Bigfoot In Trees

Well said Saskeptic. Although I do believe in the existance of bigfoot, I can't imagine being in fear of a negative interaction with one. Outdoors is THE place to go to relax and enjoy things you just don't get to experience on the couch. Go out expecting to encounter the conventional, if the unconventional stops by, enjoy that as well.

That's how I *used* to feel. At this moment, I'm actually terrified. Sasskeptic has totally terrified me with the truth of how these assorted creatures attack. I never thought nor worried about cougars, mountain lions, snakes,bears(a little, we carried bear repellent, and an air horn) much less BF attacking.

* Home and our back yard is looking better by the second.*

The major danger is being hit by a golf ball since we live on a golf course. I can live with that! :(

Sasskeptic has totally terrified me with the truth of how these assorted creatures attack. :(

No no no! That's what I'm expressly trying NOT to do.

Sure it's wise to explore the woods with a partner rather than solo, but other than that, you generally have nothing to fear than a enjoying a relaxing good time when in the great outdoors. Bigfoot is not going to get you, and you'd probably be a lot more likely to accidentally injure yourself with whatever weapons you're carrying along than by any cougar, bear, etc.

Sorry for derail!

I am convinced that younger BF are very comfortable in trees. They don't build up those muscles at the gym.

There is also a lot of food in trees, many of the flowers are nutritious, as well as nuts and fruit. I recently found some fresh scat that was a little bigger that average human, not that I'm an expert on that, and was entirely made up of Hackberry fruit (Celtis occidentalis).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtis_occidentalis

post-9-063652900 1301169703_thumb.jpg

My point is, whatever left the scat had to get the fruit out of the tree, it stays on the tree through the winter.

I have a question about that scat you took a picture of and posted here.

Is that scat really as black as the picture portrays it to be? Did you notice exactly what color the scat was?

In humans, a black stool means blood is in the stool, and tests need to be run to determine the cause of the blood in the stool.

Black color means that the animal is losing blood through it's stomach, throat, or intestines.

It can be a sign of cancer in humans. In a primate such as a BF would be, I suspect the BF ate something that has injured it's stomach, but most likely, injured it's intestines, or it could have cancer somewhere in it's alimentary tract.

No no no! That's what I'm expressly trying NOT to do.

Sure it's wise to explore the woods with a partner rather than solo, but other than that, you generally have nothing to fear than a enjoying a relaxing good time when in the great outdoors. Bigfoot is not going to get you, and you'd probably be a lot more likely to accidentally injure yourself with whatever weapons you're carrying along than by any cougar, bear, etc.

Sorry for derail!

It's okay Sas, You were only being honest. I admit that your realistic post did frighten me. I had not thought about the ways that carnivores can and will attack in the wild. I am always with some or at least one of the competent men in my family. However, You did cause a major adrenalin dump to occur to me earlier. Yikes, That really frightened me.

I will be okay, but thanks to you, I truly will not go searching the woods around here alone ever again, and truly, that is a good thing.

Hubby may come on here, and thank you for your post that actually did get my attention, since I've been ignoring his advice for the past few years. :( I really am pretty helpless in the woods when I stop to think about it *after* reading your enlightening post.

Thanks Sas, You are a sweetie..Hugs to you.. :wub:

I had not thought about the ways that carnivores can and will attack in the wild.

I think that was TooRisky's post, but I still don't think you should fear these carnivores.

I have a question about that scat you took a picture of and posted here.

Is that scat really as black as the picture portrays it to be? Did you notice exactly what color the scat was?

In humans, a black stool means blood is in the stool, and tests need to be run to determine the cause of the blood in the stool.

Black color means that the animal is losing blood through it's stomach, throat, or intestines.

It can be a sign of cancer in humans. In a primate such as a BF would be, I suspect the BF ate something that has injured it's stomach, but most likely, injured it's intestines, or it could have cancer somewhere in it's alimentary tract.

The scat looked to be a day or two old when I found it (WAG here).... still quite soft. It was dried on the outside and was very dark maroon in color. It was made up entirely of Hackberrys. There was another pile about 75 feet down the single lane dirt field road that was the same size and amount. One individual stopped twice would be my guess. I posted the pic because whoever left the scat climbed a Hackberry tree to get that much of the fruit, as it stays on the tree through the winter.

post-9-065318400 1301437259_thumb.jpgpost-9-025769900 1301437804_thumb.jpg

Guest TooRisky

Jeez i am lost and think Susiq's mind is going a million miles an hour trying to scare her self... Jeez step back... read and reread...

This has gone way off topic and maybe time to end it... I for one liked the topic and gained some good insight though I am not convinced of them in tree's past an age/size...

Jeez i am lost and think Susiq's mind is going a million miles an hour trying to scare her self... Jeez step back... read and reread...

This has gone way off topic and maybe time to end it... I for one liked the topic and gained some good insight though I am not convinced of them in tree's past an age/size...

I am *SO* very sorry for going off topic! I truly did not realize that I had once again managed to derail the topic. :blob: Can't we regain the topic?

Yikes, For a lady who has never even had a traffic ticket, nor ever been in trouble a single day of my life, I have managed to cause waves here.

I truly liked the topic also. Next time I'm terrified I will PM the person of whom I need to ask questions of about the situation that frightened me.

Back on topic, Do you think that only the young BF climb and hide in leafy trees? :blush:

I have wondered about that hiding in a tree business since another topic discussed a BF found hiding in a tree earlier this week.

I think that young BF will do so , but adults, who knows for sure?

Whatever works is probably what they would do, IMHO.

Edited by Susiq2

I wonder if hiding in a tree might be something that a mother with a young child might do to protect it in case she may have to engage in a battle? Hide the child, and lure the invaders (hikers/whatever) away from her young..That is just a mother's instinct, human, animals, pretty much all animals do protect their young from predators.

I think that it would make sense that younger bigfoots would spend more time in the trees than larger ones. Another thing that I mentioned that nobody really talked about was the question of weather or not some bigfoot related tree breaks are accidental. Someone said that they are for guidance purposes which I think makes sense, but I wonder how many trees and tree limbs are broken by mistake. With the whole idea of them climbing or trying to climb a tree for one reason or another, it seems like a lot of branches would get broken around the height of their reach.

Kraig

I think that was TooRisky's post, but I still don't think you should fear these carnivores.

Hun, I'm sorry. All is calm and well now. I really appreciate your kind patience.

Back to topic:

I agree that young BF could hide in trees. I had never even considered such a possibility until this past couple of days.

We have some really smart members who know what they are doing with research and understanding the BF species and their habits.

I think that it would make sense that younger bigfoots would spend more time in the trees than larger ones. Another thing that I mentioned that nobody really talked about was the question of weather or not some bigfoot related tree breaks are accidental. Someone said that they are for guidance purposes which I think makes sense, but I wonder how many trees and tree limbs are broken by mistake. With the whole idea of them climbing or trying to climb a tree for one reason or another, it seems like a lot of branches would get broken around the height of their reach.

Kraig

Wow, That's an amazing idea, and possibly spot on! Plus having your young climbing trees for fun and as a safe haven is a good way of entertaining and training your children, so smaller trees would be easy for the younger BF children to climb for safety and just fun and exercise, so in an emergency they can just scamper right on up to safety and await their mother's return, or until it is safe.Thus trees would be bent or broken by "playing" children who are really learning life skills and having fun(hopefully).

Edited by Susiq2

Kraig

Kraig, I believe that you are correct. The kids hide safely in a tree while mom lures or chases the bad people or animals away from her children.I wonder if dad has any thing to do with rearing the children?

Umm id just like to throw this out---

No one needs to worry about cougar attacks, unless cougars are native to the area you live in...(this applies to grizzly bears, black bears, wolves, etc etc ) Susi- I dont believe there are any in KY (cougars anyway- i know there are black bears) but again even if there were- you might go walking your entire life and never see one...

Same applies for other carnivores and BF... probly even X10 factor for BF....

Most animals (including scary carnivores) see humans as more of a threat than they are- and will turn tail and run at the sight of us. Sometimes bears will "woof" at you, even bluff charge- but there has to be a real good reason for them to actually attack you...

I dont claim to be a Daniel Boone type- but ive spent almost my entire youth,teenage years, and a good part of my adulthood in the woods here in upstate NY, and ive only seen bears a few times, lots of deer and other small critters.... There is absoulutely no need to be afraid to walk in the woods, and no need to arm yourself to the teeth when doing so.

I will admit that depending on the time of year, and where im going- i will sometimes slip a pistol in my pocket/backpack.... just in case. The only time i've ever been made to feel afraid by a carnivore- was at night, and by a pack of coyotes/coy-dogs who were running in the woods around myself and a friend and it became obvious as time went on (after we had switched directions several times) that they were hunting & herding us- possibly into an ambush... I'll never know because my friend hauled out his Colt 1911 .45 and started blasting away in the general direction of them.... nuff said they took off lickety split.

As far as BF goes- you need to be careful that you dont start seeing BF in every shadow, and thinking there's one lurking in the woods waiting for you... this will only make journies out into the wild into stressful nervous occasions that you will not enjoy, and it turns BF into the boogey man....

The chances are so slim of you having a sighting or encounter, that even if you WANT it to happen to you, you may go your entire life without achieving it.

If you stay home, or allow yourself to not enjoy spending time in nature, you are truly missing out on one of the better things in life.

Art