Albert Ostman

Guest OntarioSquatch

SSR Team

Oh yeah it's brilliant.

Hats off to Mr S for giving his time doing so, and on lots of his other investigations that he does, and then shares with us.

Big thanks Mr S as always.

Guest Kerchak

I wonder if Tom has any pictures he took of the location that he can share with us? That would be great. Of course I totally understand if he'd rather not.

Just a question. Has anyone actually pinned down when, during the summer of 1924, the Ostman account is supposed to have taken place?

HMS Hood did a round the world tour in 1923/24 calling in at various ports, including in countries which had fought together in the First World War. HMS Hood arrived at Victoria on 21st June 1924 and then at Vancouver on 25th June 1924. She departed for San Francisco on 5th July 1924 and thus would only have been in Canadian waters for 2 weeks in the summer of 1924.

http://hmshood.com/h...ruise/index.htm

Good info. I thought she was in port at Vancouver for longer than that. but only a week? That makes it less likely she was there when Albert s steamer came in.

Thomas Steenburg

I wonder if Tom has any pictures he took of the location that he can share with us? That would be great. Of course I totally understand if he'd rather not.

yep I do but they are 35mm, and I do not have a scanner, but I will figure something out.

Thomas Steenburg

Guest Kerchak

^

Really? Great, Thomas. That would be super if you can figure something out. I'll look forward to that.

Yes seems like HMS Hood was only there off Vancouver for a short time in late June/early July 1924.

Edited by Kerchak

Oh yeah it's brilliant.

Hats off to Mr S for giving his time doing so, and on lots of his other investigations that he does, and then shares with us.

Big thanks Mr S as always.

One interesting point I forgot to mention in my post. I think it is significant. You will recall that Albert said the old Indian Gentleman whom took him to the head of toba Inlet was telling various stories of the area as they were making their way in. And he told Albert about a man who would run out of money, go back into the wilderness for a few days and come back out with a bag of gold and live off that, till he ran out again at which time he would again go into the woods and return with another bag of gold. Then one day the man did not return and was never heard from again and many of the Indians said the Sasquatch probably got him, and this was the first time Albert had heard the term Sasquatch asking the old Indian questions. Well the term Sasquatch was not coined till J.W.Burns article appeared in Mac leans Magazine on April 1st 1929! Yet Albert Ostman is telling how he heard the name 5 years before? Remember the name Sasquatch was a mispronounced term J.W Burns learned from the Chehalis people on their reserve while he worked there as a school teacher and Indian agent during the late 1920s. Until his 1929 article the name Sasquatch had never been used to describe this creature in Canada. Just like before 1958 the term Bigfoot was unknown in the U.S.

Thomas Steenburg

I've heard of tobacco but never MJ. Source?

The same native American I've been talking to who claims to have a tribe of them living handy to his residence--near Gettysburg, PA. The man seems crazy, I'll admit, but sometimes it's the crazies who actually turn out to be right.

I can't let it go without saying he gave us some kind of herbal tea that helped my wife's thyroid problems to go away.

Edited by AaronD

SSR Team

I completely understand your reservations in that Thomas but i don't think that's a major.

If we are to believe the account, or even parts of it, then the conversation that he allegedly had with that Indian would have been about Sasquatch " something ".

That " something " is what we now call " Sasquatches " and that something is also what was called " Sasquatches " when he re told the story in the late 50's.

I don't really see a problem with him referring to Sasquatches, in the 50's, when the word was used in the context of those Animals then.

Lastly Thomas, do you know what they would have been referred to prior to the late 1920's then and that Magazine article you referenced ?

SSR Team

Wiki has him dying in 1975.

Just out of curiosity though, what relevance does when he died have to any of this ?

I completely understand your reservations in that Thomas but i don't think that's a major.

If we are to believe the account, or even parts of it, then the conversation that he allegedly had with that Indian would have been about Sasquatch " something ".

That " something " is what we now call " Sasquatches " and that something is also what was called " Sasquatches " when he re told the story in the late 50's.

I don't really see a problem with him referring to Sasquatches, in the 50's, when the word was used in the context of those Animals then.

Lastly Thomas, do you know what they would have been referred to prior to the late 1920's then and that Magazine article you referenced ?

Yes I never thought it was to major a point but in his original writing in the scribbler Albert does write that the old Indian Gentleman does use the name Sasquatch when referring to the creatures. But it is possible that he was using the term well after it had become the main term in Canada for both native and non native people. However the written account by Albert was not done for John or Rene, he had already written it all down sometime before but alas we do not know when? Other names for this creature used before the term Sasquatch became common place on the west coast of Canada are many. In the area of Toba my bet would have been Dsonoqua, or Bukwas. On Vancouver Island the "Mowgli" was always used when such creatures were being described. But that name as well fell by the way side as the term Sasquatch became popular. In J.W Burns Article of 1929, 'Introducing B.Cs. Hairy Giants' the only other term other than Sasquatch used was, 'Wild people'.

Thomas Steenburg

SSR Team

Cool, thanks Thomas.

I actually watched " The Jungle Book " yesterday with the little one so " Mowgli " obviously peaked my curiosity when you mentioned it, those Jungle Books were written in the 1890's.

Mowgli in case you didn't know, was a Jungle Boy, a Boy born and raised in the wild ( although fictional )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mowgli

I wonder if that, especially where VI is concerned, it's the English ( British ) influence kicking in as Kipling who was the author of the Jungle Books, was an Englishman born and raised in British India ??

& here are the Mowgli's of Canada.. ;)

http://www.sott.net/...s-Early-1900-s-

Edited by BobbyO

Wiki has him dying in 1975.

Just out of curiosity though, what relevance does when he died have to any of this ?

Twas, just out of curiousity ;)

Edited by AaronD

I read once that during that time there was a story out of Europe somewhere that was a lot like Albert's. The thinking was, he read it and copied it to make it his own. I'm sorry I don't know where I read it but it was in a bf forum. As well, if these bf could weave a mat as mentioned in the account, in my opinion bf would have tools and probably fire. Consequently I don't believe the story.

t.

SSR Team

For every description that people have doubts over, there are lots that i struggle to see can be made up from an over active imagination in the 1950's hence why i believe that Ostman did in fact have a pretty cool/scary/intense experience with Sasquatches even if maybe possibly some of it is incorrect and maybe exagerrated, which i also believe it to be.

Edited by BobbyO