Albert Ostman

Guest OntarioSquatch

What would be the purpose of finding Ostman's camp? And how could you be certain it was his tin cup you found?

Well, I would say if you found some old 1/2 decomposed woven mats, an empty tobacco tin, and a couple of spent rifle shells (and perhaps an axe head in a tree on the way there), you could gain confidence.

Question for all:  Has there EVER been another report of BF using woven mats?

This part of his account doesn't sit well with me.

Cotter

I recall seeing many photos around of bedding sites. The description did not really clarify "manufactured" woven quality, but I would assume it could have been learned over the centuries.  In reviewing this, I may not have the location correct, as there is no overhang. I am looking for 10 acre area, it may in fact be about 3 and mid level, not basin, but just above large timber line. His statement "The floor was covered with lots of dry moss, and they had some kind of blankets woven of narrow strips of cedar bark, packed with dry moss." 

I read once regarding the Ostman story that the same incident had been told, I think in Russia, before Ostman related his adventure.  The thought was that he had made up his story based on the Russian one and for that reason it was a hoax.  I can't remember where or when I read it.

t.

BadVooDoo, I googled your lat/long, and looked at the basin you indicated. It certainly could be a candidate for the location of the Sas camp. I've visited the Squamish/Ashlu watershed several times over the last 40 years, and it is extremely steep, rugged territory, though google earth now shows some logging cuts reaching to within a few hundred meters of those basins. It might be worth a visit again, in the near future.

Guest Crowlogic

Crow, is it my imagination or are you being much more receptive to the existence of these things at the moment ?

I'm never actually non receptive.  I do maintain a healthy skepticism that they can be all over the place as the phenom has evolved over the past 20 years.  That said a solid report and or a good video, photograph or artifact taken in one of the historical areas (read remote PNW and Canada) will indeed capture my interest.  

Edited by Crowlogic

SSR Team

I read once regarding the Ostman story that the same incident had been told, I think in Russia, before Ostman related his adventure.  The thought was that he had made up his story based on the Russian one and for that reason it was a hoax.  I can't remember where or when I read it.

t.

I wonder how a Swede that spoke broken English, would be able to read a Russian Sasquatch story ?

I wonder why the double standard.   Ostman is being called a hoaxer because his story is too much like someone else's.   Someone else gets called a hoaxer because their story is too different.   "Would someone make up my mind, please?"   Which one is it going to be?

MIB

Edited by MIB

Keep in mind Ostman was asked about their genitalia. And he answered that the males resembled a stallion...... Which is spot on for apes.

BadVooDoo, I googled your lat/long, and looked at the basin you indicated. It certainly could be a candidate for the location of the Sas camp. I've visited the Squamish/Ashlu watershed several times over the last 40 years, and it is extremely steep, rugged territory, though google earth now shows some logging cuts reaching to within a few hundred meters of those basins. It might be worth a visit again, in the near future.

Thanks BC.. One of the biggest factors for me in selecting tis location, was not only the shape, the spur leading out and his mention of a 2 hour hike out to the bottom.  If you look at the creek going down, it hits a another and there are large boulders there. The pathing tool puts the distance at about 1.9 miles. To make this in 2 hours in that terrain is about right. To the east then south would definitely be sun on left shoulder and facing south.  Never crossing large inlet in his story, this is the only way south where there is a lot of logging still.  

Edited by BadVooDoo

I wonder how a Swede that spoke broken English, would be able to read a Russian Sasquatch story ?

I don't know if it was Russian for sure.  Geeze, if I remember that comment surely someone else must have read it too?  Doesn't mean it's accurate of course but I always remembered that.

t.

Keep in mind Ostman was asked about their genitalia. And he answered that the males resembled a stallion...... Which is spot on for apes.

Yeah but apes don't weave sleeping mats.  If it is a human type being like many appear to suspect, the "stallion" comment wouldn't be accurate…well, maybe it would but probably not.  The weaved mats always bothered me about the story.  But then the young male bouncing around on his rear end for fun was a convincing aspect of the story…for me anyway.

t.

SSR Team

Yep, as do Chimps and Gorilla's.

http://home.worldcom.ch/negenter/081NestbApes_E.html

Construction, form and types of nests

The higher apes are nomads. In search of food the animals daily wander over a more or less clearly defined home range and rest at "customary used nesting places" (Harrison 1969). Every nightarrow-10x10.png is spent in a different place. This is the source of a routine for nestbuilding behaviour. All three species of higher apes from a certain age (3-4), every night build themselves at least one new nest. On average this means about 10-15 thousand nests over the life of an ape, a virtual tower of 11 to 16 times the height of the Eiffel-tower in Paris. A really remarkable life-opus!

The construction process is rather stereotyped. In trees the animal stands or squats on two legs, with its arms it pulls about three thick branches towards its body, bends them, presses them down under his feet and weaves them into a stable round platform of about 60 to 80 cm in diameter (fig. 1 + 2). Then thinner branches and twigs are woven into a wreath. Finally the platform is cushioned with twigs broken off and with plucked leaves. Uneven spots are levelled by knocking with the back of the hand. The whole procedure lasts about one to five minutes depending on the animals abilities. At the end the constructor lies comfortably down in the finished nest and falls asleep. High up in the crown of the tree it safely passes the night until the first light of the next morning.

And this - http://home.worldcom.ch/negenter/00AA2_Apes_NestsFig_Lg01.html