Panic Attack In The Woods Is Not Evidence Of Bf Presence

Explorer

Guest Divergent1

If the bigfoot urinates on the ground and you walk right up in it unknowingly it really wouldn't matter if you were upwind or downwind.

Edited by Divergent1

I have read in past BFF posts that some people who are hiking in the woods suddenly experience an anxiety/panic attack and run towards their vehicle or campsite or until they exit an area (or zone) deemed spooky or threatening. These zones have been called “death zones†in previous posts. These experiencers did not see a BF, but were speculating that it could have been because the hiking area was squatchy.

I think even the original posters will agree that panic attacks in the woods (even squatchy woods) is not evidence of BF presence. The mystery of panic attacks in the woods is not new and has been written about before without any conclusion on its causation (whether psychological or attributed to environmental/external factors). An article that documented this mystery and used stories from Europe is titled the “The Landscapes of Panic†by Patrick Harpur (from 2001). See link below.

https://www.scribd.com/doc/236245366/Landscape-of-Panic-FT141-Patrick-Harpur

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/mythfolk/conversations/topics/902

I find it interesting that some panic attacks in the woods appear suddenly with no obvious or seen external causation. I understand why some people want to attribute this panic and anxiety sensation to infra-sound from BF, but that is not the case in those European cases mentioned by Harpur where there has was never a claim of BF presence.

The mystery of panic attacks in the woods is itself an interesting topic (without the need for BF presence). Has anybody done research on this area? How common is this phenomenon and what are the prevailing explanations for the panic? Are all panic attacks in the woods the same or are there many flavors?

With regard to the relevance to BF research, we could ask those who claimed to have encountered a BF, how many had a panic attack and ran instead of just being frozen with fear or just reacted normally to an unknown encounter? How common is a panic attack with those who encounter a BF? Based on the cases that I have read, it appears to me that eyewitness experience fear, and the flight (not fight) reaction (especially with close encounters), but I would not call that panic.

Panic defined as: a sudden overpowering fright; also: acute extreme anxiety. b : a sudden unreasoning terror often accompanied by mass flight).

I am case "A" in this thread.  Spent the first 22 years of my life in NC playing in the woods with never a care in the world.  Copperheads and Water Moccasins were the only animals that I knew that could hurt me in my domain.  I was the typical arrogant kid that could not be harmed.  One cold winter day walking with my very big, very mean and aggressive Siberian Husky in snowy swampy woods in NJ a half a mile from my condo, I experience panic for the first time in my life. I turn and run for my life back to my condo for 1-2 minutes before my engineer brain asks me why the hell am I running.  I collect myself and call it a day and head home with the experience seared in my brain.  5+ Years later and living in to a another part of NJ I run in to a BF in a state park.  4+ years after that I run in to another one back in NC.  Over the years I have tried to pull together a handful of weirdness and experiences in my life and they all tie back to BF.  Is panic in woods evidence of BF, of course not.  Is the over whelming evidence of BF by 100s if not 1,000s of people like me evidence of BF, absolutely.  You could convict on the death penalty with a lot less evidence than exists for the evidence of BF.

BTW, I saw a report that human brains similar to other animals like deer, can via chemical sense pick up on the panic of other humans and possibly react with something like panic.  Not sure how it applied to my case as there was no other humans or even animals around that I could see.  

(PS - NJ is a very weird state and if you don't know it please put away your prejudice.   The location while in the middle of an urban state ~40 miles from NYC and within 600-1000 yards to probably 1,000 condos is as remote from US civilization as you can ever imagine.  Look up the dismal swamp and I dare you to walk there at night)   

• Upvote 1

Guest JiggyPotamus

Great write-up Explorer. Even hardcore believers have got to use their objectivity where things like this are concerned. If there is no direct cause for the panic attack, one must assume that the attack is coming from where all other attacks come from, internally. Think about it like this: if one is going to attribute their attack to a bigfoot, then they likely had bigfoot on their mind while in the woods. So doesn't it make just as much sense that the thought of bigfoot triggered a panic attack? While we're at it, we could just say that Treebeard caused the panic attack, since the woods are full of trees.

I used to have panic attacks all the time, and in fact had really horrible anxiety. I could not leave the house much of the time it was so bad. I know exactly what a panic attack feel likes, and I know that it is coming on even before it arrives. It washes over me in this wave, but it is hard to describe. Anyway, often times there would be no direct cause. I used to expect such attacks if I put myself in positions that my mind was uncomfortable with, but they would even occur at home, when nobody else was around. So there is definitely some internal mechanism at play, and there need not be any direct causation for a panic attack. And it doesn't always have to be a panic attack. I've had lesser attacks, where they don't generate a full-blown attack, although it is definitely evident that "something" has changed. So these feelings, these strange feelings, can be generated from within.

To introduce sasquatch into the mix is unnecessary. What some of you might  be thinking is that what I say makes sense, but that for a person who never has panic attacks to suddenly have a panic attack in the middle of the woods is quite odd, and implies some external causation. But this need not be the case if the person is scared of anything in the woods. If they are thinking about bigfoot, and any part of them would be nervous at the thought of seeing one of these animals, that is enough to potentially trigger a panic attack in my opinion. Or at least some very small change in the person's overall "feelings."

It is definitely true that being watched can cause one to feel strangely. People can "feel" others watching them, or some people can, and I think this has been scientifically tested. I think I've mentioned before about this time I was reading a military sniper's manual, and it actually mentioned that the sniper should not look directly at the target before they go to take the shot. Or that they should not stare at the target through their scope, but instead should look at them kind of through the periphery. Something like that anyway, because it said that some people can feel when they're being watched.

Having had a few strange encounters over the years, one with bigfoot and a few others that would be termed "paranormal," I have felt this feeling, when the hair stands up on the back of your neck. I have never felt this feeling at any other times, but only accompanying such strange encounters. I imagine that many people who have not felt this feeling will not be able to understand just how prevalent and weird it is. That would be a better gauge than a panic attack imo. That feeling can happen to a person only once in their life, or maybe it will never happen. Many people will not have panic attacks either, or maybe only a few times in their lives. So what does it mean when such a person has that attack in the middle of the woods? Does it not imply some outside causation? Yes and no. It implies that something strange is happening, whether it be internally or externally, but it does not definitively have any connection with bigfoot. Even though it could have such a connection, there is not enough evidence to establish it as fact, even subjectively. And I think those who attribute it to sasquatch without any other evidence are falling into a mental trap, and that they should be a little more objective.

Far stretch to blame any kind of panic attack on the presence of a creature that may or may not exist. Infrasound can cause possible feelings of panic, fear and dread, proven in a few different studies. The possible causes for infrasound are numerous, air flow across mountains, through trees, large cats, seismic activity, man made equipment, mining and diesel engines. I don't care how far or deep in the woods you are or how experienced a "woodsman" you are, it's possible anyone can experience it but the root cause or explanation should not include a mythical creature as a probable cause until it can be proved or at the very least documented as a pattern of sightings.

NCBRR...copy that about N.J.  I spent some of my formative boyhood (6th-12th grade) years in Hunterdon County, and know there are some pretty rural stretches most people don't know about. My first adventures were on the AT between High Point and the Water Gap, and one of my sisters married into a family from Sewell...so I know that end of the state as well.  It is a state of many surprises. BF? Why the hell not?

What you describe was exactly what I experienced for the first time after 30 plus years of seeking out wild places, sleeping out solo, not seeing another human for days,etc. That feeling does give a body pause, doesn't it?

Far stretch to blame any kind of panic attack on the presence of a creature that may or may not exist. Infrasound can cause possible feelings of panic, fear and dread, proven in a few different studies. The possible causes for infrasound are numerous, air flow across mountains, through trees, large cats, seismic activity, man made equipment, mining and diesel engines. I don't care how far or deep in the woods you are or how experienced a "woodsman" you are, it's possible anyone can experience it but the root cause or explanation should not include a mythical creature as a probable cause until it can be proved or at the very least documented as a pattern of sightings.

Have there been any documented cases of infra sound induced panic attacks caused by anything you listed?

Seems like we should have people freaking out on a daily basis. 

And how come one can't include an unknown as a possible explanation?  Denial isn't science based, no?

If you like, I can provide a list of 'unknowns' that were considered as an explanation in scientific discovery, and then later proven to be real.

Edited by Cotter
  • Upvote 2

Have there been any documented cases of infra sound induced panic attacks caused by anything you listed?

Seems like we should have people freaking out on a daily basis. 

And how come one can't include an unknown as a possible explanation?  Denial isn't science based, no?

If you like, I can provide a list of 'unknowns' that were considered as an explanation in scientific discovery, and then later proven to be real.

Excellent points.

NCBRR...copy that about N.J.  I spent some of my formative boyhood (6th-12th grade) years in Hunterdon County, and know there are some pretty rural stretches most people don't know about. My first adventures were on the AT between High Point and the Water Gap, and one of my sisters married into a family from Sewell...so I know that end of the state as well.  It is a state of many surprises. BF? Why the hell not?

What you describe was exactly what I experienced for the first time after 30 plus years of seeking out wild places, sleeping out solo, not seeing another human for days,etc. That feeling does give a body pause, doesn't it?

My first real encounter was on the SW side of Round Valley Reservoir.  I jogged the trails of it every weekend in the winter with my huskies.  I loved that place.

I once heard a siren start as I stood by the highway on the edge of a large salt marsh on a drive to Cape May.  Then it quavered and...that's an animal.  Have never heard anything close.  But many have heard something similar.  Sounded like an animal to them too; and in some of those cases they also saw the one we are talking about here.

Guest Divergent1

If scent marking isn't an ape characteristic then why do redneck men pee in their own yards rather than going back into the house to use the restroom? If bigfoot exists why would he not do the same? I imagine a bigfoot would have some stout pheromones.

I pee back there 'coz that's where the stars are and real men don't need toilets.  Then there's all the guys with guns I get to watch sneak up to my property line; sniff the air...and quietly slink away...