Operation Persistence

Wonder if the group has ever tried doing bait and switch techniques, e.g. one person in full camo/ghillie drops into cover while the rest continue moving.

Person in cover observes for 'followers'.

I wonder... ;)

Guest poignant

You're all clever people with many former military. Why am I not surprised? :)

Could you elaborate on section movement techniques and what has been tried and the results?

Our assumption is they are arrayed through the valley and that, like gorillas, some of them play a sentry role on the fringes of the group to ensure they don't have anything sneaking up on them.

So you think they are confined to one valley? or do they travel to other areas?

This must be a tiny population if it has gone undiscovered for so long.

If they are confined to one valley, and you know they are there, have you thought about having one huge encirclement strategy? It would be impossible to not get a shot at one if you did that.

You're all clever people with many former military. Why am I not surprised? :)

Could you elaborate on section movement techniques and what has been tried and the results?

It is an old Leopard hunting trick as well. 5 people go into a blind, only three leave the area. Leopards can't count, but they can determine when the people leave.

No results yet, though we've had some unintentional experiences (such as Daryl's sighting of the grey individual) as a result of doing the "drop and wait" thing. We experimented with some other things like that on purpose and I would expect we'll be trying more things like it in the future. That's as much as I'd say at the moment.

So you think they are confined to one valley? or do they travel to other areas?

No idea. Would love to know that!

This must be a tiny population if it has gone undiscovered for so long.

The property owners have known about them for years. The population may be small (though what defines "small"?), but also, the area is quite remote.

If they are confined to one valley, and you know they are there, have you thought about having one huge encirclement strategy? It would be impossible to not get a shot at one if you did that.

We've tried various things like that, though our scale is limited by the number of investigators we can get on-site at one time.

Edited by bipto

Oh yes, they are amazingly fast. Plus, the terrain is tough to run on for us even over level ground. I did that once. I expected a twisted ankle or broken bone at any moment. The creek is mostly roundish boulders that shift under foot and the foliage is filled with thorny vines. No running sport would have ever been invented is the entire world was like this place.

Have the majority of your encounters (your as in the group, not you personally) been by chance or by design? If by design your design or theirs? Basically I'm trying to figure out if you guys have actually managed to get the drop on them unexpectedly or if the sasquatch you've observed have always been aware they are being observed at the time.

-KW

No, they have not always been aware. I'm pretty sure the two that were witnessed by the team I was in didn't know we were there until we saw them. Also, Daryl's sighting implied the animal didn't know he was there. There are other examples of sightings that would imply the same thing. I can't estimate percentages of encounters that happened on their terms or ours, but it's very clear to us that they don't keep track of people all that well if they can't keep a line of sight on them.

Edited by bipto

I think your standardized thinking of "they are just animals" is a flawed assumption. You feel their "language" is nothing more than mimicry, and parts of it could, and probably are. However, for them to successfully elude you as well as they do, I think there is more advanced communication there than you give them credit for. To make a statement like early settlers would have eradicated them is kind of off the mark, considering we cant even get near them, or kill one, with modern weapons and techniques. You feel their vision is extraordinary, but consider their hearing within "typical" primate range. Your right about primates can be very smart, we are primates, we are just animals as well. I missed the answer to the result of the blood sample?

I have some suggestions Bipto, if you want to discuss them, and some idea's, and few other examples of other peoples interesting results. Just pm me if you want, and we will exchange e-mails. I am totally against killing one, but if your results are getting you this close, you should not need to.

In your opinion, what techniques have been the most successful at catching them unaware? You mention you think their strongest sense is sight, and not tracking humans that well without it, would that imply then in your opinion that the idea of them having super smelling or hearing is incorrect?

-KW

...for them to successfully elude you as well as they do, I think there is more advanced communication there than you give them credit for.

So you're suggesting gorillas and chimps have a secret language they use to avoid detection by humans in the African jungle, I presume.

To make a statement like early settlers would have eradicated them is kind of off the mark, considering we cant even get near them, or kill one, with modern weapons and techniques.

I made that statement in relation to the idea that they might have violent intentions towards people. If they were a threat to us, they would have been dealt with by us a long time ago. I don't think they are, by nature, a threat and that's one of the reasons they've been able to stay hidden.

You feel their vision is extraordinary, but consider their hearing within "typical" primate range.

Based on our observations. I'm unaware of anything that would suggest they have superhuman hearing but we have observed them moving easily in near total darkness.

Your right about primates can be very smart, we are primates, we are just animals as well.

All animals are not created equally.

I missed the answer to the result of the blood sample?

There is nothing new to report. We are waiting for results.

Edited by bipto

Guest poignant

Drew:

I wouldn't try to outrun one. These things are built for rugged terrain. I did some math based on a reported sighting of two individuals running uphill. These beasts can put out easily over 10 times the amount of power an elite human athlete can. Their joints and muscles are probably built to withstand the twists and shock.

Bipto:

I really hope you guys get clear footage of Old Grey. Does everyone get a GoPro i.e. POV camera? That might come in useful. Also, for the loud crash against the side of the cabin, do you think it might have been from one of them doing a double drop kick? :D