Sierra Sounds....yeah, Again.

Old Dog

Sierra Sounds  

74 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

After my initial encounters on our property in Talbot, Co GA, we had joined a hunting club lease 60 miles to the Northwest. After the encounters we had in Talbot Co, were came to this property and there was no signs initially of the BF people. During our other encounters that led to my son getting chased by one, we had some fear of them because I was a little unsure of their intentions. Although they came up to our camp fire light almost every night and never attempted any harm, they still left us uneasy. The yells and screams and the occasional slap on the sides if our campers were un-nerving. Since I had a 14 year old son, I was a bit afraid for him to be hunting there anymore. So after losing that lease and moving here, I felt much more at ease with no sign of them and no yells or screams at night.

A year and 1 1/2 later my wife and I are in the camper on this new property and I began hearing muffled voices outside. Kind of deep and fast, I couldn't make out words. I first thought someone had drove into camp, possibly another of our club members although none said they were coming down that weekend. I get up slipped on some warm ups and walked to the door. I opened the door and saw nothing. No additional cars or anyone there at all. No one had drove up. I was concerned that someone may have walked into camp, but I also knew how sound could carry in the woods and thought it could possibly been from a farm house down the road. I decided to jut go back to bed. After a few minutes, I began to doze back off and I heard the same sounds again. This time they were much closer and I definitely knew they were just a few feet away. I peeked out the window and still saw nothing. But I could clearly hear the talking and it sounded very much like the samurai chatter that are on the tapes. It stopped abruptly as I said my wife's name. I shook her awake and they kind of made a laughing type sound. I knew then they were here, on this property. This time, I felt no fear whatsoever. My wife asked what was wrong and I simply told her "they are here" and she knew exactly what I meant.

The next day was when I found the "pinned tree" that I have shared before and then the sign of them increased all over the property leading up to some exciting encounters and my wife's first ever sighting of one looking at us from around a tree. This time, I had a new feeling about them. I began really trying to reach out and learn more. After discussions with many researchers and my "habituator" friends, I have learned an entire different way to approach them. This has led me to where I am today, totally a believer and in complete awe of these fantastic Primal People.

KB

• Upvote 2

Very cool, KB. Have you shared here about the incident where your son was chased. Can you point me in right direction - I would love to read it!

I think it'd be interesting to hear Mel Blanc's son's thoughts on the Sierra Sounds...or the dude from Police Academy...Bobbie McFerrin too....

There are places in the Sierra Sounds that I don't think a human could replicate without some trickery....

Much like the PGF, it's the gold standard IMHO....

Edited by clubbedfoot

It almost sounded like how people talk in a cheesy Kung FU movie or something but much more raspy and base sounding, the voice had a quality and depth that most normal people do not have.

Love the Kung Fu movie description! I've never heard it referenced like that before.

One year later from that event I heard what sounded like a woman mumbling or talking  from deep into a swamp by a river at 1 AM in the morning , I could not make out a word of what was being said but it gave me goose bumps and chills over my whole body.   I would try and describe it as a deaf person trying to speak.

I've heard the chatter once and describe it as people on the other end of the table talking during a dinner party. You can hear them conversing but you just can't understand what they're saying, sometimes it's kind of muddled or mumbled and sometimes its seems clear as day but in an unknown language. Nevertheless once you hear it in person, you'll never forget it.

It was my initial encounter when I heard the chatter. We were camping and sleeping in a 5th wheel when I heard something going back and forth past the window. I peeked through the curtains and saw some eyes staring right back a me. What I saw was no man, bear, or anything else commonly seen. I quickly closed the curtain and laid there paralyzed with fear listening for it to go away. Whatever it was moved away from the window and at least a few feet away then the chattering started. There must have been at least two because the chatter from one of them was further away than the one closer to the window. There were several exchanges between them. The voices were deep and speaking what sounded like distinct words although I couldn't understand them.

I have only heard a few minutes of the SS recordings and truth be told I have little interest in hearing more of them or other recordings. Why? Because the bits of SS I heard took me right back to that night camping; goose bumps, paralyzing fear and all.

Admin

Thanks everyone who has shared some very interesting stories. I am in the "Absolutely Genuine" Camp.

Guest Druid

For me I'm torn, the two instances I have are single vocalizations. However both sounds had similar tone range. The recordings I'm hoping are legit,

my reaction feels a little jaded, an almost "too good to be true" reaction and that keeps me on the fence. Honestly, I'd need to hear it in person,

hell I'd love to be exposed to a lengthy exchange of vocalizations, yes it would probably be scary as hell but worth it.

One of the most curious sounds in the Sierra Sounds in my opinion are the little whoops that accompany the speech. It is almost like they are not made by the vocal chords. I heard and recorded something similar to that in capturing a response to a broadcasted call. The hook was set from then on.

Guest jsbelljr83

I listed to the CD that came with the book Voices In The Wilderness, yesterday morning.  If I am not mistaken those tracks were recorded back in the 70's so that would account for the poor quality.  But, from what I heard, the "gibberish" did sound like an old oriental man speaking, I couldn't discern anything that sounded like words, now it makes me want to search the Net for more recordings.  I'm going on the BFRO Expedition in PA in the Fall, I am getting to amped up now!!

• 3 years later...

I read Ron Morehead’s book titled Voices in the Wilderness (2013) and found it very helpful to better understand the background of the location and the people involved in the 1971-1974 events/recordings.   The book also gave an update of further visits to the location by the author in the 90’s and 2008-2011.

Most of the book was a historical recount of what transpired in and around that high Sierra Nevada hunting camp with only 3 chapters (out of 21) in the end being speculative and disconnected to the main story.

I don’t understand why Ron is a recent proponent of the quantum creature idea (see link below from 2014), given that his book does not provide many anomalous examples that will push one in that direction.

http://ronmorehead.com/quantum-bigfoot-theory/

I recall only two occasions in the book whereas Ron and his friends ran into weird unexplained events:

1. One time Ron and Warren Johnson were walking towards a tree after hearing chattering sounds coming from that direction (they thought a BF was hiding behind the tree).  They were paralyzed and could not move forward and had to retreat – p.29.

2. Ron Morehead, Bill McDowell and Louis Johnson heard some weird clicking sounds outside their shelter.  This clicking sound then entered the shelter but it had no source that could be seen.  Ron and Bill heard the same clicking sounds at their private ranches/homes a week later. Still not knowing what caused those sounds. – p.30- 31

These 2 examples are not too compelling to push one towards a high strangeness quantum creature.

Granted, I have not read Alan Berry’s book yet (Bigfoot – 1976) that go into more anomalous events that took place at the Sierra camp.  But, it makes you wonder if other anomalous events were not included in the Voices in the Wilderness book because they were deemed too controversial.  Maybe Ron’s belief in the quantum creature is based on evidence from others and not based on his experiences?

• Upvote 1

BFF Patron

Berry documented moving lights or orbs in his book as I remember. And in reply to CM above I can't possibly see how a fox could imitate a repertoire of sounds made in the entire Sierra Sounds chronicle that led an ex-Navy cryptolinguist to catalogue whole phonetic alphabets, prosody and speech sounds emitted at twice the rate as human beings? I'd say that would be a vast oversimplification of what is on the recordings. 

Guest Cryptic Megafauna
On 10/30/2016 at 0:43 AM, bipedalist said:

Berry documented moving lights or orbs in his book as I remember. And in reply to CM above I can't possibly see how a fox could imitate a repertoire of sounds made in the entire Sierra Sounds chronicle that led an ex-Navy cryptolinguist to catalogue whole phonetic alphabets, prosody and speech sounds emitted at twice the rate as human beings? I'd say that would be a vast oversimplification of what is on the recordings. 

It is on the internet, I forget which well know BF researcher of cryptozoologist made that observation.

If I find it I will post it here.

Anyway he observed a fox making these types of sounds and I know from my own experience that foxes can make some very unusual vocalizations, especially around mating season.

Doesn't mean that is is but there may be more than one possible answer.

I would say that the sounds did have a canid flavor to them, especially the growls and snarls.

Still a very unique audio.

Lycanthropius?

Edited by Cryptic Megafauna