Habituation-Hearing Footsteps, Walking And Running

and it sure sounded to me like one of those recordings of a BF, howling in the background several times, did anybody notice or say anything, nope, they just ignored it.

That's something that I've thought about for years! How can all this howling & roaring go on around here for years & years & almost nobody notice it? Do they not hear it? Or do they just shut it out of their minds?

It's not like it's just imagination, because I've recorded hours & hours of it. (See Soundcloud link below.)

What's WRONG with people????

BFF Patron

Simple question Sasfooty: do you ever record things that sound squatchy when you are not physically present in the locale to hear it "live"?

Hmmmm.....

Edited by bipedalist

Lots of post since I looked last, got to catch up! I have to agree with you guys on the footsteps. Unless it's just a couple of steps or they just make a mistake, your not going to hear them unless they are wanting you to. I have had a couple of instances in the national park that I fully believe were to intimidate me or at least test my reaction. Once I had one that sounded like it was coming down a hill straight toward me with VERY loud footsteps. It was abouit 1am so I couldn't see it, but I definately heard it coming! I was at an overlook and had been there about 10 minutes doing calls out over the valley. Needless to say I jumped in the truck and didn't waste any time leaving. So many times I've wished I would have stuck around to see if it would have showed itself, but in that case reflex took over.

I have a couple of recordings from my backyard at night of very light footfalls running across the yard and it just amazes me how something so large can be so quiet!

It's beyond me how so many people can be oblivious to what goes on around them. I think maybe humans as a whole are so caught up in our busy lives that we just don't focus on our surroundings enough. Sometimes I wonder do these guys pick out certain people to reveal themselves to. I've heard some researchers talk of being "marked". I have had a couple of instances when visiting friends on the complete opposite end of the county. While out on their porch late at night I heard very strange " screech owl" calls, heard footsteps and saw eye glow in the woods behind their cabin. When I did some return screech owl calls of my own it was like the woods just came alive. I didn't say anything to them about it. They had never experienced that and have lived there for years. I wouldn't think too much about it, but I've heard other researchers comment about the same type thing. Maybe it's just that we're more noticing of that type of activity now??

At my Research Area B a few friends I took out have heard following footsteps above and below at the same time, the trail I was on was on the side of a hill that degraded into a vast pine swamp { we where out at about midnight with no lights doing or standerd night walk }. I would look down the hill from the trail to the swamp on one side to try and see my follower then the ,,something,, on the top of the hill would draw my attention back up toward it's self by breaking a few small limbs or walking louder, this went back and forthe for about 30 minutes.

We reached a point in the trail where a massive Oak had blew down across the trail so we stopped to quietly discuss what we heard, we stood there for a few minutes and there was no more movement at all. So we decided to head back to camp and started walking, we cam around a bend in the path and found a freshly broken aspen branch across the trail, we had not seen that on the way in and had known that the trail was clear earlier. BUT we passed it off at first as just a fallen branch UNTILL we found 6 more just like it placed across the trail every 100 to 150 feet. At the 4rth branch we all new that we where being toyed with by our followers. My one friend was a complete skeptic that did not believe anything odd or new was out in the Michigan forest, since then he has openly said ,, There is something to this mystery, and I hope I get to see one someday, FROM A DISTANCE !! ,,

Holy cannoli, Nathan! That was a lot of effort those guys went to for you.... I love stories like that, about activity that shows clear mischievousness, versus the kind of activity that leaves you wondering about the intention.... Great story.

• 3 weeks later...

That's something that I've thought about for years! How can all this howling & roaring go on around here for years & years & almost nobody notice it? Do they not hear it? Or do they just shut it out of their minds?

It's not like it's just imagination, because I've recorded hours & hours of it. (See Soundcloud link below.)

What's WRONG with people????

My niece and I heard a distinct growl just a few feet away but the rest of the family were involved in iphone stuff across the deck and did not hear what we heard. It was almost as if it was meant for us only??? Very disturbing and very odd.

Sunflower I think people hear what they want to and see what they want to. I never thought I was going to hear what I have.. & now it doesnt stop and the tracks are coming :). What used to be hard...... I think if you put the time in and communicate with enough nice people who are willing to share odds and ends.. you improve your chances :). Bigtime.

Sasfooty.. round these parts the sounds get attributed to animals that dont even live here, and then stuff like bulls, bears, mountain lions, owls, raccoons, wolves and coyotes. If they dont match that it has to be a person making the sound. Next. So that means.. anything can make any noise it wants and because it cant exist nobody checks it out or if they do its rare and nobody says a thing.... Next.. lol

My niece and I heard a distinct growl just a few feet away but the rest of the family were involved in iphone stuff across the deck and did not hear what we heard. It was almost as if it was meant for us only??? Very disturbing and very odd.

Maybe they were saying hello...........? I've decided my growls (I've only had two) were hellos, because the second one was much softer, after I complained out loud that I'd felt frightened by the first one.....

Well, if it happens again, I'll try to remember what you did and see what happens. I've heard one say "Hey!" and the voice was female sounding but I honestly don't know for sure if it was a female.

That is SOOOO cool, that she (or he) said "hey" to you!!! Sounds like they're excited about connecting with you. A "hey" like that would make me smile for a long time!!!!

• 2 months later...
Guest David37

"My" BF has returned with the Spring season, here in the California Sierra. The dogs went into manic barking last Saturday morning (2AM) at something through the sliding glass door on the deck. By the time I got there it was empty though I had heard what sounded like a couple of soft footsteps and a few board creaks. Next day found a left footprint as though he was leaning left around a tree looking up at the deck. Measured it but couldn't get a good photograph. 14 inches long and 5 inches wide at the heel and toe. The print was about 2 inches deep in the "dirt". I tried pushing with my own weight into the ground but could only get about 1/2 inch compression into the dirt. Today I was able to see the faint prints he made leaving. Moving up the hill and toward more houses. Though it doesn't seem likely, I started wondering if he is sleeping in the day under the mostly empty house decks in this area.  The first summer I thought he was following the deer around here but now it appears he just seems to be going into people's yards and on their porches. I also have heard some strange sounds like two guys whispering and a noise the tree makes when the bark breaks off naturally. This last sound is naturally occuring but it is unusual to hear it when every time you step out on the deck at night first thing.

Wow, David37. Great stories! You also have a wonderfully calm, matter-of-fact way of talking about what you've seen. What a gift, to be able to observe things without getting too fussed about what you're observing.  

That is SOOOO cool, that she (or he) said "hey" to you!!! Sounds like they're excited about connecting with you. A "hey" like that would make me smile for a long time!!!!

Yes, I did smile, all the way back to the house.  If only my friends had heard it too. They had already turned the corner of the house and were out of range.

It's priceless when stuff like that happens and hoping for more.  We'll be out there with salt and mineral discs and other treats very soon.  BTW hubby seems to be a magnet, so he will accompaniy me on our next visit.   Good luck to you as well, just remember the forest is their home and respect it.   We never leave any plastic now just material that will biodegrade.