What Got You Interested In Bf ?

Guest Lesmore

Guest Bipedal Ape

What got me interested?

Matt moneymaker on a bad quality nightvision camera saying "I think there's a squatch in these woods"

Incredible!

BBF Members- I had two non-visual encounters when I was 11 years old in 1961. How do I know they were BF? My aunt saw two 9 ft. tall BF that night at the campgrond restroom and I saw a documentary from British Columbia in 1969 that played a call that matched the scream I heard. My folks had been visited by the big Guys at there campground in 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962 and 1964, all in the month of August. ptangier

Guest rig416

1.] Sasquatch: The Legend of Bigfoot

2.] The Legend of Boggy Creek

3.] David L Wolper Presents ~ Bigfoot documantary....

4.] In Search Of

5.] Arther C Clark's Mysterious World

The first two I saw as a little kid and they scared the heck outta me! :)

I have been interested ever since. Wish I lived in a local that I could do a bit of searching for them.

RIG

From my "Introduce Yourself" first post:

I got into Sasquatch via Eric Shipton's amazing Yeti footprint photos, which I saw as a child, and a book called The Long Walk by Slawomir Rawicz describing an epic escape from a Siberian prison camp in which he encountered two Yetis. Then the P/G film came out........what kid wouldn't be hooked?

I'm just disappointed that I'll never have a sighting myself.......but I'll take my excitement vicariously.

Mike

From my "Introduce Yourself" first post:

I'm just disappointed that I'll never have a sighting myself.......but I'll take my excitement vicariously.

Mike

Mike, why will you never have a sighting? Sighting or encounter?

Well, living in the UK, where there are ZERO sasquatches, and doing almost all of my travelling in Africa, where there are probably zero sasquatches (or similar), I reckon I'd be pretty lucky to ever see one. I do go to India now and then, so maybe one day I'll head up into the Himalayas, and so I guess that it isn't utterly impossible that a Yeti might cross my path. But no, those of us this side of the pond have little chance of bumping into anything mysterious in the woods.

Mike

Well, living in the UK, where there are ZERO sasquatches, and doing almost all of my travelling in Africa, where there are probably zero sasquatches (or similar), I reckon I'd be pretty lucky to ever see one. I do go to India now and then, so maybe one day I'll head up into the Himalayas, and so I guess that it isn't utterly impossible that a Yeti might cross my path. But no, those of us this side of the pond have little chance of bumping into anything mysterious in the woods.

Mike

British history has various stories of a hairy wild man and there are even coat of arms with hairy men. There are Welsh, Scotish and Irish stories of the wild hairy man. One Welsh story gives the hairy wild man background to the naming of a cave there ( a wild man who used to steal from the villiage until finally injured, then goes to its cave and dissapears or dies).

Some references in English literature are made, linked to the history of sightings from Roman times, Celtish stories of the wild man and saxon stories. Shakespear speaks of the hairy man.

I realise there is not much left in terms of forests throughout Britain but there would be enough cave systems and hidyholes to not rule out the possibility of hairyhoms existance somewhere near you perhaps in Scotland, Wales, Ireland or maybe in England itself. Remember too that reports across the world dont always have them as giants, some are quite little fury hominid friends. :unsure:

Edited by Encounter

Here are a couple examples,there are lots more posted on the Bigfoot face book page. I have no idea what European history has to say about these hairy me, and idea's Mike?

There are lots more, a couple more examples.

post-3077-032408600 1326233377_thumb.jpg

post-3077-041831400 1326233390_thumb.jpg

post-3077-017212700 1326233507_thumb.jpg

post-3077-064511500 1326233544_thumb.jpg

Here are a couple examples,there are lots more posted on the Bigfoot face book page. I have no idea what European history has to say about these hairy me, and idea's Mike?

There are lots more, a couple more examples.

Great pictures! There are some amazing faces in "Alexander's battle".

Edited by Encounter

Well, whatever may have lived in the UK in mediaevel times most certainly doesn't live here now. There is no wild-wood left at all. No woodland anywhere in the country isn't walked through or ridden through (on bike or horseback) every day by people. There are no reports of "wild-men", and I don't suppose there is an unbroken piece of woodland (other than managed coniferous plantations.........non-native, so with virtually nil wildlfife) bigger than 10 square miles. We are an extremely crowded little corner of the planet.

If we are going to rely on mediaeval pictures for evidence, then witches, ghosts, gargoyles, dragons, fairies, and mermaids, amongst many other bits of nonsense, are also going to have to be put on the agenda.

Mike

I came across (stumble upon maybe) the BFRO sightings link. After I read about every single report I had to admit they were likely real. Then a few months later I saw one. Then my daughter saw one in a different time and place. .....Then something threw a rock at me.....hard to argue with a flung rock. I was followed along a canal path twice (snaP, crackle,POP) after displaying interest in the trees thereabouts. I know they are real, but part of me still can't accept it.

Edited by Kings Canyon

I was just wondering about ancient legends Mike,wondering if these tails of hairy men where from the days of encroachment, or just old lore. There may not be much left there,but maybe there are some historical references you new of. When I went to school, we where taught the European population basically absorbed the Neanderthal. Although the theory presented in the Super Predator clip is the Neanderthal actually raped their way into our Dna. Realizing of course my time line is a mile off,but maybe that's what sparked the legends, or the inspiration for the paintings?

However, I can always research it myself,just thought you might know a little on it all.

I was just wondering about ancient legends Mike,wondering if these tails of hairy men where from the days of encroachment, or just old lore........ However, I can always research it myself,just thought you might know a little on it all.

Sorry John, I don't know the old legends to any useful extent, and nothing at all about ancient hairy men. My only aquaintance with this sort of thing comes with my work as an architect dealing with ancient buildings, where I occasionally come across superstitious stuff such as a mummified cat or a single shoe, under the floorboards (both anti bad-luck tokens), a kick-up on the end of a thatched ridge (to prevent a witch landing on the roof), or angels, werewolves and gargoyles if I am involved with a church. All harmless nonsense, unless you view it from the cat's perspective!

I suspect that there might be more fruitful territory in Europe. Germany, Poland, Czech Republic, the Baltic states.......all thinly populated and heavily wooded in previous centuries.

Mike

Edited by MikeG

Guest Dr. Boogie

I've always loved the idea that we don't know everything yet no matter how smart we think we are. Bigfoot just seems to me that it could be the ultimate proof of this idea, I've got my bets hedged on the Thylacine as well in case BF doesn't deliver! :rolleyes:

I've got my bets hedged on the Thylacine as well in case BF doesn't deliver! :rolleyes:

Too easy! A three minute viewing at close range by a (former?)park ranger just a few years back, and a great photo from a German tourist........Plus stories from the adjacent mainland in Victoria. That one is just a matter of time. Let's not head off-topic though.

Mike

Edited by MikeG