Habituation-Hearing Footsteps, Walking And Running

I'm near 100% positive I have a Sasquatch habituation on our property and quite regularly hear bipedal footsteps, walking and sometimes running around our home at least 3-4 nights a week. One of the most common areas we hear this is just inside the tree line down the hill in front of our cabin (aprox 30yds away). Just about every night I leave apples at the base of the hill down from our porch and usually by morning they are gone. Occasionally while sitting on our porch (usually around 11pm-1am we will hear footsteps making their way up the hill and pass by right in front of the porch always just within the darkness of the tree line. Usually they'll pass us and go about 30-40 yds past the cabin and make their way back. Sometimes they pace back and forth, sometimes stopping for a few minutes then take off running a little ways then stop. Before you know it they're walking back up toward us again. The whole time it sounds bipedal while hearing limbs snapping and popping underfoot. Sounds just like a person walking, but in complete darkness. I've tried to follow the same trail during the day and just about kill myself stepping over limbs and dodging holes/logs. These guys just seem to float through there with ease in darkness. We do have a security light up the hill that lights up the clearing between the tree line and our porch, but they never come close enough to be seen. Now, last night for the first time I did see what looked like eyeshine twinkle at me from around a tree in the direction I was hearing footsteps for a couple seconds. It was almost like they sent one of them to see if the apple was out there or not and then ran back after seeing it was there. They knew we were out on the porch due to me whistling at them but never seems to scare them off. Has anyone else experienced this behavior? Would love to hear about it and what to possibly expect next. Any ideas?

Guest VioletX

There is so much info. in the Hab thread that is related to this, and I am too inexperienced to give you solid advice. I had my own footsteps experience and it was pretty weird to me.

Since they may be your neighbors I guess it depends on your freak-out level and how well you want to get to know them.

Choose wisely,lol!

I forgot to add that I think Florida Readers advice about not feeding everyday is sound.

Edited by VioletX

BFF Patron

I've recorded bipedal run=bys a sound recorder associated with playing with mics and also snapping, rapping and occasional whoop sounds even. They are not afraid of digital recorders.

I've been wondering about the feeding everyday and how wise that was. That's actually what I've been doing so I wonder how they'll respond if I back off?! Got home this afternoon and had a good look around down in the woods where I've been hearing them. Where I saw the eyeshine last night I found a bunch of snapped off saplings on the other side of the tree. And in another spot further down the tree line I found a spot that looked like something had been siting. There were a few snapped off saplings there too. I put a web cam connected to my laptop out on the porch tonight aimed at where I leave the apples every night. If that apple is gone in the morning I'll definitely be nervous watching that video! I meant to leave a recorder down there too but there's a chance of rain tonight and didn't want to damage the recorder. Been reading the habituation section and totally amazed with the people's stories there. Thanks for the responses!

Would love to hear those recordings Bipedalist!

BFF Patron

Well, I tend to keep them pretty close to the vest since I'm not trying to prove anything and quite a bit of my sharing of Sasquatch audio files turns to the inevitable doesn't prove anything trip down the crapper since I didn't see the Sasquatches make the sounds. So therefore I typically share with a core group of recordists of the phenomenon only. I just post up elements of Sasquatch behavior that I have experienced that to me seems consistent with experiences of others reported here. How often have you had eyeshine experiences at your site and have you seen the eyeglow?

I've been wondering about the feeding everyday and how wise that was. That's actually what I've been doing so I wonder how they'll respond if I back off?! Got home this afternoon and had a good look around down in the woods where I've been hearing them. Where I saw the eyeshine last night I found a bunch of snapped off saplings on the other side of the tree. And in another spot further down the tree line I found a spot that looked like something had been siting. There were a few snapped off saplings there too. I put a web cam connected to my laptop out on the porch tonight aimed at where I leave the apples every night. If that apple is gone in the morning I'll definitely be nervous watching that video! I meant to leave a recorder down there too but there's a chance of rain tonight and didn't want to damage the recorder. Been reading the habituation section and totally amazed with the people's stories there. Thanks for the responses!

It's your call how you want to handle gifting. We usually limit gifting to once every few days and with small amounts of food. Our thinking is that we don't want them to become dependant upon us. I think it is good that you are giving the gifts some distance from the cabin.

Can you confirm they have not thrown anything in your direction, and that they haven't torn up the saplings as a threat display? If neither of these things has happened to you, then you are probably on pretty good terms with your nocturnal neighbors.

What can you expect? Probably nothing bad. The youngsters will come very close to your house. Worst case, they may even get on the roof. Make sure you lock your doors and windows when you aren't around.

Have they left you any gifts in return?

I don't know if feeding them all the time is good....I wouldn't worry about them being dependent on you. It's a sasquatch not a pomeranian. I would worry they might get snappy if you skip a day or stop. I wouldn't want them to be pissed off. But I guess that boat sailed.

Edited by Kings Canyon

You could still break the daily feeding habit, but changing feeding so that you give most items every three days. The other days, you just leave something small. Eventually, you could just give all the gifts every third day. Then you can slowly reduce the amount given to whatever desired.

Bipedalist- Completely understand about the recordings. I have a few myself, but mostly keep them for family and close friends to hear.

I have seen both the eye reflection and glow around our home. I live about 15 minutes from the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and have seen both there also. That's actually where I had my first encounter which by the way was eyeglow. I am a believer in both types eye shine and can definitely tell a difference.

Mostly what I have encountered on our property is the glow. Almost LED like. Usually an aqua blue/green or amber. I haven't seen the red yet in either location.

Florida Reader- Great to hear from you on this post. I've read a lot of your postings on the Habituation board...mind boggling stuff!

The only "throwing" incident we've experienced was this past summer...about 2-3 months after we moved in. While I was at work my wife was out in the driveway with our two small dogs. By this time we were already having a sense "they" were possibly on the property. She thought she heard something up the hill behind her. When she turned around she saw a rock flying across the driveway coming from the direction of the woods up the hill. It wasn't coming at her, but not too far from her.

She said she stood there for a second looking in that direction and then just turned back around acting like she was ignoring it. Nothing else happened after that. She truly amazes me by trying not to show them fear!

The sapling snaps are very odd. They're not very big at all, more so like a small 2-3' sprig. Usually they are snapped off very cleanly about a foot from the ground. Almost like someone used shears. It's always around areas that look like someone has been sitting/sleeping. My theory is maybe they are snapping them off with their fingernails out of boredom while waiting for us to either come out (so they can watch us) or waiting for us to go in (so they can come get the food we leave out). Here are a few pics of some I found behind our house in the woods. They surrounded a small secluded clearing that looked like something or somethings had been hanging out.

http://www.divshare.com/download/22923238-9e3

http://www.divshare.com/download/22923301-25c

http://www.divshare.com/download/22923311-9c3

http://www.divshare.com/download/22923313-0b5

They have left a few gifts over the past year: A turkey feather, a mushroom (pulled up, roots still attached and laying on a stump in the back yard), a couple of rocks and an antique looking snuff can lid! They did bring back our two bird feeders they took this past summer. Found them at the edge of our yard. One had been missing for 4 months and the other had only been gone for a few days. Of course they were empty!

Update on last night- I did leave a webcam attached to my laptop out on our porch last night aimed at an apple I had left out down the hill. You could barely see it due to how dark it was (we do have a security light that helped). Turned out we had a sneaky possum crawl up and carry the apple off in his mouth!

On the other hand, I did have quite an experience last night. We had a campfire out back last night and stayed up pretty late making barred owl calls and just having conversation. It was about 1am when everyone went inside, but I stayed out on the porch for about 30 more minutes listening. Right before Christmas I put out 2 homemade corn feeders. One at each end of the property down the hill from our house. They are basically a 5 gallon bucket with a hole in the bottom and a stick hanging out the hole. When the stick is bumped corn fall out. Both can be seen from the porch during the day through the trees as there are no leaves this time of year. As I was sitting there listening I started hearing movement and a very loud "crunching" sound coming from the direction of one of the feeders. Soon after I started hearing the stick bump against the 5 gallon bucket. We have absolutely NO deer around our home, but yet "something" was eating our corn. A few minutes later I decided to go on inside in case they were waiting on me to leave and in hopes of getting something on video. I took a shower before heading to bed, but decided to walk out on the porch one more time before doing so. It was between 3 and 3:30am. As soon as I quietly stepped outside I heard a rattling and crunching sound coming from where I leave a feeding bucket hanging from our pear tree in the back yard. When I look in that direction it is completely dark except for a small amount of lighting from the security light in the front yard. For about 2 seconds I see the bucket moving around and disappear again. About 10 seconds later the same thing happens again. This happens about 5 times and the whole time I'm hearing crunching, rattling and wrappers "crinkling". Then it hit me... "I always hang that bucket on the "other" side of the tree!" Due to where I was seeing it, either something was holding the bucket or it was floating in mid-air and 8 feet off the ground at that! After about 45 seconds everything got quiet. I wasn't about to go out there and check it out so I waited until this morning.

What I found was an empty bucket that was hanging back where I had originally placed it and two 14" long footprints under the tree. I never did see what was holding the bucket last night, only the actual bucket being held, moved around and all the crunching. The contents of the bucket included peanut brittle some popped microwave popcorn, an apple and some raisins.

Sorry for the long post, but this is all just so amazing to me. Thank goodness for the Bigfoot Forums!

I also meant to say the raisins package was on the ground with most of them still in it. Evidently this one doesn't like raisins.

gcraddock7, it sounds like you and your wife have a pretty good relationship going with your nocturnal visitors. I think you are both doing very well. It's interesting how they brought back your bird feeders. I think they're hoping you'll fill them. I am guessing that the BF are good with you sharing thier land, and they appreciate all the goodies. I have only read a little about your situation, but it sounds like they may not recognize your yard as yours.

Do you have any idea how close they are coming to your house?

Are you planing to take deer there?

I don't really plan on deer hunting here unless we really needed the food. On top of that we haven't seen the first sign of deer around here. Even the neighbors say there aren't any here. Now about 5 miles down the road we've seen deer crossing the road in front of us. The main reason for putting up corn feeders was for the supposed possible bigfoot on the property. Something's definitely been getting into it.

They seem to come fairly close to the house. The back yard incidents we've had are only about 20 yds away. I have a recording off my front porch of some type of whispering in the middle of the night. I have no clue what it's saying though. Sounded Native American?? A couple of times we've heard what sounded like what I can only describe as a "chewbacca moan" outside our bedroom window. Also what sounded (and felt like) something hitting the back corner of the house two different times. This last time it shook the whole cabin. We had been gone out of town for about 5 days during Christmas and had gotten home around midnight. I was bringing our luggage in from the car and my wife and I were standing in the kitchen when it happened. We were both like "what the heck was that?!!" Actually thought maybe someone was in the house. Looked all around inside and out...nothing.

Recommend putting up some kind of visible marker, like a fence of any kind, around your area. Then pee around this fence/marker. Tell them it is okay for them to come inside your area if its important, and you are just letting them know where your area is. I don't know how often you'll have to do this. Probably not often. Since I have done this I haven't had them in my back yard like before. Keep the gifts coming, and I don't think you'll have too much problem with them coming in. That said, they are intelligent, and there is no way of knowing if they will act like my nocturnal neighbors.

Be sure to keep your doors and windows locked at night and when you are not there. I may be repeating myself.

The adults will likely honor your wishes, but the youngsters seem to go all over.

Did they break your bird feeders?

So far it hasn't been a problem with them coming up close. Doesn't really bother me if they do as long as it stays that way. It gets a little creepy sometimes and it's hard to go outside without constantly scanning the woods around us. It's gotten better though over time. They don't seem to be agressive so far. I'm just concerned will that change the more comfortable they get with us.

Have you had a problem with them coming inside your home? We are very sure to lock up whenever we're gone OR there. Even the screen doors on the porch stay locked.

The bird feeders, not broken at all. Actually the one that had been missing for 4 months looked like it wasn't even dirty. It looked like it had been kept somewhere dry and out of the weather. I'll try to post some pics of those here.

I do have some pics of the footprints we took yesterday morning and a video of a footprint I found a week ago. Both are under the bucket we leave in the tree. I have to come into town to use the internet so it may be a few days before I can get the video loaded up to youtube. I'll try to put a couple pics of the footprints up in the next day or so.