Minnesota Howls-23 Minutes

Northern Lights

BFF Patron

Did you hear me talk about train whistles and distortion, or are you just ignoring that?

What evidence is there that there is not distortion. Did you care to read the early posts?

Talking about frustration, geesh, hair trigger there or what?

Did you hear me talk about train whistles and distortion, or are you just ignoring that?

What evidence is there that there is not distortion. Did you care to read the early posts?

Talking about frustration, geesh, hair trigger there or what?

And off we go again, eating our own young. Cool!

Your opinion. All it is.

Geesh, hair trigger there, or what?

BFF Patron

Right, thanks for helping me to make the decision that you can be safely ignored now.

Oh, that's right, I already had you on ignore, silly me. :lolu:

"Good day, sir" is sometimes the best response. I use it for Ben Radford, too.

Geesh, hair trigger there, or what?

Edited by DWA

Guest SquatchinNY

Just listened to this for the first time. Those sounds are extremely creepy, and wierd. Andy, when you get on, shoot me a PM, will ya?

And about the file being slowed down, unless he only slowed down the howls, I don"t think so, because the tree snap earlier in the recording would've been un-natural if the recording was slowed. It sounded fine to me (the snap(.

Guest FootDude

The train whistles don't sound natural to me. They sound somehow distorted, describe it how you want. Go back and record another set of train whistles then, what's so difficult with that? I'd suggest that before telling a long time member with expertise that they are grasping at straws?!

Listen to the background wolf/coyote/dog howls.

They all seem natural in timbre.

If the recording was being played back or initially recorded at the wrong speed then all the sounds would be distorted.

Edited by FootDude

Listen to the background wolf/coyote/dog howls.

They all seem natural in timbre.

If the recording was being played back or initially recorded at the wrong speed then all the sounds would be distorted.

This gets today's "Thanks for Stating What Should Be Obvious But Doesn't Seem To Be..." award.

This is just dueling opinions. Given that no one knows what the centerpiece howls should actually sound like, as no community consensus is possible at this point on what a bigfoot sounds like, doing anything with this recording, absent clear cues that it shouldn't be taken seriously, seems premature.

The Chehalis Sounds were coyotes. I'd have the laugh of my life if we re-engineered these in our minds to be wolves...and followup research confirms sasquatch.

Edited by DWA

Still waiting for any further recordings from the area. Other howls have allegedly been recorded, so let's see what the researchers call wolf or coyote howls, then we can compare those. I guess Mike doesn't have any more recordings?

I'll talk to Jim and see what else they have. The problem though is that the original was recorded before the trees leafed out, so the audio could be affected by that. They do plan on repeating the recordings this sprint and we will certainly serve what we get.

Andy

(Mono is fine, by the way.)

Mono is more than fine, he is fantastic. He just pointed out some additional analysis he did on these howls and posted them to YouTube. Absolutely a must see if you are interested in this thread. Currently only 300+ views so not many have looked this over. I would highly suggest taking a look.

Absolutely agree about Mono. He has assisted me more than once, and shown me some enlightening methods.. and introduced me to a great freeware program (Sonic Visualizer).. to help get the most info out of my audio recordings.

Edited by imonacan

Guest FootDude

Mono is more than fine, he is fantastic. He just pointed out some additional analysis he did on these howls and posted them to YouTube. Absolutely a must see if you are interested in this thread. Currently only 300+ views so not many have looked this over. I would highly suggest taking a look.

Nicely done.

Only mis-identification was calling a barred owl 'hoot' a Sasquatch 'whoop'.

Those have way too much volume for wolves, if this recording is what a listener would have heard.

And whatever you want to call those "vowel shifts," canids don't do that.

Edited by DWA

Guest thermalman

Excellent work. Results will eventually speak for themselves. :thumbsup:

Beat me to it! :)