What Got You Interested In Bf ?

Guest Lesmore

Guest Lesmore

What story, event, experience, film, individual, etc., about Bigfoot was the most convincing to you, got you interested ?

Perhaps it was experiencing, reading, hearing from others or watching the story unfold on a TV screen...that first piqued your interest in Bigfoot.

In my case it was going to the Patterson- Gimlin presentation 40 odd years ago at the local civic auditorium. I recall Mr. Patterson very clearly answering questions from the audience, the film....the whole thing.

Obviously it made quite an impression on my teenage mind.

What was it for you ?

Always have been interested as far back as I can remember.

When I was 10 my grandmother gave me On the track of Sasquatch by John Greene

SSR Team

Lesmore you're up there with my 4 Year Old Daughter, she asks what is seemingly an endless amount of questions too.. :D

Guest Lesmore

Lesmore you're up there with my 4 Year Old Daughter, she asks what is seemingly an endless amount of questions too.. :D

:) But I have 57 years on your daughter....and I've never stopped.

Your daughter may turn out like me....still relentlessly asking questions throughout life's journey.

I've always found that I'll never know the answers unless I ask and search out answers.

:D Incurably curious, Les

Edited by Lesmore

Guest MetalMtnMan

In early '07 an friend turned me onto some online research by Tal Branco, its then that i found out there were Arkansas BF sightings other then at Fouke and the ball began rolling for me. :)

Guest Kerchak

Probably the Six Million Dollar Man episodes I saw as a child in the mid 1970s. Then a Sunday newspaper magazine supplement on 'the bigfoot' shortly after followed by things like Arthur C Clarke's Mysterious World and The Legend of Boggy Creek. By the early to mid 1980s I was hooked.

Viewing The Legend of Boggy Creek as a child was my initial exposure to the subject that dictated an insatiable interest that has spanned for close to 40 years.

Guest CottlestonPie

From a UK perspective: my interest in “this stuff†was first kindled in my early childhood in the early 1950s, when there was a considerable media “buzz†in Britain about the alleged Himalayan Yeti / “Abominable Snowmanâ€, chiming in with the publicity given to the 1953 successful ascent of Mt. Everest. The whole notion of the Yeti struck me as quite amazingly cool... its North American counterpart first came to my notice a few years later, in a brief article in a “general knowledge†book for children – this, I am pretty sure, appearing prior to the excitement in Northern California from 1958 on: article’s paragraphs about “our friend†were, I remember pretty well for certain, in a British Columbia context. Next mention of Bigfoot / Sasquatch that came my way, was in Heuvelmans’s “On the Track of Unknown Animalsâ€, which came my way in English translation in 1962: owing basically to the date of appearance of Heuvelmans’s book, the “North American connection†gets in there, only a brief mention along “lately heard†lines, at the end of the chapter on the Himalayan Yeti.

I seem for long, to have missed out on direct tidings about North America’s Bigfoot. The first that I ever heard of the Patterson-Gimlin film, was in reading soon after publication, John Napier’s 1973 book “Bigfootâ€, including his analysis of the film. The film may not have received much attention in the UK at the time of its making and immediately after; in any case, during that period my interest in the subject was at a low ebb.

Flames of said interest fanned for me in recent years, by the rise of the Internet, with this site and sundry others. Find anything cryptozoological, somewhat intriguing, but “mysterious hairy giants†have always done the most button-pushing for me. North America’s BF is the cryptid about which the most information is most readily available; plus I feel the greatest likelihood anywhere of “something truly going on†cryptid-wise, revolves around this North American scene, plus some of BF’s possible counterparts in Asian / ex-Soviet-Union areas (though a consensus of opinion seems to have grown up, that the poor old Yeti of the Himalayas is seemingly a non-event).

Guest jtaylorcubsfan

Awsome question!! When I was a kid(6-10) I would go check limb lines on the Deepfork river with my Dad and brother. It would be two o'clock in the morning and we would be walking the river and they would start telling stories of the Boggy Creek monster which they said was just a stones throw away from the very spot we were in. Talk about scared!!! Every little noise I heard I was sure that Bigfoot was just outside the light that my flashlight put out waiting to pounce on us. Now that I think about it's pretty funny especially about how close Boggy Creek was. Just to let you know I have carried down the tradition and scare the crap out of my kid just like my Dad did to me.

An illustrated story about the Abominable Snowman in a magazine I read as a kid. I think it was "Boys Life" but I'm not positive. Then when I saw the Patterson/ Gimlin Film in the 70's I was hooked!

That In Search Of episode that introduced me to Patty, Bigfoot on the Six Million Dollar Man, Legend of Boggy Creek, and that flick about the scientists setting out to trap a Squatch only to have their camp destroyed.

I still remember Leonard Nimoy's voice, the freaky 70's music, and the first time I saw Patty walking across the creek bed - it was like time slowed down, and then it was like she was looking right at me when she turned back.

The movie where the Squatches attack the scientist camp scared me silly. This was also about the time of the MoMo sighting flap and we were living in Des Moines Iowa at the time. My mom suggested that if something scared me I should learn more about it to see if it was worth being scared of. I checked out every Bigfoot book that the library in Urbandale had, including works by Peter Byrne and John Green, and I have been interested ever since, to varying degrees. I even tried to volunteer for Byrne's project in the Dalles while I was in High School but never heard back.

I plan to visit the Bluff Creek site one day, and I will eventually get out into the field, but for now I am happy to review and learn from the work of others.

Great question.

Edited by infoman

Guest Manetheren

For me it was seeing the trailer for "Sasquatch: the legend of bigfoot" on TV in 1978 when I was six. I can still remember the scene that got me: a guy is flying a small plane over the Pacific Northwest. He looks down and sees a large dark figure walking upright across a clearing. The camera closes in on the pilot's face and the narrator says in an ominous voice: "What does this man see?" Oddly enough, that scene is not in the movie and I haven't found it on Youtube. The other thing that terrified me was the same year, seeing commercials for a TV broadcast of "The mysterious monsters". It was that scene where the arm comes through the window and tries to grab the woman on the couch. When the guy opens the door, the sasquatch is standing right there. After the first time I saw the commercial, I hid behind my chair everytime I saw the commercial start.

A life long interest in all things paleo, archeo and crypto regarding humans and later in life when I became adept at travelling in wilderness, living in proximity to it, and cognizant of how inept humans are in contrast to how big the wild landscape is and how elusive other creatures can be, I came to entertain the notion that old stories and recent reports could be describing an intelligent being determined to avoid contact with modern humans.