• Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

#41 Ilikebluepez

Ilikebluepez

Bukwas

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 11:11 AM

You got me really thinking on this one. First I thought big fat dying rod. But that didn't make sense. Rods are faster and smaller and mostly low frame rate pics of bugs. But I searched around some and came up with this.

This made me think of the underside markings you drew:

This made me think of the locomotive pattern you described:

But overall, this one looked most like the picture you drew. They don't show him swimming, but I assume he moves like the rest of them:

So how the heck a flatworm or a nudibranch gets airborne is anybodies guess. There are loads of species and some of them are more or less transparent.

Closest match I could come up with.

Edit to say closely related new species? Helium huffer? Something that would have to have natural buoyancy with the atmosphere to move like that.

Edited by Ilikebluepez, 27 February 2011 - 11:17 AM.

Tree Hugging Dirt Lover.

#42 megatarsal

megatarsal

Oh Mah

• Inactive
  • 551 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 11:27 AM

cool

Posted Image
Attack The Argument.....Not The Arguer

http://bigfootforums...not-the-arguer/

#43 bipedalist

bipedalist

Sasquatch

• Researcher 1
  • 12,060 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 11:28 AM

Nice vids. Jodie, did you mention pulsations in the red coloration or rhythmicity in anything you witnessed such as some of that in the youtubes?

• Guests

Posted 27 February 2011 - 12:37 PM

Blue Pez- That's the closest thing I could find too to describe the movement, it was a cross between the flat worm and the nudibranch, only not as exaggerated as the nudibranch, and the red connected balls glowed like the insides of that first video. The thing I saw was not as graceful as what was on the video and more jerky. It seemed to fold over on itself at times looking at it head on. Most of what I'm going to draw will be what it looked like heading towards me, the only side view I got was as it headed over the cedar tree towards the river. Then you could see the undulations. It moved like a slug, getting fat and telescoping or like a slinky as it went along heading towards me. Didn't move fast at all at any time, it looked like it was swimming through molasses.

BP- the balls looked brighter as it stretched out while I was underneath it, but as it folded on itself they dimmed because it looked like the membrane hid the glow balls. I didn't see glowing red balls until it was right in front of me and flipped it's edge up, then I stepped out from under the stoop to get a better look and saw it from underneath.

It really looked like a sea creature swimming through the air or some kind of amoeba. Like Blue Pez, if it was organic I imagine it would have to have helium or some kind of lighter than air material inside unless the sparks I saw when it was going up the side of the building indicate some kind of electromagnetic nature that enables it to float......Electric eels and platypus will shock you but I don't think there is any creature known to nature that uses electricity, static or otherwise, that will allow it to stay afloat for as long as this did. I wish I had paid more attention to the heat pumps on the side of the building to know if they clicked on or not, maybe the sparks were related to getting suddenly gusted up if they turned on as it went over them.

I will get a flip pad of that tracing paper Monday and see what I can do with sketching it to sequence the movement. I've been doing sketches of it since I saw it to get the look right.

• Guests

Posted 27 February 2011 - 01:29 PM

Well this is a big old leap, but if there are real creatures like this maybe they do something to maintain the atmosphere just like these jellyfish do to maintain carbon content in the ocean. I guess we can call them air salps.

http://www.scienceda...60702085004.htm

Edited by Jodie, 27 February 2011 - 01:30 PM.

• Guests

Posted 27 February 2011 - 02:13 PM

Here is an interesting take on extraterrestrial life but could apply to something here. Check out the Balloon Plants on Blue moon, click audio, the guy discusses the potential for life to evolve taking water molecules and splitting them utilizing the hydrogen for remaining airborne and releasing the oxygen into the atmosphere.

http://channel.natio...ax/main_fs.html

• Guests

Posted 27 February 2011 - 05:31 PM

Did some reading on static electricity, photosynthesis, and hydrolysis. I guess it is possible something like this could exist naturally here on earth. If it's artificial, it shouldn't be long before we are all driving hydrogen cell cars.

It might also explain it's reflective qualities and why I saw it so well, all the street lamps around here are yellow and things that utilize photosynthesis reflect yellow light.

Edited by Jodie, 27 February 2011 - 05:36 PM.

#48 Ilikebluepez

Ilikebluepez

Bukwas

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 06:09 PM

The plot gets thicker:

Invertebrate
Diet:
Carnivore
Average life span in the wild:
Up to 1 year
Size:
0.25 to 12 in (6 mm to 31 cm)
Weight:
Up to 3.3 lbs (1.5 kg)
Did you know?
Some nudibranchs are solar-powered, storing algae in their outer tissues and living off the sugars produced by the algae’s photosynthesis.

National Geographic.

I can't wait to see your drawings Jodie....I think you might be onto something HUGE here... :D

Apparently some of em use unfired stinger cells from jellyfish they have eaten and squeeze em up to their edges, so they can use the stinger of their dead victim to sting more victims!

I also read that they don't have lungs or gills, that they absorb oxygen directly through their skin! Does that mean you can breath in or out of water?

This whole eat and absorb to use for later thing might be worth looking into. What chemical processes does it take to make a lighter than air gas, any bacteria do it? I wanna tell you to run right out and test your waters, but who knows how far this thing came.

Fascinating creature in any case.
Tree Hugging Dirt Lover.

• Guests

Posted 27 February 2011 - 07:54 PM

Well photosynthesis creates hydrogen, so if the membrane of this thing was photovoltaic in nature it could create hydrogen from water encountered in the atmosphere. However, hydrogen is so flammable, so if this thing throws off sparks well that wouldn't be very practical.

I was looking into Helium I and Helium II, but they only act like superfluids at -473 F. Might work in the stratosphere but not here close to earth.

The only other lighter than air products I know of are artificially created aerogel and SEAgel. They nicknamed it "solid smoke". But it is very brittle.

So it's a quandry unless the thing is able to create an electric charge without igniting itself into a ball of fire. I'll do more reading and give it some more thought on how the membrane might work to do that.

Edited by Jodie, 27 February 2011 - 07:55 PM.

#50 gershake

gershake

Yowie

• Members
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 08:16 AM

I was looking into Helium I and Helium II, but they only act like superfluids at -473 F. Might work in the stratosphere but not here close to earth.

The lowest possible temperature in the universe is -459 °F so I don't think that would work anywhere :D
"Me and my people break bread, sit and smoke, the conversation rich, but that depends on what you consider broke" - Talib Kweli

"a pack of dogs and cigarettes" - Jack White

• Guests

Posted 28 February 2011 - 02:29 PM

The lowest possible temperature in the universe is -459 °F so I don't think that would work anywhere :D

Correction- Helium's melting point is -457.6 F instead of -473 F, not possible in the stratosphere and the moon only gets down to -300F give or take a few degrees. Either way, we can rule out helium as a superfluid as being used in an artificial robot or as a component of a naturally occurring creature.

Edited by Jodie, 28 February 2011 - 02:30 PM.

#52 megatarsal

megatarsal

Oh Mah

• Inactive
  • 551 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 06:25 AM

I had a sample of aerogel once. Very weird stuff. I held it in my hand and could see it, i just couldnt feel it. It was so light.
Jodie, if you can draw it to make a flip cartoon, you could photograph each sketch to make an animated .gif (like spongebob earlier) and put it on Youtube.

#53 gershake

gershake

Yowie

• Members
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 11:32 AM

Jodie, if you can draw it to make a flip cartoon, you could photograph each sketch to make an animated .gif (like spongebob earlier) and put it on Youtube.

Awww man, Spongebob used to be SO good :( Everything from (including) the movie and onwards is really lame IMO, not only because it's not at all funny anymore and the characters are all clichés of theirselves but definitely also because it's computer-animated now.

Sorry for the OT
- Shake

"Me and my people break bread, sit and smoke, the conversation rich, but that depends on what you consider broke" - Talib Kweli

"a pack of dogs and cigarettes" - Jack White

#54 megatarsal

megatarsal

Oh Mah

• Inactive
  • 551 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 01:25 PM

Well, funny you should say and just to continue with your non-thread related trip down memory lane - Tom and Jerry!
the Fred Quimby ones. need i say more?

Posted Image[/img]

• Guests

Posted 01 March 2011 - 03:15 PM

I had a sample of aerogel once. Very weird stuff. I held it in my hand and could see it, i just couldnt feel it. It was so light.

I've got a tracing paper pad, and I'm working on the sketches. I want to try to get it as close as I can to how it looked moving so you can see why I keep saying it didn't move right. It might take me a few more days, but that's what I had in mind, doing a flip animated type thing for everyone.

• Guests

Posted 06 March 2011 - 06:19 AM

My sketches are done. I hit a snag with a malfunctioning camera and low resolution on my cell phone. Treeknocker has agreed to photograph them and put them in an animated video. He is busy so it might be a 2-3 weeks before he gets it together.

My sketches are to the point where I step off the stoop. I used a stationary background and traced the object onto about 49 sheets of tracing paper so you could see how it looked to me. It truly looked like a bag until it got over my car and flipped its edge up so I could glance underneath. It's at that point that I stepped off the stoop to get a better look. If this turns out well, I'll finish the sequence. It is going to require serial backgrounds to accommodate my movement, that will take more time, so I will wait to see how this goes and if there is still an interest.

#57 MarkMc

MarkMc

Yowie

• Members
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 06:53 AM

Well Jodie, I for one am interested in trying to figure out what you saw. Whatever it was is outside my experience and knowledge base, which peaks my interest greatly. Hope you can figure it out.
It seems the harder you try, the behinder you get.- Incorrigible1

• Guests

Posted 06 March 2011 - 03:01 PM

Well Jodie, I for one am interested in trying to figure out what you saw. Whatever it was is outside my experience and knowledge base, which peaks my interest greatly. Hope you can figure it out.

I doubt I will figure out what it is, I mainly want to establish a record of a sighting like this for future reference for anyone else that happens to see something similar. The other similar reports I've found on the internet (less than 10) weren't as close in proximity as mine or were different in a few aspects. I misqouted the city in SC that a similar sighting occurred, it's Gaffney, not Daphney, I misunderstood what the MUFON investigator said so I wanted to clarify that while I had it on my mind.

#59 grayjay

grayjay

Yeti

• Banned
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 11:46 AM

Whatever "it" was I admire you for trying to get to the bottom of it. Most people would have just dismissed it as an "oddity" and forgotten about it.

#60 vilnoori

vilnoori

Yeti

• Inactive
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 12:19 PM

I doubt I will figure out what it is, I mainly want to establish a record of a sighting like this for future reference for anyone else that happens to see something similar. The other similar reports I've found on the internet (less than 10) weren't as close in proximity as mine or were different in a few aspects. I misqouted the city in SC that a similar sighting occurred, it's Gaffney, not Daphney, I misunderstood what the MUFON investigator said so I wanted to clarify that while I had it on my mind.

Do you have links to those accounts, Jodie? I would be interested to read them too.