Minnesota Howls-23 Minutes

Northern Lights

Guest thermalman

I would like to thank everyone for the posts and comments on the recordings. I think it's absolutely fantastic to hear the opinions throughout the forum.

I will admit that I'm more than biased in my opinions on this subject due to knowing the individuals who collected and analyzed the recordings. Personally I enjoy listening to audio because as I'm listening, I'm back at that location in my mind and visualizing what is going on. I have a recording done a couple of weeks ago at a location that has had lots of sasquatch encounters and I can hear something walk directly up to the recorder and walk away. It sounds bipedal and I can feel my heart race as I'm listening, like I right there. My recorder was in my car and everyone on the trip was well over a mile away at the time.

Fun stuff. Keep it coming. Thanks

Are you gonna post your audio of the event? It would be interesting to hear the footsteps. :)

Short answer is yes, eventually. I can't get the software to launch so I can download it to my computer. The file is over 7 hours long, so I need to be able to cut it up. I've got an Olympus VN-4100PC but the executable from their site isn't launching. I need to contact Olympus support. It will get there, hopefully soon.

Use Audacity its free. Second, once it is plugged into your MAC or PC, Browse to the "added" device and go into the folder and copy and paste to desktop, or another folder. Then open Audacity and file--open. No need to wait for the digital recorder company.

Audacity has more tools than Olympus software. You can cut, paste, amplify etc... Drag and drop cut selections into new audio in a matter of seconds.

Edited by BadVooDoo

For folks still having difficulty envisioning "different" sounds coming from a canine, maybe you've had experience with felines: Imagine your cat begging for food in the morning. Now imagine your cat when the Veterinary Technician removes her from her cat carrier. Does your cat sound like two entirely different species in those situations? Does one "species" sound like a cat and the other like a 600-lb sabre-toothed tiger that is pinned against a rock shelf by 10 Neanderthals poking it with their spears?

I'm a choral singer too, so I get the chest voice/head voice range we hear in the recordings. It's cool, but there's nothing here out of the ordinary capability of canines.

. Cool stuff. Sometimes dogs can sound like primates, and vice versa.

Northern lights....I have the exact same recorder and I have no idea how to download the files in order to share them with others. I was able to put them in a file on my laptop, but from there I am lost. My files are smaller because I used to voice activation feature so they are only about 1-5mins each. If you or anyone else can give me an idea how I can share them, please PM me with the info.

As far as these recordings being made by a canine, there have been enough studies done on wolves that similar howls should be available for comparison. Some audio sounds are very difficult to identify like the slapping sounds on this recording and what we think we hear can be something totally different. Have you or your friend went back to this area to look for other evidence or done more recording?

It may not be a bad idea to send one of the more unusual howls to someone who studies wolves and ask them if this is something that a wolf may be capable of doing. I certainly have not heard a wolf or dog make similar howls.

Thank you for sharing these recordings with us.

Bad voodoo...I just saw your post above mine and thank you for the info. I will play around with it, but I am not very good with computer stuff but will try it.

Edited by UPs

Guest thermalman

For folks still having difficulty envisioning "different" sounds coming from a canine, maybe you've had experience with felines: Imagine your cat begging for food in the morning. Now imagine your cat when the Veterinary Technician removes her from her cat carrier. Does your cat sound like two entirely different species in those situations? Does one "species" sound like a cat and the other like a 600-lb sabre-toothed tiger that is pinned against a rock shelf by 10 Neanderthals poking it with their spears?

I'm a choral singer too, so I get the chest voice/head voice range we hear in the recordings. It's cool, but there's nothing here out of the ordinary capability of canines.

. Cool stuff. Sometimes dogs can sound like primates, and vice versa.

Sounds like you're comparing cats & dogs? Not a very good comparison, IMO. :)

Bad voodoo...I just saw your post above mine and thank you for the info. I will play around with it, but I am not very good with computer stuff but will try it.

Audacity has hundreds of plugins. The basic one you may need is the MP3 LAME converter and follow the directions on how to install. Not complicated, copy paste into a few folders. Then restart Audacity

Here is the link http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/windows

I certainly have not heard a wolf or dog make similar howls.

Post #27 of this thread includes video of dogs making low, mournful, guttural howls and higher sounds too. Are these sounds exactly what we hear on the recording from Minnesota? No, of course not, but the similarities should leave people considering canines (probably wolves) as by far the most likely source of the sounds.

Audacity has hundreds of plugins. The basic one you may need is the MP3 LAME converter and follow the directions on how to install. Not complicated, copy paste into a few folders. Then restart Audacity

Here is the link http://audacity.sour...ownload/windows

Ugh, no luck. Thanks for the advice. Will continue to try and work through it.

Plug in the device to the PC/MAC, power it on. Open My Computer and you should see the device. Do you see the device? ok, now browse the folders on the device. The device should have some folders, A,B,C,D folders. Typically the recordings are in the A folder, unless you chose a different one. Copy the WMA files to your desktop. Install Audacity, open Audacity, File--Open, select the file and then listen. Where are you stuck? The MP3 plugin portion is to export the file.

Heck, even Windows Media player can play them.

Edited by BadVooDoo

Guest wudewasa

Northern Lights, I appreciate your objectivity with these recordings. It's refreshing, as too many people jump to conclusions that everything encountered in the field can be attributed to a sasquatch.

It's plugged in, I look at the device and it's blinking "pc" but for some reason, the computer isn't recognizing it. I can see it when I go to Computer and devices, but right clicking only allows me to see properties which tells me the "device is working properly" No folders or files are there.

Frustrating because this should be easy and I'm not a total clod about this type of stuff, but this one isn't working too well for me.

Northern Lights, I appreciate your objectivity with these recordings. It's refreshing, as too many people jump to conclusions that everything encountered in the field can be attributed to a sasquatch.

I would love to be able to say "yep, that's a Sasquatch, no doubt about it. Ketchum, Meldrum Moneymaker, you can all quit looking because I've got it" but that's just not the case. It's a good recording in a location that has had activity and is compelling. Fun to listen to and fun to talk about, but proof, no.

The perspective of others is key to working through what is out there and letting the individual decide what is good and what is garbage. This field has lots of garbage, so we all end up walking cautiously.

It sounds bipedal and I can feel my heart race as I'm listening, like I right there.

Have you heard the one of the quadrapedal "something" running across a bridge with the recorder underneath and totally breathing like a freight train??? THAT one gives me shivers.

We should compare these howls to the recordings from Tahoe, California, Colorado, and others, to see if there are similarities.

I think the deep bass and length of the howls makes it hard to be canine. I'd still like to compare to other recordings.

Edited by TD-40