Urban Bigfoot, Seriously?

Lake County Bigfooot

Hey GK, thanks for the words of encouragement. Much appreciated.  

So by your approach, one should just jump along with the OP to the very unlikely conclusion that the sounds came from a Bigfoot? 40 miles from down town Chicago?   ( and I don't believe he even mentions a visual)

And people wonder why Bigfooting is not taken seriously.  Any attempt to even vet stuff from within is met with hostility.  Why do you think real scientists will not take this seriously?  If someone says they heard THREE Bigfoots in their backyard 40 miles from down town Chicago, well that statement REQUIRES the highest level of scrutiny possible. Not immediate acceptance.  Geesh. 

Edited by dmaker
  • Upvote 1

I have an unproven theory about this. My first close encounter involved a waterway system very close to a major city. I later had a visual sighting, recorded calls and obtained pictures.

In my study of the connected streams and lakes, I found two existing landfills that could be discreetly accessed with little or no exposure at night.

I think the Bigfoot have evolved into finding these refuse areas a bit of a cafeteria of tidbits, which supplements their natural foraging. They also include dumpster areas behind shopping malls and restaurants.

Just a theory, but personal experience and reports suggest this is going on in many metro areas....

Mind you I have been an avid outdoorsman my whole life, and am familiar with owl, coyote, and all the various sounds in my area. I have barn owls shrieking around my marsh nightly.  The whoop sounds are completely different from any owl, or bird, or mammal, listen to Stan Courtney bigfoot sounds Whoops #1 and #3 add slightly different inflections and that is exactly what I heard.  The volume and the clarity are what I remember made these so different.  I live on a series of lakes with scattered forest and marsh, I found black bear prints only a couple of miles away and my neighbor has a picture of a lone gray wolf that has been passing through, and yes that cougar was first sighted only a couple miles east of me, so critters tend to like this area, and yes it is just north and west of the main suburban sprawl.

Well I looked up that Wildlife Refuge and its a joint WI and IL project that we be 11,000 acres and most of its in the NW direction from Chicago going across the WI border. Also as a real eye opener is the presence of the infamous Crabtree family of Fouke AR fame, they have apparently made their own preserve for the creature they brough back from Boggy Creek ;) See "A" marker !

post-1911-0-00609800-1378400300_thumb.jp

Edited by GEARMAN

Animals will take advantage of our leavings, as long as they have escape terrain and good habitat not too far away.  The OP got that right.

Most of us don't know how wild the outskirts of our cities are.  Europe, too, has wild boar and wolf on the outskirts (and sometimes downtown) Berlin and Bucharest.

If it's an animal science is in denial about (as cougars east of the Rockies were until the past year or so), then count on double denial, that's all.

Mind you I have been an avid outdoorsman my whole life, and am familiar with owl, coyote, and all the various sounds in my area. I have barn owls shrieking around my marsh nightly.  The whoop sounds are completely different from any owl, or bird, or mammal, listen to Stan Courtney bigfoot sounds Whoops #1 and #3 add slightly different inflections and that is exactly what I heard.  The volume and the clarity are what I remember made these so different.  I live on a series of lakes with scattered forest and marsh, I found black bear prints only a couple of miles away and my neighbor has a picture of a lone gray wolf that has been passing through, and yes that cougar was first sighted only a couple miles east of me, so critters tend to like this area, and yes it is just north and west of the main suburban sprawl.

I have really enjoyed this thread you started and glad to see others chime in on what has observed or noted down here in  OK, TX region for a while !

I should add about confusing bigfoot with birds:

I've heard Barred Owls do the crazy chorus that is most frequently cited as a sasquatch analogue.  It confused me when I first heard it...for a few seconds.

The Screaming Piha is the world's loudest bird.  I have heard it at close range.  IT'S A BIRD.  No one would confuse it with a mammal.

One can't take an unschooled witness utterly at face value on animal vocals.  But I doubt that many hearing the Barred Owl chorus would think bigfoot.

I have an unproven theory about this. My first close encounter involved a waterway system very close to a major city. I later had a visual sighting, recorded calls and obtained pictures.

In my study of the connected streams and lakes, I found two existing landfills that could be discreetly accessed with little or no exposure at night.

I think the Bigfoot have evolved into finding these refuse areas a bit of a cafeteria of tidbits, which supplements their natural foraging. They also include dumpster areas behind shopping malls and restaurants.

Just a theory, but personal experience and reports suggest this is going on in many metro areas....

M.O. we met previously a while back at that thing in Tyler and I spoke to you a good long bit afterwards on the phone. Your urban creek side encounter still blows my mind a little as it probably still does yours. I had a little trouble connecting an escape route out though unless a good bit of nocturnal swimming was used going North but who knows ?

It's interesting, there are BF type creature sightings up and down the eastern part of WI, going South into IL.

One of my pal's dad had a 50 foot daylight sighting right on the border when he was 15.

My GF's parents had some BF 'hunters' following up on multiple sightings on their property (and adjacent).

For some reason, that region is a hotspot.

"No one would confuse it with a mammal."  DWA

You cannot possibly state that as a fact.

You're right.  There are people dumb enough to do that.

But look what you're stating as facts.  You cannot possibly do that either...but you do....

After finding that interesting stick structure , I found some bird feathers in a walking trail that winds thru 4-5' tall grasses and woodlands. Something had plucked the feathers in that place from the bird but no bird remains were found. I could also make out a path thru the tall grasses that something had moved thru and it intersected the spot where the feathers were found first in the main spot but then gain where it interested the trail again in another spot. Coyote ? Maybe but I dont know if that would be enough to leave a visible trail thru such tall grasses.

Edited by GEARMAN

And people wonder why Bigfooting is not taken seriously.  Any attempt to even vet stuff from within is met with hostility.

You need look no further than your own posts here to find the reason why they are sometimes "met with hostility".

Why do you think real scientists will not take this seriously? 

A perfect example.

There are real scientists who do take this seriously.