The Truth About Elbe

Matt Pruitt

Guest WldHrtRnch

The only thing is (as I've said before), there are always newbies drifting through that might take him seriously if someone doesn't stay on top of him.

I'm a newbie and I've never been able to read an entire post of Tontar's, they are just way too long. I can normally read long posts. I'm sure there might be some good stuff in there, but my attention drifts quickly and I just skip it. :unsure:

• Upvote 2

The more I think about it, the more odd that setup sounds Cath. Why would a provider do that? It puts them on the hook for you actions more than the standard setup. If you were doing illegal downloads the source ip would be a Comcast city pod or whatever they might call it, rather than an individual user's connection. That's harder for DMCA folks to track yes, but Comcast must get bombarded with requests for logs. Instead of saying who had IP a.b.c.d at any given time during a download, they have to go to Comcast and say we traced this to your firewall, now tell us who was downloading from your internal network to such and such external location. That is a lot of work on Comcast part.. Why would they do that?

That actually does happen in certain circumstances. That's why they tell people when they buy wi-fi routers to make sure their network is password protected when they set it up. Anyone close enough to pull a clear signal on an unprotected router can use it, and any illegal activity they undertake will look like it came from your computer.

I don't think that's what's happening in this case, but it theoretically can happen.

And with that I think we are done. That is a standard answer when people know they don't have the goods to back up their claims.

And yes mud wrestling does sound fun.

yea you didn't contact comcast when I asked you to prove me wrong so I guess your in the same boat aren't you.

No good answer for you either.

I have explained how it works Sorry you don't believe it but it does. And its 10:00 I have no desire to run out and wake my neighbor up for a test we did when I first discovered this out.

Again with the slams on me.

I am not defending tontor or what ever his name is. But you can't just use IP address alone trace it to someone. MacIP is better since not many people know how to change that.

It can be done but most don't

Again comcast in my area doesn't work like that. we are set up behind Comcasts firewall. My neighbor and me will have the same external IP.

Are you sharing a router? That is the only way you would have the same external IP. You are on a subnet. I used to work for Comshaft. ISP's do not NAT in anyway shape or form for home users. You are not behind a hardware firewall unless your home router has one.

At least someone's trying to keep this interesting LOL!

If this is a geek fight I never want to see this again....you guys are some thread killers...

Coulda used you guys in the RD thread a hundred pages ago!

Plus one. I come here to get away from work not explain things to users over and over again.

yea you didn't contact comcast when I asked you to prove me wrong so I guess your in the same boat aren't you.

No good answer for you either.

I have explained how it works Sorry you don't believe it but it does. And its 10:00 I have no desire to run out and wake my neighbor up for a test we did when I first discovered this out.

Again with the slams on me.

I am not defending tontor or what ever his name is. But you can't just use IP address alone trace it to someone. MacIP is better since not many people know how to change that.

It can be done but most don't

All individual IP are traceable our special crimes unit does it all the time when hunting down the monsters trolling the internet for young victims to assault

Are you sharing a router? That is the only way you would have the same external IP. You are on a subnet. I used to work for Comshaft. ISP's do not NAT in anyway shape or form for home users. You are not behind a hardware firewall unless your home router has one.

In a way we are. but not locally

I sketched this out already but again

Comcast > City/Town 1 (Router has Static IP and set up for private network) > End users modem (Dynamic ip) The Modem gets a new IP depending on the refresh from the Town1 location which is in a BOX on a pole. That then communicates to Comcast and out to the internet.

This is how it is set up. It protects the end users Privacy.

All individual IP are traceable our special crimes unit does it all the time when hunting down the monsters trolling the internet for young victims to assault

yes I know that. But again you need to think of at least my area. Big Office networks for Home users.

Comcast (Town Network1 (IP to world) > House 1, House 2, House 3 ( all seperate private ips) they can trace it because comcast knows Town Network serves House 1, house 2, House3 etc... But if your crime unit geo locates my IP they would end up in the wrong spot if they took the initial trace.

Edited by CathMcmillan

OK, I apologize if this question has already been asked before, I just didn't feel like reading all 158 posts again.

Tontar Did you alone or as a group hoax the Elbe tracks? YES or NO?

If your answer is yes, could you explain why you chose to do so?

Thomas Steenburg

Comcast > City/Town 1 (Router has Static IP and set up for private network) > End users modem (Dynamic ip) The Modem gets a new IP depending on the refresh from the Town1 location which is in a BOX on a pole. That then communicates to Comcast and out to the internet.

What is this BOX on the pole you speak of? What exactly does it do? Can you get us a picture of it?

Admin

Cath, open a command prompt and type:

tracert yahoo.com

post the results. Hopefully that'll end the argument...

Yes, of course Adam. But it's not always a one to one relationship. Sometimes there is more digging and deeper investigation that is required such as ISP logs, etc that law enforcement would have access to that the BFF does not.

Simply put, all I am saying is that it's not always 1 IP =>1 modem => 1 router => 1 end user. So in cases where it's not as simple as that, the IP provides only a starting point for investigation. Anything beyond that would be outside the auspices of the BFF forum logs. That's all.

Edited by dmaker

Admin

Simply put, all I am saying is that it's not always 1 IP =>1 modem => 1 router => 1 end user.

I agree.

Anything beyond that would be outside the auspices of the BFF forum logs.

Just want to make this perfectly clear. The BFRO is using their logs, email headers and who knows what else to make their claims.

The BFF does not divulge member's private information, this includes IP addresses.

Edited by gigantor