Using Robert Morgan's Methods For An Encounter

Guest zenmonkey

Finished reading the book. Not a bad read not so sure I gained a lot from it, but you can learn anything everywhere you go!

I'm glad I started this thread. Robert Morgans book, for me, gave me structure and basically narrowed down my search area considerably. I NEVER would have gone where I did or used the techniques I did. He taught me to narrow my search. I had crystal clear wood knocks, barefoot prints in ice, and some tree twists and trail blocking and arches. All documented. But I only went there 2 times!! That's the Morgan difference. I know other researchers who have gone out for several years and barely have anything to show for it. Robert Morgan gave me the secret key to the kingdom if you will. I thank him.

kearnsey64 First of all it it is great to meet others who have followed Morgans guide and had great results. Morgans guide was the best book I have ever read or owned and I really believe that following his guide has helped me get closer.

To those who have done the classic techniques and put up game cams { myself as well } and have had little to no results >>> This book is short, simple and easy to grasp and if you follow this book word for word you will end up in great spot and it maybe only a matter of time before you have your first encounter. This book is about finding where they are and how to get their attention on you.

That is a great story. My BF video taken the first trip, and applied Morgan's method too...same thing yeah. The interesting thing is, it worked in the same spot for five years. To a point, my personal courage I suppose. This summer I am not going to apply it right away. I promised myself to sit quiet and tight first in new area, and see if I can discover w/o being discovered discovering! If not, I'll use his again.

Edited by apehuman

I just read his book- but he did not cover one thing and so I am wondering if anyone here has some input.

He has you mark up sightings on a map to find a good location, but what if you have already had an encounter? Does that mean that that spot is good to try again? The reason I ask is I have got the idea that he thinks (and his guess is as good as anyone's) that they are nomadic or semi-nomadic. So it may be that my previous encounter was when they were passing through. That area, BTW, does not have a sighting record of anything nearby, though there are reports about 20 miles away, and some to the west (but across the Mississippi River) that are considerably closer. Maybe BF does not see rivers as the same barriers that we do....

I think BFs see rivers as highways..

if it's convenient go back to where you had an encounter!

If you are thinking about the long haul look for the closest and most comfortable/beautiful place to go b/c you will be going a lot! Good luck.

Although i did apply his method in large part, I also applied my take on things and shifted as suited my needs. I think at the time...2008 it was important book b/c it advocated treating them with more respect and expectation they will come round and are more human like than ape like..

Edited by apehuman

snapback.pngapehuman, on 13 April 2013 - 10:48 AM, said:

BobbyO I think it terms of how applied my best answer is to read what I wrote in Habituating thread.. Some of the information Morgan presents is very practical, and includes conventional BF wisdom, but primarily it is known for it's recommendations to a researcher to invite interaction via food/music/interesting and non-threatening behaviors. A modified Goodall approach perhaps.. a habituation approach...sorry so many associate that word with something other than a method..anyway..

Where that takes one, and how they document the encounters is right in line with most attempts to gather evidence and maybe a little more careful with respect to one area one group of BFs... I do think the "faith" part is true of any BF enthusiast . as for anyone who goes looking based on the witness of others, whoever they are...

and in that...yes, faith is required to get past the feeling extremely stupid..until you don't...and then...well, those stories abound..although they too reach this limit all seem to reach..maybe just faster!

Norseman said: I call this the Bobo approach.

See, that LAST thing I got out of his book was the "be at one with nature and nature shall bless you, or the "Bobo do something crazy approach", lol. I think his guide is anything BUT a woowoo approach. If you are paying attention, his first recommendations ALL have to do with habitat - food, water, cover - very practical recommendations. Moving on from there, he recommends doing a LOT of research to see what has been recorded where - in other words, if your area meets the requirements for food/water/cover, are there any recent or historical reports in the area where you are wanting to look. Then he goes into telling you what to take with you - practical hiking advice for anyone in the great outdoors. And only then does he tell you about being a calm, relaxed mellow person doing something that they might find interesting to watch for a period of time... which again, makes a lot of sense. Typical campers are pretty boring.... if you want to get their attention presumably, then do something interesting. That's all he's saying.

Don't sell the book short. Especially if you haven't read it. If the whole "don't act like a typical camper" stuff puts you off, then act like a typical camper or hunter - it'll reduce your chances of encountering one if any are there to be encountered - but do what you want to do. You don't have to dance ballet to Beethoven in the middle of the woods wearing a pink tutu while meditating on world peace to be interesting to watch.

I just read his book- but he did not cover one thing and so I am wondering if anyone here has some input.

He has you mark up sightings on a map to find a good location, but what if you have already had an encounter?

You can apply the same principles to your encounter - did the area wherein you encountered the bigfoot(s) meet the basic requirements? Is there food/water/shelter? Could the area reasonably support several large omnivores (or bear, similar habitat requirements)? Have others had encounters there recently? Can you contact a local researcher to verify this? Is there a history of encounters there? Why? You can go down the check list and see WHY you might have had an encounter and determine why that area was attractive to the bigfoots. Or, when you've looked at everything, is it not likely that they'd stay there.... maybe they were just passing through and you got lucky. Reverse the process and you'll discover why they might be in that area.

I got lucky with my spot.... I ran into them before reading the book and used the book to reason as to why they'd be there.... and it made perfect sense!

Nathan said: I was told by a good friend and fellow researcher ,, look like a hunter and you get treated and viewed as a hunter. ,, I now have no doubt that this is true.

What Nathan said. I don't want to look like a hunter (as if I could, lol) or do anything that might lower my chances of interaction.

Edited by madison5716

You can apply the same principles to your encounter - did the area wherein you encountered the bigfoot(s) meet the basic requirements? Is there food/water/shelter? Could the area reasonably support several large omnivores (or bear, similar habitat requirements)? Have others had encounters there recently? Can you contact a local researcher to verify this? Is there a history of encounters there? Why? You can go down the check list and see WHY you might have had an encounter and determine why that area was attractive to the bigfoots. Or, when you've looked at everything, is it not likely that they'd stay there.... maybe they were just passing through and you got lucky. Reverse the process and you'll discover why they might be in that area.

So far there have been 3 encounters in that area- one I had and two a friend of mine had. I'm starting to think it might be a good area.

• 2 years later...

Hello spacemonkeymafia,

I'll bet there's at least several folks here that still have cassette players.....um....maybe not. Being an older gentleman who loves analogue I still have a Tascam 2002 professional dual cassette that works perfectly and will be transferring my old cassettes onto my CD burner soon for posterity. Anyone remember Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown? Yep, he's going onto CD! If you trust me (which you absolutely can) I'd be happy to make the transfer to CD for you at no charge if you trust the mails to get it to me. I'll make you a copy and send the cassette and CD back to you in a heartbeat. Then you could upload an MP3 here (or with your permission I could) for folks to listen to? Up to you but my offer is good anytime :)

Edited by hiflier

I can vouch for hiflier being a stand up guy who will deliver the goods. I was going to offer the same to SMM but hiflier's Tascam may produce better results. I would love to hear it.

There was a copy that sold on that site for $5 a month or so ago.

Hello Kiwakwe,

Thanks for the vouch. 5 bucks huh? There goes my dream of Sasquatch research paying for my new Mercedes camper ;) Ah well....