N A W A C - Field Study Discussion

slabdog

Hello bipto,

I saw a poster mention an observation that SSQ follow game trails by utilizing a parallel trail that is separated by several yards. Have you encountered anything that suggests this might be a method of travel used to hide themselves? Are there smaller well-worn trails adjacent to what might be considered the "main" ones? 

Counterintuitiveness may be a good thing to look at as a means of getting into the mind of the animal. I mean it seems rather obvious by now that their approach to stealth may come from their thinking differently on all counts. Perhaps outguessing them using our usual thinking methods is what the problem is when it comes to meeting up with them on our terms. It does seem as if they are masters of their terrain which may be why they appear to be such great hunters. A creature that large that can remain that large and that can move as a shadow does is a feat I've yet to understand.

On that note, when Humans want stealth then planting the heel first on the back edge and "rolling the foot onto the toes is about as quiet as we get. It would seem that the mid-tarsel break is ideally suited for such stealth in a large primate. It wouldn't be as slow in going either.

Edited by hiflier

I saw a poster mention an observation that SSQ follow game trails by utilizing a parallel trail that is separated by several yards. Have you encountered anything that suggests this might be a method of travel used to hide themselves? Are there smaller well-worn trails adjacent to what might be considered the "main" ones? 

There are a lot of game trails, some more obvious than others. I don't know enough to say they shadow a game trail with another, but our experiences tell us they do indeed shadow people on the roads. We've had members followed like that more than once. 

There are a lot of game trails, some more obvious than others. I don't know enough to say they shadow a game trail with another, but our experiences tell us they do indeed shadow people on the roads. We've had members followed like that more than once. 

The shadowing is probably the most common experience you'll hear from hunters. Most never make any connection to BF and never report it to any group. It's just one of those spooky things that happens in the woods, to many.

Have you just returned from another stint at X Bipto?

No, I was planning on going back in September, but we're having our annual retreat the same weekend I originally pencilled in. Time to take stock, regroup, and start planning for next year. 

Are all your chips in here, Bipto?  Is X the field site?

(I'm of course not including investigations of reports that come in to you.)

We've also had some guys active in the Sam Houston National Forest this summer. In the past, most of our field work has been either in X, Sam Houston, or the Big Thicket. 

What were you doing?  Game cams?  Scouting for same?

Just looking around?  I'd presume that stuff you've seen in X might heighten the significance of stuff you wouldn't have recognized as significant before.

What kind of snowfall does X normally get in the winter?

Is it typically snow covered to the extent that a typical Midwestern state / area would be?

I'm thinking in terms of track way potential.

Is it Dallas / Ft Worth type weather? Or is it north enough to get regular snow fall?

SSR Team

Bip, I know this has to have been asked a thousand times, but I lack the time and effort to search and am wondering if you could fill me in on a couple of things. Seasonally, are you guys finding different types of activity, in regards to the WA's, or a decline/rise in activity between seasons? Do they seem to be more territorial during certain times of year, or are you guys seeing a spike in activity in certain months? Are there creeks/rivers coming down from the mountains above you guys?(Forgive me, I have no idea what the terrain is like, but assume a cabin would be in the lower elevation areas) Is the cabin able to be observed from elevated vantage points? Are there elk, or only whitetails? Are there sightings in higher elevations surrounding the cabin as well, or is most of the activity at the same elevation as the cabin? During the various sightings, which I have no idea how many there have been, are they attempting to retreat to higher elevations or waterways/creek beds, or does it appear that they have no plan and just retreat in a manner as to create separation? Thanks, brutha.

Those are suuuuch WA Boy questions there PAC...:lol:

Bipto, just a quickie if you'd be so kind and following on from PAC's questions, is the general elevation of the area, even county, pretty much the same ?

All within say maye 500ft or is there a little more in your areas ?

Edited by BobbyO