• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 Sasfooty

Sasfooty

Yeti

• Members
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 12:49 PM

Maybe they kill turkeys by knocking them off their roosts with rocks. They might even kill them in the daytime with rocks. I've noticed that some of them are very accurate rock throwers.

Those who dance are considered insane by those who cannot hear the music.

It's better to walk alone than with a crowd going in the wrong direction.

Please note that anything I post is likely to be "IMO" & not subject to being offered up with proof.

http://soundcloud.com/sasfooty

#22 tracker

tracker

Yowie

• Inactive
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 03:10 PM

Actually , I did shoot 1 minute and 2 seconds of blobby video. My little Jazz pocket camcorder was zoomed in beyond it's ability to record decent images. Chris B.

How do you like your jazz Chris ? I got one too, mines crap. what a waste of cash. Posted Image
"tracker,you make it look so easy! HOW do you get them on video?Are they just use to you being around?"par5sn2

Finding Sasquatch

#23 ChrisBFRPKY

ChrisBFRPKY

Bigfoot

• Members
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 03:30 PM

Tracker, the little Jazz pocket camcorders are pretty good for recording audio, but the video feature is terrible. It's handy though, and will easily fit in a pocket but quality video cannot be had. They're better than drawing a picture I guess, but not much.

I use my little Jazz camcorders for audio only now. I use a Sony for video. It shoots 1080 HD. Now that Sony is a cam. Now all I have to do is to get Big Hairy to pose for me.
Chris B.

Chris Bennett
Squatchdetective Radio Thursday Nights 8 PM EST
Bigfoot Research Project of Kentucky
BFRPKY.com
BigfootResearchProject.com

#24 herosmom

herosmom

Wildman

• Inactive
  • 125 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 09:12 PM

The BF I saw was flapping it's arms against it's own sides like it was cold-kind of like an impatient child would do. Thought that would be an interesting detail for this thread.

#25 BuzzardEater

BuzzardEater

Bukwas

• Inactive
  • 401 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 02:42 AM

The BF I saw was flapping it's arms against it's own sides like it was cold-kind of like an impatient child would do. Thought that would be an interesting detail for this thread.

Perhaps he was trying to fly? These BFs aren't very smart, you know.

Edited by BuzzardEater, 07 May 2011 - 02:43 AM.

Threads are like hybrid cars, they run out of gas long before they stop.

#26 grayjay

grayjay

Yeti

• Banned
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 09:14 AM

Cool observation, what did you think about it? If it wasn't cold out I'd be really curious... :)

#27 James

James

Bukwas

• Inactive
  • 261 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 03:06 PM

I thought I would point out that, unlike carnivores which can make their own Vit C, primates like us have to find sources of Vit C. Sasquatch are living in non-tropical environments... they have to find Vit C somewhere since there aren't orange trees and bell peppers growing in vast wilderness of the Pacific Northwest. My guess is that pines are a convenient source of this vital nutrient.

#28 ChrisBFRPKY

ChrisBFRPKY

Bigfoot

• Members
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 11:47 PM

Thanks herosmom! That's interesting to note. I've noticed my 6 year old does that when he's frustrated. Was the creature flapping it's arms against it's side repeatedly? Was it cold out during the sighting? I'm very curious to hear more. Again, thanks for sharing with us.

James, I did find that pine bark has vitamin C. It's very possible the creature was using it as a supplement? I know I'd rather find something besides pine bark for dinner if it were me.
Chris B.

Chris Bennett
BFRPKY.com

#29 grayjay

grayjay

Yeti

• Banned
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 07:41 AM

Chris They've been observed eaing root's, leaves, sedges ect..it's possible their taste buds are less delicate than ours and pine bark isn't as offensive to them? I'd like to think so anyway!! :) :) :)

#30 Sunflower

Sunflower

Yowie

• Members
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 08:23 AM

A few years ago I heard a researcher repeat a story of a female slapping her thigh to get the attention of a little one. Mom hairy person was doing exactly like us and find that account perfectly believable because I've done that to get the attention of my son as well as my dog. :lol:

#31 ChrisBFRPKY

ChrisBFRPKY

Bigfoot

• Members
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 12:47 AM

Grayjay, you may have a point. The creature looked like it was enjoying the bark as if it were very delicious.

Sunflower, that's an interesting point. The one that Herosmom saw may have been trying to attract attention. I am a firm believer that if you are in the woods and you hear a stick snap or notice some sort of commotion that draws your attention to a creature, there's a very good chance there's one or more closer to you than the one you are now looking at. IMO Chris B.

Chris Bennett
BFRPKY.com

#32 wudewasa

wudewasa

Yowie

• Inactive
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 06:14 AM

There's been alot of speculation about what the creatures eat. I too suspect they eat deer and turkey as well as some plants/berries and nuts, but the only thing I know for sure from my encounter is that they do eat bark from pine trees. It's in my personal notes under "Facts", although I can't prove this as scientific fact, I thought I'd share it for comparison. Chris B.

Here is a list a pine tree species native to KY: http://www.ehow.com/...e-kentucky.html

#33 ChrisBFRPKY

ChrisBFRPKY

Bigfoot

• Members
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 06:39 AM

Thanks Wudewasa, I guess the pines around here would be classified as the short-leaf pine species. We call them yellow pines locally. I do see some of the other longer leaf pines mentioned at the link but they're not as abundant as the yellow pine here in south Central Ky. Those are normally cut at about 6' to 8' and used for Christmas trees in this area. The yellow pines are normally left to mature and used for lumber.

We have alot of nut trees as well. Walnut and hickory trees are thick in this area. There are also several other species of nut trees and hardwoods that are very common. It is my expectation to see a creature happily munching on a handful of nuts at some point in time, but so far that hasn't happened yet.

One thing that the experience has helped me with is that now I look at trees with missing bark very closely. I still discount the trees with missing bark only at ground level as that could be other animals. But, when I see missing bark 8' to 12' up the tree, and some of the limbs look to have been stripped, I start to get excited. Chris B.

Chris Bennett
BFRPKY.com

#34 indiefoot

indiefoot

Yowie

• Members
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:21 AM

Has anyone found any scat with tree bark in it?

#35 ChrisBFRPKY

ChrisBFRPKY

Bigfoot

• Members
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 02:07 AM

Indiefoot, I've never found any scat that was suspected to be from the creatures. That's one of my unanswered questions around here. Where do they poop? Do they hide it? Bury it? I know we have a good area. Maybe I'm just unlucky at finding it. I've found all the other critter's scat in the woods except the one I want to find. :lol: It'd be nice to know if anyone has found any suspect scat that contains bark. Good thinking! Chris B.

Chris Bennett
BFRPKY.com

#36 17x7

17x7

Wildman

• Readers
  • 145 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 02:54 AM

Indiefoot, I've never found any scat that was suspected to be from the creatures. That's one of my unanswered questions around here. Where do they poop? Do they hide it? Bury it? I know we have a good area. Maybe I'm just unlucky at finding it. I've found all the other critter's scat in the woods except the one I want to find. :lol: It'd be nice to know if anyone has found any suspect scat that contains bark. Good thinking! Chris B.

I have found poop on several occasions that I suspect to be from BF. Can't say for sure 'cuz I wasn't watching to see what critter did the deed, but found it later. What I have found looks just like what a human would have created except almost the diameter of a coke can and a foot and a half long. Not pelletized in any way so it's not deer/elk. Not loose like bear, but a firm "log" just like what people make only bigger. No sign of any wiping apparatus. Not buried or hidden in any way. In fact, the opposite has been my experience. I tend to find it right in the middle of the road or trail, as if it was left as a marker or sign.

I didn't ever spend a lot of time playing with it for obvious reasons (Ewww...), but what I have seen contained obvious berries, leaves, even some hair. Didn't see any bark or grass in it. I have also seen some that was part berries and roughage and then part smooth, dark, poop. Maybe meat? It was the same size, etc, but just dark and smooth like it had eaten a meal of something else without veggie matter in it. I used to have pictures of it, but that was before the days of digital and I didn't keep random photos like that when we moved to Africa.

Don't know if it was BF poo or not, but it didn't look like anything else I knew so I think it may have been.

17x7

PS- Black bear eat a lot of fir/pine bark. So much so that they become costly to the timber companies that are trying to grow trees for timber. If bears are eating it, why not BF?

Edited by 17x7, 13 May 2011 - 03:16 AM.

"Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking." -Scarecrow, Wizard of Oz

#37 indiefoot

indiefoot

Yowie

• Members
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 06:52 AM

The suspect scat that I have found here has been right on the dirt and gravel roads. I found some human sized that was made up entirely of Hackberry fruit. It grows on trees and is on the tree all winter. Now, human size and berries from a large tree doesn't leave many options, IMO.

I have also found human sized scat that was made up of leaves and grasses, some human sized with hair and fur. All of these were smaller than what 17x7 describes but bigger than a dog or coyote, and always in the road. No bears here.

#38 Sunflower

Sunflower

Yowie

• Members
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 08:54 AM

At my old place in the boonies I first heard a strange noise like an asthmatic elephant breathing in and out very laboriously. It was directly across the road from my barn and driveway. The inhales were very long and drawn out, the exhales were similar but had a lower octave sound. I did not report it. First I DID NOT believe bigfoot existed and second, who in the world would believe such a thing? It came and went....

My brothers heard it one night and decided to try to see what was making such a racket. Younger bro kept an ear towards the area, older bro kept putting the flashlight on it at the direction of the younger bro. Amazingly, younger bro saw it the split second the older bro put the flashlight on its face.

"Stalking" is a behavior that rightly comes to mind. This went on for some years til I decided it was time to move to town. :o

#39 ChrisBFRPKY

ChrisBFRPKY

Bigfoot

• Members
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 12:54 AM

17x7 and Indie, thanks guys. Awesome info. The only descriptions I have from a likely scat sample seen in KY described the diameter as about the size of a coke can and about twice the length. I just talked with another fellow Kentuckian at the Ohio Conference and he described the exact same details from a sample he found. Hopefully, I'll run up on a sample eventually. (Now that's a weird thing to say "I hope I'll find poop" :lol: )

Thanks Sunflower! I wonder why it was breathing heavily? Had it been running or maybe it was excited? Very interesting observation. Chris B.

Chris Bennett
BFRPKY.com