Albert Ostman

Guest OntarioSquatch

All I gots to say is bless Albert for coming up with this tale..real or not. It's the best BF story bar none! Thanx AO.

Guest vilnoori

Either the cypress tree would be long down, or the axe head grown over and probably the first possibility is more likely after all this time. No, I don't think there would be any vestige left.

Bobby: I am still in favour that Ostman experienced multiple Sasquatches first hand in that part of BC in the time frame he says.

I just think he well and truly got his locations mixed up, big time. :D

Yes, I think that is where I am at too. The account is so very detailed, and he described things pre-patty that are so similar to what other sighting accounts describe. Big differences, mind you, but not so big that it discounts it in my opinion. I think that Homo erectus type creatures residing in North America might show a range of cultural acquisition, some might have learned some language, textile skills and tool use from us or just had it, even, while others might be completely natural and use no tools or language at all, either because they lost it or never had it. Who knows.

Edited by vilnoori

Guest BFSleuth

Cypress trees can live hundreds of years. The description of the camp has the tree up against a cliff. It is possible that it might still be there, and if the axe is still there the head will have grown into the tree somewhat (assuming that it stayed embedded).

Guest BFSleuth

For documenting evidence it would be better to cut the axe out of the cypress and leave it standing. Establish the exact location with GPS, fully document the entire campsite (rocks for fireplace, etc.) and find any other trace items. Cutting down the tree would be the last thing I would want to see happen.

I never did do well in forensic science, I mean, why not scrub that body up while we're waiting for the cops? It looks pretty gross for such an important guy like the coroner to have to see..... :russian:

Guest BFSleuth

This BFRO sighting report notes that the BF walked on level ground, in an unhurried fashion, about about a 4 minute mile pace (about 15 mph). If walking through steeper terrain the pace would be slower, but it seems that if Ostman was carried for 2-3 hours (and he isn't sure about the entire time he spent "in the bag") then it might be possible for a considerable distance to be covered. It would be in the neighborhood of 20-45 miles, depending on the terrain, cover, and total time traveled.

SSR Team

Bear in mind that this is the terrain though BFS.

post-136-0-05107600-1341947514_thumb.jpg

Guest BFSleuth

Yes, this is some of the most difficult terrain, which would greatly reduce the horizontal rate of passage. However, the ability of BF to speedily negotiate very difficult terrain has been described as pretty phenomenal. I think of the young lady with the sighting report in the Marble Mount wilderness, witnessing a BF running up valley, speed climbing a cliff estimated at at least 5.9 difficulty (a fairly difficult climb for an expert rock climber), then running up a steep mountain side... all the while howling very loudly.

That's why at the low end of the range I considered 20 miles if he was "in the bag" for a shorter period of time and the BF was slowed by difficult terrain. I'd consider as little as 10-15 miles at the low end, but given the ability for these creatures to move through the woods "like a hot knife through butter" it seems to seems plausible that they could cover quite a range in a short period of time. Of course, in this case the BF would also be carrying a load.

BF, are there any more reports of this sort? Like with BF speedily and with ease performing feats an olympic athlete would struggle with?

Guest BFSleuth

The How Fast Can Bigfoot Run thread has had some recent posts that are noting some pretty cool reports, like BF literally running circles around troops training at night. I've also come across a report of a bigfoot that threw a basketball size rock "like a Nolan Ryan fastball", nearly hitting one witness. That rock came out of the trees on a fairly flat trajectory, traveling at least 100'. Consider how heavy a basketball rock is, then think that a 16 lb shot is thrown about 75' in an arcing trajectory for the current shot put world record.

Guest MikeG

What are the odds that no-one has visited the same campsite as AO in the following 90 years? Anyone going there might have seen an old axe stuck in a tree, and grabbed it as a souvenir, not thinking it of any importance at all.

Actually, far more important than finding the initial campsite would be to find the hanging valley. Is there anything that Ostman might have left behind there?

Mike

A rock the size of a basketball (volumewise) would weigh in the neighborhood of 50-75lbs and to hurl it 100' is amazing, not to mention it wasn't done as a competition effort but an every day "get away!" kinda motion. Of course, if there were an 8' tall person, fully developed--not owing the height to some hindering disease--they could probably do the same feat.

Guest BFSleuth

What are the odds that no-one has visited the same campsite as AO in the following 90 years? Anyone going there might have seen an old axe stuck in a tree, and grabbed it as a souvenir, not thinking it of any importance at all.

Actually, far more important than finding the initial campsite would be to find the hanging valley. Is there anything that Ostman might have left behind there?

Mike

Since AO was going off trail during the first part of his journey, I think the odds that the campsite is untouched might be pretty good. Not many people will travel 2-3 days into the wilderness without trails.

Even if we were able to find the hanging valley I doubt there would be anything left if the BF had access to the gear.

Guest vilnoori

The report mentions a lot of tin cans, including the snuff boxes. I wonder how they would fare up in the mountain heights for that long a time.