Albert Ostman

Guest OntarioSquatch

Guest BFSleuth

There still might be some old rusty tin cans or other metal items remaining in the hanging valley, if we were ever able to locate it. I would imagine they would be buried under leaves and new soil. Taking a metal detector would be a good idea.

SSR Team

I'd say it was at least a year's worth of Project on Google Earth plus other Mapping resources with an intimate knowledge of a HUGE area that is some of the toughest terrain on the planet that looks all the same.

It's virtually impossible in my opinion.

Guest BFSleuth

I concur that this would be like trying to find a needle in a haystack to the 10th power. Based on my own efforts to date trying to use Google Earth and attempting to tie in with his written account there are so many discrepancies from the actual terrain that he is either misremembering the particulars of directions, elevations, locations, and drainages.... or it never happened.

My skeptometer needle is moving toward the left on this... but I'm just saying there is a chance....

BFF Patron

The report mentions a lot of tin cans, including the snuff boxes. I wonder how they would fare up in the mountain heights for that long a time.

Tin cans from Appalachian dumps both buried and surface, and old drums used as stills still remain from the late 1800's to early 1900's in one of the wettest environments in the East. So I would say remnants could exist for sure..... a powerful model metal detector might be required or extremely localized knowledge of where to start and probe.

Guest BFSleuth

This search will require a lot more then Google Earth. There a lot of extremely difficult terrain to cover to try and find some campsite with cypress trees next to a cliff... somewhere. We could spend weeks on an expedition even if we had a clue where to start looking, and right now I'm at a total loss where to look.

Is there a possibility that there is more written about his story than we have already accessed? Any background notes from interviews or something?

SSR Team

Not that i'm aware of.

Everything i read on it seems to be repeating, and repeating, and..........

You get my drift..;)

Guest Transformer

I would like to clear up some things I said about the investigation and Mr. Green.

I have met Mr. John Green on numerous occasions (not to do with sasquatch) and I can state for a fact that he is one of the nicest gentlemen there is. When I say "gentleman" I mean that in the sense of an educated man who is unfailingly polite to all people, gracious as a host, mild in manner, well spoken, and a friend to pretty well all people who know him.

I think this may have hindered his ability to really get to the bottom of things such as the Ostman case. A lot more information needed to be obtained and a lot of things needed to be questioned. But ( and this is just my opinion) Mr. Green may not have wanted to be perceived to be insulting or contemptious to a man that was older than him and in not the best of health.

Pretty hard to find fault with a gentleman acting in a gentlemanly manner but it is frustrating!

Guest BFSleuth

You make an excellent point, Transformer. Mr. Green was the consummate gentleman. This was a strength for getting people to open up and tell their stories to him, but sometimes a more pointed line of investigation is needed. I'm sure that part of the issue would simply be that maps back in the day may not have been as easy to help him try to piece together the narrative and locations, so he may have ended up scratching his head and just chalked it up to old memories that weren't accurate or assumed Mr. Ostman was simply mistaken about where he thought he was.

Guest OntarioSquatch

I don't want to come across as credulous, but I believe his story. His descriptions are phenomenaly accurate and he seems like a down to earth man. (Albert Ostman)

Edited by OntarioSquatch

• 5 months later...
SSR Team

Going back a little but i came accross this picture today which reminded me of what we were talking about earlier in this thread.

We have to take into consideration that the prominence of Jefferson ( the closest tip we see ) is just under 6,000ft whereas Rainier's prominence is at just under 14,000ft.

Where Ostman supposedly was would have been around the 5,000ft/6,000ft mark too so the viewing distances would have been similar if it was a clear day.

The Toba Inlet itself would be about 160 miles to Mt Baker which he said he could view, although Ostman would have been further south of the Inlet when viewing which would shave a few miles off the distance.

Mt Jefferson to Mt Rainier, is also 150 miles and is clearly visible in this picture..

post-136-0-12652400-1355499337_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

49°49'50.02"N 123°26'45.03"W  

This is what I just posted in another thread, I was searching literally where he was referring. I reversed his actions and then I see this on Google Earth. Regardless of the squatchnapped story this is the location. 

You make an excellent point, Transformer. Mr. Green was the consummate gentleman. This was a strength for getting people to open up and tell their stories to him, but sometimes a more pointed line of investigation is needed. I'm sure that part of the issue would simply be that maps back in the day may not have been as easy to help him try to piece together the narrative and locations, so he may have ended up scratching his head and just chalked it up to old memories that weren't accurate or assumed Mr. Ostman was simply mistaken about where he thought he was.

But, being a newspaper man, and especially back then, he would have been going for the big story, not necessarily the truth.  As some of you may know, even today the press is notorious for getting facts and information wrong.

t.

Guest Crowlogic

Finding Ostman's story site is IMO impossible now.  Even if you found stuff that resembled where he said he was there would be no way to prove it was his.  Those forests have had and are still used by hunters and other woodsmen.  It's a nice idea but gone from possibility.

Guest Crowlogic

After refreshing myself on the Ostman account I favor the description of them being big naked people with rudimentary object modification such as weaving.  This does add weight to the modern speculations of them being human like.

SSR Team

Crow, is it my imagination or are you being much more receptive to the existence of these things at the moment ?