The Falcon Project - Launching Spring '2015

Cotter

BFF Patron

At present aircraft are required to maintain 2000 altitude above the ground over National Parks, National Monuments, designated coastal wildlife and bird refuges, and designated wilderness areas.   Restrictions over National Forests are the same as all other terrain and it prohibits operations within 500 feet of people, structures,  and other obvious signs of human presence in uninhabited areas.   1000 feet is required over populated areas.        If the normal altitude of the Falcon flights is 4000, there is not a problem with most FAA restrictions and any sort of ground permit requirements would only be applicable to the controlling vehicle on the ground. 

BFF Patron

Nathan, I am not sure I understand what you mean by this.  Being involved in a scientific endeavor from a out-of-state university does not release the project from having the proper permits to occupy and use federal or state lands. If this project will be held on National Park, National Forest or Bureau of Land Management lands, a Special Use Permit will likely be required. For example, no one can camp on FS lands for more than 14 consecutive days without a permit. I guarantee operating an air ship over a National Park or Forest will require a permit on top of whatever the FAA wants.

Yes, I was wondering if they were focusing on private or state lands in particular because of all these caveats and orchestrations required. 

Edited by bipedalist

I think that they will all have permits via their local states, however those rights carry over will be in effect,

and whatever overriding laws that exist on public lands will have to be observed, complicated is the word.

but old standard might be employed where hand guns are not permitted, such as bear repellent, and taze

technologies. I mean you could probably not even carry side arms and be safe, you just have to read the

signs and the animals behavior if confronted. Most cases could end without conflict for sure.

Edited by Lake County Bigfooot

All permits are Forest or Park specific.  There are no state-wide permits.  They will need a SUP to operate on any federal or state lands. If they are only on private lands, then only the FAA may apply.

Sorry Hairyman I was talking about self protection, the flight permits are a completely different story. My understanding

is a COA and permission from the regional supervisor are required, then submission of flight plans if that permission is

granted.

BFF Patron

I think that they will all have permits via their local states, however those rights carry over will be in effect,

and whatever overriding laws that exist on public lands will have to be observed, complicated is the word.

but old standard might be employed where hand guns are not permitted, such as bear repellent, and taze

technologies. I mean you could probably not even carry side arms and be safe, you just have to read the

signs and the animals behavior if confronted. Most cases could end without conflict for sure.

I believe HairyMan's strict interpretation in regard to any federal land is more likely to apply than a broad brush stroke state-wide thru permit.  

I will agree with you re: there is no way this will not be complicated. 

Edited by bipedalist

Nathan, I am not sure I understand what you mean by this.  Being involved in a scientific endeavor from a out-of-state university does not release the project from having the proper permits to occupy and use federal or state lands. If this project will be held on National Park, National Forest or Bureau of Land Management lands, a Special Use Permit will likely be required. For example, no one can camp on FS lands for more than 14 consecutive days without a permit. I guarantee operating an air ship over a National Park or Forest will require a permit on top of whatever the FAA wants.

William told several things in our last phone discussion related to area use permissions but I am at a loss on the specifics on how he has gotten to this point. If I recall and understand correctly he has been in contact with the FAA and some office for land use.

Forgive me if there is any error as there has been so much information coming in that keeping everything straight has been a challenge for me lately as I have been 72 hour work weeks on the night shift for the past few months while getting these project related calls during the day ( the time I would normally be sleeping ).

He is easy to get ahold of via phone or email if you would like to hear his words exactly on the matter,

Specifics are a bit important.

Yes, I suppose they are for the project managers.

I am on the ground team, my job is to collect and record field data in a scientific manner.

• Upvote 2

Guest Suesquach

Best of luck Nathan! I hope while you're in the field you will keep us updated on this amazing adventure.

Yes, I suppose they are for the project managers.

I am on the ground team, my job is to collect and record field data in a scientific manner.

Will you have a laptop with cellular service to upload your data on a daily or weekly basis?

What kind of field data are you going to collect?

Sounds?  Night vision recordings? Number of black bears in the area?  What if you get to your spot and there just aint any Bigfoots?  Will you be able to move?

What if you contract a waterborne intestinal parasite, is there an extraction protocol? Dehydration works quickly, how fast are they promising to be able to get you out of there?

Also Nathan, I'm a Michigan guy too, so I don't want anything to happen.  I know you are fired up about this opportunity, but, as we all know, when we are totally Gung Ho about something, having someone to bounce ideas is helpful so we don't forget to ask the right questions.

Here are a few more:

* Has the project given you assurances that the other participants are psychologically/emotionally fit to be supporting you in the field?  While you may be fine with weeks alone in the field, what if the next person in the chain isn't?  Will they be testing people before sending them out?  It seems too late, since they've already announced the team.

* What if you slip and break your ankle? Will there be any insurance covering you?  Will you be employees of ISU? or Employees of The Falcon/Skywatch project?

* If there should be any form of lawsuit disseminating from the activities, even if it is frivolous, EXAMPLE: USFS decides you have broken a law, (even though you may not have) and they charge you with a Firearm crime, whether it be correct or not , will you have a legal defense in place?  

* Does it concern you that the Blimp manufacturer's website is down, their phone is not in service, and they don't answer emails?  Have you been given any explanation regarding this?

* Is Idaho State University providing any of the above security?  If they are, what have you been shown that tells you that this is the case?

* Barnes said the airship's pricetag is $310,000.00 he has thus far raised $16,000.00, if there is no blimp, will you still be willing to go out in the field to do this?

BFF Patron

Drew asks some very good questions.      Given the fund raising and the length of time this project has been in progress, unless they get a big donor, it will take years to get the money if they ever do.    Personally I think it all needs to be scaled down, to a smaller blimp, and plan on operating at lower altitudes.     Associated with blimps is that they need to be hangared when the winds are blowing and in bad weather.     Where to you put a 40 something foot blimp to keep it from being ripped apart in strong winds?    Something that would fit in a covered utility trailer would be a lot more manageable.   

Based upon the above commentary, this project seems long on hot air but short on the other items necessary.

• Upvote 1

^^^

Excellent questions from Drew.   From member emotional states to parasites.  Smaller than a member, but little things may eat you up: ticks, fleas, flies, flying stinging insects.  Your selection of repellents will have a toxicity factor. Jungle rot on your feet can take you out of action.

Food can be a huge factor. Are you going to get MRE's?  Where is your water coming from?