Urban Bigfoot, Seriously?

Lake County Bigfooot

Hello again,  today I spent some time birding with my wife.  I have been birding, nature walking, exploring for the last 13 years of happy marriage. I am thankful for that somebody who shares the love of the outdoors, though we express it in slightly different ways, it keeps things interesting.  Today I was near the towns of Inverness, Crystal Springs, both of which showed significant Squatching potential.  I am sorry birds are cool, but in the end I am interested in the big hairy guys.  As a golf pro, eventually I would like to move down here and locate myself for work and squatching, and that really seems easy given what I saw today.  Golf course communities were tucked into places around national forests, and the river systems here are truly spectacular.  I could easily go out to catch dinner, squatch a bit, and be 5 minutes from work.  All of this in very short proximity, hmmm maybe I need to get here sooner!!! Well anyway I will be back in Chicago bemoaning the cold and snow soon enough, so for now to all good night.  

I will read the account above, thanks for posting coffeetogo

Edited by Lake County Bigfooot

I am with you on the "birding" LCB.  This past summer I completed my portion of a 5-year volunteer project on a 4 square mile block I was doing in northern MN.  It was through the Cornell Lab of Ornithology as they were creating an atlas documenting nesting birds all across the country.  

Not really pertaining to bigfoot, but a great way to get out into the woods and swampy areas to look for birds and explore bigfoot habitat.  And, here's the part I liked, if you're reluctant to share your passion for looking for bigfoot you can always say you are out birding.  :wink:

The captured bigfoot account is the second I have heard in Florida, I think there was another incident further

south that lead to an eventual release.  That story stated the animal was too smelly and annoying to the keepers

which lead to letting it go.  Well if it happened before, it might happen again.  Wonder if Sykes is still coming

out with a paper on his genome research.  Where kind of hitting the point where there is no big thing about

to break, well that might lead to some better research and less distraction.  Heading back north on Wed later

in the day, and will be back on Friday, cold and snowy for 2 months.

Still bitter cold here in MN.  Minus 36 degrees with a windchill of -52 at the cabin in northern MN this morning.  Has anyone heard of any reports of bigfoot breaking into buildings to seek shelter from the cold?  Seems like it would be a pretty easy feat for them based on size and strength.  I am thinking maybe a vacant shed, warehouse near an urban area or unused barn.  I guess if there was evidence of something large getting into a building during this type of weather it wouldn't be a bear as they are hibernating.

Got home from Florida last night around 730pm, 16 inches of snow in the drive, got stuck pulling in!  After I got the hot water heating back up, 

went out to snow blow and unstuck the vehicle, then proceeded to wedge it again in a snow bank, I got it free again and almost accelerated

into the far side of the road, luckily I reacted quickly to the vehicle.  It has been that sort of a week for me, on the way home I smelled bad brake

odor while in Dothan Al. Got it checked out and discovered a frozen caliper locking the brake of my rear driver side tire.  I almost had to wait 

several days for a part, but found one available in Montgomery, so I limped the car north, hoping the thing would not catch fire, as I was warned

it might if allowed to overheat.  Got it fixed for $500+ dollars, ouch!! But since I had just had work done on the brake system I have a case for

negligence on the part of the mechanic, as he must have damaged my caliper.  Oh well that is the boring stuff.  I was impressed with a great 

deal of the south for its squatchyness, as well as the mid south.   When we got closer to home I checked out the southern Cook County Forest

Preserves area around Chicago, just wanted to see the landscape.  While busy roads were bordering it, the area was really promising looking with

vast areas of forest, and rivers and lakes.  Not northern Minnesota by any strectch, but what I think could be Squatchy in a truly urban sense.

Coffee2Go, 

I think the most frequently mentioned behavior of Sasquatch regarding shelter is that of Barns,  Many have been seen exiting a hay loft in the morning

presumed to be chasing comfort.  So the notion of one breaking in for shelter is credible.  The Snellgrove Lake incident featured on Monsterquest, suggests

the break in was more of a " Squatch vandalism" incident, but who knows what might motivate them.  I will have to do some research on the topic.  I have

been puzzled by winter, and how on earth they survive, but they are large creatures that are able to maintain their body temperature, and presumably

create shelter, or find warmth in caves.  There are lots of possibilities, maybe a seasonal migration of some type occurs, though prints found in the dead

of winter, often during large snow storms suggest their presence throughout the winter months,

Edited by Lake County Bigfooot

Well I have spent at least a day and 1/2 preparing for the cold snap, currently -12 with a wind chill of -49, not exactly squatching weather.

I cannot fathom them being able to endure these temps, but for that matter any animal, and we know they survive the cold.  Thank Goodness

for the short duration of this weather, I remember living in Minnesota and this stuff lasted weeks, then it would break and get up to +10 degrees

and you would be running around in your short sleeves, it would feel warm.  I am not as insulated from the cold as in my youth, turning 50 this

2014 and wishing for a permanent trip south.  Well I hope all the rest of you in the heartland are keeping warm, and staying indoors for a day

a two.

, on the way home I smelled bad brake

odor while in Dothan Al. Got it checked out and discovered a frozen caliper locking the brake of my rear driver side tire.  I almost had to wait 

several days for a part, but found one available in Montgomery, so I limped the car north, hoping the thing would not catch fire, as I was warned

it might if allowed to overheat.  Got it fixed for $500+ dollars, ouch!! But since I had just had work done on the brake system I have a case for

negligence on the part of the mechanic, as he must have damaged my caliper.

By the way, some of the Chinese "remanufactured" calipers on the market are absolute garbage and it's astonishing that we allow them to be sold. I'm thinking some of them have had NO reconditioning at all beyond being cleaned off and having new external seals. Typically they may have bore ridges and ridges on the slides that allow caliper to seize in position.

Although.... it could also be deterioration of the flex hose, they swell inside and then form a valve such that pressure is not able to be released after the pedal is released. So if that was not replaced, the caliper could still have been good if problems recur, check that.

Edited by Flashman2.0

I too wonder how they surbive in the cold. I was out shoveling the snow this morning, with many layers of clothing,and still cold. I just dont know how they do it. They have to either go in caves, underground or build shelters. I think they build shelters with really thick bedding. They must understand the concept of a roof maybe the young ones bed in trees ad the adults are way too big. I picture a family of squatch all huddled together, trying to keep warm. I bet they use branches from pine trees like les stroud does to build a lean-to with a decent roof.

Also heavily callused feet could serve well in the cold , as i have heavily callused heels and can actually put a lighter to my heel and wont feel it.

Most animals, like bears, develop a fat layer that insulates them from the cold

and provides sustenance during hibernation.  Sasquatch feed in the internal

organs of deer and other mammals to build up this fat layer.  I believe this is

why the livers are targeted, due to the fat content.  Eating a diet of this type

would allow Sasquatch to develop a fat layer of their own and survive difficult

temps.  The larger the animal, and the fatter, the more capable of enduring cold.

Surface skin area in relation to mass, the less surface as compared to mass of

the animal offers protection from cold.  I would also bet on them devising a shelter

of sorts, some have been seen under pine limbs trapping the body heat, and protecting

from the wind.  Not to mention the ambush factor.  I am still doubtful of my local

visitors staying present here, I would think they would need a more remote location

with denser forest to protect and sustain them.

Lcb , what about the squatches that are reported to be 'very lean and muscular like a bodybuilder' ,... How do you think they fair

Thanks for the reply

Maybe different regions have squatches with different body fat percentages that are suited to the area where they are found.  CA and southern squatches are probably more lean than those we have here in northern Minnesota. :-)  Also, a simple shelter covered with snow would be very cozy for a couple of them.  Sort of like an igloo.

People have found many crude structures that have been attributed to bigfoot.  Some are small, some are large.  Sometimes you'll find a flat shelf on a slope where the earth is trampled and packed and a hole stuffed full of vegetation and small animal remains (a midden) is at the back of the area where the shelf ends and the slope starts going up again.  Downslope you can usually find loose logs and branches strewn about as if someone had built a structure on the shelf, then dismantled it and thrown the pieces down.

I offered a theory a while back that they have middens in their mid to large size dens where they use a combination of wet, rotting vegetation, animal remains, and their own waste to create a heat generating compost pile.  In the Sierras, they regularly find disintegrating tree stumps.  I think that these may also be the remains of middens, where a stump at the right stage of decay is used as the basis of a midden and a shelter is constructed around it.  Afterward, most of the stump would be eaten away by bacteria during a winter of use, and disintegrate into coarse dust once the shelter is deconstructed.

Someone a while back posted a video of a crude shelter with steam rising out of it during a snow thaw.  I think this may have been such a shelter.  When the packed snow covering the outside of a shelter melts and the water leaks into the shelter onto the compost midden, it could produce a significant amount of steam.

The use of a rotting midden for compost heating would also account for the dead and decaying odor they sometimes carry with them (not the same thing as the stench we've talked about).

• Upvote 1

Lcb , what about the squatches that are reported to be 'very lean and muscular like a bodybuilder' ,... How do you think they fair

Thanks for the reply

I'm pretty sure we'd find that there's something to their thermoregulatory mechanism that we can't get at yet, not having a specimen.

Or snow monkeys may be the same deal; they don't look particularly fat.  Or how about the flock of geese I saw this morning, serenely sitting on a lake with the air temperature six degrees and windchill below zero?  Or a seal using its blubber to stay warm on polar pack ice with 50-below temps and on five-thousand-foot dives, or a polar bear whose biggest problem at a mere ten below with gale-force winds... is overheating?

No question that extreme muscularity is a prominent feature of many reports.  But they're staying warm.  And here I am wondering how the deer in my area got through last night.

Nature finds a way; we just have to study these guys to find out what theirs is.