The Upside Down Tree

Actually they said that unit was logged in the early 90's, which looks about right for the size of the new growth. That's also about the same time period that I witnessed an operator do the same thing. That was a logged unit there in the video too. Up in Alaska they are also still cutting old growth then so they've got some really big machinery, more then sufficient to pile drive what we see there. They would need to bring in an extension ladder and look at the top of the roots to see what marks might be there. They did mention marks on the cedars but didn't elaborate as to what kind of marks they found. Kind of selective on the evidence here by them when they don't comment or investigate the tops. How did they know how deep they were planted too?

I think this is just another example of the fun loggers have. I know that in my case he even took time to sharpen the point to make it easier to shove into the ground. Really, this is the kind of evidence that just has alternate explanations before running with bigfoot first. Nobody saw it happen, well except for the loggers. smile.gif

As for the 40 yr old legend, could he have been embellishing a bit to better his case? Bigfoot does have this affect on people.

Sorry to be such a party pooper. tongue.gif

Edited by PragmaticTheorist

Guest vilnoori

I think "the AK thing" is the Prince of Wales Island, AK, Klawock Lake trees, two of them (or three?), full size, that have been claimed by the tribe thereabouts to have been placed there before the early 1940's by a big daddy sasquatch many years ago:

invertedtreesasqsign2.jpg

invertedtreesasqsign.th.jpg

Edited by vilnoori

Guest vilnoori

Hmm can't seem to edit the images, maybe someone can do it for me...so they are not so huge, the second so small...

I will try to find the provenance on the pre-1940's part of the story.

All I can say is if it was squatch related, it would take more than one to do that, I would think. I'll keep my eyes peeled for inverted trees.....hoping I don't ever see one.

When I first saw that picture in the book, I thought, what in the world would they do that for and then realized how much strength it took to actually put it in the ground. YIKES!!!

Vilnoori, is that your book with the photos? If so do you have a loupe or magnifying glass? The reason I ask is I'm seeing a lot of finer roots and other fine filaments hanging from the root ball that don't seem indicative of being placed there 40 years ago. Even cedar would deteriorate significantly under those conditions. In addition the broken stubbed main roots support what a loader would do to it when it grabs hold. Most importantly, I'm wondering if there is mud still adhering to the root ball. If so, well I'm just a killjoy once again. sad.gif

Guest ChrisBFRPKY

NDT, I remember reading somewhere about several upside down trees being suspect for creature related activity. Then later, a backhoe operator admitted to placing the trees like that while just messing around one day. So, I dunno? If more upside down trees are showing up in different places, It'd be a stretch to think some guy with a backhoe was traveling around doing it for kicks. I've not seen that type of thing in KY so far. But again, who knows? It could be a regional thing? I may run into an upside down tree tomorrow. :lol: Chris B.

It's just something they like to do Chris. Honestly. Heck, its easy enough to as a few veteran logging operators. Anybody know anyone? I do but it would be good to hear it from different regions. There are no borders on the creativity of what I'll call a fun thing to do by equipment operators. The backhoe operator is just one more example.

Like most everything monkee related, it's impossible to verify one's position either way and just leads to more guesses. Tell you what though, I would really like to examine one of these sites first hand...

Guest vilnoori

I can look closer at the images with my image viewer. The one looks quite worn, with few rootlets, the other has more rootlets showing. I can't tell if there is soil or not. The captions says Al Jackson is pictured with the second image, both taken in 1999. When was the logging done? The logs are placed in muskeg at the head of a lake, a bit far from a road so I am not sure if power machinery could be taken to that area. You loggers would be able to tell me that better.

Guest TooRisky

I have been talking to a friend of mine who puts in the dirt roads for the logging crews... I explained to him what has been seen and he broke out in a gut busting laugh... He says that those "up-side down" planted trees are what they do when making the road to mark marshy areas that the equipment (trucks, cats, skidders) should be aware of...

I thought it was pretty much impossible for a Sasquatch no matter its size to up-root a tree and then with force plant it into the ground in an inverted state.... OK so the mystery is solved and we can put this to bed as a subject that had us all scratching our heads for quite some time...

Oh and he also said that they put big boulder type rocks on stumps also, I have seen this my self... The reason, well to get a reaction from people like me... LOL entertainment of sorts by the logging community... sheesh...

Lol, well I hope you told him that there was at least one person who knew better. tongue.gif

Yeah, the upside down thing is pretty common, didn't know one of the reasons was to warn people tho. Knew that they did it just to mess with people tho.

I bet he's still chuckling at ya. rolleyes.gif

Edited by PragmaticTheorist

I have been talking to a friend of mine who puts in the dirt roads for the logging crews... I explained to him what has been seen and he broke out in a gut busting laugh... He says that those "up-side down" planted trees are what they do when making the road to mark marshy areas that the equipment (trucks, cats, skidders) should be aware of...

I thought it was pretty much impossible for a Sasquatch no matter its size to up-root a tree and then with force plant it into the ground in an inverted state.... OK so the mystery is solved and we can put this to bed as a subject that had us all scratching our heads for quite some time...

Oh and he also said that they put big boulder type rocks on stumps also, I have seen this my self... The reason, well to get a reaction from people like me... LOL entertainment of sorts by the logging community... sheesh...

Someone who lives in the area of the BFRO report should go take a snoop there (I think it was located precisely enough to find) and see if the tree is near a marshy or soft spot that wouldn't support logging equipment.

Someone who lives in the area of the BFRO report should go take a snoop there (I think it was located precisely enough to find) and see if the tree is near a marshy or soft spot that wouldn't support logging equipment.

I wouldn't think that a marsh is the reason for that one NDT. That one is likely just for fun to give some unsuspecting person who stumbles upon it a mystery. The Fir saplings appear rather evenly spaced through there plus it looks like there is some slope too, which wouldn't be a sign of marsh. Normally tree planters will avoid boggy areas because it is not at all conducive to Douglas Fir growth, they'll just rot.

For that matter, even the "possible impression" noted in the photo below it is simply a product of hillside erosion that left a shape along the edge of small woody debris. Like an actual footprint is going to make the wood underneath it disappear into the shape of a foot. This is the kind of stuff that I can't help but chuckle at. Funny how the imagination can be so convincing for some. Not every strange thing or pattern out there is caused by bigfoot. Mother Nature can be quite creative herself. Look at the rainbow for instance.