Why Do Some Want To Believe So Much?

Doc Holliday

I was out in the woods working on a couple of tractors yesterday and thinking about "thinking". Isn't "thinking", by it's very nature, "critical"? Certainly there are degrees of criticalness but can't all thinking be boiled down to "comparative assessments" (that's basically what I came up with)? And if so then all thinking must be critical.

Did ya hear that? I think somebody just barfed. :lol:

Guest Llawgoch

saskeptic,

I agree with what you say , i just feel personally that if someone want's to believe in Bigfoot then they should be allowed to do so without other's implying they aren't intelligent enough to think for themselves. As i said, i haven't seen it here so far and i hope i won't see it either.

I'm sorry, but that's nonsene. I think anyone who claims to have seen Bigfoot is a liar or an idiot. If it's ever proved, then I'm the idiot. The only reason they should have to claime it exists is because they, personally, have seen one. if they have then fair enough, they're relyng on their own evidence whic is not avilable to me, but I think everyone who makes such a claim is either mistaken or lying. I MUST think that given my position, I dont have a choice. Theres no other possibility. The publicly available evidence is laughable.

Guest RedRatSnake

I'm sorry, but that's nonsene. I think anyone who claims to have seen Bigfoot is a liar or an idiot. If it's ever proved, then I'm the idiot. The only reason they should have to claime it exists is because they, personally, have seen one. if they have then fair enough, they're relyng on their own evidence whic is not avilable to me, but I think everyone who makes such a claim is either mistaken or lying. I MUST think that given my position, I dont have a choice. Theres no other possibility. The publicly available evidence is laughable.

Calling folks liars and idiots for what they believe in is a pretty big insult don't ya think, i know many folks that have seen what they think is a BF and i'll stand by them 100%, if that makes me an idiot then i am in good company here on the BFF ain't i.

Llawgoch-

Can you make your point without the name calling?

We're trying to make the new BFF a nicer place to be, it would be great if you could help us all out.

I don't really think there's any justification for anyone believing Bigfoot exists unless they think they've seen one themselves and are trusting in their eyes and their own judgements. Although I might think they've made a mistake, that's a reasonable thing for them to be doing. And maybe Bigfoot is out there and they have seen him, and if it's ever proved, they'll know they were right for the right reasons.

Hi there nice to meet you.

I'm sorry, but that's nonsense. I think anyone who claims to have seen Bigfoot is a liar or an idiot.

You just contradicted yourself. So which is it? Am I justified or a liar and idiot?

Guest Llawgoch

Hi there nice to meet you.

You just contradicted yourself. So which is it? Am I justified or a liar and idiot?

In your case, I believe you claim to have seen bigfoot with no capacity for misidentification. I may be wrong and have you confused with someone else. But it you do claim to have seen Bigfoot without any possibility of misidentification, I have to think you're a liar. What else could I possibly think, if I don't believe Bigfoot exists? I think the same of you as you think of someone who claims to have seen Bigfoot getting into a UFO.

Now, that's not to say you are a liar. You may have seen Bigfoot, and maybe Bigfoot does exist. And in that case then you're absolutely justified because you're trusting your own observations and eventually you'll have the last laugh, becuae you'll be proved right. But for me, at this point in time, I think you're lying. Surely you know that many, many people think this about you. I'm quite happy to give you details privately to contact me if you'd like to to take this up with me personally. But yes, I think you're lying. So do most people. You know this.

Is this an example of critical thinking, critical thinker or just a troll? If this is what you truly believe, then why not move on to something else that interests you instead of frequenting a forum full of liars and idiots? UPs

But yes, I think you're lying. So do most people. You know this.

That is typical of what lots of folks are hoping this forum wont become again. Why would he share with you after that?

Those are some strong words Llawgoch.

And as has been mentioned, this is exactly the kind of thing a lot of people are hoping to avoid in this new iteration of the BFF.

If we ask nicely, will you please tone it down?

Guest ShadowPrime

Come on folks - lets not be that easy to goad! ;) That HAS to be a troll-post. Either that, or we have a mystery almost as big as the one surrounding BF... why would someone who is dead CERTAIN that BF does NOT exist, and that anyone who believes otherwise without claiming to have had a firsthand sighting experience is an IDIOT, spend his/her time hanging out on a BF forum?

IMHO, best to simply not take the bait!

I do think that, at times, we get wrapped around the difference between "proving BF is real" and "believing there is a cumulative body of material that suggests BF is a reasonable possibility". I think that many who consider themselves to be "believers", to some extent, really fall into the latter camp, while many who consider themselves skeptics feel that until the former occurs, it is wrong to indicate a "belief" in BF.

But drifting a bit off topic - apologies. Just sayin'... don't feed the troll! :P

Shadow

SSR Team

The " Liar " & " Idiot " part are a bit strong granted but i can see where Llawgoch ( Welsh ?? ) is coming from, i just think he/she's wording is not the best that he/she could have done.. :D

If he/she honestly believes BF doesn't exist, then what else is he/she meant to think of people who claim to have seen one without a doubt ??

& as he/she said, most people on the Planet think we're lying & that's part of the reason i've never come clean publically about why i'm so interested/obsessed in teh subject, i'm far too short tempered to be getting into the " you're lying " conversations with people who are clueless towards the subject ( i'm not speaking Forum wise, i'm talking about every day life ) ESPECIALLY when i'm right & they're wrong..

& i'll tell you one thing, i don't disagree with what he/she said here at all really " I don't really think there's any justification for anyone believing Bigfoot exists unless they think they've seen one themselves and are trusting in their eyes and their own judgements. " except for as Timmy ( RRS ) said " i know many folks that have seen what they think is a BF and i'll stand by them 100%, if that makes me an idiot then i am in good company here on the BFF ain't i. "

& that's a big part in all this, the people, good people, they are out there, they are on this Forum, they are on other Forums & they may well be outnumbered, but they are there, & in people we trust, just not all !! ;)

Guest Ambermae

saskeptic,

I agree with what you say , i just feel personally that if someone want's to believe in Bigfoot then they should be allowed to do so without other's implying they aren't intelligent enough to think for themselves. As i said, i haven't seen it here so far and i hope i won't see it either.

Scratch that, i just have! :(

Guest Ambermae

The " Liar " & " Idiot " part are a bit strong granted but i can see where Llawgoch ( Welsh ?? ) is coming from, i just think he/she's wording is not the best that he/she could have done.. :D

If he/she honestly believes BF doesn't exist, then what else is he/she meant to think of people who claim to have seen one without a doubt ??

& as he/she said, most people on the Planet think we're lying & that's part of the reason i've never come clean publically about why i'm so interested/obsessed in teh subject, i'm far too short tempered to be getting into the " you're lying " conversations with people who are clueless towards the subject ( i'm not speaking Forum wise, i'm talking about every day life ) ESPECIALLY when i'm right & they're wrong..

& i'll tell you one thing, i don't disagree with what he/she said here at all really " I don't really think there's any justification for anyone believing Bigfoot exists unless they think they've seen one themselves and are trusting in their eyes and their own judgements. " except for as Timmy ( RRS ) said " i know many folks that have seen what they think is a BF and i'll stand by them 100%, if that makes me an idiot then i am in good company here on the BFF ain't i. "

& that's a big part in all this, the people, good people, they are out there, they are on this Forum, they are on other Forums & they may well be outnumbered, but they are there, & in people we trust, just not all !! ;)

You may not think Bigfoot exist's and you may not think there is justification for believing in Bigfoot but outright calling someone a liar and an idiot just because you don't believe is not neccessary. Llawgoch is intitled to his opinion but he doesn't have call people name's just because he doesn't believe them.

I agree with redratsnake, i have asked john about his sighting and i believe he absolutley believe's he saw a Bigfoot but i wasn't there with him so i don't know what it was, i certainly do not think he is lying!

I haven't decided if i believe in Bigfoot myself yet and my decision is up to me and no-one else, it's my decision to make. If that make's me an idiot then so be it :P