• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 norseman

norseman

Bigfoot

• Steering Committee
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:10 AM

We have thousands of class A sightings correct?

How many of us own a pistol from .357 on up? Not asking anyone to go beat the bush with camo and deer urine rubbed on them.

Just carry a pistol on your person at all times along with a sharp tool, garbage bag, a flashlight and a GPS. Make sure to follow local and state gun laws.

Who knows what may cross your path driving to work or a late night run to the convenience store!

My new public message is, Stop! Drop! Chop!

Wallah! Congrats! You now have one of the most important type specimens in the history of mankind!
www.projectgrendel.com

#2 BobbyO

BobbyO

Sasquatch

• Steering Committee
  • 5,493 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:15 AM

You'd be a brave man to drop an upright walking " what is it ? " in North America given that Bubba could be waiting for you in the jail.

A seasoned hunter with a clear unobstructed visual and he's happy with the firepower in his hand = No problem.

Average Joe getting spooked by something in the tree's that is on two legs = Potentially serious problems.
It's one thing being obsessed by something, it's another thing entirely and bordering on lunacy to spend big portions of time obsessing over trying to disprove that same something to people who have seen that something, on a Website deidcated to that something. - Bobbyo

Keep the Forum alive, register as a premium member to ensure that by clicking here.

#3 Sunflower

Sunflower

Yowie

• Members
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:41 AM

Apparently you missed reading the reports when a hunter does have one in his/her scope and will not pull the trigger. It becomes obvious because he/she can not identify what they were looking at and chose to back off after realizing how human looking and BIG it is......... 

There are reports of "seasoned hunters" putting away their guns and never going back into the woods after such an episode so there's that.....

A bing search will bring up many reports. 

#4 norseman

norseman

Bigfoot

• Steering Committee
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:47 AM

Sunflower,

Absolutely! But this forum is not a forum of deer and bear hunters......we would know exactly what we were looking at!

And for those of us that desperately want closure to this mystery? There is only one logical course of action to follow.
www.projectgrendel.com

#5 Terry

Terry

Bukwas

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:50 AM

What if something that looks like that crosses your path, you shoot to kill and there's no such thing as bf?  Have fun in court when your defence is "I thought it was a Sasquatch".

t.

Sometimes I think bigfoot is just one big conspiracy and everyone's in on it but me.

#6 norseman

norseman

Bigfoot

• Steering Committee
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:22 AM

Firearm safety 101: be sure of your target.

How many people get shot on hunting trips each year? Why would shooting at what you thought was a bigfoot be any different? It's not!
www.projectgrendel.com

#7 hiflier

hiflier

Yeti

• Sésquac
  • 2,436 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:32 AM

Hello Norseman,

Hmmm. Seems to me I remember someone......now lemme see......it right on the edge of my brain.......uhhhh.........OH YEAH! V.P. Cheney shot a fellow hunter. That's it..........yeah I thought it was somebody famous. ;)

"Honey....before you get us all another round of drinks, show them your frozen Sasquatch turd, why dontcha?"- by WSA in the "NAWAC- Field Study Discussion" thread, page 20, post #382

"To make claims without presenting evidence is assassinating one's own character, IMO"- by See-Teh-Cah in the "NAWAC- Field Study Discussion" thread, page 97, post #1924

"You know the old saying "In for a penny, in for a pound"? Well, do the math: For the Tar Pit it's "In for a twenty, in for a TON"!!- by hiflier......uh.....somewhere in the Tar Pit

#8 NDT

NDT

Wildman

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 01:55 PM

But Hiflier, Cheney's was a bird hunting group accident, not him shooting at the guy mistaking him for the target species.   Primarily a problem of keeping a line and keeping track of where the others in the group are, combine that with a low flushing/flying bird like quail and you have the potential for a bird hunting accident.   The type of accident Cheney was involved in is fairly common and the primary reason I don't hunt upland with more than one other hunter and never hunt with more than 4 shooters including myself when field hunting geese, even though with field blinds keeping the muzzles even & safe spacing isn't an issue...

Whatever has been seen, cannot be un-seen...

#9 Terry

Terry

Bukwas

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 02:08 PM

Why would shooting at what you thought was a bigfoot be any different? It's not!

Well, it there's no such thing as a sasquatch but you thought you saw one, (my scenario), what would you have shot and killed and what would be your excuse?  

t.

Edited by Terry, 03 March 2014 - 02:10 PM.

Sometimes I think bigfoot is just one big conspiracy and everyone's in on it but me.

#10 norseman

norseman

Bigfoot

• Steering Committee
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 02:42 PM

What I am getting at is that there is no excuse.

If you were hunting for deer and shot a human? Your looking at the minimum of manslaughter......if convicted.

Does that answer your hypothetical scenario?
www.projectgrendel.com

#11 Terry

Terry

Bukwas

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:09 PM

What I am getting at is that there is no excuse.

If you were hunting for deer and shot a human? Your looking at the minimum of manslaughter......if convicted.

Does that answer your hypothetical scenario?

Yep, gotcha.  (I think though you'd be easier dealt with by the law  if you said in court you thought it was a deer during the deer hunt as opposed to, your honour, I thought it

was a sasquatch.)  

t. 

#12 norseman

norseman

Bigfoot

• Steering Committee
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:13 PM

No way......

With squatch you can plead insanity;)
www.projectgrendel.com

#13 Terry

Terry

Bukwas

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:28 PM

^

You're right!  :-)

t.

#14 JiggyPotamus

JiggyPotamus

Chiye-tanka

• Members
  • 973 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:13 PM

We do a lot of hunting where I come from, and were always taught to respect guns first and foremost, and were also taught not to even level your gun at something unless you know what it is, and you are certain you are going to shoot it. I don't know if you were actually being serious, but even if you weren't, this is a topic that should be addressed, because there are likely individuals out there who think such a course of action would be best for proving the species.

I would think, or hope really, that the majority of people who own a gun, and especially those who are licensed to concealed carry, would not just shoot something that they could not identify. I wouldn't think that it would be a person in a suit or something, and that I would be running the risk of shooting someone, although the possibility is still there...I just don't think the probability is very high for something like that. But mainly I would be hesitant because of the human qualities of the animal.

I definitely believe in collecting a type specimen, although I would not be the one to do it, because I realize that there is much, much more involved than just shooting the animal. I do not want to see it done willy-nilly by just anyone. I want to see it done by a person who has resolved themselves to the task, and who has made the proper arrangements for such a big thing. The arrangements would include a way to actually transport the body, which could be a tall order in thick woods, especially in the middle of nowhere in terrain that is not accessible to vehicles, and a plan for what to do with the body.

Having someone beforehand that would be willing to analyze the body for authenticity is a must. There are just so many things that could happen, and there are different ways to present the body to the world, and not all of them would be good in my opinion. The one thing that you wouldn't want to happen is to even allow for the chance of any government department confiscating the body, and leaving you with nothing to prove your story. You could take pictures, maybe some hair or something, but as we already know, that is not enough to prove the existence of the species. Even DNA is not enough, considering we don't know what it came from and it is unknown. It will take a body for sure, although unknown DNA bolsters the case and the story.

So documentation by a professional is a must. And I would be willing to bet that a person who just happens to shoot a bigfoot during a hike or something would first contact the rangers, or the government. Maybe they wouldn't cover the story up, but I wouldn't want to run that risk. Then there is definitely the risk of prosecution, but maybe they wouldn't file charges. But I can guarantee that the shooter would be vilified by a portion of the population.

I guess my main point is that I don't want to see it done this way, without a plan. And I don't want someone out there with a small caliber rifle or pistol shooting at a large animal like bigfoot, because the chances of wounding the animal are great. I don't like to see anything suffer, even if I was hunting it. But I don't hunt anymore, mainly because I decided I don't like killing things for sport. If I needed to kill an animal to eat, then I would, but that is not the case for most in today's society. It is mainly sport, even if the meat is eaten. But that is beside the point I guess.

There are just too many unknowns, and too much potential for error, if there were a lot of people who were walking the forests armed, and who were willing to shoot at something they thought was a bigfoot. When you have hunters out hunting a specific animal, a known animal, there are not going to be that many incidents of people getting shot by mistake...but it still happens. So if people were out with the intention of shooting a bipedal creature, I can only assume that such mistakes would be made more often, since sasquatch looks way more like a human than a bear or deer. Or squirrel. Well, I don't know. Someone probably could confuse a squirrel and a bigfoot, lol. I bet there is at least one person out there. Maybe when the squirrel stands up on its back legs, holding a nut in its hand. Someone sees that, thinks its bipedal, and just lets loose. Or they say, "He's got something in his hand," and fire before the squirrel can utilize whatever it is holding...which of course could be a gun. You never know.

#15 norseman

norseman

Bigfoot

• Steering Committee
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:02 AM

Jiggy,

To address some of your points,

1) I am serious.
2) I have confidence that the people who own pistols and could pull this off, can discern between a monkey suit and a Sasquatch at close range.
3) packing the whole body out is not necessary. Hence the sharp instrument.
4) there is inherent risk in just about everything we do in life. If this is not a risk someone is willing to take? So be it.
5) I have been waiting all my life for a expert to prove this creature real. It does not take a expert to have a random encounter and capitalize on it. The more people who listen to reason and prepare themselves for a random encounter, the odds go way up in our favor.
6) once a type specimen is procured, call Jeff meldrum, drive to your local university and ask for the biology dept. It really is that simple. Just make sure you leave the kill site with tangible evidence!!!
www.projectgrendel.com

#16 ItsAsquatch

ItsAsquatch

Bukwas

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:01 PM

I dont think they travel alone Norse so be careful you might have another booger jump out on ya.. That said, i hope you succeed

#17 norseman

norseman

Bigfoot

• Steering Committee
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:11 PM

I dont think they travel alone Norse so be careful you might have another booger jump out on ya.. That said, i hope you succeed

Project Grendel is way more organized and loaded for bear than what I am proposing above. But we are few and you are many!:)

I'd suggest for the "stop, drop and chop" guy or gal? If it isn't laying in the bar ditch? Call for back up!
www.projectgrendel.com

#18 Hammer102492

Hammer102492

Chiye-tanka

• Sésquac
  • 889 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:13 AM

From my experience, anything that I have done that brings on what I believe to be a BF experience, always comes when I am peaceful and in tune with nature.  Carrying a firearm I believe will have the opposite effect, ergo, no BF will come around. 

Can't prove nothin' there, it's just my experience / opinion.

Don't want to bag one anyway.  Peace is the word. 

I don't even like playing the lottery, because it can ruin your life.  I'll be happier poor. 

Help me, sweet Jesus, I'm weary from the journey.  I need to tell my brothers what I saw.  Help me now, I got to slow down, Hear my singing call.  (Stephen Stills - Singin' Call)

I've overcome the blow, I've learned to take it well, I only wish my words, Could just convince myself
That it just wasn't real, But that's not the way it feels
. (Jim Croce - Operator)

#19 MIB

MIB

Oh Mah

• Members
  • 694 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:30 AM

Hammer -

No, it's not the firearms, it's the intent / mind behind 'em.  I don't know how but the results speak for themselves.  

I've been "ninja-ed" when I was deer hunting.  I was out to kill, not sniff flowers.  Somehow they seem to know the difference between intent to kill THEM and intent to kill something else.   This raises a lot of questions centered around "what do they know, and how?"  *Not having answers doesn't nullify the questions*.

I've been followed when I was fishing and backpacking with a very visible handgun.  

MIB