfinder and the LCD screen is hoppeless too, so it's a case of point, shoot and hope for the best. I have many, many photo's of black and when I have managed to capture it, it's out of focus and looks like a single red glow, but looking at it with my naked eye, you can clearly see a pair... bloody frustrating.

I have to say though, that my photo's suck in general, even in daylight, standing as still as I can, sometimes it looks like I've taken them from a moving car with square wheels :unsure:

Cheers,

Kraig
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.