What Ever Happened With Justin Smeja's Story?

Guest SoFla

Why would he be afraid of the game warden?  SASSY isn't listed in the hunting regs....for ANY STATE.  Therefore it wouldn't matter to them if he killed one....or a hundred of 'em.  Call any game warden and ask them and after they get done laughing at you, they'll tell you that.  There wouldn't be a **** thing to be afraid of.  He killed something that, up until that day, didn't exist.  What law could they POSSIBLY get him on?  A FRESHMAN law school student could fight that battle and win in about 45 minutes.

Sorry, but not true. Virtually every state in its Wildlife Codes (and the Feds to) somewhere has a provision that ONLY critters with a legally established season, size limit, bag limit, etc) may be "taken" (ie hunted). All other critters are off limits.

If Smeja shot a BF and it came to the attention of F&W in such a way that they could no loger ignore it, they would =have to take action against Smeja. At the bare minimum that would mean confiscation of the specimen.

OK, so if that is true, and that is his reasoning for not packing evidence out with him, why say anything at all?  I'm not saying the story is true or false, but to claim you're afraid of prosecution, and then turn around and brag about shooting it is duplicitous on one statement or the other.  I mean it's a great story, but at this point, even after the biological sample came back as bear meat contaminated with human DNA, that's all it is, a great story with nothing but people saying they believe him as proof.  Has anyone looked into whether the bear steak was injected with human blood in order to try and skew results?  I know it won't work, but the unknowing may give it a try.

• Upvote 2

Mulder -

In California, critters not specifically listed as legal to shoot are protected by default.

In Oregon it's just the opposite.  If it's not Federally protected, and it's not listed as protected or managed (game animal or furbearer with a specific season) it's considered vermin and legal to shoot year around anywhere shooting is legal. 

Other states vary.  I haven't had a need to look into them, but as an Oregon certified hunter's ed instructor, you can bet I do know what Oregon's F&G law says.   Doesn't mean I agree with it, but the law is the law.

MIB

Edited by MIB
  • Upvote 1

Wait a minute.  Are some of you suggesting that a BF recovered the body of the slain animal and replaced it with a chunk of bear?  You say this and want to be taken seriously?  I sometimes wonder if some of the hardcore believers are just trolling those of us on the fence. 

^plussed.

Of all of the 'possibilities' of what took place there, this is pretty far-fetched.

SSR Team

Wait a minute.  Are some of you suggesting that a BF recovered the body of the slain animal and replaced it with a chunk of bear?  You say this and want to be taken seriously?  I sometimes wonder if some of the hardcore believers are just trolling those of us on the fence.

I may have missed it, but he here does anyone even remotely suggest such a thing ?

Like I say, I may have missed it.

Guest SoFla

Update regarding the Oxford-Lausanne Collateral Hominid Project

Posted by: Craig Woolheater on May 13th, 2013

Update regarding the Oxford-Lausanne Collateral Hominid Project from Rhettman Mullis:

bigfootology.jpg

(L to R) Rhettman Mullis, Prof. Bryan Sykes, Bart Cutino, Justin Smeja. Photo courtesy Bigfootology.com

Over a year ago when I first announced this project was happening with Dr. Bryan Sykes and that we were honored to support him in this work, I also stated that there would be a BBC documentary filmed in conjunction with this project and that we were inviting people from all over the world to send in samples for testing. No NDA’s, no sample contracts, just properly conducted science open to the public because that is where honest samples come from, the public.

It has been a tremendous honor for Bigfootology to have supported Dr. Bryan Sykes and this film company in helping all of this to happen and the work is progressing nicely.

A month and a half ago I met with Dr. Bryan Sykes in San Francisco and my family took him on a trip for nearly two weeks showing him Bigfoot country, having him meet other Bigfoot researchers including other Team Bigfootology members which included Ray Crowe. We also attempted to have him connect with Peter Byrne and we did talk by phone but since Peter is in Los Angeles having some medical treatment done Bryan has not been able to meet up with him. I did take Bryan out to a remote location to do some “Bigfooting†and then out to the Lummi and he met some of the great people out there and Bryan took more samples while on scene.

We had to stay fluid in everything we did because some very wonderful unexpected things happen like connecting with the United States Wildlife Forensic lab, and thanks to Bigfootology VP Greg Roberts for letting us know that it was there and it turned into an incredible day of meeting some of the brightest minds in the world when it comes to the various sciences the Bigfoot world needs to validate and substantiate the species and Dr. Bryan Sykes has contracted with them to use their facilities to do the work he needs to do in America. Mr. Goddard and all of the scientists and support personnel were wonderful, hospitable, and taught us a lot, answered questions that have been floating around the Bigfoot world for a very long time. I am grateful for them.

Bryan and my family had a great time and the reason why the Oxford-Lausanne Collateral Hominid Project is not on schedule as originally laid-out is due to the incredible response and the continued supplying of samples that Team Bigfootology have found, and most importantly, samples that many of you have provided for this historic project and that truly is the most important thing, various samples from all over the world with no charge/fees to the public.

So with that, I am pleased to announce that the reception of samples is now closed. The very last sample was handed over yesterday to Bryan and I am very happy to say that it was a large sample provided by Brenda Harris from the New Mexico side of the Navajo Reservation. I am pleased that we have three First Nation tribes involved with this project from the Colville Tribes, the Lummi, and the Navajo, among samples that have come in from all over the world. Thank you to everyone and it is an honor for all of us to be a part of this very historic project with the top genetic scientist in the world, Dr. Bryan Sykes.

To the First Nation people as well, you are all now a part of history of real science. We are honored to have you a part of this, and I was really hoping and pushing for the First Nation’s people to have their part. I have the Lummi and Colville Tribes involved and I am ecstatic about the Navajo tribe being involved who is a tribe I especially love because of my personal history with. So, I thank you, and I pray that this brings honor to the Navajo, as well the same for the Colville Tribes and the Lummi.

We anticipate that the documentary will be out in the mid-Fall, BBC Channel 4, and Bryan anticipates the release of his paper and findings at the same time or soon thereafter, in late October or November, but nothing is written in stone as things still remain flexible because there are so many people and schedules involved. No other samples are being accepted with one exception and that is if there is any undisputable provenance and that can still be petitioned through Bigfootology.

So thank you, all, again for your active support and engagement. Asking about the findings and conclusions at this point is fruitless because we are not privy to that information, and Bryan is also not privy to it yet and will not be until this summer when he writes his paper. So aside from one sample the only people that know anything are his lab technicians who have been running the tests, but due to the controls in place they do not know what they are examining or from where. It is great to work with a professional scientific analysis organization that knows how to maintain the integrity of samples and data. In this way there is no risk of leaking anything by Sykes or myself, or anyone else.

Thank you and we appreciate all of you for staying patient and the answers will come. We live in a very exciting time and we are all honored to be a part of it.

~ Rhettman A. Mullis, Jr., MS, MHP

Who knows maybe Justin being involved with this project and pretty much dismissing Dr Melba's says something about this case...

^^^^ That is quite a photo!  Agreed TimB, kind of lowers him down into the circus a bit.  I can't help but wonder- did he take the boot or leave it there??

I don't see how that has any effect on Sykes. He's looking at all evidence available, as any good scientist should. The results he produces will be what determines how history views him and the study, just as it did with MK.

Edited by Rockape
  • Upvote 1

Guest OntarioSquatch

Yup. Sounds like some excuse to try and discredit Sykes. He's still one of today's greatest geneticists so I don't think he'll start self-publishing fake papers  :)

Just heard Bobo on one of the bf shows from last year. He said his little dog went nuts where Justin said the little one was. Dog started digging etc. going crazy, which is what it does when a squatch is around. Bobo said he things it was real.

Guest Nalajr

People that LIE are GOOD at it.  I would think you all more than most would realize that after the last couple of months and 2008.

Nalajr

No they're not.

People who lie, in general, the majority of the t one, are not very good at it and that's how we know and find out that they're lying.

If people lied were good at it, we wouldn't know they were liars in the first place.

Uh Huh....Take a look at RD's assets and then tell me they're not.  Just because 1 out of 100 people figure out the lie or don't buy the story doesn't mean that they aren't good at lying.  If these people weren't good at lying they'd be around about 15 minutes and be laughed into oblivion, never to be heard from again.

Nalajr

Why would he be afraid of the game warden?  SASSY isn't listed in the hunting regs....for ANY STATE.  Therefore it wouldn't matter to them if he killed one....or a hundred of 'em.  Call any game warden and ask them and after they get done laughing at you, they'll tell you that.  There wouldn't be a **** thing to be afraid of.  He killed something that, up until that day, didn't exist.  What law could they POSSIBLY get him on?  A FRESHMAN law school student could fight that battle and win in about 45 minutes.

Sorry, but not true. Virtually every state in its Wildlife Codes (and the Feds to) somewhere has a provision that ONLY critters with a legally established season, size limit, bag limit, etc) may be "taken" (ie hunted). All other critters are off limits.

If Smeja shot a BF and it came to the attention of F&W in such a way that they could no loger ignore it, they would =have to take action against Smeja. At the bare minimum that would mean confiscation of the specimen.

Call up the California Game and Fish Office and ASK THEM.  Don't bloviate on it here...get a recorder and call them and then post what they say....you can edit out the continuous laughter if you want for the sake of time.

I will **** near guarantee you that they would tell you that you can go out and kill as many of them as you want.

OK, so if that is true, and that is his reasoning for not packing evidence out with him, why say anything at all?  I'm not saying the story is true or false, but to claim you're afraid of prosecution, and then turn around and brag about shooting it is duplicitous on one statement or the other.  I mean it's a great story, but at this point, even after the biological sample came back as bear meat contaminated with human DNA, that's all it is, a great story with nothing but people saying they believe him as proof.  Has anyone looked into whether the bear steak was injected with human blood in order to try and skew results?  I know it won't work, but the unknowing may give it a try.

HUH??  For real?

How many people have you read about or even HEARD about being prosecuted for bragging about a story on the internet?  Do you honestly think that the authorities are going to SWAT team someone for bragging they SHOT and KILLED a SASSY?

Do you think if I started a blog where I bragged about shooting JFK and had all kinds of "details" and "facts" about Nov. 22, 1963 that I should be concerned that I would be arrested by the FUZZ anytime soon?

People that brag and run their mouths about all kinds of garbage on the internet KNOW that they can't be held accountable.  There is a thing called EVIDENCE that's still required in a court of law these days.

^^^^ 

Nalajr, it was their excuse for staying quiet, not mine.  They obviously were concerned about it, or so they claimed.  Whether I think they would send a SWAT team to find them is not relevant, the fact that they did is the point.   Maybe you should digest what you read before jumping to conclusions and posting something in haste with wild suppositions to try and make a point.  Fuzz?  Really, does anyone still use that term?  Sorry, I just didn't feel like using caps to try and emphasize my points, I think you'll get my  meaning.

Edited by BigGinger
To Remove Quoted Content Directly Above