Sierra Shooting From A-Z (Continued)

bipedalist

BFF Patron

Came across this paraphrased from Bigfoot by B.A. Slate and A. Berry copyright 1976 Bantam Books.  P. 5, First Chapter, Rock Giants of the Sierra

Description by two LEO's or watershed agents checking on a gravel pit by vehicle in Norcal. 

....And it circles around us letting out cries that sounded like a deaf-mute, while like a human in horrible agony both at the same time...."

Hmmmm..........

Edited by bipedalist

SSR Team

That can go two ways of course, but it's a great find B that's for sure.

Just found this from Cryptomundo

Early hominins couldn’t have heard modern speech

Our australopith ancestors heard their world differently from modern humans.

Rolf Quam at Binghamton University in New York State and colleagues have discovered rare middle ear bones from two extinct southern African hominins – Australopithecus africanus and Paranthropus robustus.

A combination of ape-like and human-like features in the bones indicate some australopiths lacked sensitivity to the midrange frequencies that modern humans use for speech.

“Anthropologists are in general agreement that these early hominins likely did not possess spoken language,†says Quam – the new findings back that claim.

His team now plans to use CT scans of the fossils and 3D virtual reconstruction of the ear anatomy to work out more precisely what the world sounded like to our distant ancestors.

Journal reference: PNAS, DOI: 10.1073/pnas.1303375110

Just found this from Cryptomundo...

A combination of ape-like and human-like features in the bones indicate some australopiths lacked sensitivity to the midrange frequencies that modern humans use for speech.

Interesting BobbyO - I wonder what implications that might have had for the (possible) utilisation of other frequencies.

I have doubts about this theory.

edited to remove a long explaination why I have doubts because I don't have the necessary references at hand to back up my thoughts.

Edited by people booger

SSR Team

You don't need references all of the time PB, its just unfortunate that in today's society you generally need them especially on the internet otherwise others generally call you out, or try to anyway.

Nothing wrong with just sharing your thoughts.

BFF Patron

Lost a long post, crappy new laptop keyboard.  Thanks for the midfrequency ref. to Paranthropus.  Always thought that was "the" phenotype for BF even if the chronologies didn't fit.

As to cutting both ways.  Why yes, I had an experience with chatter that sounded like a domestic disturbance between husband and wife BF one night.  An unknown language for sure but the cadence, intonation and delivery was all too human.  Well this was a few months before a sighting within 90 ft. of the location of hearing that exchange.   Lo & Behold, Slate & Berry describe the High Sierra Camp experiences of others as having an identical interchange heard allegedly in an unknown chatter language between what sounded like opposite sex creatures to the listener.  Of course, I hadn't bought into a BF library at that early stage of research.  Slate ref in the mid 70's.  Mine in 2007 or very late 2006.  

So yes, somebody could have flipped the "cut two ways" on me as well.  

Edited by bipedalist

SSR Team

I was actually thinking of the possibility of a certain someone reading that book and adding a part of it to a certain story virtually word for word.

But, I'm not convinced that that actually happened and would rather be inclined to think this is what they actually sound like when they communicate IE deaf-mute.

Edited by BobbyO

BFF Patron

Could happen either way IMHO.  Remember, Justin said he knew absolutely "nothing" about BF prior to this "hunt".  

Obviously chatter from BF does not sound like deaf-mutes to everyone witnessing or hearing it or there would be a ton more mention of it in the reports.

Not that reports of putative BF chatter are ubiquitous to say the least. 

As I remember, deaf-mute language was not one of the options on the table during my incident but when awakened to listen to such chatter sometimes

you don't pick up on every nuance of the continuing conversation I suppose.  

Edited by bipedalist

SSR Team

Its about people's perceptions though B isn't it, which of course will differ.

My idea of what a deaf-mute would sound like may be different to yours etc.

I'm not even sure if this is politically correct or not but in the UK " deaf and dumb " used to be the term used when I was growing up, doubt if that's " acceptable " now but I'm guessing it would be the same kind of noise that " deaf-mute's " would make.

Who's to say it doesn't sound like what some people would describe Sasquatch communication like, it could well be.

BFF Patron

Well not to belabor the point but it is obviously not mentioned enough to be the primary or first thought that registers with those that hear Sasquatch chatter shall I say.  

I suppose we will never know without a recording of "deaf-mute" BF chatter.  I sure didn't hear it on Sasquatch Ontario or Sierra Sounds......  but maybe somebody else did, LOL. 

I'm wondering if Scott Nelson has ever discussed the matter but I suppose that is best left for the chatter and language threads......  so be it. 

SSR Team

But this is what I'm saying B, it just people's different interpretations of what may be the sound of a deaf-mute for example.

I know I have read reports that have described alleged communication between Sasquatches that sound like how deaf people talk, its described in many ways but it all points in the same direction.

Jibberish, jibber jabber, its described like that.

My Mom tutored deaf children as a volunteer and the sounds they made were not like jibberish.  They actually tried to move their mouths to form the words and it was slow and deliberate.  No one ever said is sounded like jibberish.....jeesh.

What jibberish means to most of us is something like what 2 yr olds do when they can speak some words but are more intuned to the action parts of communication.  They will make their voice do the lilting sound for a question and then copy what the adults do when answering a question.  Their eyes and body language, especially facial movement is communication.  Watch videos of babies talking (communicating) to each other.

SSR Team

Again, it's people's interpretations, which may be different time and time and time again.

I have heard deaf people attempt to talk, to me it sounds like they're talking jibberish but then again, do I know precisely what jibberish actually sounds like ?

I don't know, but my interpretation of it was like that.

Have I ever read Sasquatch sighting reports that describe hearing jibberish type talk ?

Yes, more than once.

An example :

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=12601

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=9051

Have I hear Sasquatch sighting reports that describe hearing alleged communications that sound like deaf people talking ?

Yes, this very thread and highly likely more if I looked.

• 3 weeks later...