If You Were A Sasquatch How Would You Do It ?

My interest in this subject has grown since I was a wee lad. Like everyone, it seems extremely difficult to believe we do not have better evidence to prove that we are talking about something that is real.. Rather than focus on the argument of whether it is or not, let us say in this thread that they ARE REAL.. no questions asked. (hard, very hard I know for many or most) Now for those who are past that... OR willing to bypass that point for a moment.. I would like your opinion on what you think is happening: For populations of a large primate to continue to remain aloof from scientific verification. What mechanisms are going on that allow this to happen ????????????????? Are they so rare that 90 percent of the reports or MORE are bogus ? Are 90 percent or more of the ones that claim observations full of it ? Are these creatures so good at camo that they can just remain amongst us somehow and not get caught by camera ? vid ? Or keep their DNA away from possible collection devices ? So what is it that allows them to continue, universally across their range (presumably Alaska east down to Florida and perhaps into Mexico and possibly south. AND apparently range into Asia ? What is up ? I will throw in my two cents sometime soon. They obviously run their own show.. and know some things about survival. What ? How ? I have had a great time on here reading up on what people have to say. I would like to see what opinions people have on how these creatures avoid people, detection, verification and survive in a LOAD of variable environments. So imagine that YOU are them.. Bear in mind that intelligence can vary as well as interpretations of what is observed or seen. What I hope is that we get some exchanges on what might be going on out there which allows them to survive in our midst from time to time or when they choose to. My stance is this: Something makes the tracks. Something is continually described in similar terms.. and something is continually behaving similar across the board from Alaska to Florida.. ARe these reports all 250 pound athletes with 200 pounds of weights strapped on their back in suits waiting for an opportune moment to jump out of the brush to scare off a hunter or fisherman who may or may not appear in the area ? THAT doesnt make sense either.... First attempt at a topic... pardon if not in style with standard procedure..

ARe these reports all 250 pound athletes with 200 pounds of weights strapped on their back in suits

I'm especially curious as to what this is referring to... :unsure:

Guest DaveBeaty

This isn't all that hard. Joseph Burgess lived for 10 years in the Santa Fe National Forest in New Mexico. He came in contact with almost no one and was only photographed once. His one trailcam photo was because he was breaking in to a cabin at the time. The only reason he was "discovered" (body on a slab) was that he happened to break into a cabin that police had staked out and got into a shootout with them.

Sasquatch don't get into shooting matches with police and don't have to break into cabins for food, clothing, and ammo, allowing them to stay hidden much better. Our one picture of a sasquatch was taken because one decided to peek into a camper at Red River.

References: America's Most Wanted, BFRO

Guest ajciani

I must agree. It does not seem to be particularly difficult to avoid people, even in this day and age. Even pot grows, static areas of human activity, can be hard to locate, and they are usually given away by 3:00 am activity. There was a grow operating in a tiny corner of a nature preserve near me, and the only thing that gave away its presence was the fact that the growers stole one of the county biologist's game cameras, followed by some snooping around by the biologist. You might have thought that guys moving in fertilizer and pesticide, moving out bails of pot, running generators to power irrigation pumps and cooking on camp fires would have gotten someone's attention. You would have thought that the county and other biologists doing surveys in the preserve would have happened near the grow by pure chance. You would have thought, that the entire preserve being only a few square miles, with no section more than a 1/4 mile from a walking trail, some visitor would have asked the rangers about the smells of cooking and the sound of the generator.

Seriously, people walk around with their eyes open, and see nothing.

Denialist .. my point was that so many think the reports are misidentifications (bear, dog, people, even the rear of a deer, elk or moose, or a stump) or a person in a suit. If a suit, then the explanation of the tracks must be someone who is sooo heavy that it accounts for the depth of the tracks in all kinds of substrate.. mud, sand, loam or soil, etc. If a person weighing say 250 or more barely makes an indentation during the same field conditions as was the time of the strike (track laydown) and the tracks go deep AND show toe movement, heel dig, variable changes, then what do we have for options ? Either the unlikely explanation I gave (suggested by Robert Alley in the Raincoast Sasquatch book of Alaska reports) or some other circumstance..

ajciani.. Interesting quote : Seriously, people walk around with their eyes open, and see nothing.

If one goes to Stancourtney.com you can find an incident about a cemetary in Illinois where he and another fellow heard some sirens followed up by a sirenlike call. Did it prove anything ? No. The point ? IF IT WAS the subject, it shows how easy it is for them to make almost any sound and either be ignored, or thrown into the category whatever. So how many people actually do something about it? Add the necessary need for verification of something so extreme.. Is it possible they can make any noise they want and get away with it ? Right under our nose ? Depends on who you talk to I guess. Incidentally there were other things going on at the cemetary that suggested BF or someone playing pranks who would be able to copy behavioral descriptions attributed to them. Most would probably go with that since BF is unproven. So.. how does one tell the difference ? Another thing they have going for them ?

Guest tracker

How hard could it be for them to approach another animal that doesn't see, smell or move very well and makes lots of noise . We need to constantly rest and stay warm & dry or we grow weak and sick. It would be like hunting a lost blind person yelling for aid in a city park, easy, pathetic even. Only our tech keeps us alive. Otherwise were just smart game animals when in the woods.

Excellent points treeknocker and ajciani, our own skepticism can cause us to dismiss things we shouldn't. It really can be a flaw as much as our imagining that the indications point to something unknown to science. Few people are inclined to investigate things through and that does help out the big guy if he is out there.

My guess is they rather stoically go about their day to day survival and don't pay human-kind much mind, other than in an abstract, food source kind of way, like most any other reculsive animal. If they cross paths with a human it's probably out of their mind within a few minutes after they regain the security of distance and/or cover. If they are the psychic super-beings that some say, they have nothing to fear from any human activity or technology anyway...

I think one of the most useful things they have going for them is human misconceptions.

People hear them at night, & either ignore it because having to think about it makes them uncomfortable, or their minds dismiss it as a coyote, big cat, or somebody's TV. If they see one, they rationalize it away....It was a bear, or their imagination or somebody in a suit. It couldn't be a BF, because everybody knows they are just a myth. (Misconception #1)

There is also the camo thing they have going for them. They can look like anything from a shadow to an old stump, to a rottweiler. I saw one running on all fours once that I would have sworn was a wolf if it hadn't stopped & stood up. It took me a few minutes to convince myself that wolves don't stand up on their hind legs & walk off. Once your mind decides what something is, it's hard to convince it otherwise.

Another thing is that strange property their hair has. It's reflective, & in moonlight it makes them almost look "see-through". They can be standing in plain sight on a bright night, & you will think there is nothing there. One night several years ago, when the little ones were here, I saw about 4 of them playing in the yard. There was a bright moon that night & it looked like a bunch of almost invisible puppies playing. It was one of the strangest things I ever saw, & believe me, I have seen a lot of strange things.

As long as humans keep believing all their preconceived garbage, they'll be pretty safe from being "discovered".

I'd agree with those who would suggest that avoiding humans in the natural environment is not all that difficult, particularly if one is endowed with traits that make sticking to trails un-necessary,and traits which gives creatures such as humans intuitive insight as to the thought processes of those who one is consciously avoiding.

Our self-held belief that humans are good at pursuing specific individual thinking creatures in the wilderness is, I suspect, mostly myth with some basis in fact but largely a belief to give us confidence.

Something like this happened to me this fall and after reading Sasfooty,s post, I am wondering if maybe I shared it here already, but I do not think so.

I was Grouse hunting in October and was on my ATV on an old logging road. I had just driven by a parked truck (very unusual in this area) and saw a Grouse on the road. I got off, loaded my gun and shot the bird. I then walked up and picked the bird up and as I am walking back to my ATV, I see this large Rottweiler looking animal walking parallel to me but in the opposite direction. It was only 25-30 yards into the woods, but very thick. My immediate thought was 'that guy in the truck must be hunting with a Rottie, how weird'. I caught glimpses of it as it kept moving away from me, but never saw the whole animal. The weird part is the color of the animal. It was the same color as a whitetail deer in its winter coat (grey). This animal never ran and was on 4 legs (as far as I could tell). My clearest view was of the rear half of the animal and there was no obvious tail. Base on color alone, I concluded this was a deer, but why did my mind immediately tell me it was a Rottweiler? As a hunter, I look for shapes of animals or parts of animals and that helps me identify them when they blend into their surroundings.

The next day I went back to where the truck was parked and determined this was a forester marking trees for a cut and not a hunter.

As far as the OP, if I had the physical makeup of what is described as bf, it would be very easy to stay hidden. What may be difficult and what bothers me a great deal is hiding your spoor. In areas inhabited by few humans, this may not be very difficult, but in areas where humans frequent it would be difficult to not leave some obvious spoor.

totally different take on this but has anyone ever experimented with simplying trying to avoid hikers or just known you were sharing the woods with hunters yet never seen them while out there? As for hikers, I often hear them minutes before seeing them, avoiding them in broad daylight is not at all hard.

Ok, I would try to blend with my surroundings. Look like a part of a tree or a bush or possibly some other type of animal by getting in a different position. You may not get reports of this done often because they may get shot pulling the identity theft card out in the woods if mistaken for a moose or bear. Just being still and the general same color as the rest of the trees or woods would keep you hidden. No mystery to me as to how they pull it off since city folk like me would walk right on past and never know they were there.

• masterbarber locked this topic