Finding Bigfoot And Other Reality Shows

Spader

Ive always marveled at the variety of "Reality shows" and how they came to be.A good bit of them came from across the pond like music talent, fashion shows etc. But for some of the other ones I wonder who goes after who. I know there are producers who brainstorm for the next big hit. For a show such as Finding Bigfoot I have to wonder if the BFRO proposed the idea to the Animal Planet network or if the Animal planet went to them with the idea. Besides bringing vast attention and publicity to the BFRO what else do they get out of the deal? Are they paid? You have to admit some compensation is due to the four researchers because these shows take a good part their time. I also wonder what kind of input they have over the finished product or "in the can" as they said in the old days. Let's face it the producers, directors and especially the editors have control over what content will be shown and what wont. They can edit out whole parts of dialogue and commentary that can completely change the intended dialogue and flow of the show. Let's face it, we Bigfooters are in the minority when factored into the national demographics, Animal Planet took a huge risk producing this show hoping that the originality of the show would attract the curious open minded crowd. Don't quote me on this but I think they did only 7 shows to see how it would turn out, well it did well enough for a second season and I hope it keeps on going. I will take Bigfoot info any way I can, wether it be on T.V., online, or in books.

Guest Fanofsquatch

I wonder that myself, just how did Finding Bigfoot come to be. There must be money in bigfoot otherwise they would not re run Bigfootville every other week. I would bet that Matt Moneymaker has been knocking doors all over the place trying to get a show for many years and finally got a bite. I think a bigfoot reality show is a tough sell but persistance pays off, and hell if UFO Hunters got picked up then bigfoot should have equal time.

My view is it was a chance to cash in on the Current "Scientific" (read as Voyeuristic) trend that "Most Haunted" started off in the UK, then when that particular show was shown to have Hoaxing plaguing it "Ghost Hunters" took over.

By using this model they branched out into other Paranormal Mainstays. Of course there have been other shows which has kept these topics in the Public Consciousness, "In Search of...", "Monsterquest" etc, but the "Single field" concentration of these programmes have solidified them as something closer to Normal by having the one subject being a non-localised phenomenon.

Guest Fanofsquatch

It is very interesting how most all ghost hunting type shows are the same crapola week after week, much like all bigfoot shows. When is someone going to step back and take a true scientific no drama approach to these subjects. I would bet the farm that Finding bigfoot is never going to find bigfoot, Ghost adventures is nothing more than that, an adventure, Ghost Hunters are hunting everyday noises and creaks and groans of old houses.

Given all the claims over the years from Moneymaker, he ought to be able to find bigfoot.

• 3 weeks later...

Finding Bigfoot is one of the best shows I have ever seen on the subject. It's not a random run through the woods it's methodical they go to places where there was major activity even if they have to take a helicopter. They talk to witnesses and then investigate with the latest methods. I love watching the interviews with all the different people that had encounters with Bigfoot because that's what Bigfoot is all about.

Where else can you get coverage like that, everywhere, at every sighting?

Guest wudewasa

The fact that MM and squatch posse will comprise a panel at a comic book convention speaks volumes about the scientific credibility of this series.

Anything for a buck and shameless self promotion, huh?

The fact that MM and squatch posse will comprise a panel at a comic book convention speaks volumes about the scientific credibility of this series.

Anything for a buck and shameless self promotion, huh?

Rubs me the wrong way as well. The Bigfoot community needs no more self-inflicted black-eyes and reasons for ridicule.

The main point of this thread is because we're jealous of the BFRO's success. That's the reason it's trashed and cried about on a forum where many like me come that enjoyed the show. Why can't everyone here that don't like it just change the channel like a normal person does when they don't like the content of a show? :wacko:

Show me one scientific credible piece of anything that has the word Bigfoot in it. The only way to have science in the mix is to get some kind of DNA. Whining on here about the BFRO's attempts will never help to produce it.

why should we be jelous of others who are being successfull in opening the eye to the public.Finding Bigfoot was a good show and should be learned from,not hated.They went out on a limb on these shows on to thrive on the intrest of the public.

At one time i can honestly say yes I disliked all these groups.They were bringing things that did not make sense to me.But now i see them as being helpfull in a creature we still do not ubderstand.Yes these shows bring in ratings and out of all the groups who has it be that everyone seems to reconize the most when it comes to Bigfoot ,the BFRO.

I owe my first encounter to them whether they know it or not (BFRO)since thier data base was so large of reports.Sure my one problem was the greed aspect of this creature and how it all had to do with being the first.But now it is more about learning and using that knowledge to further my understanding of these creatures.

I bet you that in some of those finding bigfoot programs not one of us did not learn something that we did not know before.I will give you an example when the team was in Alaska I believe they used this laser fence permeter detector.I think a sensor went off and they went over to investigate it.Did anyone notice that what ever tried to cross that laser detector did not really cross.Well with what i have expierance here in Michigan that gave me the thought that they are able to see those laser beams.If it was a creature that was trying to pass through i believe that it only passed its hand through knowing that there was a light beam crossing it's path and investigated it.So it was the little things that i was looking at in this program and used it in my own personal research.

I am sure there was hoaxing since you do have camera crews in these towns that do not normaly see this in thier normal lives.But for me it was a way to gain some knowledge of behavior and this is what i mostly care about except for the un-usual stuff that is reported.Sorry but what people say to me i keep for my own records no matter how crazy it sounds.This is just my opionion and i believe that the shows are good no matter what the out come may be. :)

Guest wudewasa

Oh yeah, can't wait for the "Finding Bigfoot" comic con panel. Spot on marketing genius for the promoters, way to niche market for a Halloween special!

Perhaps the Finding Bigfoot team could dress up in costumes for the panel in the spirit of the season.

post-1029-077032600 1317419222_thumb.jpg

post-1029-049066300 1317419389_thumb.jpg

Edited by wudewasa

I like seeing Bigfoot in the spotlight, however, I don't care for this MM character. Ghost Hunters have been accused to staging incidents to boost ratings - just Google it. I hope more Bigfoot shows turn up as a result of popularity of (not)Finding Bigfoot.

Edited by beerhunter

The main point of this thread is because we're jealous of the BFRO's success. That's the reason it's trashed and cried about on a forum where many like me come that enjoyed the show. Why can't everyone here that don't like it just change the channel like a normal person does when they don't like the content of a show? :wacko:

never said I didn't like the show. However COMIC CONS and being taken seriously by the scientific community is an anachronism. Plain and simple unless they have some brilliant way to spin it. We will see. BTW if you read some of my post you will find I have defended the BFRO in the past although I don't always agree with them. The database is invaluable. But they are not the only ones out there and so far nobody can claim a monopoly on knowledge...yet.

Edited by Tautriadelta

Guest Forbig

never said I didn't like the show. However COMIC CONS and being taken seriously by the scientific community is an anachronism. Plain and simple unless they have some brilliant way to spin it. We will see. BTW if you read some of my post you will find I have defended the BFRO in the past although I don't always agree with them. The database is invaluable. But they are not the only ones out there and so far nobody can claim a monopoly on knowledge...yet.

If nobody liked it they would of canceled it after the first season. . .

What's a bigfooter to do watch reruns of Monster Quest over and over or tune in to the entertaining new episodes of Finding Bigfoot?