#1 Taylor

Taylor

Booger

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:12 AM

A precedent for ultrasonic communication in primates:

http://www.scienceda...20208220210.htm

Hmmm, typo in headline but no way to edit/delete...

#2 Wookie73

Wookie73

Booger

• Banned
  • 90 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:32 AM

and they are tiny and have huge ears to hear the calls with. It doesn't seem to lend any credence to Bigfoot infrasound claims

#3 bipedalist

bipedalist

Sasquatch

• Researcher 1
  • 12,060 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:31 AM

Yet it is a primate with unique echolocation and ultrasonic generational and receptional capacities.

Relationships with infrasound and color/visual perception is interesting in that the tarsier also has the higher
sensitivities to light in nocturnal environments with the larger eyes.

All-in-all just another hypothesis confirmed that shows animals/primates can have some pretty unique and remarkable
abilities in the sensation/perception area. Thanks for sharing that btw.

#4 imonacan

imonacan

Chiye-tanka

• Members
  • 983 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:53 AM

Yet it is a primate with unique echolocation and ultrasonic generational and receptional capacities.

Relationships with infrasound and color/visual perception is interesting in that the tarsier also has the higher
sensitivities to light in nocturnal environments with the larger eyes.

They are amazing little creatures, that can jump great distances from a still position. I had the privilege to hold and experience some captive ones, in my travels to Bohol, Philippines.

coyotes and owls... don't carry big sticks

Don't really care about my reputation. BF doesn't care , either

In order to "Research" something living.. does one not have to first find the subjects consistently, and then.. actually be able to observe them ?

#5 JasonC

JasonC

Booger

• Inactive
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:50 PM

less than 20Hz is infrasound
more than 20,000Hz is ultrasound

Two completely different things.

Reference: http://myavaa.org/do...DVAC%202010.pdf

Edited by JasonC, 01 May 2012 - 05:52 PM.

==========================================
Jason Cain is a retired police officer living in British
Columbia, Canada. He is independently investigating the
possible existence of an unknown homonoid.

His blog can be found at => http://SasquatchSighting.ca

#6 Guest_Jodie_*

Guest_Jodie_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:41 PM

Not really, one is at one end of the spectrum, the other on the opposite end. Size has everything to do with it, so if you have an eight foot tall bigfoot compared to a 5 inch tarsier, I imagine that is about as opposite as you can get. Here is an article that will give you a comparison of different primate ranges of hearing:

http://psychology.ut...perspective.pdf

#7 JohnC

JohnC

Yowie

• Members
  • 1,459 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:00 PM

I just discovered the infra sound thread, so edited.

Edited by JohnC, 01 May 2012 - 09:04 PM.

"There is nothing in cryptology that violates any established laws,laws of physics,or laws of nature,what it violates are some peoples sensibilities, so its really,that's more of a social problem rather than a scientific problem." Dr.J.Richard Greenwell

Show me the monkey suit!-me

#8 JasonC

JasonC

Booger

• Inactive
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:17 PM

Size has everything to do with it...

Are you saying the size of the primate determines their ability to hear infrasound? If so, please provide a reference stating that.

Not only can I not find such a reference -- I cannot find a reference stating that any primate can hear, let alone produce infrasound, as some sasquatch enthusiasts allege.

#9 BFSleuth

BFSleuth

Sasquatch

• Banned
  • 5,037 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:56 PM

Interesting quote from the article:

"Dominy and his group conclude that there may be selective advantages to vocalizations in the pure ultrasound. They call them "private channels of communication with the potential to subvert detection by predators, prey, and competitors."

Note that with infrasound this would also apply, as most mammals don't vocalize or hear in the infrasound range. Remember how we used to think elephants vocalized infrequently? Turns out after infrasound research they vocalize a lot, but the majority of their vocalizations are in infrasound range.

By the way, did anyone else click on the audio example of the tarsier's ultrasonic call? I highly recommend turning DOWN your speakers if you do that! When they say it is "highly annoying" they really mean it.... :startle:

#10 peppersfarms

peppersfarms

Booger

• Inactive
  • 63 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:01 AM

Our family raises cattle and something I’ve noticed. A single cow in the feed lot and no feed in the feed bunk, I get feed and pour in the bunk and the cow quietly feeds and a short time later the remainder of the cows maybe a mile or more away start coming to feed. Just how did they know?

I think there may be more to this infrasound than first thought.

#11 KentuckyApeman

KentuckyApeman

Bukwas

• Inactive
  • 264 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:45 AM

Infra sound and accute hearing is a normal trait among many creatures. Man has leap-frogged over these points, leaving behind there natural qualities. Replaced with his technology.
"The creeks. He always travels the creeks."

#12 Guest_Jodie_*

Guest_Jodie_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:12 PM

Are you saying the size of the primate determines their ability to hear infrasound? If so, please provide a reference stating that.

Not only can I not find such a reference -- I cannot find a reference stating that any primate can hear, let alone produce infrasound, as some sasquatch enthusiasts allege.

It was stated in abstract of the article that you neglected to read evidently:

Primates fit the mammalian pattern with small species hearing higher
frequencies than larger species in order to use spectral/intensity cues for
sound localization.

#13 JasonC

JasonC

Booger

• Inactive
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:25 PM

It was stated in abstract of the article that you neglected to read evidently:

Primates fit the mammalian pattern with small species hearing higher
frequencies than larger species in order to use spectral/intensity cues for
sound localization.

No, I did not neglect to read the abstract.  You are misstating what is says.

It says that small species of mammals can hear higher frequencies -- the paper you referenced says nothing of the size of the primate affecting their ability to hear low frequency sound in the infrasound range.  You appear to be inferring the opposite of what the paper says -- which is not acceptable.

In Table 1 of the paper you provided, it shows that NONE of the primates listed are able to hear infrasound.

I know of no formal scientific paper showing that there is a primate (other than humans) that can hear infrasound, let alone produce it as sasquatch enthusiasts allege.

This is exactly why the scientific community scoffs at "Bigfoot Researchers", because there isn't any science or adhesion to scientific principles going on.

#14 bipedalist

bipedalist

Sasquatch

• Researcher 1
  • 12,060 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:13 PM

....Of course this is all conjecture, then one has to get lucky enough to actually get a BF to “zap” you while the recording gear is running.

I'm not sure this is the way it is going to come down. Since this is an ultrasound thread, check out the infrasound thread and look at the type of equipment required. Basically, it has to be set out, not too portable, can use wide arrays and even trees as antennas, back to topic. More likely post processing and not live processing is the way infrasound will be correlated with BF.Sasquatch encounters or presence in a known area.

Apparently not all humans hear, sense or feel infrasound according to the sampling done in that study (don't know sample size) as 31 HZ was the minimal limit for human shown in the table. One species came close on that chart in the 20-30 HZ range better than human, macaca fuscata (have to look that one up but it is obviously a macaque which is a primate: Japanese Macaque--a cold weather, swimming primate it seems). To think there is not individual variability and ranges of human hearing and everyone hears only down to 31 HZ is probably not correct either. Some probably higher, some probably lower.

Obviously not everyone experiences BF infrasound that have sightings and many who do--- may not be able to describe it and lack infrasound experience , in my mind that does not take anything away from the valid sharing of experiences of those that have. At this point, I've had my own personal proof that the phenomenon is real and probably have been reminded of it on more than ten occasions (including the evening of a sighting of multiples), not by being dropped to my knees and curling up into a sniveling ball of protoplasm from zapping (though I don't deny that some may have experienced that form of zapping....)/

....Of course this is all conjecture, then one has to get lucky enough to actually get a BF to “zap” you while the recording gear is running.

Sure it's conjecture, BF isn't proven to everyones satisfaction or hasn't been documented in a science journal yet rather. What if infrasound emanating from BF can be controlled and is not just zero to full power zap.... I think there is an intermediary purpose for it's utility rather than a knee-bending, nausea-producing offensive weapon to be used on when Homo sapiens sapiens is around.

Edited by bipedalist, 02 May 2012 - 05:30 PM.

#15 Guest_Jodie_*

Guest_Jodie_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:11 PM

No, I did not neglect to read the abstract. You are misstating what is says.

It says that small species of mammals can hear higher frequencies -- the paper you referenced says nothing of the size of the primate affecting their ability to hear low frequency sound in the infrasound range. You appear to be inferring the opposite of what the paper says -- which is not acceptable.

In Table 1 of the paper you provided, it shows that NONE of the primates listed are able to hear infrasound.

I know of no formal scientific paper showing that there is a primate (other than humans) that can hear infrasound, let alone produce it as sasquatch enthusiasts allege.

This is exactly why the scientific community scoffs at "Bigfoot Researchers", because there isn't any science or adhesion to scientific principles going on.

No I believe I read it right. I know bigfoot exists, obviously you don't.

It says primates follow the mammalian pattern with smaller species hearing higher frequencies, which also backs up some of the reports you read that indicate the sasquatch might not be able to hear very well.Based on this research article alone, they probably can't hear some of the higher frequencies that we can. If they communicate at all, even if it is with typical hoots/calls that primates use, it would stand to reason that some of the sounds they generate could be in the infrasonic range.

Now as far as this being an acceptable line of logic for you in forming my hypothesis, I can't help you with that, your standards are a bit lower than mine.

For the record, humans receive infrasonic stimuli through the cilia in the ear drum but the brain does not interpret the signals. The human range of hearing is variable so you probably do have the occasional person that can recognize the stimuli that is a little bit below 20Hz. This is true of any given mammal so the chart in that article is an average range for each primate in case you weren't aware of that fact.

I suggest you refine your Google search a bit more, there may not be a specific primate study regarding infrasound but there are probably several out there that are related which would allow you to make the inference, assuming it meets your acceptability standards, of course. If you are skeptical of bigfoot's existence it might be a waste of your time.

With all of that said, I can see by your limited view point that you could not possibly be a member of the scientific community. That's OK, I'm not a bigfoot researcher either.

#16 spunout

spunout

Wildman

• Inactive
  • 125 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:11 PM

If you scale it, it makes sence.