• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 NCsquatch

NCsquatch

Booger

• Inactive
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 07:31 AM

I was just wondering if anyone has heard about any sightings in WNC. I live in the mountain's in NC and saw a little on the bfro but that's about it. Just curious thanks!

#2 kearnsey64

kearnsey64

Wildman

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:14 AM

Check www.bigfootencounters.com

#3 Tsalagi

Tsalagi

Bukwas

• Inactive
  • 496 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 08:48 PM

There's a ton of them. Franklin is a hot bed of activity. Also I've heard of several sightings around Cherokee, Linville Falls. There's a recent report from Jacksonville where he run in front of traffic, but I don't think that is in Western part.

#4 wudewasa

wudewasa

Yowie

• Inactive
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 09:09 PM

Interesting. Friends of mine live outside Franklin, and had several interesting encounters last spring. The first was a large shadow/silouette in front of a sliding door on the bottom floor late at night. This happened when my friend's daughter and wife were home alone. The second encounter were bipeds walking around on the deck above the bedroom at night. However, shoe prints were found the next day. Turns out there are some meth head breaking into summer homes in that area. The family also had a bear tear up the bird feeder on their deck about 18 months ago.

Things calmed down when my friend started shooting his 20 gauge and 357 magnum at targets around the place, regardless.

#5 NCsquatch

NCsquatch

Booger

• Inactive
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 07:29 AM

There's a ton of them. Franklin is a hot bed of activity. Also I've heard of several sightings around Cherokee, Linville Falls. There's a recent report from Jacksonville where he run in front of traffic, but I don't think that is in Western part.

Awesome thanks for the reply that is definitely interesting and I will have to look into that. I am interested in getting out in looking I just dont have the funds for any big trips currently. Are these sitings on a website or are they just people you talk to because if online I would love to read them.

#6 wudewasa

wudewasa

Yowie

• Inactive
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 07:59 AM

Awesome thanks for the reply that is definitely interesting and I will have to look into that. I am interested in getting out in looking I just dont have the funds for any big trips currently. Are these sitings on a website or are they just people you talk to because if online I would love to read them.

NCsquatch,

Bigfoot is reportedly abundant in areas of high rainfall. Here is a link to a precipitation map of NC. http://www.worldatla...thermaps/nc.gif

Bigfoot is also said to occupy a similar ecological niche to that of black bears. Check out this historical distribution map for bear populations in NC. http://216.27.39.101...ar_dist_map.pdf

#7 LAL

LAL

Sasquatch

• Banned
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 08:19 AM

Hot Springs, Lemon Gap and Harmon's Den may be hot, too.

I was told about a several minute sighting near Marion by a witness. She said she saw one in a tree line at the edge of a field. Years later her grandson saw something too. I'm sure she didn't report it anywhere.

#8 NCsquatch

NCsquatch

Booger

• Inactive
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 09:37 AM

Thanks for the feedback we have a ton of black bear and I haven't thought that yet and all the places you guys named are within an hour!

#9 WesT

WesT

Bukwas

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 11:38 AM

I was just wondering if anyone has heard about any sightings in WNC. I live in the mountain's in NC and saw a little on the bfro but that's about it. Just curious thanks!

Howdy neighbor. I live on the other side of the hill in SW Virginia. Back in the 80's I saw an article in the local newspaper that someone was investigating BF in WNC and had a picture of him holding a casting of a footprint found there. Other than that I haven't heard much. You know how is it, we just don't talk about things like that 'round 'ere. Apparently alot of folks 'round 'ere took it pretty hard when they found they had been lied to about santa clause and the easter bunny. There was a sighting in Grayson Co. Va. last year around the Blueridge Parkway near Sparta.

Thanks for the feedback we have a ton of black bear and I haven't thought that yet and all the places you guys named are within an hour!

Ha! So that's where all those bear we're seeing now are radiating out from.. :lol: I'm telling ya, it's a zoo in the mountains here. A crytozoologist has 3 cyptids to look for. BF, Appalacian Black Panther, Devil Monkey.

#10 NCsquatch

NCsquatch

Booger

• Inactive
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 10:28 AM

Howdy neighbor. I live on the other side of the hill in SW Virginia. Back in the 80's I saw an article in the local newspaper that someone was investigating BF in WNC and had a picture of him holding a casting of a footprint found there. Other than that I haven't heard much. You know how is it, we just don't talk about things like that 'round 'ere. Apparently alot of folks 'round 'ere took it pretty hard when they found they had been lied to about santa clause and the easter bunny. There was a sighting in Grayson Co. Va. last year around the Blueridge Parkway near Sparta.

Ha! So that's where all those bear we're seeing now are radiating out from.. :lol: I'm telling ya, it's a zoo in the mountains here. A crytozoologist has 3 cyptids to look for. BF, Appalacian Black Panther, Devil Monkey.

Haha, yea the population seems to have boomed over the last couple years. I'm not sure about this santa not being real mess though :-). I wouldn't be surprised if there were stories some of our colorful locals haven't released.

#11 WesT

WesT

Bukwas

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:09 AM

I'm not sure about this santa not being real mess though :-).

Haha, well the hardcore skeptics seem to like bringing santa and the easter bunny into BF discussions. I just chalk it up to childhood trauma.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were stories some of our colorful locals haven't released.

You know how it is 'round 'ere, mums the word. Now that I know you check back once in a while, I'll be more inclined to tell you what I know. The best account of a BF sighting I have ever read happened about 5 miles south of Chilhowie Va. in the foothills of the Jefferson National forest (near Iron Mountain). If you like, I'll share that account with you. Hellava story. If your researching, there may be some usefull info in his account.

I have a question. Have you ever heard of anything on your side of the hill about an unknown animal that's about 5-6ft. tall, bi-pedal, covered in reddish blonde hair?

#12 NCsquatch

NCsquatch

Booger

• Inactive
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:48 PM

Haha, well the hardcore skeptics seem to like bringing santa and the easter bunny into BF discussions. I just chalk it up to childhood trauma.

You know how it is 'round 'ere, mums the word. Now that I know you check back once in a while, I'll be more inclined to tell you what I know. The best account of a BF sighting I have ever read happened about 5 miles south of Chilhowie Va. in the foothills of the Jefferson National forest (near Iron Mountain). If you like, I'll share that account with you. Hellava story. If your researching, there may be some usefull info in his account.

I have a question. Have you ever heard of anything on your side of the hill about an unknown animal that's about 5-6ft. tall, bi-pedal, covered in reddish blonde hair?

I have never heard anything but to be honest that is not an indicators that such a thing hasn't been seen or talked about. I am pretty much they only person I know that's into this stuff. Not to many old timers left in my family to pass stuff like that down.

#13 Check

Check

Booger

• Inactive
  • 43 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:48 PM

WesT I'd love to hear the story if you'd like to share?

I'm new to bigfootery but spend a lot of time in western nc fly fishing, and am trying to figure out creative ways to combine the two interests.

#14 WesT

WesT

Bukwas

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:32 AM

Hi Check. Welcome to the forums. Sorry I didn't see your post here. My personal story is different from the one I was refering to in the post above. The one I was refering to is someone elses account. You can read his account here.. My Bigfoot Experience. It's on that page, just look for the WesT post.

Chilhowie is in Smyth County (SW) Virginia, not far from where I live. Chilhowie is Native American for "land of many deer". And the fishing is great here!

#15 salubrious

salubrious

Yowie

• Moderators
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:40 PM

One time when I was a kid about 14 years old, I was camping with some others my age in the valley near Looking Glass rock. We were north of the pavement in a primitive camp ground. About 3:AM I woke up for some reason, heard an unearthly scream from SE of the camp area on the other side of the dirt road.

Years later I heard the same sound again in a recording made in Oregon, reputed to be BF.

#16 vasquatch1984

vasquatch1984

Wildman

• Inactive
  • 142 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:33 PM

I lived outside waynesvill for about ten years. Close to the park and cove creek area. I've never really seen anything, but I've heard weird stuff at night and felt watched before. I know with how wild the place is, that there could easily be something there

#17 wudewasa

wudewasa

Yowie

• Inactive
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:49 AM

One time when I was a kid about 14 years old, I was camping with some others my age in the valley near Looking Glass rock. We were north of the pavement in a primitive camp ground. About 3:AM I woke up for some reason, heard an unearthly scream from SE of the camp area on the other side of the dirt road.

Years later I heard the same sound again in a recording made in Oregon, reputed to be BF.

I believe I know exactly where you were staying. Attributing the scream to a bigfoot is problematic, as there are a plethora of humans behaving in such a way around there. I was camping there several years ago, and the cacaphony of alcohol fueled barbaric yawps emanating nearby from a live action Jerry Springer Fest was remarkable.

#18 salubrious

salubrious

Yowie

• Moderators
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:13 PM

I believe I know exactly where you were staying. Attributing the scream to a bigfoot is problematic, as there are a plethora of humans behaving in such a way around there. I was camping there several years ago, and the cacaphony of alcohol fueled barbaric yawps emanating nearby from a live action Jerry Springer Fest was remarkable.

This was in 1970. There were no other campers, vehicles or anything anywhere near us. We had to drive in a spell, and there were no facilities of any kind. I can safely say it was not other humans. But it could have been an animal of some sort.

#19 wudewasa

wudewasa

Yowie

• Inactive
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:45 PM

Ahh, yeah didn't spend time there until the early 90s! Pretty place. Was the fish hatchery there back then?

#20 salubrious

salubrious

Yowie

• Moderators
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:50 PM

If I recall right the hatchery was well away from where we were- and on the other side of the hiway. But yes, it was there.