Are Hikers, Campers, And Hunters Pushing Bf To Its Limits?

georgerm

I read your all-caps Word document several times before figuring out which direction to approach it from.  I whittled it down as much as I could to comment....

HERE IN SOUTHWEST OREGON, A BF CLAN WILL OCCUPY A 30 MILE BY 30 MILE TERRITORY BEFORE THE NEXT CLAN TAKES OVER.  THIS IS 900 SQUARE MILES

Are you saying there's 30 clans of Bigfoot in southwest Oregon?  Is this documented?  How big is a clan?

WHEN SHOT OR SHOT AT, THEY BECOME HOMICIDAL FOR A CERTAIN PERIOD OF TIME.      

Let me guess....  Someone shot at a Bigfoot, the Bigfoot went beserk, dismembered the shooter, calmed down, and a witness to this got away to tell the story in his local saloon.  There must have been several such instances since you used the term "They".  Is this a normal trait of the species?

I've read numerous reports of people shooting at Bigfoot, but don't recall any of the Bigfoot becoming homicidal for a "certain period of time". Is this what happened with Hank?  :o

WE NEED A NATIONAL MOVEMENT OF ‘RESPECT THE BIGFOOT’ AND NOT HUNT DOWN AND KILL BF SINCE IT KIDNAPS OUR KIDS

What do they do with our kidnapped kids?  Save them for a snack?  Keep them as pets?  Make sausage links?

WRabbit said, "I've read numerous reports of people shooting at Bigfoot, but don't recall any of the Bigfoot becoming homicidal for a 'certain period of time'."

I believe it's Coonbo who tells a story about investigating a report of a Bigfoot killing a hunter in Colorado. A guide took a client hunting in the mountains. The party stumbled on a Bigfoot. The hunter shot at the Bigfoot. The Bigfoot began running at the hunter. The guide took off, but either looked over his shoulder to observe the Bigfoot tearing the hunter limb from limb, or just found the body parts when he later returned to the site with local law enforcement -- I forget which it was. 

The newspapers reported that a bear had attacked and killed the hunter. 

Coonbo said the guide took him somewhere near the site of the killing, but pointed at it from a distance and wouldn't actually go to the spot himself. 

And if it wasn't during Coonbo's Midnight Walkers interview that I heard this story, maybe someone here will remember who investigated the incident. 

Guest Cervelo

History defying stuff folks....every single large animal that has been present since the white man with guns showed up has been harvested and every "threat" to us hunted to near extinction.

Or pushed from their range to the fringes of their habitat.

In all our exploring and fundamentally changing the environment to our use not one single verifiable body, part ect ect to back up the stories.

If biggie possess half the abilities some attribute to them, they would have dominated this continent and that's who would have greeted us and wiped us out the moment we showed up.

Bigfoot army massing in the woods waiting to take us out.....in my lifetime of hunting, camping, hiking haven't seen it.

Romantic notion best left to the movies

Edited by Cervelo

Bigfoot army massing in the woods waiting to take us out.....in my lifetime of hunting, camping, hiking haven't seen it.

Romantic notion best left to the movies

That IS a romantic notion, Cervelo, you're right -- and it came right out of your romantic head.

Nobody has said that there's a "Bigfoot army massing in the woods waiting to take us out." Only you have said that. 

All that people have said is that a Bigfoot who has been shot at can get extremely grumpy, so you might want to think twice about shooting at one.

Doesn't Oregon have a law that prohibits killing a sasquatch?

I think it's just one county, but it seems to be working wonderfully.

Guest Grifter9931

I think it's just one county, but it seems to be working wonderfully.

Now if they could only come up with one that said don't poach the wildlife or maybe don't kill people.. That would be dandy..

I think we have to keep in mind that our history as a species with bigfoot goes back millennia.  It didn't start yesterday, or even just a few centuries ago. 

Like us, they are hominids, And we may eventually learn that they are, indeed, part us.  Their needs are similar in almost all respects to what our own were at a pre-agricultural stage.  The resources they require are, by and large, the same ones we required and still do, though we have long since learned to use advanced means to supply our own.

So we have always lived in competition with them and they have always been adept at using us as a resource, perhaps originally (and perhaps still occasionally) as prey, and long since as producers of food.  One could speculate that they have become as they are in many aspects because they live in a world that they share with us.  Consider the percentage of reports that take place in their habitat and consider the percentage of reports that take place in our habitat.  There is a balance, and one could say that they encroach on us as much as or more than we encroach on them.

They are adaptable and opportunistic, living in many environments and taking advantage of all available food sources.  And they often live on the fringes of our civilization, drawn to us by the food sources we generate and perhaps a few other things.  So I doubt that we are placing stress on their population by continuing to produce food sources for them to take advantage of, or by occasionally forcing them to relocate to another habitat in which they seem able to thrive.  In fact, their rotational nomadic pattern seems to be one of their defining characteristics.

Respect is always a good thing, but I don't think we are putting any more stress on them than at any other time in history, and I think that a community of farmers aware of bigfoot, and vigilantly protecting their edibles against bigfoot encroachment, would put more stress on bigfoot than all the hikers, campers, and hunters that encroach on their habitat.

Ultimately, when our culture reawakens to their factual existence I don't think things will change too much for them.  It'll change far more things for us.

Most hikers, campers and hunters would be unaware they were in the foraging area of a Bigfoot and unaware they were at times being watched. (If most did know, I suspect there would be few folks still participating in those outdoor activities.) Us being in their foraging area is no big deal to them. Game crippled by hunters is a free meal for them. Numerous reports of Bigfoot picking up deer or hogs that were shot but managed to get out of view of the hunters before falling. Many reports from hunters who found themselves being watched by Bigfoot that were just waiting for a bad shot.

Being in one of their bedding/family areas is different. Those specific areas are not used continually, but each is usually marked one way or the other. The site they use the most is more definitively and more clearly marked. They may have several bedding/family areas depending on the time of year and the weather conditions during a particular period. Anyone approaching one of those bedding areas when it it occupied, day or night, will know it before they see it. In that case it is a dead certainty that it will not be the Bigfoot that is alarmed, threatened or frightened. And the trespasser will likely never see what puts them in the flight mode.

If someone deliberately attempts to sneak up on them at an occupied bedding area, at a favorite watering hole in hot weather, or when they are feeding will find they have no patience for such foolishness. Been there, done that; and ain't gonna try it again. Better ways to interact without all the dramatic displays.  :o

Imonocan, JDL, and Branco: Those are beautiful thoughts, beautifully expressed. Thanks for sharing them. And thanks, georgerm, for raising the questions that gave rise to them. 

THE ATTACHED MAP SHOWS PART OF A BF HABITAT IN SOUTHERN OREGON ALONG THE MILLICOMA RIVERS.     AS YOU CAN SEE,  ROADS AND CLEAR CUTS ARE EVERYWHERE.     ACCESS INTO THE WOODS IS EASY SO BF IS DRIVEN FARTHER INTO A FEW REMOTE AREAS LEFT.   SOON DEER AND BEAR SEASON WILL OPEN AND RUN TO JANUARY.    DURING THIS TIME BF NEEDS TO STAY HIDDEN OR THE 'LOOSE CANNONS' WILL SHOOT AT IT JUST FOR FUN.    MY GUESS IS BF WILL BECOME NONEXISTANT IN AREAS IT USED TO BE COMMON.   

Most hikers, campers and hunters would be unaware they were in the foraging area of a Bigfoot and unaware they were at times being watched. (If most did know, I suspect there would be few folks still participating in those outdoor activities.) Us being in their foraging area is no big deal to them. Game crippled by hunters is a free meal for them. Numerous reports of Bigfoot picking up deer or hogs that were shot but managed to get out of view of the hunters before falling. Many reports from hunters who found themselves being watched by Bigfoot that were just waiting for a bad shot.  WERE THEY JUVENILE LOOK OUTS TO MAKE SURE THE HUNTER DIDN'T GET CLOSER TO THE DEN?    DO THEY SEND OUT THE JUVENILES SINCE THEY ARE EXPENDABLE BUT IMPORTANT FOR CLAN PROTECTION?

Being in one of their bedding/family areas is different. Those specific areas are not used continually, but each is usually marked one way or the other. The site they use the most is more definitively and more clearly marked. They may have several bedding/family areas depending on the time of year and the weather conditions during a particular period. Anyone approaching one of those bedding areas when it it occupied, day or night, will know it before they see it. In that case it is a dead certainty that it will not be the Bigfoot that is alarmed, threatened or frightened. And the trespasser will likely never see what puts them in the flight mode.  CAN YOU TELL US YOUR STORY?

If someone deliberately attempts to sneak up on them at an occupied bedding area, at a favorite watering hole in hot weather, or when they are feeding will find they have no patience for such foolishness. Been there, done that; and ain't gonna try it again. Better ways to interact without all the dramatic displays.  :o

post-447-0-09115200-1376326418_thumb.jpg

Edited by georgerm

Guest Darrell

Who says the things are even endangered, if they even exist?  I mean we can make them be anything we want right? They are seen everywhere in N. America, they are seen by hundreds if not thousands. We cant catch one or kill one. Or even film or photograph one. They can speak, they can become invisible, they can shape shift, they can teleport, they are huge, they are small, they can speak via telepathy. Or they can be none of these things. So what is it?

I don't think they're endangered.  In fact, I think their population is increasing.

A couple I know in Stone County, Missouri tell me that the local bigfoot hide out on their property every year during hunting season.

If they weren't smart enough to keep their heads down when deer hunters are around we'd likely have long since had a type specimen.

Responses to recent questions from Georgerm, 

1.   "CAN YOU TELL US YOUR STORY?"

2.  "WERE THEY JUVENILE LOOK OUTS TO MAKE SURE THE HUNTER DIDN'T GET CLOSER TO THE DEN?    DO THEY SEND OUT THE JUVENILES SINCE THEY ARE EXPENDABLE BUT IMPORTANT FOR CLAN PROTECTION?"

1)  In the first instance I had sort of pin-pointed one small family group's bedding area by listening to that group's big male's gathering (or "time to hunt") call to another male that bedding with his family about a mile away. One very hot day while camped in an area, I decided to see how close I could get to what I thought was the east-side group bedding area. I back-packed in with a CD player, some recorded BF calls, a set of Walker's Hunter's Ears and a lot of water. I followed a very narrow and rough hollow to a point I figured was within three or four hundred yards of the bedding area. (I had decided beforehand that the bedding area had to be on a flat about half way up the mountain.) I sat down and waited about 30 minutes just listening. Heard nothing so I set up the CD player on a big boulder, concealed myself behind the boulder and played a BF recording. (Don't remember which one.) From up on the flat I heard something crashing through the thick cover and heading down hill toward me. The sounds stopped about three hundred yards from me where the flat area ended, and a steep slope descended to the dry creek in the hollow. The slope contained a thick stand of old-growth pine trees, a lot of black jack oaks and an under-story of winter huckleberries.

I could not see much on the upper part of the slope but scanned the fairly open lower part of the ridge with binoculars. I saw nothing of interest. Although there was not even a breeze blowing, I heard the deafening sound of a large dead tree falling in the upper slope area. Nothing else was seen or heard. I had been watching and listening to a thunderstorm approaching from the south, - the other side of my camp. Since I had no rain protection for the electronic equipment, I started back toward the camp which was about 3/4 mile away. After walking briskly for several minutes I figured I was close enough to the camp to beat the rain if I played another quick call. I played the call and immediately put on the Hunter's Ears. As soon as I turned them on I heard a very deep and loud growling/snarling sound from a steep, rocky, and brush-covered rock outcrop just across the narrow hollow from me. Although I carefully scanned the slope with binoculars, I saw no brush movement and no animal. After watching a while, I barely beat the rain to my truck.

Several days later I hiked back to the location in which I first played the calls and slowly started walking (sneaking) up the slope toward the flat. When I neared the top of the ridge that led directly to the high point the flat was on, I heard loud, repetitive, hooting and grunting sounds coming from the high point that were very similar to those sounds made by howler monkeys or apes when agitated. The noises were very aggressive sounding. Since I was alone and unarmed – firearms were not allowed in the area that time of year - I chose not to try to approach the animal making the sounds. The sounds continued until I left the area.

During the next very hot and dry summer I found three cold-water springs that both the two groups depended on for fresh water. (Their tracks were very evident in the grit and sand around the edges of the springs, and the outline of their feet were shown as grit and sand on some of the large rocks nearby.) Every creek, branch and even the upper part of the small river that heads in that general area was dry. I decided to camp in the area for several days and try to slip onto a brush-covered rocky cliff that overlooked the largest spring closest to both of the groups’ bedding areas. I was camped about a mile from the spring. One day at noon – the temperature was 104 degrees – I started walking toward the spring. The spring was located in a creek bed at the west side base of the cliff I chose for my observation point. I was approaching the spring from the east. Across the hollow from the spring was a much larger, higher and heavily wooded ridge. As I slowly approached the crest of the lower ridge, a series of deafening roaring and bellowing sounds erupted from a higher elevation on the ridge to the west. I was so awe struck by the volume of the sounds I simply froze in my tracks. When the sounds began, I heard crashing sounds to my right. Barely turning my head, I saw two large buck deer leaving the area at full speed. Within seconds I also heard crashing sounds and rock clicking sounds coming from the spring’s location. At the same time the sounds from the opposite ridge changed to what can only be described as unbelievably loud gorilla “hooting†sounds. As soon as I turned to walk away, I heard the sounds of large green limbs or tree tops being broken, Glancing over my shoulder as I walked away, all I could see was tree tops and limbs shaking. (Not a breeze had blown all day.) When I had walked back down the side of the ridge for about fifty yards, the woods became silent again. I walked for about another hundred yards and then I sat down on a shaded boulder to drink some cold water and watch my back trail. I had a little trouble opening the water bottle because the bottle would not be still, but I did not see anything following me.  %5Burl= (I do not know if I had interrupted the BF family members drinking at the spring, or if the group was just approaching the spring when the male spotted me. It could have been other deer I heard running up the hollow from the spring.) 

2)  I really think the security of the family groups is left up to the mature males, at least during the day. When the mature males are hunting and foraging at night, the juvenile males may very well take over that duty.

Edited by Branco
  • Upvote 1