• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 JustCurious

JustCurious

Booger

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 11:14 PM

^^LOL, what an odd way of reading what Sailgirl wrote, AaronD.  I also keep track of all the Wisconsin reports, it just means we follow closely what's going on in our home state.

This is more of a "Tales from the Northwoods" comment, but relevant.  When I lived up there as a teenager, we had nothing better to do at night than go joy riding throughout the countryside.  And because we often were up to no good (underage drinking and worse), we often chose the most back country roads we could find.  I know I drove down a road one night that made the guys in the car with me pretty nervous because it was nothing more than a fire lane.  We came to a plank bridge that was so old, we all got out to make sure it was safe to drive over.  We were deep in the woods and the guys said I was going to have to be the one to walk back for help if we fell in, because they weren't walking out. 

That's just an example to indicate where we would go.  In all those drives, I never once saw anything even suggestive of a bigfoot.  On the other hand, someone I went to high school with claims to have seen a bigfoot out where W and 70 meet.  Unfortunately, she was known do drugs, so her testimony is somewhat suspect.

I know a lot of guys up there who hunt year round, and not one has ever seen a bigfoot.  On the other hand, there are lumberjacks up there who live in the woods and only come into town once a week (if that).  I once asked one I knew pretty well if he ever saw bigfoot.  He just looked at me strange and said, "Stay in the woods long enough and you'll see some strange things."  He didn't clarify what he meant by that and to this day I wonder (he's long dead now).

When the BRFO had their expedition up there, people were talking about it because it was a surprise to them that there were bigfoot there.  Yet, they conceded that although they know there are a lot of bears up there, most living there rarely see them, so they accepted maybe it was possible there was something else out there.  Maybe strongly emphasized.

I also know it's a cultural past time to mess with 'city slickers' or worse if you're from Illinois.  The bigger the lie you can tell and get away with, the more points you score.  Shortly after moving up there, I was told about this guy that lived around there who was discovered to have eaten people and made lamp shades out of skin.  I pointed out that they were talking about Ed Gein and that he lived far from there.  I got a lot of that kind of stuff for a while until I became 'one of them' at some point.

I talked to the person who investigated the Rice Lake episode.  I asked if he thought it had been a bigfoot and he said he really didn't know.  By the time he got there, it was a media fiasco.  Once it hit the papers, all kinds of people were out in the woods looking and they had obliterated and obscured any potential evidence making it impossible to properly investigate.

So anyhow, one of these days, I'm going to move back up there way out in the woods and see what I can find.  It's my goal anyhow, because I know just visiting a weekend here and there doesn't allow enough time.

#22 AaronD

AaronD

Sasquatch

• Administrators
  • 6,335 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:00 AM

^^ It was just a question, JustCurious..........call me .... curious ;)

If you MUST drink and drive...drink Fiji water, the most refreshing!

#23 Cotter

Cotter

Sasquatch

• Steering Committee
  • 5,795 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:48 PM

@JC.

Another thing to consider in the northwoods.  there are many illegal dope growing operations in the national forest.  At times, many acres are utilized.

How many folks have seen illegal grow operations up there?  I'd bet folks see more bears than those.

If organic farming is the natural way, shouldn't organic produce just be called "produce" and make the pesticide-laden stuff take the burden of an adjective? ~Terri Guillemets

#24 SAILGIRL

SAILGIRL

Wildman

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:31 PM

Nope....not BFRO....I am not into the large group researching.  I have been into bigfoot since 1985. I did a school paper on the big guy when I was in 9th grade. I read everything I could get my hands on about the subject. No internet then...at least I didn't get a computer until 1996. I had an uncle who had a possible encounter in the late 1970's and he told me there have been stories in the "Blue hills" as he called them. Him being an avid outdoorsmen, I asked him if he ever heard stories, he said "yep" He didn't see one, but had something stalk him in the woods that made alot of noise and grunting loud and shaking trees.  He had a rock thrown at his fishing boat when he was fishing on a small remote lake near Lac Courte Oreilles Indian reservation in the 1970's. He thought it was some kids playing around. That got me more interested as I realized how many sightings and encounters there were in Wisconsin and the upper midwest... I always figured it was only in the Californina, Pacific Northwest, Canada and Alaska.

I also keep track of Upper Michigan and Northern Minnesota as well when I get a chance to read up and do more online searching for reports. I went up to the boundary waters in MN for 4 days and also went to the Munising area. The Seney National Wildlife Refuge has had many reports in the area. I have also done campouts in many remote areas in the western side of WI mainly in Jackson County near Black River Falls.From 2003 to 2007 I did alot of camping and researching. Just not enough time these days as I would like.  

#25 AaronD

AaronD

Sasquatch

• Administrators
  • 6,335 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 07:26 PM

Plus 1 SAIL GIRL, for an interesting post. I had a similar encounter as your uncle, only it was here in PA in the late 90's. Bipedal thrashing in the bushes alongside the road, followed me 8 miles one night; throwing pebbles at the road ahead of me......and grunting as well. Fascinating stuff! If you can dig up your 9th grade school paper I'm sure we'd all love to read it.

If you MUST drink and drive...drink Fiji water, the most refreshing!

#26 JustCurious

JustCurious

Booger

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:30 PM

I know AaronD, but I'm just curious. :derisive:

Some friends of mine own the Nine Mile Tavern & Canoe Rental on Hwy 70 and a few years ago, we went canoeing from there.  I did ask Herb, the owner if anyone ever told him they saw bigfoot and he was quick to say no (and informed me there's no such thing).  I will keep checking back with them because I'd think someday someone should see one there.  I regret that I think my canoeing days are over and now I think that would be the best way to check things out up there.  There are many, many little creeks that flow into and out of the Flambeau that I would go down checking for sign.

Cotter, even as a teenager, I was appalled at the drug problem in the high school up there.  I've heard of growing operations in the PNW, but not so much in Wisconsin (at least not that far north).

#27 Cotter

Cotter

Sasquatch

• Steering Committee
  • 5,795 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:47 AM

It's a rising issue in northern WI.  Be careful

If organic farming is the natural way, shouldn't organic produce just be called "produce" and make the pesticide-laden stuff take the burden of an adjective? ~Terri Guillemets

#28 papabiggie

papabiggie

Booger

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:02 PM

I would second that. A group of Mexican drug lord types were busted in Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest not too long ago.

Someone stated there was a sighting near FonduLac. How long ago was that?

#29 salubrious

salubrious

Yeti

• Moderators
  • 2,135 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:11 PM

There are also sightings near Danbury and also further south along the river.

A friend has a cabin near Alma, WI and we've had several encounters (no sightings as yet); rock clacks, very powerful wood knocks, trackways (16" prints) and structures (heavy 6"-8" dia. oak branches in tepee formations where no oak was present, so it was not the wind, where the oak branches were torn, not cut).

#30 Northern Lights

Northern Lights

Wildman

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 03:38 PM

^^

If you read some of Maggie's posts, she has had encounters near Alma as well.  Other side of the river though. 

Edited by AaronD, 10 December 2013 - 05:36 PM.
removed quote of previous post

#31 salubrious

salubrious

Yeti

• Moderators
  • 2,135 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 03:47 PM

^^ yes, I've been active on that thread.

So it appears that WI has an active population.

I also keep track of Upper Michigan and Northern Minnesota as well when I get a chance to read up and do more online searching for reports. I went up to the boundary waters in MN for 4 days and also went to the Munising area. The Seney National Wildlife Refuge has had many reports in the area. I have also done campouts in many remote areas in the western side of WI mainly in Jackson County near Black River Falls.From 2003 to 2007 I did alot of camping and researching. Just not enough time these days as I would like.  

It seems that the northern part of the state is hot well into Minnesota. The thing I have wanted to sort out is are they local or migratory? So right now could be a good time to get out and see- trackways will be easy to spot with all this snow...

#32 JustCurious

JustCurious

Booger

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:10 PM

You know, that's an age old question - do they migrate?  I've studied on the subject over the years and the question is why do they migrate if in fact that's what is going on?  I don't think there is a great bigfoot nesting ground anywhere, so I don't think that would be a reason for migration.  If in fact they can eat just about anything as indicated by reports, I don't think their food sources dry up in any particular season, so that shouldn't be a reason.  The one thing I CAN come up with is water sources.  I don't think they necessarily migrate so much as possibly move to wherever there is still flowing water within their area during the winter months.  But who knows...

salubrious, I know I should probably post this in your sighting thread, but I'll transgress and say it here.  Could you tell whether the two Sasquatch you saw were male or female?  One explanation I thought of is childbirth.  While a squat position would seem more likely, we don't know anatomically what might work for them.  It could explain not moving and trembling behaviors.  And I once had 2 cats pregnant at the same time and when one cat saw the other delivering, she went off and starting having her own.  For wild animals, I could see where this might be beneficial in case anything happened to one or the other mother, survival potential is increased by having a surrogate at hand.  We'll never know in your case, but it's just a thought.

#33 JustCurious

JustCurious

Booger

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:34 PM

Oh, and I also was wondering if there were other reports from Danbury besides Dennis Murphy's? 

#34 salubrious

salubrious

Yeti

• Moderators
  • 2,135 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:28 AM

Yes, but not on the BFRO. I have a friend who lives near there and she has been collecting sightings.

Regarding my encounter, I did not get any gender information. A hiway seems an odd place for something like that though.

I think it may not be so much migration as it might be that an area may become depleted of game after a while. Once the game knows its dinner, it has a way of vacating the premises :)

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users